Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Schools and Covid 19 (part 5) **Mod warnings in OP**

1235744

Comments



  • SusanC10 wrote: »
    I find that very frustrating tbh.
    My elderly Mum (80+ with underlying conditions) finally got Dose 1 last week. My sister with Special Needs and underlying issues is still waiting.

    Personally, I think that the Gardai should have been done after/alongside HCWs and I think that Teachers should be after the elderly and medically vulnerable if the Government insist on keeping Schools fully open with full classes 5 days a week with limited mitigation and no masks for older Primary children. Just my opinion.

    I am a SAHM and Husband WFH both in our mid-late 40s so we will be vaccinated sooner because of this change to the Rollout.

    I also find it very frustrating as both my parents are waiting on their first doses. And currently there is no sign of it. But hopefully they will hear something in the next couple of weeks.

    I am sorry to hear about your sister and glad to hear at least your mam has had her first dose. Those HSE ads on the radio would annoy so many people as they are waiting and waiting and there is nothing to back them up.




  • Leftwaffe wrote: »
    Norma on RTE Radio 1 just now. She has an incredible talent for not answering questions and getting away with it. “Let me be clear” whilst being totally unclear and waffling.

    With that weird smile thing she does.




  • Whatever about whether teachers should be vaccinated as a priority group, don't secondary teachers finish up for the summer at the start of June, and primary teachers end of June?

    How many of them were likely to be vaccinated before then anyway, and is it really worth striking over?

    If the plan of all adults being vaccinated by September works out, then what difference does it really make? Teachers have no risk for all of the summer months anyway. Am I missing something?




  • Shelga wrote: »
    Whatever about whether teachers should be vaccinated as a priority group, don't secondary teachers finish up for the summer at the start of June, and primary teachers end of June?

    How many of them were likely to be vaccinated before then anyway, and is it really worth striking over?

    If the plan of all adults being vaccinated by September works out, then what difference does it really make? Teachers have no risk for all of the summer months anyway. Am I missing something?

    I agree with this. According to the schedule we are no further up or down the list than we were 2 weeks ago. I don't understand the vote to ballot for strike action. There are many other much more important issues that the unions could be fighting for and in my opinion all we are doing is making more people dislike teachers. Now I don't mind that as I love my job and most people who give out about teachers wouldn't last a day in the job!

    I had family members sneering at me last week over teachers being "kicked down the vaccine list". All of them working safely from home in their home office. And then telling me it would be next year before they go back into their actual office building. People just love to teacher bash and if that makes them feel better let them on. I will continue to do my job to the best of my ability.




  • Shelga wrote: »
    , don't secondary teachers finish up for the summer at the start of June, and primary teachers end of June?

    How many of them were likely to be vaccinated before then anyway, and is it really worth striking over?

    If the plan of all adults being vaccinated by September works out, then what difference does it really make? Teachers have no risk for all of the summer months anyway. Am I missing something?

    They want to be first in the queue for travel abroad when the cheap Ryan Air flights reopen to Lanzarote !!

    They`ll all be vaccinated and ready to go :D:D


  • Advertisement


  • Hellrazer wrote: »
    They want to be first in the queue for travel abroad when the cheap Ryan Air flights reopen to Lanzarote !!

    They`ll all be vaccinated and ready to go :D:D

    I prefer to go to Portugal myself.




  • Shelga wrote: »
    Whatever about whether teachers should be vaccinated as a priority group, don't secondary teachers finish up for the summer at the start of June, and primary teachers end of June?

    How many of them were likely to be vaccinated before then anyway, and is it really worth striking over?

    If the plan of all adults being vaccinated by September works out, then what difference does it really make? Teachers have no risk for all of the summer months anyway. Am I missing something?

    I would say you're missing a dose of pessimism.

    Personally I don't think we've a hope of having all adults fully vaccinated by September.
    Hellrazer wrote: »
    They want to be first in the queue for travel abroad when the cheap Ryan Air flights reopen to Lanzarote !!

    They`ll all be vaccinated and ready to go :D:D

    We're well into April now and there's no sign of any vaccine passport type setup and many of the continental European countries are in somewhat of another covid wave. I think people are getting fairly carried away in their thinking of what summer 21 is gonna be like.




  • Hellrazer wrote: »
    They want to be first in the queue for travel abroad when the cheap Ryan Air flights reopen to Lanzarote !!

    They`ll all be vaccinated and ready to go :D:D

    Agh yes no teacher bashing on boards - add a smily face and sure isn’t it only a joke. Any chance a thread could discuss the issue at hand without reference to holidays , pay ?




  • lulublue22 wrote: »
    Agh yes no teacher bashing on boards - add a smily face and sure isn’t it only a joke. Any chance a thread could discuss the issue at hand without reference to holidays , pay ?

    It always comes back to pay/hours schools are open/holidays! Hence why I don't let the bashing bother me.




  • lulublue22 wrote: »
    Agh yes no teacher bashing on boards - add a smily face and sure isn’t it only a joke. Any chance a thread could discuss the issue at hand without reference to holidays , pay ?

    To be honest - It actually was meant as a joke.


  • Advertisement


  • I would say you're missing a dose of pessimism.

    Personally I don't think we've a hope of having all adults fully vaccinated by September.

    I also agree with this. They need to stop talking about what is going to happen and just get on with it. Time will tell how accurate the predictions were!




  • Leftwaffe wrote: »
    Norma on RTE Radio 1 just now. She has an incredible talent for not answering questions and getting away with it. “Let me be clear” whilst being totally unclear and waffling.

    They all get away with spouting rubbish these days. The so called journalists out there constantly let them off the hook.

    How hard is it to say “that was a load of waffle that didn’t answer my question, so I’m going to ask you again..”
    Keep repeating it until you get an answer, if you don’t get an answer just terminate the interview.

    The only person I’ve heard challenge Norma properly was Sarah McInerney a couple of months back. She wasn’t letting her move on with bluffing answers.




  • Sammy2012 wrote: »
    It always comes back to pay/hours schools are open/holidays! Hence why I don't let the bashing bother me.

    I try really hard not to but I’m struggling at the moment - I love my job but it feels as if the last year has been one long dump on teachers . I probably need to take a break from boards.




  • Shelga wrote: »
    Whatever about whether teachers should be vaccinated as a priority group, don't secondary teachers finish up for the summer at the start of June, and primary teachers end of June?

    How many of them were likely to be vaccinated before then anyway, and is it really worth striking over?

    If the plan of all adults being vaccinated by September works out, then what difference does it really make? Teachers have no risk for all of the summer months anyway. Am I missing something?
    No, you're not missing anything. The teachers' unions just love to rattle sabres and make it look like they're fighting for their members.

    What will likely emerge out of this nonsense is a motion that will threaten industrial action if teachers are not vaccinated by the start of the next school year.

    And by the time they get around to even talking about it in September, everyone will be vaccinated anyway.




  • What happens now after yesterday's vote?

    Will primary schools reopen next Monday?




  • SusanC10 wrote: »
    Thanks. I had read/heard of HSE admin staff being vaccinated but not wider PS admin staff.

    Tbh, the only people I personally know who have been vaccinated are elderly people and HCWs. I know several people in Group 4 and none even have their 1st dose.


    Admin for an emergency service, wfh since last March.




  • Another point made on the current affairs thread was that even if a 30 year old teacher received his/her first vaccine does in the next week, they will not be considered fully vaccinated until 14 days after their 2nd dose- in other words, in about 7 weeks time, right as the summer holidays are about to begin.

    What is the point! Just leave it up to public health officials to decide what method of vaccine rollout makes the most sense, based on science (and doing it by age does seem to make the most sense), and just get on with it.

    I can already think of about a dozen groups of "front line" workers who would have just as much right to being as prioritised as teachers: Gardai, supermarket staff, firefighters, chiropodists, social workers, bus drivers, prison staff, postal and delivery workers, etc etc. It very quickly becomes ridiculously complicated; the only difference is that most of these workers don't have powerful unions protecting them.

    Again, just get on with it. Unions need to read the public mood on this one. They are not public health experts and should leave it to those who are to decide.




  • As a teacher I am embarrassed by our unions, yet again. Clueless.




  • lulublue22 wrote: »
    I try really hard not to but I’m struggling at the moment - I love my job but it feels as if the last year has been one long dump on teachers . I probably need to take a break from boards.

    I just look at it like this. I use my "massive" wages to go on holidays and enjoy life. I use all my time off by spending time with my kids and my friends and family and making the most of it. I don't let social media or other people's opinions into the equation at all. I work hard for the kids in my care when I am in work and spend plenty of time in the evenings doing this also. But the wages and holidays are there for all to see. It's not a secret club and anyone is free to join.

    My brother in law told me the other day he'd love to become a teacher. I laughed and told him there was no way he'd manage it as he struggles with his own kids. But in his eyes it's an easy job that anyone can do, with loads of time off. After all, everyone went to school so knows what the job entails. Yes there are crap teachers but these are few and far between today. But I find it is definitely best to ignore the haters and enjoy the job and the perks that come with it.




  • josip wrote: »
    What happens now after yesterday's vote?

    Will primary schools reopen next Monday?

    Yes of course. Nothing is happening as of yet and before there will be any sort of strike the members have to be balloted. I honestly can't see that passing.


  • Advertisement


  • Coneygree wrote: »
    As a teacher I am embarrassed by our unions, yet again. Clueless.

    Oh yes and meant to say, it's far too easy to get caught up in teacher bashing, when most teachers seem perfectly fine with the changes to the rollout.

    You couldn't pay me enough to teach a classroom of 6 year olds!

    But then that raises the question of the risks of teaching a classroom of small children, compared to a class of 18 year olds who can socially distance. So do we vaccinate primary school teachers first?

    And on and on the iterations would go...




  • If they do decide to vaccinate teachers i hope that they exclusively use the Astrazeneca which should have them fully vaccinated a few weeks before they return to school for the new school year.

    That will keep them happy and the rest of us can hopefully get the J&J, Pfizer etc.




  • celt262 wrote: »
    If they do decide to vaccinate teachers i hope that they exclusively use the Astrazeneca which should have them fully vaccinated a few weeks before they return to school for the new school year.

    That will keep them happy and the rest of us can hopefully get the J&J, Pfizer etc.

    Why? What's the difference




  • celt262 wrote: »
    If they do decide to vaccinate teachers i hope that they exclusively use the Astrazeneca which should have them fully vaccinated a few weeks before they return to school for the new school year.

    That will keep them happy and the rest of us can hopefully get the J&J, Pfizer etc.

    Can you explain your thoughts behind this?




  • Shelga wrote: »
    Oh yes and meant to say, it's far too easy to get caught up in teacher bashing, when most teachers seem perfectly fine with the changes to the rollout.

    You couldn't pay me enough to teach a classroom of 6 year olds!

    But then that raises the question of the risks of teaching a classroom of small children, compared to a class of 18 year olds who can socially distance. So do we vaccinate primary school teachers first?

    And on and on the iterations would go...

    I'm a primary teacher but I'll wait my turn. I'd rather my parents and older friends and family get vaccinated first as well as elderly people in general. A bit of common sense is needed here. Vulnerable>Elderly>Young people>Children (if applicable).

    If unions wanted to improve things for their members they would have campaigned better for the return to school last September and again in March. This is all too little too late and frankly the complete opposite of what should be happening. I'll be turning down my vaccine if I get called for it early. They did sweet nothing from March '20-August '20 and basically let individual schools sort things out for themselves. They had no problem chucking us back in this January without consulting members until their was rightful uproar from teachers and SNAs. They have absolutely no clue how to do their job and no common sense. Unfortunately that is only reinforced by the Department.




  • They've approved an emergency motion.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2021/0407/1208280-teacher-union-conference/
    "in the event that Government does not agree to schedule by the end of the current school year, vaccinations on the basis demanded above, Convention mandates a ballot of members for industrial action, up to and including strike action".

    Laughing stock. They want teachers to have their vaccinations scheduled by the end of the school year, which will only be effective during the summer.

    And if this doesn't happen, they will then ballot on taking industrial action, which will realistically only happen well after the entire population has been vaccinated anyway.

    Career bureaucrats. I'd be embarrassed if I was paying regular subs to these clowns.




  • lulublue22 wrote: »
    I try really hard not to but I’m struggling at the moment - I love my job but it feels as if the last year has been one long dump on teachers . I probably need to take a break from boards.

    I agree with Sammy. I don't know why teachers insist on getting into discussions with random strangers on the Internet, which basically amount to apologising for their very existence. The nuances of these discussions rarely stray beyond "Yeah but June, July and August!" over and over again. Why bother arguing with people who have no intention of being convinced and are mostly here to sling mud?

    I do my job to the best of my ability. My students and their parents recognise and appreciate this. I don't feel the need to justify myself to boardsies.

    My advice is simple: let the Internet abuse flow past you and enjoy your job as best you can. I love teaching. It doesn't do anyone any good to spend your spare time explaining yourself.

    Not trying to sound preachy, and apologies if I come across that way.




  • Newbie20 wrote: »
    They all get away with spouting rubbish these days. The so called journalists out there constantly let them off the hook.

    How hard is it to say “that was a load of waffle that didn’t answer my question, so I’m going to ask you again..”
    Keep repeating it until you get an answer, if you don’t get an answer just terminate the interview.

    The only person I’ve heard challenge Norma properly was Sarah McInerney a couple of months back. She wasn’t letting her move on with bluffing answers.

    Sarah McInerney pretty much cut her off that evening and said there wasn't much point in continuing the discussion if she wasn't going to answer the questions put to her.




  • As a teacher reading headlines about strikes I'm shocked and saddened

    I know Normal Foley continues to make a lot of mistakes as M of Ed but let's move on

    I think schools have become a political football since last March and it's the kids that ultimately suffer


  • Advertisement


  • antgal23 wrote: »
    As a teacher reading headlines about strikes I'm shocked and saddened

    I know Normal Foley continues to make a lot of mistakes as M of Ed but let's move on

    I think schools have become a political football since last March and it's the kids that ultimately suffer

    There wont be strikes. If it comes to a ballot it will never pass.


Advertisement