Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are those my feet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Nice to see your progress. You have showed great patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Nice to see your progress. You have showed great patience.

Cheers D. Yeah, the patience has been tested for sure... I'm glad I didn't know at the outset how long it would take for things to begin to come right. What I've really missed is the routine of running most days and also long runs... god, how I've missed long runs!!! 2+ hours out on the roads - bliss :). Still, there's bigger problems in the world! It has been great to be able to get some regularity back into the running routine of late, and as the distances have crept up it's been nice to rediscover roads I've not seen in a while. I do try to focus on the positive and "enjoy" the process of recovery, as frustrating as it is!

A busy six weeks since my last update. In headline news - I got married two weeks ago! It was a fun few months trying to plan the day around ever-changing guidelines :rolleyes:, but it all came together really well in the end and we had a truly great day :).

Back to the running - I didn't quite manage the targeted 100 miles for August (91), but that's possibly not a bad thing. Progress on the foot had stagnated a bit, but over the past fortnight I've reduced the mileage a touch (due to the wedding) and the foot seems to be improving again. I may have been pushing things a fraction too much - I think it's just not ready yet for too many 5 and 6 mile runs in a week. I'll keep tipping away with the 3 and 4 mile runs for the rest of this month and review then. The strengthening exercises also took a nosedive over the past fortnight so I'm just getting stuck back into those again this week. Hopefully it's nearly cleared up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Many Congrats A!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Congratulations A, great news!

Plenty of time to build up the fitness again while you get used to married life :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Congrats A

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Aww congratulations A :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭ariana`

Ah congrats on the nuptials A, wonderful news!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭yido1882

Big congrats A, that's great news!

*** Blows the cobwebs off ***

Six months since my last update - this log took a bit of finding!

To catch up - around the end of November I developed another injury to go along with my long-term foot injury. This second injury turned out to be a prepatellar bursitis - basically a pocket of fluid on the front of the knee. I don't exaggerate when I say this thing was massive. It took over six weeks before eventually disappearing of it's own accord. But, such was the size of the thing I was advised not to run, and also sent for an x-ray (all-clear) and then an MRI. The MRI revealed what looked like a meniscus tear, but a subsequent visit to a consultant advised that the knee was fine, apart from the normal wear and tear you'd expect, especially in a runner. Between the bursitis first surfacing and the subsequent waiting on appointments etc, it was almost exactly three months of no running (or any activity tbh), but mercifullly I was finally given the green light to resume running in late February.

Meanwhile, my original foot injury (tenosynovitis of the FHL at the knot of Henry, for those struggling to keep track :)) was no better, despite three months rest. This injury is on the opposite leg to the knee bursitis, btw. So anyway, with it being 12 months at this stage since the foot injury first surfaced, the physio advised orthotics. Basically, the arch on my right foot is very flat, and when I land the tendons in my foot are not happy, and causing the pain. I've done the world of bridges, planks, clams, crabs etc over the past year to try and get stronger and alleviate the impact on the tendons, and while I can see improvements, it's not been enough to clear the injury, so orthotics were the next step.

I've had the orthotics for almost a month now, and they are going pretty well. Started off with walking and then trying them on a short run here and there. Felt very, very weird at first, but gradually I've gotten used to them. Still not happy to run more than 3-4 miles in them as I can feel a blister wanting to form, so anything longer than that I have not used them yet, but I am using them more frequently in my runs and wearing them for the majority of the day when I'm not running.

At this stage I would run in wellies if I thought it would help. Hopefully these do the trick anyway. So far I'm very happy with them, aside from the blisters. I've always felt ploddy and laboured in my running style, but with these I feel much more smoother - could be just confirmation bias of course. Most importantly the foot injury feels a great deal better - still an occassional peep out of it, but it's a lot better over the past month.

Aside from running, I've started doing a bit of walking. It started as a way to break in the orthotics, but I've found I enjoy it. Not that I'm doing loads or anything - usually just 20-30 minutes on my non-running days. I find it great to clear the head, either before work or at lunch. I managed to rack up 27.9 walking miles in March - not that impressive on the face of it, but every little helps. I've also done the odd spin on the exercise bike, but I struggle with the motivation there. The main draw is that I've started re-watching The Soprano's while on the bike. Currently halfway through the first season - what a show.

Running wise I managed to rack up 49.8 miles in March, mainly 3 or so miles every second day. I'll continue to take it handy in April as and I hopefully get fully comfortable with the orthotics I will start doing consecutive days and slightly longer runs. After 3 months off my fitness was in my boots the first few runs back, but even the few miles I've done in March made a bit of a difference - I no longer get a stitch after a mile-and-a-half! Hopefully this won't be a false dawn and the progress will continue from here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sorbet

Delighted to see you are on the mend. For what it's worth; when I got Othotics (due to flat feet that I never knew about) I developed serious blisters on the arches of both feet. Felt a bit down about it as it felt like I'd never get back to running and thought the "solution" wasn't going to work. It totally worked and the arches just toughened up a bit. I only use the orthotics when running but it would feel really weird to run without them. You'll get used to them. Best of luck.

Great to see you back A :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Great stuff, super to see the comeback. You have some incredible patience!
    We re-watched the Sopranos last year - just as brilliant second time around.

Sorbet wrote: »
    Delighted to see you are on the mend. For what it's worth; when I got Othotics (due to flat feet that I never knew about) I developed serious blisters on the arches of both feet. Felt a bit down about it as it felt like I'd never get back to running and thought the "solution" wasn't going to work. It totally worked and the arches just toughened up a bit. I only use the orthotics when running but it would feel really weird to run without them. You'll get used to them. Best of luck.

Thanks for that feedback, it was reassuring to hear of some positive orthotic experiences from yourself and others on strava. The physio did warn me to expect blisters, and it is taking longer and longer into a run for me to feel one, so I'm sure they will become a non-factor in time.

Great to see you back A :)
    Thanks E. It's good to be pointed in the right direction, finally :)

eyrie wrote: »
    Great stuff, super to see the comeback. You have some incredible patience!
    We re-watched the Sopranos last year - just as brilliant second time around.
    Cheers C, yeah I'm really enjoying The Sopranos. I would have watched it all through the first time round, but only dipped into an odd episode here and there since, so it's great re-starting from the beginning. The Wire would be my all-time favourite TV show, but we will see if that changes after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

You've really had rotten luck, especially when you consider what a sensible runner you always were/are!
    Fingers crossed this is the final road back to where you were before now. You've shown wonderful patience.
    I've often found walking just as good for the head as running really, plus it's easier to people watch at the slower pace :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

Cheers C, yeah I'm really enjoying The Sopranos. I would have watched it all through the first time round, but only dipped into an odd episode here and there since, so it's great re-starting from the beginning. The Wire would be my all-time favourite TV show, but we will see if that changes after this.

Delighted to see this log reactivated and the running back up on Strava too.

I highly recommend the "Talking Sopranos" podcasts, if you haven't found them already, with Michael Imperioli and Steve Schirripa Steve Schirripa and Michael Imperioli :) with regular cast and crew interviews. We have tickets for "In Conversation With The Sopranos", featuring the aforementioned and Vinny Pastore....if that ever takes place !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Brilliant that you are getting out regularly again and, to quote a much overused phrase the last few days, on a careful path back to normality. I hope the progress continues :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Welcome back A! You have the patience of a saint and I hope to see ya reap the rewards of that this year.

I rewatched Sopranos last year. Such a quality show, I'd find it hard to split it and The Wire too! The only series I've watched in last couple of years that I'd put up near those 2 is The Leftovers if ya get a chance to watch it.

ReeReeG wrote: »
    You've really had rotten luck, especially when you consider what a sensible runner you always were/are!
    Fingers crossed this is the final road back to where you were before now. You've shown wonderful patience.
    I've often found walking just as good for the head as running really, plus it's easier to people watch at the slower pace :p

Thanks V, my patience has been tested, trust me! Not much scope for people watching on the country roads where I've been doing most of my walking, but I find myself observing way more than I would when running - nice gardens, birds chirping, stuff in fields, etc. When I'm running I just think about running mainly, and take in very little of my surroundings.

Delighted to see this log reactivated and the running back up on Strava too.

I highly recommend the "Talking Sopranos" podcasts, if you haven't found them already, with Michael Imperioli and Steve Schirripa Steve Schirripa and Michael Imperioli :) with regular cast and crew interviews. We have tickets for "In Conversation With The Sopranos", featuring the aforementioned and Vinny Pastore....if that ever takes place !

Cheers J. I've never really been much into podcasts tbh. If Spurs are going well I might listen to something Spurs-related, so I haven't listened to any this year :(

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Brilliant that you are getting out regularly again and, to quote a much overused phrase the last few days, on a careful path back to normality. I hope the progress continues :)

Thanks S. That's a pretty apt comparison! Yeah, for now I'm just enjoying being able to get out regularly and getting used to running being a thing I do again. I missed it.

Welcome back A! You have the patience of a saint and I hope to see ya reap the rewards of that this year.

I rewatched Sopranos last year. Such a quality show, I'd find it hard to split it and The Wire too! The only series I've watched in last couple of years that I'd put up near those 2 is The Leftovers if ya get a chance to watch it.

Cheers J. That's high praise indeed for The Leftovers. I've not seen it but it's definitely going on the list if you're putting it in such lofty company!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Great to see you back running A. I use a custom insole orthotic on my left foot due to mortons syndrome (not neuroma). Gotten to the stage now where I don't even realise I have it on. Don't even need it for certain shoes - those with a lot of cushioning.

• Advertisement

Treviso wrote: »
    Great to see you back running A. I use a custom insole orthotic on my left foot due to mortons syndrome (not neuroma). Gotten to the stage now where I don't even realise I have it on. Don't even need it for certain shoes - those with a lot of cushioning.

Cheers T. Yeah, I recalled you mentioning that before actually - great to hear it's worked for you. I'm not fully up to date on what everyone around here is up to, but your progress over the last while certainly stands out. Great stuff altogether T - you're flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Great to see you back out running again, stick with the patient approach and you'll continue to progress. At least you haven't missed any races!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Sopranos surely trumps The Wire?

Great to see you back running and the log revived. Glad the meniscus turned out to be plain-old wear and tear, too.

tbukela wrote: »
    Great to see you back out running again, stick with the patient approach and you'll continue to progress. At least you haven't missed any races!
    Thanks T. Yeah, I'll keep any mileage increases gradual for now. Had to reign myself in a bit this week - was eager to do a bit more but I'll try and keep a lid on things for a few more weeks. At least there is no temptation to rush things for the sake of some race. I hope your own niggles/injuries are clearing up?
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    Sopranos surely trumps The Wire?

Great to see you back running and the log revived. Glad the meniscus turned out to be plain-old wear and tear, too.
    The Wire has always been #1 for me E - I've watched it through many times and know it inside and out at this stage. I just wouldn't have the same familiarity with The Sopranos, yet...

Yeah, for a while there I was worried that my body was a wreck not suited to running, so I was mightily relieved when I was told that the knee was fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭ariana`

Delire to see some activity here again A, and even more so to see you active on Strava. Fingers crossed you get a good run at it now :)

Short and sweet update this month.

April was a good month, with 85 miles ran, and progress made to 5 days per week. Most importantly, the troublesome foot continues to behave itself. There has been the odd twinge with it now and then, but I've found that if I wear the orthotics near constantly then it's fine. There has been a few other niggles (knee, calf) as the body gets used to running again, but nothing major. The blistering issues I was experiencing with the orthotics have eased a good bit too - not quite 100% yet, but getting there.

I'm really enjoying the running at the moment - looking forward to each run and seeing some progress. I've not been paying too much attention to pace - most runs have ended up at what feels like a moderate/steady effort. As the mileage increases I'll start paying more attention there.

For May it will be more of the same - 5 runs a week, gradually increasing the mileage. I might add a few strides here and there towards the end of the month, and all going well I should top 100 miles for May. Slow, steady progress. And DPD are dropping off a pair of Novablast's this afternoon - looking forward to trying those out.

Let us know what you think of the Novablasts, I'm on my 2nd pair, really like them but they have varied reviews from others on here...

Good to see you enjoying your running again :)

May was another positive month, with last night's run taking me over the 100 mile mark for the first month since January of last year. A bit of a dose kept me out of action for a few days last week, but other than that it was a very solid month. The highlight was a 9 mile long run the weekend before last - this was just a lovely run which felt smooth and comfortable and hinted at fitness returning.

Bar one set of strides, everything was easy pace in May, so for June I plan to add a little more work (strides, an endurance run or two, that 50 min mix grads plan run). I'll keep the volume at around 30 miles per week across 5 days. I'd hope to kick off a base plan then in July. I've been thinking about a 5k TT towards the end of June but might just leave it altogether. We shall see.

I was very sceptical of the Novablasts at first - they felt unsteady or something. But I've found they are growing on me the more I wear them. They don't offer too much protection from the water though, so I'll keep them for dry days, which have thankfully finally arrived!

The niggles have subsided and the foot continues to play ball for the most part. I'm still super aware of it, and it complains now and then, but nothing too bad. The physio has added some single leg balancing exercises to my regime. I have noticed my cadence is almost 10 points higher compared to similar paced runs pre-injury. Not sure if it's the shoes, the ortothics, more core strength, or just the watch messing me about, but I definitely do feel smoother than before.

Thanks for reading :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Great update! Delighted your incredible patience has been paying off, must be a relief too.

• Advertisement

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Great update! Delighted your incredible patience has been paying off, must be a relief too.

Thanks V. It's just great to be able to enjoy a run without worrying about the foot. The injury sucked all the enjoyment out of running - I'd spend all day looking forward to a run, only to end up frustrated with myself and the injury by the end of the run. Hard going after a while. Hopefully things remain on track from here.

Glad to see you on the road back too, nice patience on show there too.

Advertisement