Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

It's still a mess, avoid.

Cheers, 2k19 is meant to be the best but from what I've seen is rarely on sale

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

They're never discounted at all are they. Kids want it but they're constantly premium priced and never appear in the Xbox sales or EA Access. I figure it's WWE themselves not allowing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Hococop wrote: »
    Cheers, 2k19 is meant to be the best but from what I've seen is rarely on sale

2K19 is the best WWE game period. It's got everything you could want.

Hurrache wrote: »
    They're never discounted at all are they. Kids want it but they're constantly premium priced and never appear in the Xbox sales or EA Access. I figure it's WWE themselves not allowing it.

WWE games? They're always cheap, I got the deluxe version of 2K19 3 months after it came out for €30. Can find them all now below €20. Disc, not digital atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Picked up my Series X on release day, but only started playing my first game (Ass Creed Valhalla) on it a few days ago. Very fast loading times and it's very quiet and I like the looks of the console. Very very happy with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭YoshiReturns

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Picked up my Series X on release day, but only started playing my first game (Ass Creed Valhalla) on it a few days ago. Very fast loading times and it's very quiet and I like the looks of the console. Very very happy with it.

Why did you wait ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Why did you wait ?

Well, most of my games are on my One X and PS4 Pro so they kept me busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

You do know you could have played your one X games on the series X and benefited from the fast load time etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Am I having a brain fart or can I play a series S on a TV that’s in a different room? My sons console is up in his room hooked up to a small 19” TV but id love to be able to get a few sneaky games of gears onto the OLED downstairs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭YoshiReturns

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Am I having a brain fart or can I play a series S on a TV that’s in a different room? My sons console is up in his room hooked up to a small 19” TV but id love to be able to get a few sneaky games of gears onto the OLED downstairs!

Why be sneaky?
    Get Series X
    Connect Series X to OLED
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭Conar

If it's a Sony OLED with Android TV you can probably sideload the Android app and remote play the console. I did it on the Shield TV but it wasn't great. If it's an LG I doubt there's any way.

Might be just easier to bring the console down.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

If you hook up the two consoles on the same network you can quickly and easily transfer your games to your Series X.

Games will be much better to play. You get faster load times, HDR boost and many are starting to get FPS boost too.

It's a much better expereince.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Not sure if this can be imported post brexit, but the expansion drive for the new consoles is on sale in the UK.

See here. £40 off.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Not sure if this can be imported post brexit, but the expansion drive for the new consoles is on sale in the UK.

See here. £40 off.

That's a good price as Curry's Ireland is still €269 but you'd definitely get excise and vat costs added at delivery.

Only thing I can think of is to collect from a store in Northern Ireland but restrictions of movement is a problem.

Maybe sit tight and price may eventually drop here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Still a crazy price on top of a £450 console, tempted by the £40 off but can't justify it ...... I think lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

Fair enough for those that can afford it, but when you can just attach a normal usb drive to the Xbox and use it as cold storage I don't really see a huge advantage for the official drive.

Probes wrote: »
    Fair enough for those that can afford it, but when you can just attach a normal usb drive to the Xbox and use it as cold storage I don't really see a huge advantage for the official drive.

Can easily get a 4TB drive for a 100 quid that does the job.

SMC92Ian wrote: »

How long would a drive like that take to transfer 10GB across to the Series X?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

If the rooms are close together, you could use a long HDMI cable and either a HDMI splitter or HDMI switcher. Rooms need to be close enough that the XBox controller's signal is still received - that's your weak point. Alternatively, for the XBox One, you could stream (not the same as cloud-computing) over your network directly from your XBox to a windows 10 PC/laptop (which you could plug into your telly via HDMI) and pair or plugin a controller into the PC. It's pretty high bandwidth, so you need a fast Wifi network with good connectivity, or a wired network. Unfortunately, Microsoft hasn't provided an updated companion XBox app for the Series X/S that supports this feature just yet, but hopefully will re-introduce this feature in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Basil3 wrote: »

I transferred hitman from an external to the internal yesterday, it was 67gb and it took around the 10 min mark, maybe slightly under.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Ok yeah thanks so it’s a no go! I think I was getting confused with the way you can connect a windows laptop up to play via the console, cheers I’ll sneak the console down on Saturday morning when I have the house to myself

Basil3 wrote: »

I have one for my X and transfers 50-100gb games in 5 mins. Not that long. Got a 4tb in Argos for €80. It's mainly there just to hold games I don't really play a lot or a future plays.

You can pick up a 2Tb SSD drive for €64 plus postage. Transferring back and forth should be a breeze and the added bonus is it will play non S/X enhanced games with no performance hit.

https://www.amazon.de/Externe-Festplatte-Extern-Desktop-Laptop/dp/B08Z3LT4NN/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=xbox+storage&qid=1617916977&sr=8-12

I haven't purchased one myself so I can't vouch for the quality. Reviews seem decent enough though.

SMC92Ian wrote: »

No it's not the same as the expensive one is the same is the solid state drive in the xbox.

You cannot play new Series X games from a normal drive as it's not fast enough.

Even with back compat games the difference in load times is huge and I know I can't go back to games from a normal hard drive.

Liamalone wrote: »
    Still a crazy price on top of a £450 console, tempted by the £40 off but can't justify it ...... I think lol.

Yes €279 for a €499 console (why are people quoting UK prices?) is expensive and the UK sale price helps but still very expensive.

I know eventually I'll need more SSD storage but I'm prepared to simply wait as the expectation is that it will get opened up to more manufacturers and then the price will drop.

For the moment I just keep the games I want on the internal drive and other games on external storage or just simply on the cloud.

I would then switch them to the internal storage if required so it's not a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Liamalone

I'm prepared to wait also, barely play the thing anyways!

I live in the north, that's why I use sterling prices lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭mossie

You can pick up a 2Tb SSD drive for €64 plus postage. Transferring back and forth should be a breeze and the added bonus is it will play non S/X enhanced games with no performance hit.

https://www.amazon.de/Externe-Festplatte-Extern-Desktop-Laptop/dp/B08Z3LT4NN/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=xbox+storage&qid=1617916977&sr=8-12

I haven't purchased one myself so I can't vouch for the quality. Reviews seem decent enough though.

Are you sure that's SSD? Didn't mention it in the specs and it's way cheaper than any 1 tb SSD I can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

mossie wrote: »
    Are you sure that's SSD? Didn't mention it in the specs and it's way cheaper than any 1 tb SSD I can find.

States there are no mechanical parts, might be cheaper due to basically being a giant usb key than a normal ssd.

Most likely to have much slower read/write speeds than a sata or m.2 based external.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

States there are no mechanical parts, might be cheaper due to basically being a giant usb key than a normal ssd.

Says it's an M2 drive, which makes sense given the shape. No idea how they have it that small.

Those reviews that it has look extremely sus to me, to be honest. All five stars, some of them using PS4 and Xbox interchangeably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

CatInABox wrote: »
    Says it's an M2 drive, which makes sense given the shape. No idea how they have it that small.

Those reviews that it has look extremely sus to me, to be honest. All five stars, some of them using PS4 and Xbox interchangeably.

Size looks about right for a m.2 enclosure. Cant see it having that capacity in an m.2 at that price though.

Advertisement