Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

That one has always been an attention-seeking fairy. I'd say spending even 2 minutes in her company would make you miserable.

Which one? Newton or Page? Because Thandiwe is easy on the eye. Would be quite happy spending some time in her company.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

one airline I wont be flying on, there are certain jobs that you assume are there becuase they are the best of the best they can get, this is one of them

https://twitter.com/united/status/1379426304857141250

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

silverharp wrote: »
    one airline I wont be flying on, there are certain jobs that you assume are there becuase they are the best of the best they can get, this is one of them

Western society going in reverse in its inexorable effort to virtue signal. We are living in surreal times

Airline pilots and brain surgeons are the examples I have been using for years for why I think quotas or affirmative actions of any sort are regressive. If I am having brain surgery or being flown in a plane my only criteria is the best people for the jobs have gotten through the selection process. To put any ''squeeze'' or limitation on qualifying for such positions, beyond absolutely essential technical skills and meeting medical criteria, is an unbelievably stupid thing to do, in its very essence.

We used to have nepotism, where the bosses idiot son got to become a branch manager or similar, despite being totally unsuitable for the role.
    Now we could have airline pilots doing these jobs to "make up the numbers", regardless of their abilities.
    No doubt there are many of the "minority" who have the competency to match the "majority", but what about the ones who are pushed up the ladder to make up the numbers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

How did America become such a joke country?

I've a fair idea but probably not allowed to say why on a public forum such as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Airline pilots and brain surgeons are the examples I have been using for years for why I think quotas or affirmative actions of any sort are regressive. If I am having brain surgery or being flown in a plane my only criteria is the best people for the jobs have gotten through the selection process. To put any ''squeeze'' or limitation on qualifying for such positions, beyond absolutely essential technical skills and meeting medical criteria, is an unbelievably stupid thing to do, in its very essence.

i'd add the military, firemen, police even, the quality shouldnt drop for quotas because they deal with life and death

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

i'd add the military, firemen, police even, the quality shouldnt drop for quotas because they deal with life and death

No they shouldn't. If you are not up to the job then do something else. Whatever sex or race you are. I am completely against quotas.

Focus on the reasons that people don't reach the quality rather then lowering the quality requirements.

Communism doesn't work. Meritocracy works.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,022 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Demonising of intellectual and scientific experts in order to keep the masses in fear of God and their government in order to make a ****load of money.

First really noticeable under Nixon (although it probably has earlier roots), acclerated by Reagan and - well, the genie was well and truly out of the bottle by the time Trump came to power.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

No they shouldn't. If you are not up to the job then do something else. Whatever sex or race you are. I am completely against quotas.

Focus on the reasons that people don't reach the quality rather then lowering the quality requirements.

But how are you measureing "merit" - the police over there aren't exactly known for the conflict resolution skills and ensuring safety...? They're frequently just as terrified as some of the people they're sworn to protect.

Meritocracy only works if the the standards of merit are high, and the people with natural ability are given equal oppertunites to the training required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

We used to have nepotism, where the bosses idiot son got to become a branch manager or similar, despite being totally unsuitable for the role.
    Now we could have airline pilots doing these jobs to "make up the numbers", regardless of their abilities.
    No doubt there are many of the "minority" who have the competency to match the "majority", but what about the ones who are pushed up the ladder to make up the numbers?

sounds like rte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

100%
    Lowering requirements for students because they have been 'traumatised' over whatever or because of immutables like race/ethnicity/sex has already begun in the US.
    It would not surprise me if it's also here in some form

Meritocracy only works if the the standards of merit are high, and the people with natural ability are given equal oppertunites to the training required.
    That would be a separate thread I would think. What about ppl who work their way up against all sorts of issues and finally have the experience and qualifications only to be told sorry you cant get the job because you are not aligned correctly on our BS virtue pyramid.....hardly fair that now is it!!

That is Wrong... just wrong

rightmove wrote: »
    That would be a separate thread I would think. What about ppl who work their way up against all sorts of issues and finally have the experience and qualifications only to be told sorry you cant get the job because you are not aligned correctly on our BS virtue pyramid.....hardly fair that now is it!!

That is Wrong... just wrong

I would agree - but there are lots of people in very positions simply because they ARE aligned correctly. That's equally wrong.

First thing you want to do to implement a meritocracy is to scrap democracy. Popularity is not merit.

I would agree - but there are lots of people in very positions simply because they ARE aligned correctly. That's equally wrong.

First thing you want to do to implement a meritocracy is to scrap democracy. Popularity is not merit.

I think the bit you miss is that the ppl who are aligned correctly will have the backing of the ppl who want a new alignment, due to the nature of power control. Those who have it want to keep it, and those who want it will fight for it only to come to an arrangement with the existing establishment. In irish history it t'would be called you can keep your land but you need to obey the new order. The only ones squeezed out will be the folks who probably worked on true honest merit to get as far as they could since these are the only fools who think that you will be rewarded by getting up early in the morning to quote a person who is part of both the old alignment and the new alignment in a personified example of what I am describing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Did anyone actually care about her name (either one of them)?
    Was it actually a barrier of entry for her acting career and only now she feels she can "take it back" ?
    wtf is this rubbish?

Besides there are plenty of actors/musicians who have stage names/slightly different spelling of their real name etc
    Its not exactly unusual to create a more "marketable" name and run with that, but nope, I guess that goes onto the racism list too.

The biggest problem seems to be, everything that is said is just taken at face value.
    Nothing is ever challenged anymore.
    Not that I am a fan of him, but fair play to Piers Morgan for actually calling out atleast one example, the "I think she is lying" == racist.

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    Was it actually a barrier of entry for her acting career and only now she feels she can "take it back" ?
    wtf is this rubbish?

Besides there are plenty of actors/musicians who have stage names/slightly different spelling of their real name etc
    Its not exactly unusual to create a more "marketable" name and run with that, but nope, I guess that goes onto the racism list too.

The biggest problem seems to be, everything that is said is just taken at face value.
    Nothing is ever challenged anymore.
    Not that I am a fan of him, but fair play to Piers Morgan for actually calling out atleast one example, the "I think she is lying" == racist.
    For some crazy reason it was the most read "news" item on the BBC news site the other day....
    People so switched off about covid that they'll read any old crap instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Wallet Inspector

Also she was born in November 1972. It's not 2013/14. She is not 41.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Celchick wrote: »
    Also she was born in November 1972. It's not 2013/14. She is not 41.

Hmmm... how long will it take her to correct that? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

And there was me thinking that Rod Stewart was singing about genocide in his song Young Turks

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1379468714815467524

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

That's a big ageist though isn't it? 'Young'?

I for one am offended on behalf of young people.

Oh, and old people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

If companies are saying they're going to have diversity targets, doesn't that mean they're admitting they've been sexist/racist by not giving the job to the best candidate?

That's what I take from all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Nermal

Yes it is. The electorate judging who's best. Not you. Not 'experts'.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Nermal wrote: »
    Yes it is. The electorate judging who's best. Not you. Not 'experts'.

I think certain roles should require qualifications within a democracy, for example I would like to see County/City Managers being elected but that the candidates would have to have experience and qualifications to meet that role, weather in finance or in engineering or city planning etc.

Anyway I think there are a lot of people put into positions due to who they know.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ultimate flaw of such a system is it rewards deviousness and cheating long term??

Under a meritocracy,people like seanie fitzpatrick would have been ministers of finance in 07/08 based on performance of his bank

• Registered Users Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »

Besides there are plenty of actors/musicians who have stage names/slightly different spelling of their real name etc .

Her name is actually Melanie Thandiwe Newton, maybe she always went by her second name, but I wouldn't take that tweet above at face value either...

Plenty of actors use stage names, just found out Helen Mirren's real name is Ilyena Lydia Mironoff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

170380531_3892964720782807_6697465450698397654_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=JQRIKn2DNycAX-aEaNg&_nc_ht=scontent-bog1-1.xx&oh=18c509725299f23098fa631c9c2792b0&oe=6093649C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ah that has to be a piss take...

Edit: Oh sweet jesus it's real!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement