Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl leg of lamb.

Options
  • 29-03-2021 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Just saw an add in the paper for a leg of lamb.
    6.75 a kilo.
    Now with lamb prices well north of 7 euro and then include factories margin that is one hell of a loss leader.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭memorystick

New Zealand I’d say. Frozen I assume

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

My bets are there will be none in stock when you go to get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

New Zealand I’d say. Frozen I assume

It's fresh, from Ireland. Pretty sure it's Inisvale.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Akesh wrote: »
    It's fresh, from Ireland. Pretty sure it's Inisvale.
    It is Inisvale but it's €6.47/kg
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/product-recommendation/irish-whole-lamb-leg/p2182

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Have to say I find the Lidl meat very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Dunedin wrote: »

Yes especially the rib eye steaks..

Just highlighting the loss the supermarket is willing to take to draw people in to its higher margin products.

Last week hoggets were 7 30 ...factory margin is surly 50 cent at least ??
    Add in a margin for wholesalers too
    Its a big loss for supermarket.
    Really makes little of an excellent product

Dunedin wrote: »

Lidl striploin steaks are very good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭kk.man

richie123 wrote: »
    Yes especially the rib eye steaks..

Just highlighting the loss the supermarket is willing to take to draw people in to its higher margin products.

Last week hoggets were 7 30 ...factory margin is surly 50 cent at least ??
    Add in a margin for wholesalers too
    Its a big loss for supermarket.
    Really makes little of an excellent product

Factories don't make much on lambing. I was told the net margin onse and it was very poor.

The supermarkets will take a hit on lamb now but they will make up for it when product becomes more plentiful.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

The profit on Easter eggs probably makes up for the loss on the lamb.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

kk.man wrote: »
    Factories don't make much on lambing. I was told the net margin onse and it was very poor.

The supermarkets will take a hit on lamb now but they will make up for it when product becomes more plentiful.

What is the margin ?
    If you take Kildale chilling they might kill about 3000 lambs these days or less.
    But if it was a euro a kilo that's 3 grand i mean would it be worth even opening the factory at that rate ?
    The costs of running those factories would be outrageous id say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

blue5000 wrote: »
    The profit on Easter eggs probably makes up for the loss on the lamb.

At 5 for a 5er it is hard to see money in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

What is the margin ?
    If you take Kildale chilling they might kill about 3000 lambs these days or less.
    But if it was a euro a kilo that's 3 grand i mean would it be worth even opening the factory at that rate ?

3000 lambs a day at 60 kilo each? 180,000 kilos of lamb per day? Sounds a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

whelan2 wrote: »
    My bets are there will be none in stock when you go to get them.

That's a below cost special on the legs. What price does the rest of the lamb sell at. Ie chops etc ? Might make a loss 1 week a year but not the other 51 weeks .

893bet wrote: »
    3000 lambs a day at 60 kilo each? 180,000 kilos of lamb per day? Sounds a lot!

Sorry blonde hair moment,lol.. a euro a lamb I meant to say ..I'm just surmizing here I havnt a clue of the costs involved.or margin.

Kids dont appreciate easter eggs anymore. When we were young we got 1 Easter egg each. That was it. You looked forward to it for the whole of lent. You ate every bit of it. Easter eggs end up being made into cakes etc

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭downtown3858

What is the margin ?

A euro a kg isn’t 3000 if they kill 3000. A euro a kg at 20 kg deadweight is 20 euro x 3000 is 60000 in the week if it’s euro kg. There isn’t to many factories losing money ! Don’t believe everything they say. They showed millions in profit when it was printed last year

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭downtown3858

A euro a kg isn’t 3000 if they kill 3000. A euro a kg at 20 kg deadweight is 20 euro x 3000 is 60000 in the week if it’s euro kg. There isn’t to many factories losing money ! Don’t believe everything they say. They showed millions in profit when it was printed last year

Ops see it sorted above

Well the local butcher charges around 40 per lamb
    So allowing for economies of scale factory could do it for half or less im guessing.
    So if 1000 killed ina day that's 20 grand.
    All depends on costs then after that which is the million dollar question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭kk.man

What is the margin ?

I think it's somewhere around 2e to 2.50e. Therefore at the above kill it be 6,000e that's after all costs etc. That might seem good but buy a site, build the plant, put all those costly machinery in place and market the lamb. It's a bit like farming asset rich cash poor. Those lamb plants only compliment the beef interprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

With regard to easter eggs
    Considering that since Cadbury was taken over by the Yanks theres now f-all chocolate in the chocolate. It now tastes like very sweet gunk. So 5 for 5 euro is a bit pricey
    You'd be better off giving your money towards one of the. small independent chocolate makers like O’Briens or Wilde Irish Chocolates. Nicer chocolate, plus you'd be supporting Irish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

The quality of the chocolate in those is kak . Prolly cost them 50c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

With regard to easter eggs
    Considering that since Cadbury was taken over by the Yanks theres now f-all chocolate in the chocolate. It now tastes like very sweet gunk. So 5 for 5 euro is a bit pricey
    You'd be better off giving your money towards one of the. small independent chocolate makers like O’Briens or Wilde Irish Chocolates. Nicer chocolate, plus you'd be supporting Irish

Agree fully. But if any Easter egg manufacturer managed to do something about reducing the horrendous excess packaging they would get my business before all others

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Agree fully. But if any Easter egg manufacturer managed to do something about reducing the horrendous excess packaging they would get my business before all others

Pity those companies aren't scrutinized as much as farmers are in regards to their environmental responsibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

I'd advise not to be worrying about the factories margin!
    They’re at it long enough now to know how to make a profit over the course of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Worries on the Farming forum about the meat factories making a profit, never thought I'd see the day :D

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Worries on the Farming forum about the meat factories making a profit, never thought I'd see the day :D

Its just general discussion lol...id actually love to know what they make.how profitable it is you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Is it €40 to deep freeze a lamb now? any receipts I see is €25/30

when I worked with a butcher it was £5 then €7 to get the lamb killed and the same price again to deep freeze it. No problem I could do 4 lambs an hour, for deep freeze including cutting , trimming, bagging and label .

at the same time if a 55kg butcher lamb made €100/110 in the back end of the summer the same lamb would go out over the counter at €220/235

Well the local butcher charges around 40 per lamb
    So allowing for economies of scale factory could do it for half or less im guessing.
    So if 1000 killed ina day that's 20 grand.
    All depends on costs then after that which is the million dollar question.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I have never been in a lamb slaughtering plant. I have been in the beef one's. However sheep would be very fast to butcher and skin out compared to a bullock. You would not need the plant to be anywhere as complex.

Do you have a couple of assembly lines on the go or are lambs going along the line in batches. Like beef plants the majority working would be in the minimum wage. That a wage of 85/ day add employer PRSI and holidays lads working are costing 13-14/ hour at most 105-120/ day. On an automated line would you be slaughtering 20/ hour/ labour unit.

Slava Ukrainii

I have never been in a lamb slaughtering plant. I have been in the beef one's. However sheep would be very fast to butcher and skin out compared to a bullock. You would not need the plant to be anywhere as complex.

Do you have a couple of assembly lines on the go or are lambs going along the line in batches. Like beef plants the majority working would be in the minimum wage. That a wage of 85/ day add employer PRSI and holidays lads working are costing 13-14/ hour at most 105-120/ day. On an automated line would you be slaughtering 20/ hour/ labour unit.

I see.. I've actually never seen sheep being killed would you believe.
    Ya some one else said same thing, lambs a lot quicker to butcher.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I have never been in a lamb slaughtering plant.

On an automated line would you be slaughtering 20/ hour/ labour unit.

No. Closer to 10.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Advertisement