Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private school teachers prioritised for vaccinations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

It's almost as if there is a concerted attempt to justify this. Weird opinion to hold. Everyone knows it was wrong. No justifying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

First Up wrote: »
    Yes, I'm still pointing out the obvious.

But it's not obvious. No one is saying they should have been wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

It's almost as if there is a conceded attempt to justify this. Weird opinion to hold. Everyone knows it was wrong. No justifying it.

I'm not trying to justify it but I dispute it being described as corruption or the emotive stuff about cancer patients being by-passed.

The Beacon made an expedient decision after being let down twice by the HSE.

The investigation will show if it was anything more than poor judgement under pressure.

I'm not trying to justify it but I dispute it being described as corruption or the emotive stuff about cancer patients being by-passed.

The investigation will show if it was anything more than poor judgement under pressure.

In fairness the investigation will show whatever they want to be shown.

In fairness the investigation will show whatever they want to be shown.

Ah, another open mind on Boards.

• Advertisement

Ah, another open mind on Boards.

How open is your mind? most people know full well that paid for, internal investigation by a corporate lawyer is nothing more than window dressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

But why pick that school....what was/is so special about that school.

If you want to go the school route why not pick a school on your doorstep.

Contact details are easy to find, any secretary /personal assistant worth their salt would have them within minutes....you can walk to some of the local schools within minutes.

So again leaving the emotive stuff about cancer patients being bypassed aside, I ask the question what was/is so special about this school that it was chosen?

I will follow up with the question what was/is so special about the 20 teachers chosen and why the secrecy around it?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

So cancer patients attending and living near the Beacon were lying about being passed over?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

The Beacon knew nothing about double bookings. It seems the HSE only realised it after the Beacon reported the no shows.

Anyone dispensing vaccines will do so as quickly as possible, which means having them ready. Some no shows may be inevitable but 200 is outside the statistical range.

City West had approx 500 no shows out of 1300 scheduled vaccinations but didn't have to find teachers in their CEO's children's school to give 'excess' doses to.

HSE chief executive Paul Reid has denied that any doses were wasted: "You don't go opening all these vials, and then have a scurry around at the end of the day to use the vials, you organised the vials, and the administration of the vials as your day is progressing so you don't go piercing vials for 572 people, you do it as a is progressing so it wouldn't be all that waste. "

Having them ready is as simple as removing a vial from the fridge and wiping the top of the vial with an alcohol swab.

The vial needs to be used within six hours of the seal being broken when it is pierced by needle drawing the first dose from the vial.

The no show rate should have been discernable during the course of the day. Unless you want to have 'excess' doses at the end of the day, there is no reason why vials should be lying around for approaching six hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭Enzokk

So let me get this right, you are okay with the CEO of Beacon bypassing the guidelines he was supposed to follow, miss out local teachers that would have been just as worthy to receive the vaccines and are probably closer to the hospital to receive their dose and decide to offer the vaccines to the private school where his children go to, all because the HSE made double bookings?

Because had he given the vaccines to local teachers where he had no involvement it would have still been a breach of guidelines, but at least it would have been understood. What doesn't seem to compute is not that he found teachers for these vaccines, its that he found teachers at the fee paying school where his children go to. That is the problem here, not that the HSE screwed up but the decision he took on who would be worthy of these vaccines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The Beacon knew nothing about double bookings. It seems the HSE only realised it after the Beacon reported the no shows.

Anyone dispensing vaccines will do so as quickly as possible, which means having them ready. Some no shows may be inevitable but 200 is outside the statistical range.
    Yes, I'm still pointing out the obvious.

Ehhh for someone "pointing out the obvious" you dont appear to have realised that in order to actually dispense them as quickly as possible would mean that it would go to the people nearest the location who had yet to recieve one.

But why pick that school....what was/is so special about that school.

If you want to go the school route why not pick a school on your doorstep.

A fair question. Expedience may have been part of it - knowing who to call etc - but it obviously suited the CEO too.

It was a short cut to a solution when time was short. Enough for the permanently outraged but let's see what else McCague turns up.

A fair question. Expedience may have been part of it - knowing who to call etc - but it obviously suited the CEO too.

It was a short cut to a solution when time was short. Enough for the permanently outraged but let's see what else McCague turns up.

He'll turn up what he is told to turn up. That's the point of paying for an investigation. Slight conflict of interest.

pjohnson wrote:
    Ehhh for someone "pointing out the obvious" you dont appear to have realised that in order to actually dispense them as quickly as possible would mean that it would go to the people nearest the location who had yet to recieve one.

Closest doesn't necessarily mean quickest. St Gerard's to the Beacon is about 10 minutes. How much faster than that could other schools have been contacted and organised for vaccination?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I doubt you actually believe what you post.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Closest doesn't necessarily mean quickest. St Gerard's to the Beacon is about 10 minutes. How much faster than that could other schools have been contacted and organised for vaccination?

Well I think most practically minded people would think staff in the school I can see from my office window, will arrive quicker than staff from a school a motorway drive away.

So why did he pick this particular school.... applying the "reasonableness test" what would a completely impartial person* do....pick the school they can physically see or pick one miles away?

*Leaving aside a completely impartial person would just follow the given guidelines.

I doubt you actually believe what you post.

I'm happy to see you are capable of doubt. Your usual style is dogged certainty.

Well I think most practically minded people would think staff in the school I can see from my office window, will arrive quicker than staff from a school a motorway drive away.

There's apartments even closer. Why not them if distance was the only consideration?

The had less than two hours until the vaccines expired to decide what to do with them. We have been dissecting their decision for a week. Most posters here have made up their minds. I'll wait until the whole picture is clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There should have been no pressure involved. This scenario was entirely predictable, and if you're going to take on responsibility for vaccination, that includes responsibility for dealing with a small number of left overs. This should have been part of the plan, and not a pressure situation.

The school that is three minutes walk away could clearly have been done faster, but weren't chosen for obvious reasons.

There should have been no pressure involved. This scenario was entirely predictable, and if you're going to take on responsibility for vaccination, that includes responsibility for dealing with a small number of left overs. This should have been part of the plan, and not a pressure situation.

200 no shows; then the HSE give back 5 vaccines, then give back 15 more. One hour 45 minutes before they expire.

A pity they didn't call you for advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

200 no shows; then the HSE give back 5 vaccines, then give back 15 more. One hour 45 minutes before they expire.

In fairness we appear to have a number of world class health care administrators posting here , the future for the hse is bright !

There's apartments even closer. Why not them if distance was the only consideration?

The had less than two hours until the vaccines expired to decide what to do with them. We have been dissecting their decision for a week. Most posters here have made up their minds. I'll wait until the whole picture is clear.

Exactly why didn't he pick them , or one of the local businesses , or the local dunnes.

Why pick the school?, what was the advantage of picking a school miles away.

Why break procedure and not follow guidelines?

Why if you know there's an admin problem do you continue opening all the vials .....

Why in his mind , was contacting that school the best course of action? What was the benefit of them getting vaccinated above everyone else?

I suspect all of those questions - and quite a few others - will have occurred to McCague.

The HSE didn't give back anything, as you well know. That's the second time that I've caught you trying to spin yarns about the HSE role.

The Beacon were responsible for deciding how many vials were open.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Where are you getting an hour and 45minutes from? Its six hours at room temperature after the vial is opened, 10 doses to a vial, unopened vials can be stored in a standard fridge, seems to be some effort to conflate Pfizer and AZ here

The HSE didn't give back anything, as you well know. That's the second time that I've caught you trying to spin yarns about the HSE role.

The Beacon were responsible for deciding how many vials were open.

I previously summarised what I have learned from media reports - The Beacon was told to prepare to deliver 1,269 vaccines but 200 didn't turn up for their appointments. The HSE admitted they had double booked and undertook to find other users but left the Beacon holding 20, with time running out.

If you have a different version of events, please share it here or better still, give it to Eugene McCague

I previously summarised what I have learned from media reports - The Beacon was told to prepare to deliver 1,269 vaccines but 200 didn't turn up for their appointments. The HSE admitted they had double booked and undertook to find other users but left the Beacon holding 20, with time running out.

If you have a different version of events, please share it here or better still, give it to Eugene McCague

Which confirms that;

1) the HSE didn't give back anything, as you well know. [That's the second time that I've caught you trying to spin yarns about the HSE role]

2) The Beacon were responsible for deciding how many vials were open.

Where are you getting an hour and 45minutes from? Its six hours at room temperature after the vial is opened, 10 doses to a vial, unopened vials can be stored in a standard fridge, seems to be some effort to conflate Pfizer and AZ here

I bow to your superior expertise and knowledge of vaccines. According to the Beacon's statement that I read, there was one hour and 45 minutes left when they contacted St Gerard's. I don't know how things got to that point.

Again, I expect all of this will be clear from the investigation.

1) the HSE didn't give back anything, as you well know. [That's the second time that I've caught you trying to spin yarns about the HSE role]
    OK, I'll explain it more slowly for you.

The Beacon dispensed the vaccines; the HSE arranged for the people to turn up at the Beacon to get them. 200 of those people didn't turn up as expected so the vaccines were unused.
    2) The Beacon were responsible for deciding how many vials were open.
    I presume the number of vials opened corresponded to the number of people the HSE had told the Beacon to expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

You seem to know a lot of specifics. Personally invested in the case?

Advertisement