Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl leg of lamb.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭The prowler

Dont ever worry about the factory and their margins, look at the rich lists every year, plenty of people involved in meat processing in the top 30.
    Dont forget for lamb the factory are paying carcass weight, the 5 quarter is free for them and almost nothing is wasted (which is good to see).
    The top 5 sheep processing plants would be killing anything between 2400 and 3000 each everyday so an automated factory line in these big plants is probably doing 320 or so an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Went to the local butcher there yesterday eve 4 giggot chops and 1 1/2 lbs beef stir fry 29euro I nearly choaked

• Registered Users Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

lab man wrote: »
    Went to the local butcher there yesterday eve 4 giggot chops and 1 1/2 lbs beef stir fry 29euro I nearly choaked

The four gigot chops were 24 euro the stir fry a fiver

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Shag all being made on the Easter eggs, they were offered to us ( a Spar shop) to sell at €3 making 40c each or 3 for €5 and make 5c (1%) . Aldi or Lidl now selling them 3 for €3 so can’t see how they are making anything on them.

They used to be a nice earner years ago but their year I didn’t bother buying in any this year, first time in nearly 30 years.

The Aldi’s and Lidl’s are happy to sell below cost, they don’t care if they mess up the local small shop or the local farmers, we’re all just collateral damage in their war for market share.

29 all in some price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭alps

He'll drive you into Aldi/Lidl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Shelflife wrote: »
    Shag all being made on the Easter eggs, they were offered to us ( a Spar shop) to sell at €3 making 40c each or 3 for €5 and make 5c (1%) . Aldi or Lidl now selling them 3 for €3 so can’t see how they are making anything on them.

They used to be a nice earner years ago but their year I didn’t bother buying in any this year, first time in nearly 30 years.

The Aldi’s and Lidl’s are happy to sell below cost, they don’t care if they mess up the local small shop or the local farmers, we’re all just collateral damage in their war for market share.

Jezz c how are the small shops making a bob with margins like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I asked a butcher today when buying some ribeye for dinner how much per kg for a leg of lamb. He said up to this week it was €12.99 but Spring lamb is €15.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

This is what kills me about lidl/aldi, how do they run big ads supporting local farmers/food businesses on one page of the leaflet, then turn the page and they're selling carrots for 50c.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

timple23 wrote: »
    This is what kills me about lidl/aldi, how do they run big ads supporting local farmers/food businesses on one page of the leaflet, then turn the page and they're selling carrots for 50c.

Absolute joke and it shouldn't be allowed
    Stuff like chocolate sweets chips processed rubbish food should be taxed higher
    And below cost selling of good nutritious meat and veg should be banned.
    The amount of waste of good food simply because its too cheap.

• Advertisement

timple23 wrote: »

Alot of friends I have in Germany will not under any circumstances shop in lidl , aldi ,treff,or any other because they have nearly broke the farmers there years ago .
    there are a lot of farmers markets in germany now

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was talking to a farmers wife a few years ago. He would be a bit bossy to her. All meat to come from butchers he told her. She was given an allowance for groceries each week. She said if she bought all the meat in the butchers there would be no money left. So she would get the meat in lidl and tell him it was from the butchers. He used to say it was lovely meat...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,899 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

richie123 wrote: »
    Absolute joke and it shouldn't be allowed
    Stuff like chocolate sweets chips processed rubbish food should be taxed higher
    And below cost selling of good nutritious meat and veg should be banned.
    The amount of waste of good food simply because its too cheap.

As if anyone is going to waste a leg of lamb cos they got it on a LIDL discount.
    The most frequently wasted products are things like salad & bread with short shelf life.
    Nothing to do with below cost selling, everything to do with portion sizes.

You seem completely unfamiliar with our current VAT rates if you are posting this.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Instead of easter eggs I posted a package to my nephews and nieces. Got them a kids magazine each, a bottle of bubbles and a kinder egg. My sister in law sent me a video of them opening their post. Great excitement. She said much better entertainment than an easter egg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

whelan2 wrote: »
    Instead of easter eggs I posted a package to my nephews and nieces. Got them a kids magazine each, a bottle of bubbles and a kinder egg. My sister in law sent me a video of them opening their post. Great excitement. She said much better entertainment than an easter egg.

We just got the exact same package from family earlier today...
    Like you said - was super excitement... :)

We just got the exact same package from family earlier today...
    Like you said - was super excitement... :)

An post have a great deal atm. You get the padded envelope and delivery for just over 5 euro

odyssey06 wrote: »
    As if anyone is going to waste a leg of lamb cos they got it on a LIDL discount.
    The most frequently wasted products are things like salad & bread with short shelf life.
    Nothing to do with below cost selling, everything to do with portion sizes.

You seem completely unfamiliar with our current VAT rates if you are posting this.

Enlighten me.

Enlighten me.

VAT rates...
    Fresh meat is zero rated 0%
    Savoury snack products such as crisps at 23%
    Chocolates, sweets at 23%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

whelan2 wrote: »
    Was talking to a farmers wife a few years ago. He would be a bit bossy to her. All meat to come from butchers he told her. She was given an allowance for groceries each week. She said if she bought all the meat in the butchers there would be no money left. So she would get the meat in lidl and tell him it was from the butchers. He used to say it was lovely meat...

Nothing wrong with Lidl or Aldi meat.

The husband was lucky she didn't just buy him liver in the butchers with that attitude giving her "an allowance" for groceries. She should have full access to all the money.

Nothing wrong with Lidl or Aldi meat.

The husband was lucky she didn't just buy him liver in the butchers with that attitude giving her "an allowance" for groceries. She should have full access to all the money.

My sister is 50 gone and gets an allowance for everything fair backward

• Advertisement

VAT rates...
    Fresh meat is zero rated 0%
    Savoury snack products such as crisps at 23%
    Chocolates, sweets at 23%

My main point still stands ..Good food fruit veg ect is too cheap.
    Snacks sweets coke etc not dear enough.

My main point still stands ..Good food fruit veg ect is too cheap.
    Snacks sweets coke etc not dear enough.

That makes no sense, contradicting your own argument.

You want people to buy more good food by making it... more expensive.

You want people to buy less bad food by making it... more expensive?

Jaysus, I didn't think that sorta attitude was still going on. Would you as her brother not enlighten her husband maybe with the aid of a baseball bat across the kneecaps :rolleyes:

Base price wrote: »
    Jaysus, I didn't think that sorta attitude was still going on. Would you as her brother not enlighten her husband maybe with the aid of a baseball bat across the kneecaps :rolleyes:

Nah couldn't be bothered tbh you cant talk to a block on the flat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Nah couldn't be bothered tbh you cant talk to a block on the flat

Aye true i dont know what way id react if it was the same situation for my sisters. There fairly well educated so i doubt it will ever be a problem however if they did happen to marry a pig like that i would imagine the ball would be in their court really, leave him and take half his farm with them. Not that im all for splitting farms and the likes in anyway.

Better living everyone

That makes no sense, contradicting your own argument.

You want people to buy more good food by making it... more expensive.

You want people to buy less bad food by making it... more expensive?

Yes so people producing good food stay in business.
    And yes again to bad food more expensive
    Thats self explanatory purely for health reasons obesity
    Diabetes etc.
    the more expensive it is the less gets bought

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I got 2 organic lambs about 6 months ago for 140 each butchered. 26kg of meat each.

That and the Angus in my freezer, I've not had to buy any meat in a long time.

Aye true i dont know what way id react if it was the same situation for my sisters. There fairly well educated so i doubt it will ever be a problem however if they did happen to marry a pig like that i would imagine the ball would be in their court really, leave him and take half his farm with them. Not that im all for splitting farms and the likes in anyway.
    It's not that simple and depends on many other factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

I don't understand why farmers complain about cheap food in supermarkets.

Firstly I think farmers should be paid way more for their produce. A price that would mean farmers would not have to push the land so hard and not use so much fertiliser and whatever else. Less intensive farming would be better for farmers, customers and the land.

But then once the farmer sells and gets a fair price what difference is it to the farmer what price the supermarkets sell for? If they want to give it away for free sure so what?

Supermarkets have loss leaders on Easter eggs as Shelflife has pointed out in an above post.
    At Christmas they sell the tubs of sweets very cheap.

They have beer and spirits at or below cost nearly always on special offer.

I never hear the chocolate or drinks manufacturers complaining about below cost selling.

• Advertisement

This woman would be a bit younger than that. I was surprised she was telling me tbh. Anyway each to their own

Advertisement