Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Seeing that you’re more likely to get a blood clot from a long haul flight than AZ i’m guessing you have also have decided never to fly on a long haul flight again?

I hope you don’t like sports anytime soon. The government are planning to let vaccinated people into stadiums.

AZ is associated with a specific clotting disorder, CVST, is this correlated with long haul flights?

The type of clots you can get from long haul flights and from the pill are VTEs. They are more easily diagnosed and treated than a CVST, and have a much lower mortality rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Flying Fox wrote: »
    The type of clots you can get from long haul flights and from the pill are VTEs. They are more easily diagnosed and treated than a CVST, and have a much lower mortality rate.

Yeah just like a lower mortality rate for vaccinated people. 10,000 saved in the UK so far. Clots from travel are highly dangerous too. People died from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,854 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Micky 32 wrote:
    Seeing that you’re more likely to get a blood clot from a long haul flight than AZ i’m guessing you have also have decided never to fly on a long haul flight again?

I hope you don’t like sports anytime soon. The government are planning to let vaccinated people into stadiums.
    It's a situation where I don't have all the information but when you see countries moving away from the vaccine then you have to take notice.
    Just because our horrendous government haven't decided to move away from it doesn't mean I should just keep the head down and plough on and take it. I'm calling them horrendous due to many other things they've done, not because of any decision on AZ.
    Likelihood is I'm going to be offered Pfizer anyways as there'll be a lot more of that than AZ at the end of this month when I'll be due to get it.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Yeah just like a lower mortality rate for vaccinated people. 10,000 saved in the UK so far. Clots from travel are highly dangerous too.

This 10,000 arose from both AZ and PB. As far as we know, PB does not pose the same level of risk as AZ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's a situation where I don't have all the information but when you see countries moving away from the vaccine then you have to take notice.
    Just because our horrendous government haven't decided to move away from it doesn't mean I should just keep the head down and plough on and take it. I'm calling them horrendous due to many other things they've done, not because of any decision on AZ.
    Likelihood is I'm going to be offered Pfizer anyways as there'll be a lot more of that than AZ at the end of this month when I'll be due to get it.

What on earth has the government got to do with this, this kind of comment makes it very hard to take your posts seriously. You post the same stuff every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,209 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I certainly won't be taking it.

You've been repeating that for at least the last week or so. I think everyone knows by now you won't be taking it & nothing was ever going to change your mind

Turtwig wrote: »
    This 10,000 arose from both AZ and PB. As far as we know, PB does not pose the same level of risk as AZ.

Mostly AZ. Approx 20 million administered in the UK already.

Flying Fox wrote: »

Still DVT’s kill between 60k-100k people in the US annually.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

Are they giving AZ to over 70s? A neighbour said that’s the one she is getting and she is 70+.

• Advertisement

You've been repeating that for at least the last week or so. I think everyone knows by now you won't be taking it & nothing was ever going to change your mind

So you take that line out of my post and have nothing to say about the decisions made by France or Australia?

1huge1 wrote:
    What on earth has the government got to do with this, this kind of comment makes it very hard to take your posts seriously. You post the same stuff every day.

The people making the decisions in France and Australia are from the government, are you saying it's different here?

So you take that line out of my post and have nothing to say about the decisions made by France or Australia?

What is there to comment on ?

It's been mentioned in other threads already. Not going to rehash the same points on this one, it'd be pointless doubling up

What is there to comment on ?

It's been mentioned in other threads already. Not going to rehash the same points on this one.
    It seems more like to me that you just like to get personal.

It seems more like to me that you just like to get personal.

How ironic

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I thought antivax nonsense was banned from this thread

The people making the decisions in France and Australia are from the government, are you saying it's different here?

It could be to try and prevent vaccine hesitancy ( i believe France is known for it )seems to be a lot of that going around lately.

Somebody suggesting antivax nonsense accusations when the person they are talking about is very keen to get a vaccine just not the AZ one.

Somebody suggesting antivax nonsense accusations when the person they are talking about is very keen to get a vaccine just not the AZ one.
    We get it, you've said it about 30 times, you'll just goto the back of the queue

Pfizer have submitted for approval in the US for 12-15 year olds

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 16,496 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Just for a comment on this, no one would be surprised by France, they're a vaccine hesitant nation after scandals in the late 90's early 00's, their prospects of getting to herd immunity are slim without a lot of work. Australia are also zero COVID at the moment (although makes you wonder why the UK sent them any vaccine) so they can afford to be choosy, at least until tourism opens up and they're left with a big problem.

astrofool wrote: »
    Just for a comment on this, no one would be surprised by France, they're a vaccine hesitant nation after scandals in the late 90's early 00's, their prospects of getting to herd immunity are slim without a lot of work. Australia are also zero COVID at the moment (although makes you wonder why the UK sent them any vaccine) so they can afford to be choosy, at least until tourism opens up and they're left with a big problem.

Australia could probably require vaccine travel passports. If there are any community outbreaks they could probably apply ring vaccinations programmes to quickly stamp it out and use less severe lockdowns.

I don't really see NZ or AUS having the problems people think they will have with tourism.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

Turtwig wrote: »
    Australia could probably require vaccine travel passports. If there are any community outbreaks they could probably apply ring vaccinations programmes to quickly stamp it out and use less severe lockdowns.

I don't really see NZ or AUS having the problems people think they will have with tourism.

They'll have some problems - the bigest will be accepting that they will have to accept some level of Covid and not just lock up. And unless they can get heard immunity through vaccination of their own population, then it'll be impossible for it not to go the way it went everywhere else!

We get it, you've said it about 30 times, you'll just goto the back of the queue
    Most likely I'll be offered Pfizer, only about a 20% chance I'll be offered AZ at the end of this month. I'm sure I'll find a way not to get AZ without having to go to the back of the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

EU about to start negotiating on 2nd gen vaccines - probably Pfizer/BionTech
    The EU is about to start negotiations with a single pharmaceutical company to secure up to 1.8 billion doses of a "second generation" mRNA vaccine to combat future variants, a European Commission source said.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-04-eu-poised-bn-2nd-generation-vaccine.html

All this talk of AZ and then...

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0409/1208862-eu-medicines-agency-vaccine/

99.9% of people, the risk/benefit of any EMA approved vaccine is to take the first vaccine offered.

Sure how many people would develop a blood clot from a long haul flight if millions were to fly tomorrow?

The risk is so low we just accept as life is not a zero risk game.

Most likely I'll be offered Pfizer, only about a 20% chance I'll be offered AZ at the end of this month. I'm sure I'll find a way not to get AZ without having to go to the back of the queue.

Great civic attitude.

Lets hope everyone has your attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

All this talk of AZ and then...

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0409/1208862-eu-medicines-agency-vaccine/

99.9% of people, the risk/benefit of any EMA approved vaccine is to take the first vaccine offered.

Sure how many people would develop a blood clot from a long haul flight if millions were to fly tomorrow?

The risk is so low we just accept as life is not a zero risk game.

The idea of picking and choosing a vaccine would never even work. That's not the way medicine operates and would lead to total chaos if even attempted. 'Take the first vaccine you're offered' is very good advice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement