Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are those my feet?

Options
1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Sorry to hear that A. Fingers crossed you're good to go next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Really sorry to read this A but I will be sending as much positivity your way as is possible💛After being to the physio a few weeks before my own marathon with my calf, he hoped it was the lesser of 2 evils so I do know some of how you are feeling, it's hard not to despair but hang on in there & hopefully the run next week will go well & it will be all systems go for you 🤗

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭py

Fingers crossed for you A.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

That's a sickener A but physio sounds hopeful so fingers and toes crossed for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Best of running tomorrow A, enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Dublin Marathon 2023

The TLDR version of this report is that I finished in 3:31:38 - a PB of 15 and a half minutes. Two weeks ago I'd have been gutted not to break 3:30, but come Sunday I was delighted (and still am).

For anyone with plenty of time on their hands, here is the full version:

The F##king Injury

The 10-12 days leading into the marathon were a disaster. I'd been working towards this for 18 months, and even that rough 18-month plan had been on ice for the previous 12 months, if not longer. Had my body let me down now, so close to the start line? As per physio instructions I diligently iced, stretched and foam rolled my left calf every day. It seemed to be gradually improving over that first weekend, and by Monday of race week I was reasonably confident I'd be ok for Dublin. The physio had advised a test run on Tuesday or Wednesday - the leg wasn't feeling 100% on Tuesday so I just went for a short walk with the dog. This seemed to set things back and it was impossible to envisage running pain free the next day. Tuesday night and Wednesday were bleak - I'd genuinely written off all hope of doing Dublin. Started looking at plans for Limerick in May, but that was just more depressing when I thought of all the midweek sessions and long runs that would be required throughout January and February. I put the test run off again until Thursday, then Friday, in the vain hope of a miracle, but honestly it just felt like I was delaying the inevitable. But, come Thursday and then Friday the leg started to improve again - it's the hope that kills you. I went for an "easy" 4 miles at Friday lunch time - HR was through the roof, every other muscle and bone in my body seemed to creak, but the leg itself seemed relatively ok. The odd peep, but only if you went looking for it. I had physio afterwards, and she really put me through my paces. Hopping, probing, prodding - she was happy that the injury was tendon only, and that I could run the marathon. She did also say that I'd likely be in pain with the tendon during the race, and that I'd need to readjust my finish time, and allow for extra recovery post-race. Those asterisks were a little deflating, but I wasn't backing out now that she'd given me the green light.

Saturday into Sunday

On Friday night and all day Saturday I felt a cold coming on... I downed four lemsip on Saturday alone. Maranoia? Maybe, maybe not. The good news was that the injured (left) leg played ball all day Saturday. The right ankle did start acting up - hopefully one of those things that was gone by the next day. Not wanting to jinx things, I hadn't packed anything prior to Friday, and was busy watching Spurs on Friday night, so it was a rush getting organised on Saturday morning. Forgot to bring my pillow, but that was all thankfully. My wife was running on Sunday too, and we also gave a lift to another two from the local running group, so the excitement and running talk distracted me from any head cold (imaginary or otherwise). The drive up was tinged with sadness - my aunt had caught a spin up with us last year. A veteran of 20+ marathons, most of them Dublin, she became ill during the race, somehow finished the thing, but was taken to hospital and eventually died a week later. It was of course incredibly sad at the time, but the memory of that journey up last year is very precious. She regaled us with tales of running New York, Edinburgh, Cologne, Stockholm and other big city marathons. I'd be exaggerating to say I ran this marathon for her - but I did choose Dublin over other options this year because of her, and she was in my thoughts at various points.

We didn't spend much time at the expo. In, got the numbers, quick scan around and then we headed out to the hotel. We had the rugby on in the background but were both asleep straight after the finish. I'd had rubbish sleep all week, with worry about the injury. Got a decent enough sleep this time, at least by pre-marathon day standards. Up at 6 for the breakfast - I was as far from being "in the zone" as anyone could be. I felt none of the excitement of previous marathons. Not entirely sure why, maybe the fear of failure? Would I need to drop out after 10 miles with the leg, or the cold? We hopped on the Luas with a friend who was staying in the hotel. I was in wave 1, so left the other two at the Shelbourne and headed in along. I looked at the watch for the first time and it was 8:15 - cutting it pretty tight for a 8:45 start by the time I've dropped the bag, made my way to the wave and went to the loo. It worked out ideal in the end. Minimal hanging around. I still wasn't really feeling that marathon buzz though.

Miles 1-2 (7:43, 7:55)

My goal coming into this block had been to get under 3:30, and despite the injury and physio advice I didn't want to entirely write off that target. I'd planned to run a negative split anyway, so just decided to take the first half a touch handier than originally planned and if the legs were ok in the second half maybe I could still sneak the 3:30. I left all of wave 1 off and ambled up towards the start line, taking my first gel as I went. I dawdled as much as possible until the race stewards brought out a red/white tape to hold back any stragglers. Ducked around that and set off in loads of room, almost seven minutes after the wave had started. I still had my bin bag on me at this stage as it was drizzling - eventually jettisioned that after a mile or so. I'd another t-shirt over my race t-shirt and got rid of that shortly after. I was worried that the whole wave would shoot ahead and I'd be left in no mans land, but I was surrounded by people the entire time, although never held up. Strava had me running 26.25 miles so I definitely ran a good racing line. A touch hot for these two miles, but happily the injured leg felt fine.

Miles 3-7 (8:39, 8:09, 8:22, 8:21, 8:35)

Once I crossed the Liffey I knew it was time to rein things in for a while. My initial target for these miles had been 8:15, but with the revised plan to take it handier I didn't really have a goal pace, just slower than 8:15 and to keep things under control. I passed two friends up halfway up Chesterfield who later remarked that I didn't look entirely at ease at that stage - I didn't feel it either. Not that I was under savage pressure or anything - it just felt a touch harder than I'd have liked for the relatively sedate pace. I couldn't figure out if it was humid, if it was the cold from the day before, or if I was fine and I was imagining that I was under pressure. I took my second gel at mile 5. Castleknock was class and going through there gave me goosebumps and now I felt like I was running a marathon.

Miles 8-10 (7:43, 7:54, 7:39)

I tried to take advantage of this section, gain some time back and keep 3:30 in play. I actually felt really good along here. My two friends had crossed the park and handed off a couple of gels to me near the Chapelizod gate. I took one and pocketed another. My right ankle/achilles had been giving out since the start. I kept trying to ignore it. Thankfully the left leg never became an issue.

Miles 11-17 (8:22, 7:56, 8:05, 8:16, 8:05, 8:12, 8:07)

The plan for here had been to hover around the 8:00 mark, but I could never quite hit that. I passed my aunt on her balcony in Kilmainham, then Des Bishop was out supporting on a corner, possibly at Dolphin's Barn, I'm not sure. I just didn't feel great throughout any of this stretch - again not terrible, but just a sense that I was working slightly too hard and I couldn't shake this feeling of impending doom. The sun made an appearance at one stage, but thankfully disappeared soon after I told it to "fcuk off". The first two young lads manning the water station at Crumlin were a highlight for me - these lads were firing out bottles at a rapid rate and clocking everyones name to give them a personalised shout out. The volunteers behind them on the table weren't left with much to do! I took another gel at 13 miles, my fourth of the day. A couple of stretches along here had a small, but not insignificant headwind. The right achilles was really giving out now, so I took an emergency nurofen that I'd brought in case the other leg acted up.

Miles 18-22 (7:57, 7:56, 7:56, 8:11, 8:19)

Once I turned onto Templeogue Road I started scanning for @py, who had kindly offered to hold a couple of gels for me. Luckily he's easily spotted in a crowd and I grabbed the gels and continued on. Took my first caffeine gel of the day at this point and the next few miles were my favourite of the race. I picked up the pace a touch as I headed towards Terenure. An American ahead of me was treated to the start of The Star-Spangled Banner by a group of supporters. Going through Terenure was my favourite section of the entire race - the support here was electric, I was motoring nicely and I had a big smile on my face. I had tried to remember to smile during the race, and I did when I felt good, but never remembered to try smiling when the going was tough. I know the ground was extremely wet now, but I don't recall any specifics of it raining. It didn't bother me at all. I looked down at my bib at one stage to see that the blue highlighter I'd used to colour in my name was all washed away. Luckily, I'd used permanent marker for the outline of each letter, and that was still intact. I gave a shout out to @ReeReeG at the bottom of the hill in Milltown. It really did help knowing where one or two people were throughout the course - just something to distract you for a mile or two I found. Once I had got through Milltown I started to become mentally stronger and started to think that I wouldn't blow-up. I knuckled down then and made my way up through Clonskeagh. The legs were heavy at this stage, but still moving at an acceptable pace. I took half a regular gel at mile 21, then a second caffeine gel once I got onto Fosters Avenue. I find the caffeine hits me quickly, so wanted the hit for the final few miles.

Miles 23-Finish (7:45, 7:44, 7:52, 7:49 and 8:15 for the bit)

I figured I needed to hit 7:30 and under all the way home to get my 3:30. I gave it everything I had but I just couldn't get the pace under 7:45 fpr any sustained period. Even heading into the last mile I hadn't let go of hope (my mental maths were a bit off at that stage). Up along Merrion Road and through Ballsbridge just felt never ending. I kept trying to lift the pace, grimacing and forcing my legs to move, but they were already giving me everything they had. I belatedly realised the 3:30 was gone in the final few hundred metres and couldn't muster a sprint finish. I was too exhausted at the finish to have any disappointment - genuinely I was just thrilled to be finished, and to have held it together throughout.

I collected my medal and it began to really pour down with rain. A volunteer at the bag drop gave me a poncho, which was most welcome. A friend had organised for me to have a shower in their workplace just off Baggot Street - this was bliss. Fully warmed and dry I made my way to McGrattans and bumped into plenty of Boardsie's, friends and runners from home, and other randomers. My wife ran a PB too, so everyone had a really enjoyable afternoon and evening to round off a great day.

It was a long four years waiting to get back to the marathon. There was times when I thought I'd never be able to do another one, so to tick off number three is just so satisfying. I often find that the highs of the good days are never as big as the lows of the bad days, but on this occasion, and even more so after writing this report, I'm just super content with myself. I was reading back through my log from 4 years ago, and I really loved marathon training back then - the same was true this time around. I just loved the plan, the long runs, the big weeks, the progress, the sense of achievement. I thought at one stage that it was the training I loved, more than the racing, but then when the race was in jeopardy I realised how much I wanted that too.

I'd like to think that the lack of running in the final 10 days, and just the will I/won't I stress of it all, might have cost me those 98 seconds and the 3:29:xx. But, I'm not looking for or making excuses - I'm happy out. I'm a marathoner, again 😊

Post edited by Mr. Guappa on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

That's a great read there A and it contains so much I can relate to. The lack of buzz beforehand, the impending doom, the enjoyment of a marathon training block and the feeling that it brings more pleasure than the race itself. Most of all however, I am so delighted that you shared some other feelings namely huge contentment and that massive relief to be able to say you're a marathoner again. Enjoy the afterglow. Huge congratulations to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭py

Great report A and congratulations to both of you on the PBs. Your aunt would be incredibly proud. I was delighted to help you out after the invaluable mentoring you provided to the novices in 2019. If you are going again next year, that offer will likely be there again but I will confirm closer to the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

You have every right to be happy again, great performance..You really deserved a break, I was wincing fo you when I heard about that recent injury! Glad you were able to shake it off in time.. Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Top class report A, really enjoyed reading that. Can't imagine the emotional rollercoaster you had in the lead up to last weekend but was delighted you could toe the line and deliver on that savage block of training. If ever a performance was deserved yours was it.

I actually spotted you walking by that park on the way to RDS on Saturday while I was frantically looking for a parking spot and thought to myself you looked like a man on a mission!!

• Advertisement

What a brilliant read A, when I read you had an injury before the marathon I felt so bad for you, if anyone deserved this marathon comeback after all their patience & discipline it was you! So happy to see you went out & got so close to your target despite all this, you should be very proud indeed 🤗

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Thanks for all the nice comments folks... I'm definitely still basking in the afterglow. I haven't gone for a run since, and it'll be a few days yet, maybe more before I do. The legs recovered well as last week went on, but the pre-marathon leg injury made some noise over the weekend. Nothing too major, but I'm going to give it time to clear completely - the physio had warned I'd probably need extra recovery post marathon with it.

I had hoped to hit 2,000 miles this year, and likely would have without this niggle, but no point pushing it too much at this time of year. Hopefully I'll get out for one more race before years end.. I've hit PB's at 5K (x2), 10K, 10M, HM (x2) and marathon so far in 2023 and it would be nice to add another to the list. Lots of local options over the Christmas period so I should find something that suits, possibly the Grange/Fermoy 10K on New Years Eve.

Plans are beginning to fall into place for 2024. I've booked the Adare 10k in February, and the Amsterdam Marathon next October. My thought at the moment is a 5k block to start off the year, leading to the BK5K in Dundrum in early May, and then back to marathon training after that. I spent most of the last few years doing Base/10M/HM blocks, so feel it's time to change it up a touch for a few months. But.... I could yet pivot and train for the Limerick HM instead - I really enjoyed that race last year (bar the last few miles).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

I really enjoyed that report A, super result especially given everything in the last 10 days. You've had a brilliant year and very much deserved too - you're about as consistent and patient as they come, great to see it paying off. Recover well.

We all know you have patience A so I do think you will take the rest you need now to get yourself in the best possible position going forward. What a year you have had in spite of your injury! You should look back at it with a lot of pride. Delighted to see you have booked Amsterdam; I genuinely can't speak highly enough of it. What a great marathon; you will love it.😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

that is some list of PB's- What a year! Amsterdam could be something that tempts me too with all the glowing recent reports of it!

Advertisement