Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl leg of lamb.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Who in their right mind would choose beef over lamb?

FYP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Who in their right mind would choose lamb over beef?

Lamb is lovely slow cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Not a fan of lamb, had too much of it growing up I think...
    Neighbour at home can’t touch beef - like that, they always got a heifer killed every year and he just had too much of it, doesn’t eat beef at all now...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭kk.man

tjhook wrote: »
    I'm not a farmer, I have little exposure to the wider issues mentioned here, but specifically on this lamb topic...

Is it possible that stores doing a "special" could be a good thing if it's at their own expense? My family has tried a number of things over the years that would have been "left-field" for us in terms of home cooking, but were on special (e.g. duck), only to develop a taste for them and continue to buy them after the specials have ended.

About lamb in particular... We wouldn't have done a leg of lamb before - I'm not sure why really, I find lamb tasty but it's just not our habit. We'd often put a chicken or beef in the oven, I'm not sure lamb would be any more difficult. If I'd spotted this special over the past week I'd have been very tempted to try it, and if it was a success with the kids we'd be very likely to buy it again. They'd make sure of that! And we may not be unique.

Not quite like as you say. Lamb is scarse this year and has hit record highs. Factories tried to keep the lid on the price but butchers and wholesalers drove it on. Up comes Mr Supermarket and says I am not paying you those high prices. They insist on an offer, factories (take the hit for now and they wait in the long grass). Mr supermarket has his deals all over Easter for 'reduced' lamb which sickens the butcher and wholesaler (whom have no bargain power) and Mrs housewife gets a good deal. Then the glut of sheep appear and hey presto Mr factory and Mr supermarket are rolling in it together. Status quo resumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Base price

If I was dining out I would always choose beef (preferably ribeye) over lamb but if venison was on the menu then I'd choose it. I love lamb but I reckon it's way overpriced in restaurants.
    I was talking to a butcher today and he said that lambs were making €7.10+ live weight in marts and he couldn't compete with supermarkets at that price.
    It's great for sheep farmers and I presume the good prices are due to the fact that NI/UK lambs are no longer coming across the border for slaughter/processing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Lamb shanks very slowly cooked are something else, food of the gods

• Registered Users Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Lamb shanks very slowly cooked are something else, food of the gods

Ya and the shank ens legs from LIDL/ALDI are really only glorified shanks. They are only 1.1 kgs or 2.5 lbs. Friend buy them and boils them after he paid 23 euro for 4 gigot chops in a butchers. Must try one some time. Do it on a slow cooker with veg and great thing about you need no stock cube

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Ya and the shank ens legs from LIDL/ALDI are really only glorified shanks. They are only 1.1 kgs or 2.5 lbs. Friend buy them and boils them after he paid 23 euro for 4 gigot chops in a butchers. Must try one some time. Do it on a slow cooker with veg and great thing about you need no stock cube
    Yummy with creamed mashed potatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭green daries

kk.man wrote: »
    Tell ya British Friesian is as nice as any.

Ya have to agree with you and say there locally lads would say a cow heifer is the best beef for the freezer would be mostly dairy or dairy beef animal used I think the fat type and cover makes it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭green daries

tjhook wrote: »
    I'm not a farmer, I have little exposure to the wider issues mentioned here, but specifically on this lamb topic...

Is it possible that stores doing a "special" could be a good thing if it's at their own expense? My family has tried a number of things over the years that would have been "left-field" for us in terms of home cooking, but were on special (e.g. duck), only to develop a taste for them and continue to buy them after the specials have ended.

About lamb in particular... We wouldn't have done a leg of lamb before - I'm not sure why really, I find lamb tasty but it's just not our habit. We'd often put a chicken or beef in the oven, I'm not sure lamb would be any more difficult. If I'd spotted this special over the past week I'd have been very tempted to try it, and if it was a success with the kids we'd be very likely to buy it again. They'd make sure of that! And we may not be unique.

Yes definitely you do have a valid point and it's great to hear. People vairing purchases from chicken etc. I suppose the main concern is that the supermarkets rarely shoulder the burden on any special offers that they run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Had a quick look in Aldi during the week and whilst the lamb are certainly reasonably priced it was very poorly presented compared to a butcher or the lambs we kill for the freezer for ourselves or for orders.

Some miserable small underfleshed joints as well no doubt farmers talking advantage of the record prices on offer and dumping poorly fleshed underweight lambs for sale.

These joints when you take the meat to bone ratio into consideration may not be as good value as they seem

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

orm0nd wrote: »
    Had a quick look in Aldi during the week and whilst the lamb are certainly reasonably priced it was very poorly presented compared to a butcher or the lambs we kill for the freezer for ourselves or for orders.

Some miserable small underfleshed joints as well no doubt farmers talking advantage of the record prices on offer and dumping poorly fleshed underweight lambs for sale.

These joints when you take the meat to bone ratio into consideration may not be as good value as they seem

I wouldn't think that's the case...when I sell lambs they have to be a certain weight and fleshed

When you go to the marts you'll see the buyers checking lambs for flesh all the time they're constantly checking.
    Anything not up to standard makes a lot less than the going price.

I'd buy a leg of lamb in tesco , lidl or centra about once a month. There can be a lot of bone in some of them. Very hard to judge when buying it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭Robson99

richie123 wrote: »
    I wouldn't think that's the case...when I sell lambs they have to be a certain weight and fleshed

When you go to the marts you'll see the buyers checking lambs for flesh all the time they're constantly checking.
    Look at the stock in the lairage waiting to be killed. Every sort from great quality to ****e and you can see the ****e at times in some of supermarkets. High bone to meat ratio sold at discount prices

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Spring lambs have been coming through the factory with kill out weights from 8 to 13 Kg. Huge difference to look at. Hoggets, for comparison, would be around 22 Kg.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Robson99 wrote: »
    Look at the stock in the lairage waiting to be killed. Every sort from great quality to ****e and you can see the ****e at times in some of supermarkets. High bone to meat ratio sold at discount prices

Sure more than likely the ****e is going to the discounted stores...ya get what u pay for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

893bet wrote: »
    3000 lambs a day at 60 kilo each? 180,000 kilos of lamb per day? Sounds a lot!

This time of the year Kildare wouldn’t be killing that number of lambs or hoggets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

richie123 wrote: »

Listen I'm in the sheep game well over 50 years and I know what I'm talking about.

Had 2 agents ring me looking for sheep for tomorrow.

If I sent in the cat I would have got a flat price for her with no cuts.

When you dealing with factories as long as I'm and know the game as well come back and comment, until then ..... mod snip

I saw legs of lambs that came from underfinised underfleshed stock that should not have presented for sale at any money.

Listen I'm in the sheep game well over 50 years and I know what I'm talking about.

Had 2 agents ring me looking for sheep for tomorrow.

If I sent in the cat I would have got a flat price for her with no cuts.

When you dealing with factories as long as I'm and know the game as well come back and comment, until then ..... mod snip

I saw legs of lambs that came from underfinised underfleshed stock that should not have presented for sale at any money.

Ormond you need to relax.
    No where in my comment did I put you down.
    I made a general point.
    Were all wrong at times and I'll be the first to admit it.
    if you thought I was cutting at you your wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,394 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Iceland in North selling NZ frozen leg of lamb for €6.52/kg

• Advertisement

Got this the other day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Using it as a loss leader, sheep making close to €4 / kg live weight in the marts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I thought that practice wasn’t allowed anymore?

2024 Lidl selling Irish whole leg of lamb €7.99/kg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Anything is possible, You would hope it's Irish lamb, they got caught out before, one Christmas declaring it was Irish smoked salmon for sale, had to hold their hands up when Irish producers held their pricing to account that it wasn't Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

• Registered Users Posts: 14,264 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's Bord Bia Origin Ireland so you can be certain it's Irish.

That smoked salmon thing was the difference between smoked Irish salmon and Irish smoked salmon.

Sounds silly doesn't it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Silverdream

idk about the lamb in lidl, anytime we bought them offers it was more like old mutton rather than lamb. Chicken is gone to sh1te in them places too, we got diced chicken the other day, as soon as it hit the frying pan it turned into a pool of water, pure gunk that can't be healthy

Aldi is even cheaper €6.35/kg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Aldi €6.35 full leg Spring lamb (which Spring?),

but, but their New Season half a leg lamb €14.99/kg.

Advertisement