Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Schools and Covid 19 (part 5) **Mod warnings in OP**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Beasty wrote: »
    Why on earth would they be excluded?

All adults, not in cohorts 1 to 8, fall into cohort 9:confused:

Then the confusion is mine it seems .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Not completely. They effectively want the rest of us to move down to a new cohort and they can be 9 all on their own!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If teachers weren't ever being vaccinated, I would support them in their strike action, it would seem a bit callous of the rest of society to be so anti-magister (but I guess they do have their own schools).

is_that_so wrote: »
    Not completely. They effectively want the rest of us to move down to a new cohort and they can be 9 all on their own!

I thought it was a parallel twin track system that was proposed ? Honestly at this stage I’m in the don’t care category.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

I thought it was a parallel twin track system that was proposed ? Honestly at this stage I’m in the don’t care category.

How would a twin track work ? You are either jabbed ahead of someone older, or you arent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭derb12

How would a twin track work ? You are either jabbed ahead of someone older, or you arent.

Plenty of people currently being jabbed before someone older. The sequencing isn’t so precise - it all depends on where you are, how quickly your gp filed the paperwork etc. Other countries are managing to say we are in phase whatever now, so it is over 70s, law enforcement and essential retail or whatever. Why do people keep insisting that it any system other than by age is just too complicated. Are we really that stupid?

I would really be embarrassed for our professsion if we chose to strike over this

I'm actually happy to see that the Union are fighting for the safety of their members.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

TheTorment wrote: »
    I'm actually happy to see that the Union are fighting for the safety of their members.

That is ok, tell the kids ye teach.after one of their parents dies from it because was more important to give the vaccine to a 30 year old teacher at a lower risk than a 50 year old parent.

derb12 wrote: »
    Plenty of people currently being jabbed before someone older. The sequencing isn’t so precise - it all depends on where you are, how quickly your gp filed the paperwork etc. Other countries are managing to say we are in phase whatever now, so it is over 70s, law enforcement and essential retail or whatever. Why do people keep insisting that it any system other than by age is just too complicated. Are we really that stupid?

System other than by age is slower to admin. Hence all the double bookings currently.
    Our public sector doesnt have a way of dealing with things effectively.

For this phase there is a lot of parallel first shot vaccination taking place. Onc we've completed 1-8 that's gone. What we should see then with Group 9 is age groups being invited to register, but May/June seems more like a start date.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    For this phase there is a lot of parallel first shot vaccination taking place. Onc we've completed 1-8 that's gone. What we should see then with Group 9 is age groups being invited to register, but May/June seems more like a start date.

Yeah giving what was said yerlsterday, they expect over 40's to be done by end of june

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Excoriating teachers for wanting to be vaccinated, given their essential status, seems churlish and childish to me.

I’ve spoken with 3 people under 50 this past eeek who have been vaccinated, 2 working predominantly from home and if in the office, strictly distanced by metres of empty office space, the other working full time from home. All public servants, no underlying conditions or vulnerability yet fully vaccinated.

Where’s the opprobrium for this cohort?

That is ok, tell the kids ye teach.after one of their parents dies from it because was more important to give the vaccine to a 30 year old teacher at a lower risk than a 50 year old parent.

As is I know 2 people who are not in front facing roles in any shape or form who have been vaccinated. If they are typical which I presume they are the definition of Health Care worker was / is very very broad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Excoriating teachers for wanting to be vaccinated, given their essential status, seems churlish and childish to me.

I’ve spoken with 3 people under 50 this past eeek who have been vaccinated, 2 working predominantly from home and if in the office, strictly distanced by metres of empty office space, the other working full time from home. All public servants, no underlying conditions or vulnerability yet fully vaccinated.

Where’s the opprobrium for this cohort?

Do these people work for the HSE/DOH or elsewhere in the PS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Norma on RTE Radio 1 just now. She has an incredible talent for not answering questions and getting away with it. “Let me be clear” whilst being totally unclear and waffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Do these people work for the HSE/DOH or elsewhere in the PS?

2 HSE, 1 different PS branch.

My point is they are vaccinated despite no interaction with the public whatsoever. Admin staff.

2 HSE, 1 different PS branch.

My point is they are vaccinated despite no interaction with the public whatsoever. Admin staff.

Thanks. I had read/heard of HSE admin staff being vaccinated but not wider PS admin staff.

Tbh, the only people I personally know who have been vaccinated are elderly people and HCWs. I know several people in Group 4 and none even have their 1st dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Thanks. I had read/heard of HSE admin staff being vaccinated but not wider PS admin staff.

Tbh, the only people I personally know who have been vaccinated are elderly people and HCWs. I know several people in Group 4 and none even have their 1st dose.

I know of people who as PS office workers who have also been vaccinated. Working from home and in their late 20s and early 30s.

This is the type of thing that makes people/ teachers so annoyed. The rollout makes no sense. It's pretty much down to luck in some cases yet we have our local politicians out saying how great they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I know three healthy young men in HSE admin who were vaccinated early on .They never clap eyes on patients and are working from home in admin roles

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    I know of people who as PS office workers who have also been vaccinated. Working from home and in their late 20s and early 30s.

This is the type of thing that makes people/ teachers so annoyed. The rollout makes no sense. It's pretty much down to luck in some cases yet we have our local politicians out saying how great they are doing.

How have these people gained access to the Vaccine though ? Leaving aside HSE/Hospital Staff.
    My sister is PS (Admin WFH). She is early 40s and healthy. No-one she works with is vaccinated incl some who would fall into Group 4 through health issues.

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I know three healthy young men in HSE admin who were vaccinated early on .They never clap eyes on patients and are working from home in admin roles

Yes, I have heard of it in HSE. I am talking about wider PS.

iamwhoiam wrote: »

And that's why people should be annoyed. These people are deemed more important than the older 70s, and all people who are going out to work every day! Not just teachers! Everyone should be sticking together. Everyone! But instead people are engaging in the national past time of teacher bashing!

Yes, I have heard of it in HSE. I am talking about wider PS.

The people I know of do not work for the HSE. They work for one of the city councils.

How have these people gained access to the Vaccine though ? Leaving aside HSE/Hospital Staff.
    My sister is PS (Admin WFH). She is early 40s and healthy. No-one she works with is vaccinated incl some who would fall into Group 4 through health issues.

Their middle manager organised it. This is not hear say. I know this person.

The people I know of do not work for the HSE. They work for one of the city councils.

I find that very frustrating tbh.
    My elderly Mum (80+ with underlying conditions) finally got Dose 1 last week. My sister with Special Needs and underlying issues is still waiting.

Personally, I think that the Gardai should have been done after/alongside HCWs and I think that Teachers should be after the elderly and medically vulnerable if the Government insist on keeping Schools fully open with full classes 5 days a week with limited mitigation and no masks for older Primary children. Just my opinion.

I am a SAHM and Husband WFH both in our mid-late 40s so we will be vaccinated sooner because of this change to the Rollout.

And that's why people should be annoyed. These people are deemed more important than the older 70s, and all people who are going out to work every day! Not just teachers! Everyone should be sticking together. Everyone! But instead people are engaging in the national past time of teacher bashing!

That is what I find so frustrating - part the tell that to a child in your class whose 50 year old parent .... emotional bull**** when there are a significant cohort of people who have been vacc due to working for the HSE though they are in admin wfh roles. Yet teachers are the devil incarnate.
    Personally I’m leaning towards age vacc to ensure the quickest roll out as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

I do think the HSE scr*wed up by opening the registration portal to all HSE employees rather than just frontline employees. They probably didn't have an internal list of who was frontline and who was admin, and therefore just opened it to everyone.

I sincerely hope some journalist has submitted an FOI request to the HSE to require the number of vaccinated individuals who are WFH. I would assume after the Beacon debacle one would have been submitted. It'll take three weeks to get an answer under the legislation.

Yeah giving what was said yerlsterday, they expect over 40's to be done by end of june
    I'm far more cautious on these claims but people want to hear them. Let's see those jabs first!

JDD wrote: »
    I do think the HSE scr*wed up by opening the registration portal to all HSE employees rather than just frontline employees. They probably didn't have an internal list of who was frontline and who was admin, and therefore just opened it to everyone.

I sincerely hope some journalist has submitted an FOI request to the HSE to require the number of vaccinated individuals who are WFH. I would assume after the Beacon debacle one would have been submitted. It'll take three weeks to get an answer under the legislation.
    By which time nobody will care but Prime Time will investigate! There will be missteps with a huge undertaking like this with such fluid supply issues and we need to roll with them.

• Advertisement

JDD wrote: »

I’m more of a what happened happened type of person. I certainly wouldn’t be baying for blood for those that got vacc under the HSE banner who were working from home or not in front line positions but I find the vitriolic against school staff hard to take when there have been plenty who have been vacc prior to the elderly due to where they work as opposed to being public facing.

Advertisement