Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl leg of lamb.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Aldi also have their 100% irish half/full leg of lamb for e7.49/kg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

richie123 wrote: »
    Yes so people producing good food stay in business.
    And yes again to bad food more expensive
    Thats self explanatory purely for health reasons obesity
    Diabetes etc.
    the more expensive it is the less gets bought

There's no evidence the producers are affected by this once off LIDL offer.

You want to make bad food more expensive and good food more expensive.
    Yet somehow this will change people's eating habits or help producers?
    How will it help producers if their over-priced products sit on the shelves unsold and supermarkets cut their orders in half - based on what you have said
    "The more expensive it is the less gets bought"

You can argue current prices aren't sustainable or that junk food needs to be taxed higher, but to argue for higher prices across board will lead to more lamb \ non junk food being solid doesn't seem to add up to me.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

odyssey06 wrote: »

How will it help producers if their over-priced products sit on the shelves unsold and supermarkets cut their orders in half - based on what you have said

You can argue current prices aren't sustainable or that junk food needs to be taxed higher, but to argue for higher prices across board will lead to more lamb \ non junk food being solid doesn't seem to add up to me.

Correct there isn't.but it makes little of the leg of lamb and doesn't reflect the reality of what it cost to get it on the counter.
    Yes of course the supermarkets can sell at whatever price they want.
    Nothing we can do about that.

I still think the ****e you can buy in supermarkets is too cheap and the healthy fruit veg ect is too cheap.

It makes little of a product being sold for sweet **** all
    I think food prices in general have being too cheap for too long.

People have gotten used too cheap good quality food and it can't last.
    Theres lots of farms subsidised to the bolix losing money and its completely unsustainable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

green123 wrote: »
    I don't understand why farmers complain about cheap food in supermarkets.

Firstly I think farmers should be paid way more for their produce. A price that would mean farmers would not have to push the land so hard and not use so much fertiliser and whatever else. Less intensive farming would be better for farmers, customers and the land.

But then once the farmer sells and gets a fair price what difference is it to the farmer what price the supermarkets sell for? If they want to give it away for free sure so what?

Supermarkets have loss leaders on Easter eggs as Shelflife has pointed out in an above post.
    At Christmas they sell the tubs of sweets very cheap.

They have beer and spirits at or below cost nearly always on special offer.

I never hear the chocolate or drinks manufacturers complaining about below cost selling.

Because long term it does affect the producer.

Next year the local butchers won’t pay the big prices for spring lambs because he was left with them this year because he was priced out of the market.

That means that there are now less buyers in the market and that will affect the price and the availability of the product, if Mary can’t get her leg of lamb in her local butcher she will buy something else and thus the lamb market shrinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Shelflife wrote: »

Next year the local butchers won’t pay the big prices for spring lambs because he was left with them this year because he was priced out of the market.

That means that there are now less buyers in the market and that will affect the price and the availability of the product, if Mary can’t get her leg of lamb in her local butcher she will buy something else and thus the lamb market shrinks.

But they are selling more lambs than they would have via the deals.
    People will be buying lamb that would not have otherwise.

It's not just LIDL, almost all the major supermarkets have lamb deals running at present and this isn't the first year.
    The local butchers would have already factored in the competition, or should have.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭kk.man

Shelflife wrote: »

V true. Talking to the the local butcher losing 10 - 15e per lamb but has to stock it.

Make no mistake this is supermarket power they demand a price drop from the factories during the 'offers' and if they don't get it, it's goodbye contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

It's not just LIDL, almost all the major supermarkets have lamb deals running at present and this isn't the first year.
    The local butchers would have already factored in the competition, or should have.

For this year yes , but it will affect it in future years , what happens if they decide not to do a lamb offer next year ?

Local butchers won’t want to be burnt a second year so will cut back, supermarket will run whatever offer they want and farmers will be left with a glut of lambs.

Supermarkets don’t give a ****e about the producers and will only buy at a price that suits them and are happy to mess the market around.

It’s not sustainable and it’s not good practice to have seriously dominant buyers out there.

Years ago I worked for a meat factory, the supermarket over ordered products and sent back a full container (Artic) of product because the labels on the outer cases weren’t straight. Didn’t care that they were screwing us over.

We managed to relabel and send it out again in time so we were lucky.

That’s what you’re up against.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Also the kill of hoggets/lambs compared to last year is well down even prices north of 7 50 couldnt draw them out.
    Wheres the factory cartels we hear some talking about?

Theyre hammering each other in the marts to get supplies

It just goes to show where something is scarce you'll get paid for it.
    Around here near every farmer Lambed ewes in the years gone by.
    Now?**** all farm sheep.

The same needs to happen in beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

kk.man wrote: »
    V true. Talking to the the local butcher losing 10 - 15e per lamb but has to stock it.

Make no mistake this is supermarket power they demand a price drop from the factories during the 'offers' and if they don't get it, it's goodbye contract.

As has already been pointed out, two to three chops per lamb and he has that €15 back. I've never seen a poor butcher in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭green daries

whelan2 wrote: »
    Was talking to a farmers wife a few years ago. He would be a bit bossy to her. All meat to come from butchers he told her. She was given an allowance for groceries each week. She said if she bought all the meat in the butchers there would be no money left. So she would get the meat in lidl and tell him it was from the butchers. He used to say it was lovely meat...

Ya firstly that's a terrible situation ............
    Secondly the meat is probably fine and the skill of cooking of meat is probably 95% of the flavour but the point is the supermarkets especially Lidl Aldi are driving down farmers margins to an unsustainable level

• Advertisement

That makes no sense, contradicting your own argument.

You want people to buy more good food by making it... more expensive.

You want people to buy less bad food by making it... more expensive?

What do you do for a living as a matter of interest

I got 2 organic lambs about 6 months ago for 140 each butchered. 26kg of meat each.

That and the Angus in my freezer, I've not had to buy any meat in a long time.

The father always used to rear his own beef and lamb imo its just miles better

Ahhh funny

It's sold via a discount by the supermarkets and yes they recoup that money along the lines as sure as night follows day

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭farmerval

Kat1170 wrote: »
    As has already been pointed out, two to three chops per lamb and he has that €15 back. I've never seen a poor butcher in my life.

Don't know where you live, but where I do there's hardly any butchers shops left.
    In Clonmel I can only think of 3 butchers shops left. Used be three times that, at least, and there's no sign of the trend changing.

Kat1170 wrote: »

Never saw a supermarket close or go broke but I have seen a lot of independent butchers go out of business

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭einn32

I'm based in Australia and I just looked up the Aldi catalogue (Lidl aren't in Oz I think). A marinated lamb shoulder is going for $17.99 per kilo. Funnily enough a kilo of mini chicken Kievs can be purchased for $14.99 per kilo. The sale yard price of lamb is forecast to average 751 cent a kilo.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Base price wrote: »
    Aldi price-matching
    hsW8HZY.png

Kilkenny City Centre had 4 butcher shops in recent years. Its got one now. Two of the three that shut up had really good exposure in terms of location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

kk.man wrote: »
    Kilkenny City Centre had 4 butcher shops in recent years. Its got one now. Two of the three that shut up had really good exposure in terms of location.

Is Kennas gone now too? Or are you counting O Briens in the four? Havent been up friary street in a long long time, youve the fella at the top of Johns Street still going too.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Odelay

whelan2 wrote: »
    Was talking to a farmers wife a few years ago. He would be a bit bossy to her. All meat to come from butchers he told her. She was given an allowance for groceries each week. She said if she bought all the meat in the butchers there would be no money left. So she would get the meat in lidl and tell him it was from the butchers. He used to say it was lovely meat...

Please don’t get me wrong on this, but could the allowance not be the same as a budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Odelay wrote: »
    Please don’t get me wrong on this, but could the allowance not be the same as a budget?

Could be that she allowed a certain amount for groceries which is a budget.

An allowance sounds like she was given a certain amount of money to get the groceries

• Registered Users Posts: 29,143 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Her husband is old fashioned. Dinner to be on the table etc at set times etc. A bit of an unfair partnership. Would know them well enough. Just back from the butchers myself. Rang earlier to order my stuff. It wasn't ready. They are out the door busy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The father always used to rear his own beef and lamb imo its just miles better

One of the family here had orders to get a 'good bit of beef in the local town' for tomorrow. Beef with fat and marbling. Went into some of the butchers. Reply was it's getting nigh on impossible to get that sort of beef.
    Not sure what they're doing now. Probably going to Aldi..to look for angus beef.

We've a farming system where tough oul continental shoe leather is rewarded in the factories because the Europeans set up the grid. And the majority of the cattle kill, the British and dairy breeds that actually have the fat and flavour are not paid accordingly to the farmer.

The father read somewhere that someone went into the butchers for lamb and was quoted €35. Don't know what it was or where. Must have been in the indo paper.

One of the family here had orders to get a 'good bit of beef in the local town' for tomorrow. Beef with fat and marbling. Went into some of the butchers. Reply was it's getting nigh on impossible to get that sort of beef.
    Not sure what they're doing now. Probably going to Aldi..to look for angus beef.

We've a farming system where tough oul continental shoe leather is rewarded in the factories because the Europeans set up the grid. And the majority of the cattle kill, the British and dairy breeds that actually have the fat and flavour are not paid accordingly to the farmer.

The father read somewhere that someone went into the butchers for lamb and was quoted €35. Don't know what it was or where. Must have been in the indo paper.

Tell ya British Friesian is as nice as any.

Is Kennas gone now too? Or are you counting O Briens in the four? Havent been up friary street in a long long time, youve the fella at the top of Johns Street still going too.

Kennas only one left!

Whites, Dores and Mullins of Friary Street gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭tjhook

I'm not a farmer, I have little exposure to the wider issues mentioned here, but specifically on this lamb topic...

Is it possible that stores doing a "special" could be a good thing if it's at their own expense? My family has tried a number of things over the years that would have been "left-field" for us in terms of home cooking, but were on special (e.g. duck), only to develop a taste for them and continue to buy them after the specials have ended.

About lamb in particular... We wouldn't have done a leg of lamb before - I'm not sure why really, I find lamb tasty but it's just not our habit. We'd often put a chicken or beef in the oven, I'm not sure lamb would be any more difficult. If I'd spotted this special over the past week I'd have been very tempted to try it, and if it was a success with the kids we'd be very likely to buy it again. They'd make sure of that! And we may not be unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

tjhook wrote: »
    I'm not a farmer, I have little exposure to the wider issues mentioned here, but specifically on this lamb topic...

About lamb in particular... We wouldn't have done a leg of lamb before - I'm not sure why really, I find lamb tasty but it's just not our habit. We'd often put a chicken or beef in the oven, I'm not sure lamb would be any more difficult. If I'd spotted this special over the past week I'd have been very tempted to try it, and if it was a success with the kids we'd be very likely to buy it again. They'd make sure of that! And we may not be unique.

Maybe since lockdown people are tired of eating the same thing, often chicken. Maybe it opens the door for trying something abit different like lamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Went to my local butcher for a leg of lamb today - sold out. Had to get roast beef instead. Think it read 2.2 kg on scale but it was €24

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Who in their right mind would choose lamb over beef?

Advertisement