Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private school teachers prioritised for vaccinations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Get Real wrote: »
    Someone from either needs to come and say "these were stolen" and be willing to be present in court to say the same for a prosecution to stick. The wall of silence from both, leads me to believe nobody will be stepping forward to make a claim of theft.

In which case, if its not theft (I think it should be) an independent medical professional will need to establish who gave permission to take the vaccines home and recommend a course of action.

I'm pretty certain it was referred to as theft in the dail, now I think it was paul murphy that said it so not sure how much weight it will have , as he seems to moan about absolutely everything, but in this case he is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

Will the 20 teachers get their 2nd Pfizer dose as scheduled now?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

BettyS wrote: »
    Will the 20 teachers get their 2nd Pfizer dose as scheduled now?

Of course this is Ireland so they will argue the first 20 would go to waste if they are not scheduled in for the next 20.

As a form of punishment for being asshole queue jumpers I recommend it is administered anally.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

jmayo wrote: »
    Of course this is Ireland so they will argue the first 20 would go to waste if they are not scheduled in for the next 20.

As a form of punishment for being asshole queue jumpers I recommend it is administered anally.
    Well, they have to. Despite their lack of shame/understanding it would be a poor public health decision not to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Well a few years ago at Christmas my manager at the time rocked in with a bottle of wine for one of my colleagues to say thanks for their hard work.

The rest of us in the room were left open mouthed , we were not aware of any additional tasks this employee had undertaken or anything like that to warrant why they were deserving of a bottle of wine and we were not.

Now it's a bottle of wine not exactly break the bank stuff , but it would still get a random mention, months after the fact. It certainly didn't make us feel like valued members of the team....but you get over that.

This situation you are talking about a life saving vaccine , might allow people visit relatives that are sick etc

I'd imagine some of the 80 teachers have received some levels of negativity since the story broke. Some may find the whole saga fairly stressful especially as they are innocent pawns in the debacle.

Some may feel less than motivated to get out of bed at the start of term and ring in sick. Some may feel let the golden 20 deal with the extra work load.

I've seen people signed off work on stress for situations less stressful than this one.

Are there some special privileges conferred on those that have had half the vaccine that I’m not aware of ? I was under the impression that they are subject to the same restrictions as the rest of us. So visiting sick relatives will be out of the question regardless.

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    Are there some special privileges conferred on those that have had half the vaccine that I’m not aware of ? I was under the impression that they are subject to the same restrictions as the rest of us. So visiting sick relatives will be out of the question regardless.

No there's no benefit whatsoever in getting the vaccine, none, absolutely none.

With that in mind I'm not sure why they felt the need to skip the queue or keep it secret from their colleagues. Or indeed get the vaccine at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

There is a benefit, they can meet other vaccinated people inside or outside once they are fully vaccinated, which they will be. This could be very beneficial for someone with elderly parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Apart from the benefit of not dying of Covid and not getting long Covid and not getting Covid, you're absolutely right.

Apart from the benefit of not dying of Covid and not getting long Covid and not getting Covid, you're absolutely right.

I may have been sarcastic! :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,485 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I have to say fair play to the whistle blowers in both of the recent nepotism scandals. If not for them this corruption would be kept secret.
    The thing we don't know is are there other cases that have not been made public

I would hope there is some central register somewhere that records all vaccines given, the recipient and what cohort they are in

The official stats now indicate 385 "not coded" (40 of whom have had their second dose). I think, in the interests of public confidence in the vaccine rollout, they should be providing some explanation of who is in this and why they are "not coded"

There may be some perfectly acceptable explanations of those 285, but it's only reasonable that explanations are given

And if someone says they don't know, well there are 245 of those individuals still due second doses so they can check them out when they turn up for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Has anyone any idea who will take on the vaccinating of Beacon patients and take their supply of the vaccines? Or who already has taken the vaccines?

Beasty wrote: »
    The thing we don't know is are there other cases that have not been made public

I'd imagine there are a few gp's that have given doses to spouses and spouses of the secretary , immediate family etc who thought no harm as the hse won't check/ hasn't the resources to check up on every single dose.

There's probably others that looked after their buddies/business interests.

I do think it's either foolishness or arrogance for the big hospitals to break away from protocol especially after the Coombe....way too many eyes and possible whistleblowers.

With that in mind I'm not sure why they felt the need to skip the queue or keep it secret from their colleagues. Or indeed get the vaccine at all.

Exactly thanks for clarifying .

Chances of a fit and healthy teacher of working age dying of COVID is tiny , do you worry about getting COVID and having serious health issues ? Can’t say I do personally. Nor should I given my age and general health.

There is a benefit, they can meet other vaccinated people inside or outside once they are fully vaccinated, which they will be. This could be very beneficial for someone with elderly parents.

Good point I forgot about that although I did say have a vaccine so they won’t qualify for that just yet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Ireland is 3rd in EU for cumulative rate of vaccination, behind Malta and Hungary (who are using the Russian product)
    ECDC numbers April 2021

Our first vaccine rates are higher than Denmark, Sweden, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Belgium, Norway, Austria, Portugal.
    Finland has more 1st vaccinations done but only 2% of second shots (they went for a widespread first shot due to their recent spike and lock-down).

So despite the messing by a small number of private individuals taking personal liberties with supplied vaccines, Ireland is doing comparatively well with roll-out. Of course this may not suit everyone in media or politics to go by the numbers, they prefer scare-mongering and cheap catchphrases.

Comparisons with the UK need to take into account that BJ's government fast-tracked approval to get a 3 week head-start on the EU, plus used the product contrary to label by changing schedule of booster shots to get more product into arms to boost numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Exactly thanks for clarifying .

You're ignoring the glaringly obvious point that they got a vaccine of at the expense of those who have a much larger health risk associated with not getting it.

Ireland is 3rd in EU for cumulative rate of vaccination, behind Malta and Hungary (who are using the Russian product)
    ECDC numbers April 2021

Our first vaccine rates are higher than Denmark, Sweden, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Belgium, Norway, Austria, Portugal.
    Finland has more 1st vaccinations done but only 2% of second shots (they went for a widespread first shot due to their recent spike and lock-down).

So despite the messing by a small number of private individuals taking personal liberties with supplied vaccines, Ireland is doing comparatively well with roll-out. Of course this may not suit everyone in media or politics to go by the numbers, they prefer scare-mongering and cheap catchphrases.

Comparisons with the UK need to take into account that BJ's government fast-tracked approval to get a 3 week head-start on the EU, plus used the product contrary to label by changing schedule of booster shots to get more product into arms to boost numbers

An equivalent statement would be "there's huge amounts of people who don't break the law do why worry about those who do"?

I find this is like arguing with Brexit or Trump supporters. You'll have people who simply ignore corruption and accuse those who care about it as scare-mongering.

The fact vaccines are being distributed does not negate the fact that teachers in the same school as the CEO's children were prioritised over cancer victims.

I feel that when I worked in a hospital I could simply move you or your family down the waiting list with the excuse "well most people are getting treated so I don't see the problem".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Chances of a fit and healthy teacher of working age dying of COVID is tiny , do you worry about getting COVID and having serious health issues ? Can’t say I do personally. Nor should I given my age and general health.

And here is the nub of the whole issue. Those who are unlikely to die or suffer serious effects of Covid, not worrying about it sufficiently to see that they are the very ones who will pass it on to others who are vulnerable.

Life is not all about you!!!

And here is the nub of the whole issue. Those who are unlikely to die or suffer serious effects of Covid, not worrying about it sufficiently to see that they are the very ones who will pass it on to others who are vulnerable.

Life is not all about you!!!

Speak for yourself I can be unconcerned about getting COVID and still follow the guidelines . They are mutually exclusive concepts.

• Advertisement

Speak for yourself I can be unconcerned about getting COVID and still follow the guidelines . They are mutually exclusive concepts.

You have been speaking for yourself and you have repeatedly downplayed the guidelines.

You have been speaking for yourself and you have repeatedly depended on downplayed the guidelines.

In English?

In English?

Fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

steddyeddy wrote:
    The fact vaccines are being distributed does not negate the fact that teachers in the same school as the CEO's children were prioritised over cancer victims.

There's a touch of Groundhog Day about this but the question has to be asked; if the HSE left vaccines unused in the Beacon, should they not be the ones explaining why they didnt find cancer victims to give them to?

And a supplementary question; if vaccines were due to expire in less than two hours, why would the Beacon be expected to find deserving users when the HSE couldn't?

You have been speaking for yourself and you have repeatedly downplayed the guidelines.

We are speaking about different guidelines I assume as I never downplayed the ones applicable to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

An equivalent statement would be "there's huge amounts of people who don't break the law do why worry about those who do"?

I find this is like arguing with Brexit or Trump supporters. You'll have people who simply ignore corruption and accuse those who care about it as scare-mongering.

I feel that when I worked in a hospital I could simply move you or your family down the waiting list with the excuse "well most people are getting treated so I don't see the problem".

Agree that the actions of Bracon management were very wrong and need to be actioned on. But their actions do not prove elitism, privilege or institutional bias. They were a solo run that was in clear breach of guidelines laid down.
    It should not be used to erode public confidence in a fair and relatively well run public vaccination process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Another supplementary question. If you know from earlier in the day that a number of candidates have been double booked elsewhere (and it seems a certain percentage of no shows is common) why would you make up the vaccine solution hours before it might be needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭Treppen

First Up wrote: »
    There's a touch of Groundhog Day about this but the question has to be asked; if the HSE left vaccines unused in the Beacon, should they not be the ones explaining why they didnt find cancer victims to give them to?

And a supplementary question; if vaccines were due to expire in less than two hours, why would the Beacon be expected to find deserving users when the HSE couldn't?

Still at it I see, yes blame everyone else to deflect from the issue.

Another supplementary question. If you know from earlier in the day that a number of candidates have been double booked elsewhere (and it seems a certain percentage of no shows is common) why would you make up the vaccine solution hours before it might be needed?

The Beacon knew nothing about double bookings. It seems the HSE only realised it after the Beacon reported the no shows.

Anyone dispensing vaccines will do so as quickly as possible, which means having them ready. Some no shows may be inevitable but 200 is outside the statistical range.

• Advertisement

Treppen wrote: »
    Still at it I see, yes blame everyone else to deflect from the issue.

Yes, I'm still pointing out the obvious.

Advertisement