Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are those my feet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Much like my previous update, this was another low mileage fortnight.

2nd March - 8th March
    Monday: 3.1 miles @ 10:02
    Tuesday: Rest
    Wednesday: 3.01 miles easy @9:59
    Thursday: Swimming
    Friday: 3.01 miles easy @9:59
    Saturday: Rest
    Sunday: 3.14 miles easy @10:01

9th March - 15th March
    Monday: Rest
    Tuesday: 3.03 miles easy @10:00
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: 3.01 miles easy @10:01. Swimmimg cancelled.
    Friday: Physio
    Saturday: 3.1 miles easy @10:00
    Sunday: Rest

On the swimming front - last week I started a second batch of eight lessons, and got moved up to the deep end group. Definitely tougher going and much more of a workout up there. Then this weeks, and the next few weeks, were cancelled due to the corona virus. I had been intending on adding a home workout back into the routine at some stage, so that's something I'll look to do next week to compensate for the lack of swimming.

As for the injury. I was really happy with the progress, and in the middle of last week I was very confident that I'd be building things back up a bit by now, but the recovery has plateau'd over the last week-to-10 days. Had a physio appointment on Friday and she got a bit more aggressive with my treatment. She used a shockwave machine on the ankle area - a little mini-jackhammer is how I can best describe it. The sole of my foot is currently strapped up to support my arch for 3-4 days, and I've been told to ice the area after a run, if I can. A couple more stretches have been prescribed, as well as rolling a ball underfoot. Running remains limited to 5k every second day, and I've a revisit booked for two weeks time.

It's hard to be too downhearted about the injury given the situation going on all around us at the moment - although it is a pity to see the rug pulled from under the likes of Dealerz, coogy, Treviso and applegirl who had great training blocks put in for upcoming races. Still though, the importance of any given race pales in signficance compared to the bigger pciture.

Copy, paste

16th March - 22nd March
    Monday: 3.04 miles @ 10:01
    Tuesday: Rest
    Wednesday: 3.1 miles easy @10:00
    Thursday: Rest
    Friday: 3.02 miles easy @10:00
    Saturday: Rest
    Sunday: 3.05 miles easy @9:58

23rd March - 29th March
    Monday: Rest
    Tuesday: 3.1 miles easy @10:00
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: 3.06 miles easy @10:02
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: 3.05 miles easy @10:01
    Sunday: Rest

Now I'm getting frustrated. The injury is just not clearing up sufficiently that I'm happy with it. In the middle of last week I was very optimistic that it was nearly there, but then on Saturday's run the ankle didn't feel great at all. It can be fine for the majority of a run, but there's still something lingering. I did another 3 miles today, but I'm going to take the rest of this week off to see if extra rest helps - might try a run at the weekend. Physio closed for the forseeable due to covid-19.

On the plus side, I did 3 miles every second day in March, so my strava graph for the month is nice and symmetrical. I also managed to keep each of those runs at 10 mins/mile, +/-2 seconds - the patheticness of this "achievement" is not lost on me :)

I've been working from home for the past couple of weeks, which has been good, although pretty tiring tyring to juggle child-minding and work! I look forward to each run, but lately I've just been coming back frustrated that the injury is not shifting, so hopefully an extra rest will do some good. I'd love to sign up for the Boards 5k TT, but I'll hold tough as there's no point getting invested in it if I'll be in no condition to put forth a hard effort - not that I'd be troubling the front-runners anyway :)

Anyway, apologies for the downbeat post - I do realise that there are bigger problems in the world right now than my running woes, but still I felt it was worth logging my current feelings as it can't always be sunshine and PB's. This is my first real setback since I've been running, so hopefully I'll look back on this period later in the year and appreciate what it means to be able to log 40+ mile weeks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

No need to apologise A, the honest posts both good & bad are what keep people reading! I'm sure you must be feeling so frustrated right now & i honestly don't have any answers for you but i do think you have a good mindset ;)
    Take the time to rest & fingers crossed you will be back out doing what you love!

Take care :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

I can feel your frustration here. I also agree with E, no need to apologise and important to log your current thoughts. Everything is relative. It will make all the more sweeter reading back when your crushing PB's again.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Sorry to hear the injury hasn't cleared up yet A. Hopefully it's just a case of a healed muscle getting used to regular running again. You're doing the right thing in keeping the mileage low and getting plenty of rest.

Not sure if it's the best or worst time to be injured. Best in that you don't need to do repeated loops 2km of your house or worst because you don't get to leave the house for that much needed headspace. On a positive note, at least you're keeping the government's directive of keeping your runs brief :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

Hey Mr G, sorry to hear your ankle is still causing you issues. Unsure of your current work situation, whether you're still on the move or stuck at home. If it's the latter, start icing (bag of peas is what I use) every chance you get. I go for 20 mins on/off with a tea towel wrapped around the bag of peas. It's helped immensely with recovery for me and something I've used through the last couple of injuries I've had (ankle and calf). Get well soon.

Not a whole pile to log over the past 20 or so days, but sure for the sake of completeness if nothing else: :)

Monday 30/03 - 3.06 miles @10:01
    Sunday 05/04 - 3.02 miles @9:52
    Wednesday 08/04 - 3.09 miles @10:02
    Sunday 12/04 - 4.01 miles @10:02
    Wednesday 15/04 - 2.22 miles@9:42
    Thursday 16/04 - 2.03 miles@9:57

I've tried taking extra rest days as opposed to the every-second-day approach I'd been on before this (man, how I envy those of you on run streaks!). I'd say the injury is getting better, but it's slow progress - I still feel something, I think. On Easter Sunday, I tried going above 3 miles for the first time in 8 weeks - my calves killed me for 3 days afterwards :eek:!

Usually, the ankle will be fine for the first 2-2.5 miles of a run, before I'll start to feel it - it's as if it gets tired after that. So, I've decided to cap the runs at 2 miles for a bit - this week was the first time running on back-to-back days for aaages. I may be better served with taking a couple of weeks off entirely, but jeez, I think I'd crack up completely without the occassional few miles! And, still I'm half tempted to ramp the mileage up a bit and see what happens.

Treviso asked whether this was a good time to be injured, or not. Definitely not in my opinion, although to be fair, there is never a good time to be injured. I feel like I'm missing out on a huge oppurtunity for building a massive base, and going backwards rapidly at the same time. It's been 8 or 9 weeks of basically nothing. Aside from that, I miss long runs so much!

I'm still tipping away with the prescribed exercises, and thanks to py for mentioning icing, as the physio had said to ice after a run, but I'd forgotten that bit.

I feel like I should at least be getting in some supplementary stuff (yoga, or whatever) while I'm spending less time running, so at least I could say I've improved somewhere during this period, but it's hard to find the motivation for supplementary stuff when the main thing is going backwards. Might try something tonight, or not :pac:

TL;DR - meh, ugh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Ugh, I really feel for you A, it's really lousy that this is dragging on so long. Fingers crossed it turns a corner for you soon. Oh and I get not having the motivation for supplementary stuff, but if you can at all it's probably worth starting something - once you do you might get into it, and you might help the recovery along too.

eyrie wrote: »
    Ugh, I really feel for you A, it's really lousy that this is dragging on so long. Fingers crossed it turns a corner for you soon. Oh and I get not having the motivation for supplementary stuff, but if you can at all it's probably worth starting something - once you do you might get into it, and you might help the recovery along too.

Cheers C! Great to see you back posting regularly too!

I did a yoga workout anyway this morning - lots of regression as expected seeing as it was DCM training since I'd done one, and even back then they were only sporadic. Hopeful that it can become a habit this time!

Three weeks since my last update. Took 10 or so days off from running, and started doing a bit of yoga. I've kept at they yoga, and improved considerably at some of the poses since the first session. Nice to see some progress somewhere.

After the 10 day break, I resumed running with 3 miles every second or third day. As before, the injury feels like it's 95% better, but it's just not fully clearing. Can't believe it's been almost 3 months of this. Looking back on my strava comments I've felt like it's been on the cusp of being 100% for about 2 months now, but it's just not getting there. A frustrated google of posterior tibial injuries last night scared the sh!t out of me, so I rang the physio this morning. They are partially re-opening in a couple of weeks, so I've booked an appointment. In the meantime, no running for 7 days, lots of foam rolling and stretching of the calves, golf ball under the foot, icing. I'm to try a couple of short runs prior to the appointment to see how they feel. Depending on what the physio thinks when I'm there, I might be referred for an MRI :(.

I signed up for the 1 mile TT in some idiotic moment of hope - I'll have to withdraw from that anyway. I'll keep at the yoga, but I might cherry pick the bits I do because I felt some were putting pressure on the ankle. Might add in some S&C stuff that doesn't affect the ankle. I think I'll buy an exercise bike too. It's funny, I've felt genuinely, perhaps naively, optimistic about this injury all the way through, except the days I decide to update my log :pac:

• Advertisement

So, physio visit last week and I've been referred for an MRI to check if there's a stress fracture of the metatarsal or one of the other small bones in the foot. It shouldn't be too long of a wait I'm told. The physio reckons that if there is a stress fracture, then 4-6 weeks of no running should heal it, so I haven't ran since last Tuesday. She also advised that I've been overcompensating for the sore foot and I've been prescribed bridges and clams to strengthen the hips and glutes. The calves are in fine shape though, following all the work I've been doing on those over recent weeks.

It's good to have some direction again (even if it sucks), and at least a notion that a fix is on the horizon, maybe. I had been kind of aimlessly moving from one week to the next with no progress for a while, so it's good to have a plan again. I would have got to this stage at least 6 weeks ago if not for covid, but sure, it is what it is. It's definitely annoying to be missing out on training during the summer months having put in lots of wet, windy and dark miles over the winter, but I'm trying to look forward and not think too much about what could have been.

I did buy an exercise bike. Based on extensive research (2 minutes checking boards), I went for a recumbent one and it's grand. I had to assemble it myself, and was delighted that I'd only two washers left over at the end :). I've tipped away on that every second day over the last week for 30-50 minutes at what feels like walking effort. Might try a more "easy" effort as the legs get used to it.

Best of luck to everyone in the TT at the weekend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I can only imagine how frustrating it's all been for you, especially given how long it's dragged on. I really hope you get some answers from the MRI, and can work from there. Fair play on hitting the bike (and assembling it :p)

Fair play A, you seem very level-headed about it all! Hope the MRI makes things clear and then it can be dealt with. Hope you don't have to wait too long for it.

So, I went for an MRI on the bothersome foot last week and received the results yesterday. The news is positive.

There is no stress fracture, but I do have "mild tenosynovitis of FHL at the knot of Henry" - no need to explain that one obviously :pac:. Basically it's an irritation of the tendon around the arch of my foot, I think. It's apparently an injury more common to dancers - serves me right for trying ballet as cross-training ;).

Anyway, I've spoken to the physio and she says this is good news. Not ideal, obviously, but not terminal to my running "career" either. It's something that I'll have to manage for the next few months - it might take another 3-4 months to clear completely. But, I can do some running in the meantime - to a max of 10k at a time. I'll have to tape the foot before each run, and ice after, as well as plenty strengthening exercises.

I've only spoken to the physio over the phone, so will get further clarity on the frequency of running and how we are going to treat the injury when I've my next appointment, which is next week. In the meantime, I can dust off the running shoes and hit the roads :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Yay delighted to hear this... well not the knot of Henry part but the rest, sounds quite positive! Enjoy dusting off the runners A, you've been very patient, I hope the road ahead will be kind to you.

ariana` wrote: »
    Yay delighted to hear this... well not the knot of Henry part but the rest, sounds quite positive! Enjoy dusting off the runners A, you've been very patient, I hope the road ahead will be kind to you.

Thanks E! Still a long way until I'm 100% but hopefully things are finally moving in the right direction, and it's a relief to know I'm fixable! Felt great to get out for a couple of miles this evening.

11.3 miles this week - my highest weekly total since March :eek:

Had a physio appointment during the week. I've been doing leg bridges and clams daily for the last month or more, and the physio was happy that my strength in the hip area is noticeably improved. Planks have now been added to the routine to improve my core strength.

The foot injury is still there of course. As instructed, I've been strapping it with kinesio tape for every run and this has really helped - the foot feels much more stable and supported on each run. Amazing what a little bit of tape in the right place can do. I'll need to keep taping it until I'm well on the far side of this injury, which will be a good while yet.

Running wise - I won't be doing anything too exciting for many more months. I can run 4 times per week, very gradually bringing two of those runs up to 10km. So, even a 20 mile week is a long ways off. Come September I might be able to venture further than 10km. My current plan is very simply to add a mile a week each week for the next two months, monitoring the foot all the way. At least I won't be starting from scratch when the time comes that I'm injury-free and ready to start properly building again.

I can do as much exercise biking as I want - an hour 2-3 times a week seems to work for me at the moment. Hopefully the swimming lessons might resume in the next couple of months too. Improving my cross-training looks like the only running-related goal that I will achieve this year anyway :)

The hardest thing with the injury is trying to accept it, and not focusing on where I was pre-injury, or where I could be by now. It will take a lot of time and hard work to get back to where I was in February, but hopefully I'll be a stronger runner once I do get there. June will be the first month this year in which I've ran more miles than the preceding month - I'll be happy if I can keep that upward curve going for the rest of the year.

I'll probably keep to monthly log updates for the next while. I won't be doing enough to warrant weekly updates. For now I'm just happy that I can get out 4 times a week and can look forwards with cautious optimism. Thanks for reading, and Happy Fathers Day to my fellow running dads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

Keep up the cycling, we'll make sure you get an entry to the Great Dublin Bike Ride or the Wicklow 200 in 2021! :pac:

py wrote: »
    Keep up the cycling, we'll make sure you get an entry to the Great Dublin Bike Ride or the Wicklow 200 in 2021! :pac:

Oh god, hopefully things don't get that bad :)

There's a big difference between tipping away on the exercise bike in the confines of my own house while watching Pure Mule or the Merseyside derby, and heading out on two wheels on actual roads. Maybe I'd get into it if I gave it a whirl, but I've no inclination to do so at the minute! To be fair I don't mind the exercise bike at all, and it's something that I'd happily use as cross-training in the future.

• Advertisement

A 3 mile run today rounds off my running for July, so I may as well update the ol' log. It's been a positive month on the running front. The foot injury is progressing and has improved a good deal over recent weeks. I had another physio visit two weeks ago and she was very happy with how it's progressing. Crab walks were added to planks, bridges and clams in my (almost) daily strengthening regime.

I've built the weekly mileage up very gradually to where I am now at a whopping 17 miles per week. It's slow progress, but I'll happily take it. To be honest, I don't think the foot can handle much more anyway. I found it was a bit sorer after longer runs (6 miles) so I decided this week to try keep the runs shorter and instead add a fifth day to maintain the mileage. I will see how that goes, although it did mean that this week saw my first 3-day running streak in forever! Rest day tomorrow :)! On a related note, the amount of time spent deciding whether I'll run 3 miles Tuesday and 4 miles Wednesday, or vice versa, is quite embarrassing. Or at least should be :pac:

I haven't been paying much attention to pace on any of the runs - effort generally feels in the easy to moderate range. Crazy how 6 miles can be such a slog when not long ago it would have been a gentle recovery trot :eek:. The fitness will come back though - the 3 mile runs are feeling much easier than they were a few weeks ago.

Use of the exercise bike has dropped off a cliff. The last two times I used it I had a bit of knee pain after which took a day or two to shift - the physio put it down to a tight quad. I just fell out of the habit then but I must try and get back at it soon - maybe tomorrow! The odd niggle has popped up here and there over the past few weeks - a very tender hamstring was a worry for a day or two but soon abated. I'm putting these niggles down to the boday getting used to regular running again.

Now that things are trending in the right direction, I'll update the mileage table:
    Month|2016|2017|2018|2019|2020
    January|21|5|51|131|178
    February|19||51|119|91
    March|27||62|112|46
    April|3||55|142|20
    May|1|18|74|120|19
    June|2|38|96|135|35
    July||33|129|175|72
    August||49|137|184
    September|1|25|179|211
    October|4|42|131|162
    November|6|40|34|70
    December||51|84|153
    Total (mi)|83|301|1083|1714|461

Hopefully I'll reach 1,000 miles for the year, but it's not a target I'm going to chase. If all goes well then I might just sneak 100 miles in August, but I won't be afraid to take a step back if required.

Nice to see your progress. You have showed great patience.

Nice to see your progress. You have showed great patience.

Cheers D. Yeah, the patience has been tested for sure... I'm glad I didn't know at the outset how long it would take for things to begin to come right. What I've really missed is the routine of running most days and also long runs... god, how I've missed long runs!!! 2+ hours out on the roads - bliss :). Still, there's bigger problems in the world! It has been great to be able to get some regularity back into the running routine of late, and as the distances have crept up it's been nice to rediscover roads I've not seen in a while. I do try to focus on the positive and "enjoy" the process of recovery, as frustrating as it is!

A busy six weeks since my last update. In headline news - I got married two weeks ago! It was a fun few months trying to plan the day around ever-changing guidelines :rolleyes:, but it all came together really well in the end and we had a truly great day :).

Back to the running - I didn't quite manage the targeted 100 miles for August (91), but that's possibly not a bad thing. Progress on the foot had stagnated a bit, but over the past fortnight I've reduced the mileage a touch (due to the wedding) and the foot seems to be improving again. I may have been pushing things a fraction too much - I think it's just not ready yet for too many 5 and 6 mile runs in a week. I'll keep tipping away with the 3 and 4 mile runs for the rest of this month and review then. The strengthening exercises also took a nosedive over the past fortnight so I'm just getting stuck back into those again this week. Hopefully it's nearly cleared up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Many Congrats A!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Congratulations A, great news!

Plenty of time to build up the fitness again while you get used to married life :D

• Advertisement

Congrats A

Aww congratulations A :D

Ah congrats on the nuptials A, wonderful news!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭yido1882

Big congrats A, that's great news!

*** Blows the cobwebs off ***

Six months since my last update - this log took a bit of finding!

To catch up - around the end of November I developed another injury to go along with my long-term foot injury. This second injury turned out to be a prepatellar bursitis - basically a pocket of fluid on the front of the knee. I don't exaggerate when I say this thing was massive. It took over six weeks before eventually disappearing of it's own accord. But, such was the size of the thing I was advised not to run, and also sent for an x-ray (all-clear) and then an MRI. The MRI revealed what looked like a meniscus tear, but a subsequent visit to a consultant advised that the knee was fine, apart from the normal wear and tear you'd expect, especially in a runner. Between the bursitis first surfacing and the subsequent waiting on appointments etc, it was almost exactly three months of no running (or any activity tbh), but mercifullly I was finally given the green light to resume running in late February.

Meanwhile, my original foot injury (tenosynovitis of the FHL at the knot of Henry, for those struggling to keep track :)) was no better, despite three months rest. This injury is on the opposite leg to the knee bursitis, btw. So anyway, with it being 12 months at this stage since the foot injury first surfaced, the physio advised orthotics. Basically, the arch on my right foot is very flat, and when I land the tendons in my foot are not happy, and causing the pain. I've done the world of bridges, planks, clams, crabs etc over the past year to try and get stronger and alleviate the impact on the tendons, and while I can see improvements, it's not been enough to clear the injury, so orthotics were the next step.

I've had the orthotics for almost a month now, and they are going pretty well. Started off with walking and then trying them on a short run here and there. Felt very, very weird at first, but gradually I've gotten used to them. Still not happy to run more than 3-4 miles in them as I can feel a blister wanting to form, so anything longer than that I have not used them yet, but I am using them more frequently in my runs and wearing them for the majority of the day when I'm not running.

At this stage I would run in wellies if I thought it would help. Hopefully these do the trick anyway. So far I'm very happy with them, aside from the blisters. I've always felt ploddy and laboured in my running style, but with these I feel much more smoother - could be just confirmation bias of course. Most importantly the foot injury feels a great deal better - still an occassional peep out of it, but it's a lot better over the past month.

Aside from running, I've started doing a bit of walking. It started as a way to break in the orthotics, but I've found I enjoy it. Not that I'm doing loads or anything - usually just 20-30 minutes on my non-running days. I find it great to clear the head, either before work or at lunch. I managed to rack up 27.9 walking miles in March - not that impressive on the face of it, but every little helps. I've also done the odd spin on the exercise bike, but I struggle with the motivation there. The main draw is that I've started re-watching The Soprano's while on the bike. Currently halfway through the first season - what a show.

Running wise I managed to rack up 49.8 miles in March, mainly 3 or so miles every second day. I'll continue to take it handy in April as and I hopefully get fully comfortable with the orthotics I will start doing consecutive days and slightly longer runs. After 3 months off my fitness was in my boots the first few runs back, but even the few miles I've done in March made a bit of a difference - I no longer get a stitch after a mile-and-a-half! Hopefully this won't be a false dawn and the progress will continue from here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Sorbet

Delighted to see you are on the mend. For what it's worth; when I got Othotics (due to flat feet that I never knew about) I developed serious blisters on the arches of both feet. Felt a bit down about it as it felt like I'd never get back to running and thought the "solution" wasn't going to work. It totally worked and the arches just toughened up a bit. I only use the orthotics when running but it would feel really weird to run without them. You'll get used to them. Best of luck.

Great to see you back A :)

Great stuff, super to see the comeback. You have some incredible patience!
    We re-watched the Sopranos last year - just as brilliant second time around.

Sorbet wrote: »
    Delighted to see you are on the mend. For what it's worth; when I got Othotics (due to flat feet that I never knew about) I developed serious blisters on the arches of both feet. Felt a bit down about it as it felt like I'd never get back to running and thought the "solution" wasn't going to work. It totally worked and the arches just toughened up a bit. I only use the orthotics when running but it would feel really weird to run without them. You'll get used to them. Best of luck.

Thanks for that feedback, it was reassuring to hear of some positive orthotic experiences from yourself and others on strava. The physio did warn me to expect blisters, and it is taking longer and longer into a run for me to feel one, so I'm sure they will become a non-factor in time.

Great to see you back A :)
    Thanks E. It's good to be pointed in the right direction, finally :)

eyrie wrote: »
    Great stuff, super to see the comeback. You have some incredible patience!
    We re-watched the Sopranos last year - just as brilliant second time around.
    Cheers C, yeah I'm really enjoying The Sopranos. I would have watched it all through the first time round, but only dipped into an odd episode here and there since, so it's great re-starting from the beginning. The Wire would be my all-time favourite TV show, but we will see if that changes after this.

You've really had rotten luck, especially when you consider what a sensible runner you always were/are!
    Fingers crossed this is the final road back to where you were before now. You've shown wonderful patience.
    I've often found walking just as good for the head as running really, plus it's easier to people watch at the slower pace :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

Cheers C, yeah I'm really enjoying The Sopranos. I would have watched it all through the first time round, but only dipped into an odd episode here and there since, so it's great re-starting from the beginning. The Wire would be my all-time favourite TV show, but we will see if that changes after this.

Delighted to see this log reactivated and the running back up on Strava too.

I highly recommend the "Talking Sopranos" podcasts, if you haven't found them already, with Michael Imperioli and Steve Schirripa Steve Schirripa and Michael Imperioli :) with regular cast and crew interviews. We have tickets for "In Conversation With The Sopranos", featuring the aforementioned and Vinny Pastore....if that ever takes place !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Brilliant that you are getting out regularly again and, to quote a much overused phrase the last few days, on a careful path back to normality. I hope the progress continues :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Welcome back A! You have the patience of a saint and I hope to see ya reap the rewards of that this year.

I rewatched Sopranos last year. Such a quality show, I'd find it hard to split it and The Wire too! The only series I've watched in last couple of years that I'd put up near those 2 is The Leftovers if ya get a chance to watch it.

ReeReeG wrote: »
    You've really had rotten luck, especially when you consider what a sensible runner you always were/are!
    Fingers crossed this is the final road back to where you were before now. You've shown wonderful patience.
    I've often found walking just as good for the head as running really, plus it's easier to people watch at the slower pace :p

Thanks V, my patience has been tested, trust me! Not much scope for people watching on the country roads where I've been doing most of my walking, but I find myself observing way more than I would when running - nice gardens, birds chirping, stuff in fields, etc. When I'm running I just think about running mainly, and take in very little of my surroundings.

Delighted to see this log reactivated and the running back up on Strava too.

I highly recommend the "Talking Sopranos" podcasts, if you haven't found them already, with Michael Imperioli and Steve Schirripa Steve Schirripa and Michael Imperioli :) with regular cast and crew interviews. We have tickets for "In Conversation With The Sopranos", featuring the aforementioned and Vinny Pastore....if that ever takes place !

Cheers J. I've never really been much into podcasts tbh. If Spurs are going well I might listen to something Spurs-related, so I haven't listened to any this year :(

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Brilliant that you are getting out regularly again and, to quote a much overused phrase the last few days, on a careful path back to normality. I hope the progress continues :)

Thanks S. That's a pretty apt comparison! Yeah, for now I'm just enjoying being able to get out regularly and getting used to running being a thing I do again. I missed it.

Welcome back A! You have the patience of a saint and I hope to see ya reap the rewards of that this year.

I rewatched Sopranos last year. Such a quality show, I'd find it hard to split it and The Wire too! The only series I've watched in last couple of years that I'd put up near those 2 is The Leftovers if ya get a chance to watch it.

Cheers J. That's high praise indeed for The Leftovers. I've not seen it but it's definitely going on the list if you're putting it in such lofty company!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Great to see you back running A. I use a custom insole orthotic on my left foot due to mortons syndrome (not neuroma). Gotten to the stage now where I don't even realise I have it on. Don't even need it for certain shoes - those with a lot of cushioning.

• Advertisement

Treviso wrote: »
    Great to see you back running A. I use a custom insole orthotic on my left foot due to mortons syndrome (not neuroma). Gotten to the stage now where I don't even realise I have it on. Don't even need it for certain shoes - those with a lot of cushioning.

Cheers T. Yeah, I recalled you mentioning that before actually - great to hear it's worked for you. I'm not fully up to date on what everyone around here is up to, but your progress over the last while certainly stands out. Great stuff altogether T - you're flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Great to see you back out running again, stick with the patient approach and you'll continue to progress. At least you haven't missed any races!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Sopranos surely trumps The Wire?

Great to see you back running and the log revived. Glad the meniscus turned out to be plain-old wear and tear, too.

tbukela wrote: »
    Great to see you back out running again, stick with the patient approach and you'll continue to progress. At least you haven't missed any races!
    Thanks T. Yeah, I'll keep any mileage increases gradual for now. Had to reign myself in a bit this week - was eager to do a bit more but I'll try and keep a lid on things for a few more weeks. At least there is no temptation to rush things for the sake of some race. I hope your own niggles/injuries are clearing up?
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    Sopranos surely trumps The Wire?

Great to see you back running and the log revived. Glad the meniscus turned out to be plain-old wear and tear, too.
    The Wire has always been #1 for me E - I've watched it through many times and know it inside and out at this stage. I just wouldn't have the same familiarity with The Sopranos, yet...

Yeah, for a while there I was worried that my body was a wreck not suited to running, so I was mightily relieved when I was told that the knee was fine!

Delire to see some activity here again A, and even more so to see you active on Strava. Fingers crossed you get a good run at it now :)

Short and sweet update this month.

April was a good month, with 85 miles ran, and progress made to 5 days per week. Most importantly, the troublesome foot continues to behave itself. There has been the odd twinge with it now and then, but I've found that if I wear the orthotics near constantly then it's fine. There has been a few other niggles (knee, calf) as the body gets used to running again, but nothing major. The blistering issues I was experiencing with the orthotics have eased a good bit too - not quite 100% yet, but getting there.

I'm really enjoying the running at the moment - looking forward to each run and seeing some progress. I've not been paying too much attention to pace - most runs have ended up at what feels like a moderate/steady effort. As the mileage increases I'll start paying more attention there.

For May it will be more of the same - 5 runs a week, gradually increasing the mileage. I might add a few strides here and there towards the end of the month, and all going well I should top 100 miles for May. Slow, steady progress. And DPD are dropping off a pair of Novablast's this afternoon - looking forward to trying those out.

Let us know what you think of the Novablasts, I'm on my 2nd pair, really like them but they have varied reviews from others on here...

Good to see you enjoying your running again :)

May was another positive month, with last night's run taking me over the 100 mile mark for the first month since January of last year. A bit of a dose kept me out of action for a few days last week, but other than that it was a very solid month. The highlight was a 9 mile long run the weekend before last - this was just a lovely run which felt smooth and comfortable and hinted at fitness returning.

Bar one set of strides, everything was easy pace in May, so for June I plan to add a little more work (strides, an endurance run or two, that 50 min mix grads plan run). I'll keep the volume at around 30 miles per week across 5 days. I'd hope to kick off a base plan then in July. I've been thinking about a 5k TT towards the end of June but might just leave it altogether. We shall see.

I was very sceptical of the Novablasts at first - they felt unsteady or something. But I've found they are growing on me the more I wear them. They don't offer too much protection from the water though, so I'll keep them for dry days, which have thankfully finally arrived!

The niggles have subsided and the foot continues to play ball for the most part. I'm still super aware of it, and it complains now and then, but nothing too bad. The physio has added some single leg balancing exercises to my regime. I have noticed my cadence is almost 10 points higher compared to similar paced runs pre-injury. Not sure if it's the shoes, the ortothics, more core strength, or just the watch messing me about, but I definitely do feel smoother than before.

Thanks for reading :)

Great update! Delighted your incredible patience has been paying off, must be a relief too.

• Advertisement

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Great update! Delighted your incredible patience has been paying off, must be a relief too.

Thanks V. It's just great to be able to enjoy a run without worrying about the foot. The injury sucked all the enjoyment out of running - I'd spend all day looking forward to a run, only to end up frustrated with myself and the injury by the end of the run. Hard going after a while. Hopefully things remain on track from here.

Glad to see you on the road back too, nice patience on show there too.

Advertisement