Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

VonLuck wrote: »
    It's been over a year and you still don't understand why young people (and everyone) are being asked to obey the restrictions? It's not about their health, it's about the health of the more vulnerable.

So it’s of no benefit to them then.
    And they’ll be the ones to suffer for years with high unemployment, high national debt, housing crisis, increased taxation, even worse HSE.

Surely societies focus should always be about prioritising a better future?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

And they’ll be the ones to suffer for years with high unemployment, high national debt, housing crisis, increased taxation, even worse HSE.

Depends if they are already/want to be orphans I guess.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

So the French will have a 1 month lockdown that will be much less restrictive than what Ireland have had for the best part of half a year.

Strange argument

Probably not the ideal poster-child for lower restrictions....
    The vast medical complex is turning away critically ill patients from smaller towns nearby for lack of space.
    Yet even though France is now Europe’s latest virus danger zone, Macron has resisted calls for dramatic action.

The government refuses to acknowledge failure and blames delayed vaccine deliveries and a disobedient public for soaring infections and saturated hospitals. Macron’s critics blame arrogance at the highest levels. They say France’s leaders ignored warning signs and favored political and economic calculations over public health — and lives.
    Daily new COVID-19 infections in France have doubled since February to average nearly 40,000. The number of COVID-19 patients in intensive care breached 5,000 this week, exceeding the peak hit during the six-week second lockdown enforced late last year.

More than 40 ICU and emergency doctors in Paris published an op-ed Sunday in the newspaper Journal du Dimanche, warning that ICUs in the region would reach capacity in the next two weeks if restrictions were not tightened.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Graham wrote: »
    Probably not the ideal poster-child for lower restrictions....

They left Disneyland open for a long time into Covid and they wonder why it got out of control.

pjohnson wrote: »

if these crowds of kids in parks and on canal banks are teenagers, then their parents are only in their 30's and early 40's! So you are being disingenuous when you suggest these kids will be orphaned.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

My sister who lives in Donegal went to her local beauty spot yesterday morning for a walk, its a forest. However the gates were blocked by 2 Gardai cars . Tragically there here had been a suicide during the night of a young local teenager.

THIS is not being spoken about. Surely the "vulnerable" consists of more then people in their 70's and 80's! Many young people are also vulnerable. Mentally. And that is just as important. I hope they continue to socialize and drink with their friends. After a year of this and clueless Government restrictions that no longer make sense, they deserve to be with their friends. There are more ways to die than Covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

France introducing new nationwide lockdown measures for at least one month. The price for countries that don't keep control of the spread are tougher brake measures rather than softer long term measures.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2021/mar/31/coronavirus-live-news-who-lab-leak-theory-investigation-quito-hospitals-overwhelmed

Well done, you keep on bringing the bad news. I see you have even started another thread to discuss a significant weather event this weekend where temperatures drop to a few degrees below freezing with associated snow showers likely and late season coverings in places over the coming days.

You then conclude with a smiley emoji !!!!!

I`d say you`re great fun in the pub, Oh wait......................

if these crowds of kids in parks and on canal banks are teenagers, then their parents are only in their 30's and early 40's! So you are being disingenuous when you suggest these kids will be orphaned.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

My sister who lives in Donegal went to her local beauty spot yesterday morning for a walk, its a forest. However the gates were blocked by 2 Gardai cars . Tragically there here had been a suicide during the night of a young local teenager.

THIS is not being spoken about. Surely the "vulnerable" consists of more then people in their 70's and 80's! Many young people are also vulnerable. Mentally. And that is just as important. I hope they continue to socialize and drink with their friends. After a year of this and clueless Government restrictions that no longer make sense, they deserve it!

If you are so concerned about them its odd you think they "deserve" to keep the case numbers high so that the restrictions that you claim is hurting them remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭VonLuck

A better future for all, not a future cut short for the older and more vulnerable.

THIS is not being spoken about. Surely the "vulnerable" consists of more then people in their 70's and 80's! Many young people are also vulnerable. Mentally. And that is just as important. I hope they continue to socialize and drink with their friends. After a year of this and clueless Government restrictions that no longer make sense, they deserve to be with their friends. There are more ways to die than Covid.

You do realise that these teens parents also have parents? A teenager giving covid to their 40 year parents may seem like nothing, but those 40 year old's have 60-70 year old parents too. It's about general spread.

And this whole "mental health" of the young people is totally over played. Yes, there are people who have serious mental health issues but people are acting like every 18 year old is severely depressed. The majority of people are just sick of it all. That doesn't mean they can't deal with it. I'm sick of it too, but I just need to power through unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

If you are so concerned about them its odd you think they "deserve" to keep the case numbers high so that the restrictions that you claim is hurting them remain.

Case numbers!

Compare now to when we opened up last may and our testing and case numbers are through the roof. We are running approximately 4 times the case numbers now compared to last may on average.

Yet we have less than half the amount of people in hospitals compared to last May and it even dropped further last night to 270.

We have stagnant “high” case numbers for nigh on what 3/4 weeks and hospitalisations keep dropping, we are now at our lowest since Christmas yet we are still averaging around 600 cases a day

We need to stop obsessing with case numbers being the bible, vaccines are seeing to that yet we still report and obsess over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭LameBeaver

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Here in Maynooth the Harbour field was like Glastonbury the other night It looked like great craic altogether. Guess what the curtain twitchers have done now?

Contacted the Garda who are now putting on extra patrols and are going to actively break up gatherings of people.

Ridiculous stuff altogether.

Fair play to them. The more "curtain twitchers " that do this the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

They know people are just going to throw their hands up in the air at some point and all say fcuk the restrictions.
    So they are just trying to drag it out until we get to that point, so more are vaccinated when it happens.
    They have no intension of lifting restrictions. Just to play it as long as it lasts.

Another one playing the "mental health" card who has been in favour all along of letting the virus rip and fcuk the vulnerable. Disgraceful post. You should hang your head in shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,280 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

LameBeaver wrote: »
    Another one playing the "mental health" card who has been in favour all along of letting the virus rip and fcuk the vulnerable. Disgraceful post. You should hang your head in shame.

Too obvious, you need more subtlety.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

It's been over a year and you still don't understand why young people (and everyone) are being asked to obey the restrictions? It's not about their health, it's about the health of the more vulnerable.

How many outbreaks have been linked to people gathering outdoors?

Ah come on.

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Well done, you keep on bringing the bad news. I see you have even started another thread to discuss a significant weather event this weekend where temperatures drop to a few degrees below freezing with associated snow showers likely and late season coverings in places over the coming days.

You then conclude with a smiley emoji !!!!!

I`d say you`re great fun in the pub, Oh wait......................

And why should he not?

A better future for all, not a future cut short for the older and more vulnerable.

You do realise that these teens parents also have parents? A teenager giving covid to their 40 year parents may seem like nothing, but those 40 year old's have 60-70 year old parents too. It's about general spread.

And this whole "mental health" of the young people is totally over played. Yes, there are people who have serious mental health issues but people are acting like every 18 year old is severely depressed. The majority of people are just sick of it all. That doesn't mean they can't deal with it. I'm sick of it too, but I just need to power through unfortunately.

It seems that many are seriously lacking in moral fibre.

LameBeaver wrote: »
    Another one playing the "mental health" card who has been in favour all along of letting the virus rip and fcuk the vulnerable. Disgraceful post. You should hang your head in shame .

I will do no such thing! I am an advocate of mental health. I have lost 2 young people in my extended family to suicide. After a year of the most stringent lockdown in Europe no wonder people are breaking. Once again our target for vaccination will NOT be met in April! We are hanging on to the Government fulfilling it's promise day after day, week after week. Yet they fall at every hurdle. How long are people expected to not work? Watch their business collapse? Watch their family and loved ones suffer the longer this goes on?

I am not saying "let it rip". I never said "fcuk the vulnerable". My 87 year mother had Covid and survived. So did my 7 months pregnant daughter, her toddler of 18 months, her husband, both her parents-in law who are obese. All survived, no long Covid, all continued to work throughout .

Most people have a balanced perspective at this stage that Covid is not what is was made out to be at the beginning. 300K people did not die, most people get it and recover unless they have underlying conditions or are morbidly obese. . The vulnerable at now being vaccinated.

However there are others in society who are vulnerable in many different ways , including young people. That is why I gave the example of the young suicide in the forest yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Too obvious, you need more subtlety.

The reg date is the clue isn't it?

I will do no such thing! I am an advocate of mental health. I have lost 2 young people in my extended family to suicide. After a year of the most stringent lockdown in Europe no wonder people are breaking. Once again our target for vaccination will NOT be met in April! We are hanging on to the Government fulfilling it's promise day after day, week after week. Yet they fall at every hurdle. How long are people expected to not work? Watch their business collapse? Watch their family and loved ones suffer the longer this goes on?

I am not saying "let it rip". I never said "fcuk the vulnerable". My 87 year mother had Covid and survived. So did my 7 months pregnant daughter, her toddler of 18 months, her husband, both her parents-in law who are obese. All survived, no long Covid, all continued to work throughout .

Most people have a balanced perspective at this stage that Covid is not what is was made out to be at the beginning. 300K people did not die, most people get it and recover unless they have underlying conditions or are morbidly obese. . The vulnerable at now being vaccinated.

However there are others in society who are vulnerable in many different ways , including young people. That is why I gave the example of the young suicide in the forest yesterday.

You really shouldn't feed it.

What I don't understand is why so many people the world over trust the government. Look at what happened in the US with the Tuskegee Syphilis Study, for example. The same CDC that is currently terrifying people in the US (the latest hysteria: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56572452) conducted that study in collaboration with the United States Public Health Service. It was truly awful what they did and yet it enjoys high levels of support and trust based on polls in the US. I know it was a long time ago, and that there are different people working for the CDC now, but I just think it's always a good idea for people to question what they're told. Not reject it out hand, but just take it on board and examine it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭VonLuck

How many outbreaks have been linked to people gathering outdoors?

Impossible to know. Neither of us have the answer.

You really shouldn't feed it.

Remind me again how many threads on this forum you have been banned from chief.

the kelt wrote: »
    Case numbers!

Compare now to when we opened up last may and our testing and case numbers are through the roof. We are running approximately 4 times the case numbers now compared to last may on average.

Yet we have less than half the amount of people in hospitals compared to last May and it even dropped further last night to 270.

We have stagnant “high” case numbers for nigh on what 3/4 weeks and hospitalisations keep dropping, we are now at our lowest since Christmas yet we are still averaging around 600 cases a day

We need to stop obsessing with case numbers being the bible, vaccines are seeing to that yet we still report and obsess over them.

Whatever the opinion on relying on case numbers its clear to most sane people that the government relies on and uses case numbers as a reason to keep restrictions.

So the people that are supposedly against restrictions encouraging behaviour that keeps up/increases the case numbers is the definition of a self fulfilling prophecy.

They claim to be against restrictions yet do their best to ensure restrictions remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Ah the chief is back

Central Bank giving a reality check...
    Irish Times Business (@IrishTimesBiz) Tweeted: Up to 100,000 people will permanently lose their jobs as a result of the pandemic, the Central Bank has warned. https://t.co/WflfBsKw4t https://twitter.com/IrishTimesBiz/status/1377523637885022208?s=20

Whatever the opinion on relying on case numbers its clear to most sane people that the government relies on and uses case numbers as a reason to keep restrictions.

So the people that are supposedly against restrictions encouraging behaviour that keeps up/increases the case numbers is the definition of a self fulfilling prophecy.

They claim to be against restrictions yet do their best to ensure restrictions remain.

Have you any understanding of human behaviour particularly the young?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Did anyone hear Kingston Mills last night, over the moon they're now testing the Vaccines in 6mt olds. I don't like where this is going, seemingly if we vaccinate 100% of the over 18's we still won't reach herd immunity so we need to vaccinate the children as well.
    The HSE seem to be going after young children now with testing being trialed in creches, some will test positive on a pcr test and the argument will be made they need to be vaccinated.
    The Governments vaccination plan doesn't work without mandatory vaccinations of children, they won't get the numbers otherwise.

What scares me is still no early intervention to stop severe symptoms and lessen the chances of long Covid. We've become obsessed with the Vaccine as a way out. Somebody needs to change the record pronto or this could possibly get worse not better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Central Bank giving a reality check...

indeed
    upgraded its growth forecast for the economy this year to 5.9 per cent, up from a previous forecast of 3.8 per cent, and to 4.7 per cent for 2022.

“The high level of savings that have been accumulated over the the past year as well as improving consumer and business sentiment will support stronger domestic demand [in the second half of 2021],” Mr Cassidy said, noting that an additional €15.7 billion had been placed on deposit by Irish households in the past 12 months.

The Central Bank has calculated than €10 billion of this can be classified as “excess savings”, and that based on previous spending patterns about €5 billion is likely to flow back out into the economy as additional spending once the restrictions are lifted. This would act as stimulus to recovery, Mr Cassidy said.

Graham wrote: »
    indeed

People who have worked form home have seen a dividend in no transport costs , less on lunches , less on crèche fees increased savings
    What has your post got to do with the permanent loss of a 100,000 jobs. (Hard to save money on the dole) downplaying the situation is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,096 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Perhaps the government should have factored in compliance of young people when implementing restrictions then. I'm fed up seeing people be blamed for government failings. We've been under harsh restrictions for a good part of the last year. That feels like a lifetime when you're in your teens/early 20s.

Could you explain that idea?

Which bits are government failings and in what way are they blaming people for their failings?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement