Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

Well done to everyone for getting through this round. Hope everyone can enjoy some down time over the weekend.

Now that I have a bit of breathing space I’m curious about the visual recordings aspect of the exam. Are all recordings watched or is it only if the quality of your paper raises a concern? I understood from something that I read that there was a certain anonymity, with the written exams at least, so wouldn’t the recoding eliminate that.

I’m purely wondering this from the point of view of what I might have to repeat in October and the prospect of an examiner recognising me from my abysmal efforts in this round!!!

You are over thinking this, what you are asking is if the examiner watches our videos while correcting the exam papers and then 7 months later while correcting more exam papers he recognises someone who did poorly the first time and then thinks badly of them for it?? I doubt it would be the examiners in the first place that would watch the recordings but to say they are going to remember the hundreds of faces they see is a bit of a stretch!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cailinbeag00

awsah wrote: »
    You are over thinking this, what you are asking is if the examiner watches our videos while correcting the exam papers and then 7 months later while correcting more exam papers he recognises someone who did poorly the first time and then thinks badly of them for it?? I doubt it would be the examiners in the first place that would watch the recordings but to say they are going to remember the hundreds of faces they see is a bit of a stretch!

Fair point. Sleep deprivation and continuing embarrassment over today’s efforts is probably getting the better of me. Time to switch off Boards I think. Best of luck for results everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Diamond_Hands

Just to be clear nobody is watching you do the exam. There's an automated technology that Proctorio uses which flags 'suspicious' behaviour. When something is flagged, the administrator (presumably a representative of the Law Soc) can watch the part of the video to see if anything suspicious occurred. They can either say that it's fine or they can take further action. But nobody's watching you do the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭catonafence

Well done to everyone for getting through this round. Hope everyone can enjoy some down time over the weekend.

Now that I have a bit of breathing space I’m curious about the visual recordings aspect of the exam. Are all recordings watched or is it only if the quality of your paper raises a concern? I understood from something that I read that there was a certain anonymity, with the written exams at least, so wouldn’t the recoding eliminate that.

I’m purely wondering this from the point of view of what I might have to repeat in October and the prospect of an examiner recognising me from my abysmal efforts in this round!!!

My take on this is that the videos are only watched if you have been flagged. There is no way that the Law Society could/would/or would want to watch the videos of 1500 candidates. All videos are not watched. The recording, in my opinion, is to ensure that even if a candidate had been flagged that to they didn’t behave in a manner in the exam that could be construed as cheating. In a sense its keeps a check on us and it is also there to prove we didn’t cheat.

I couldn’t imagine the examiners have any place in viewing these recordings. I’m sure that is done by Law Society staff and that the examiners role( as some of the most accomplished academics in their field) are solely in writing and grading the exams)

I wouldn’t worry about it. It’s really hard after weeks off cramming, not eating right and not sleeping to drive ourselves nuts worrying about the law society but now is the time to rest, mind yourself and take care of your physical and mental health. best wishes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭lawDani

ruby1998 wrote: »
    I'd shoot for all four if you can! You'd handy get them done there's so much time before October!

If I had to, I'd say Constitutional and Tort have been the hardest for me personally, so if you were to split them up I'd avoid doing them together if possible - wouldn't be impossible just a head wreck.

With Tort, its very content heavy and difficult to predict but once you get a handle on the information it's really not so bad. He's a generous marker imo and once you pick out the main points in a Q and show you understand what you're talking about you're sorted.

Constitutional however is not only content heavy and difficult to predict but is also difficult to get your head around, so you really need to take the time to understand the topics and prepare them before you can even think about learning off.

Company is very straightforward imo (we'll see after results lol) the act is a great clutch, content isn't too difficult to understand, he repeats questions often, and it's reasonably ok to predict.

I found Equity to be one of the easier ones, but I know a lot of people would disagree with that, so it's personal preference there. I just think the course is relatively short and questions are repeated.

That's just my 2 cents! Now I really need to get off this forum until results its like muscle memory checking this forum lol. Hope tort was okay for everyone he honestly is a decent marker and there's never only one way to approach a tort Q!

Thank you so much for this and the insight into each topic! Much appreciated!
    I’ll give myself a little mental break before considering either way. thanks so much :)

All the best for results!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

Anyone still feel unable to get the exams off their brain? Feel like I’m going mad

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Paraeagle

Hi guys,

I’m looking for the City Colleges manuals for Tort, EU, Constitutional and Company if anyone is looking to part ways with them :)

Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

Anyone still feel unable to get the exams off their brain? Feel like I’m going mad

I have moved on with great ease actually ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Dancing Obsession

I think that the examiner is not allowed to see you, he even doesn't know a name. It would be unjust. They only get numbers.
    I failed few times and then I passed. It doesn't matter how many times you fail but that you finally pass. Heads up, guys. It's worth it

My sleeping is disturbed. I have night mares. I had a dream that I got around 30% from those exams. Anyway I m not happy from my performance and I think I will repeat them in October. Pity because those were my last ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Diamond_Hands

I think that the examiner is not allowed to see you, he even doesn't know a name. It would be unjust. They only get numbers.
    I failed few times and then I passed. It doesn't matter how many times you fail but that you finally pass. Heads up, guys. It's worth it

It does matter how many times you fail when your firm only gives you a number of sittings to pass the exams :(

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

It does matter how many times you fail when your firm only gives you a number of sittings to pass the exams :(

That does suck tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6 shaneob96

Hi Guys if anyone would be willing to share their Company Script with me I would be grateful or if anyone has example answers from any Company exams thanks !!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 student2019

Does anyone know if trainees still have to do rotations in litigation and real estate?

Change the firm or study hard. When I passed my first exams I got flowers from my bosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

Does anyone know is Blackhall going to be delivered online from September this year? Tbh they probably haven't made a decision but just wondering what others think.......It's probably unlikely unless things majorly improve

Change the firm or study hard. When I passed my first exams I got flowers from my bosses.

The bigger firms have in their contracts if offered a TC in advance you have to pass them within 3 sittings

Doesn’t apply to everyone but can put some people under a bit of pressure

user115 wrote: »
    Does anyone know is Blackhall going to be delivered online from September this year? Tbh they probably haven't made a decision but just wondering what others think.......It's probably unlikely unless things majorly improve

I’d say online mostly but maybe some days in blackhall ! Not sure tho but will probs follow whatever the colleges are doing

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

I’d say online mostly but maybe some days in blackhall ! Not sure tho but will probs follow whatever the colleges are doing

Thanks, ya that makes sense for them to follow the colleges. Prob will be a wait and see I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

Does anyone have a solid guess when the results may be out :)

• Advertisement

The bigger firms have in their contracts if offered a TC in advance you have to pass them within 3 sittings

Doesn’t apply to everyone but can put some people under a bit of pressure

It's more than a bit of pressure. Good luck

jus_me wrote: »
    Does anyone have a solid guess when the results may be out :)

They are always quite late. They take their time. Perhaps around 6 weeks. I suppose mid May.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bigchungus

Hey guys, just wondering: I have access to lectures and notes for Constitutional and Company, but they're from 2019. Would it be possible to do well off of these and my own study to patch up any knowledge gaps, or are they too out of date and I should just shell out for the up-to-date courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wonderstruck

bigchungus wrote: »
    Hey guys, just wondering: I have access to lectures and notes for Constitutional and Company, but they're from 2019. Would it be possible to do well off of these and my own study to patch up any knowledge gaps, or are they too out of date and I should just shell out for the up-to-date courses?

If it's post CA 2014 you'll be fine, in fact i was using some notes I had from pre 2014 though I checked if anything had actually changed other than the sections. Theres loads of great Company Law stuff on the internet, 2019 isn't really out of date, just google the topic and check if any big cases / amendments happened to the law. I know theres some new covid stuff these days but it's easy enough to find stuff explaining it online.

As for constitutional, I was using notes from 2011 in 2017 and I was like googling something and was: court of appeal, what's that??! Even though I voted in that referendum?

2019 isnt that old that all I wouldnt fork out for a new book.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Lozg

Does anyone’s firm not cover the fees for Blackhall? Just wondering if this is common or if most firms cover the fees

Lozg wrote: »
    Does anyone’s firm not cover the fees for Blackhall? Just wondering if this is common or if most firms cover the fees

Most of the Dublin ones do but not sure outside Dublin tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

I am in a small firm in Dublin and they do not cover fees. I would expect it more from the bigger firms but not from smaller ones, although you could get lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭lawDani

mine doesn't. nor exam fees.. nor study leave...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Lozg

lawDani wrote: »
    mine doesn't. nor exam fees.. nor study leave...

Mine is the same. Was just wondering what is the norm. Hoping to go to Blackhall in September, it’s very expensive!

Advertisement