Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Ixlandia

cc87 wrote: »
    TRR.L looks like an interesting play to get exposure to commodities.

A mining royalty that IPO'd last June, up 80% since then.
    Expanded considerably since IPO where they had one royalty to eight now, including 60% ownership of Thacker Pass which is the biggest lithium mine in the US.
    Sounds like they plan to get equal exposure across all mining materials, currently with gold, copper, lithium and iron with plans to continue to expand.

Thanks for the tip cc87, considering how the US has decided to very much reduce it's dependence on lithium for EV batteries and other metals from China, I was reading an article 2 weeks ago about the US engagement with Canadian mining companies, all generally small cap and some at the development stage, low share prices too- but the US is even offering grants to these companies to aid development and produce the goods. All geared towards not letting china have one over them.

These companies are:
    Talon metals
    Livent Corp.
    Fortune Minerals
    Nouveau Monde Graphite
    First Cobalt Corp.

These might be worth a punt also, All available on Degiro

Ix

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭gudede

Ixlandia wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip cc87, considering how the US has decided to very much reduce it's dependence on lithium for EV batteries and other metals from China, I was reading an article 2 weeks ago about the US engagement with Canadian mining companies, all generally small cap and some at the development stage, low share prices too- but the US is even offering grants to these companies to aid development and produce the goods. All geared towards not letting china have one over them.

These companies are:
    Talon metals
    Livent Corp.
    Fortune Minerals
    Nouveau Monde Graphite
    First Cobalt Corp.

These might be worth a punt also, All available on Degiro

Ix

Thanks, I spent a couple of hours yesterday looking into ABML (focused on recycling the metals) only to discover its wasn’t listed on Degiro.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

How many individual stocks do you guys own? I've 25 and 5 ETF's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

9 or 10.

50% in two stocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theboringfox

About 35 stocks. No ETFs. Trying to cap no more than 10% in one stock and preferably nothing over 5%. Every month aim to invest thousand or so across few shares. Mainly topping current ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭VonLuck

That's quite a number. What's the minimum amount you would invest into one stock at a time?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,118 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I've 32 stocks, no ETF's, and a minimum of €500 invested in each and no stock over 10%.
    Should really cut it down to 20 or so to make it more easily manageable. Have a few i'd forgotten that I had, and a few duds that i'm sitting on hoping for a spike.

VonLuck wrote: »
    That's quite a number. What's the minimum amount you would invest into one stock at a time?

Generally 200ish mark. As fees higher on European stocks I try to buy min 500. Im probably a bit over invested in dollar stocks because fees so much lower and carrying fx risk. But I was bit manic last year so decided more regular saving bettee.

Most of my savings in cash though. I am still only learning. I would be pretty conservative on what I invest. It is a potfolio I hope makes decent single digit returns. Im not shooting for the moon sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭gudede

Any opinions on the effects “evergreen” boat will have on the markets? Guessing it’ll be more red than green.

You also have the hedge funds block selling. Could be a horrible couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

45% of portfolio split between 4 ETFs
    20% in individual stocks and smaller ETFs (~40 holdings)
    25% in crypto (9 holdings)
    10% cash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

gudede wrote: »
    Any opinions on the effects “evergreen” boat will have on the markets? Guessing it’ll be more red than green.

You also have the hedge funds block selling. Could be a horrible couple of weeks.

Hedge funds blowing up is going to be bigger impact than the stuck boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bish76

Relief therapeutics has shown positive day 60 data of their drug Zyesami for lung failure due to Covid 19. Stocks have been hammered recently but now I expect decent return ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I've over 30 stocks and no ETFs yet. What ETFs are you in? I need to find one or 2.

Leslie91 wrote: »
    I've over 30 stocks and no ETFs yet. What ETFs are you in? I need to fine one or 2.
    I have 3 Vanguards - FTSE All World, S&P 500 and Emerging Markets. They're my biggest holdings. I also have 2 ishares ETF's.

45% of portfolio split between 4 ETFs
    20% in individual stocks and smaller ETFs (~40 holdings)
    25% in crypto (9 holdings)
    10% cash
    I'm roughly the same albeit a smaller position in crypto. My crypto has given me 3 times more returns than my stocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I've steered clear of ETFs due to the disposal rule. Can't be arsed with that.

I'm treating BRK.B as one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭circadian

I'm roughly the same albeit a smaller position in crypto. My crypto has given me 3 times more returns than my stocks.

I've 100 in At&t and 20 in AMD now. I've not been doing anything with the last few weeks.

I have 1.23 BTC from years ago and ive got about 0.8 eth and growing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Spread across 18 stocks now including RSUs from work (which make up about 65% of my portfolio... but all I can do with them is hold or cash out). 25% in the other 17 stocks and 10% in crypto.

I'm adding a fixed amount each month (it's been hard not to be tempted this past 2 weeks to add more). So far mostly been opening up new positions but planning now to start adding to winners. A couple of stocks still on my radar to get in on to round me up to 20 stocks. I'm tempted to cash out some of my RSUs and move that in to my Degiro account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

circadian wrote: »
    I've 100 in At&t and 20 in AMD now. I've not been doing anything with the last few weeks.

I have 1.23 BTC from years ago and ive got about 0.8 eth and growing.

Fair Play for holding the crypto - always the Hardest thing in that game is to hold them.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    I've steered clear of ETFs due to the disposal rule. Can't be arsed with that.

I'm treating BRK.B as one.

Plan on investing more here. Great idea as alternative to ETF. And I am with you on the tax thing. So complex. The cynic in me would suggest the large pensions and investment group lobby to keep this kind of passive personal investing awkward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Anyone with some spare cash lying around, ETWO might be worth a punt with the Suez canal business.
    SaaS company which looks to use AI to optimise supply chains.

De-SPACed last June and trading @ 10.30

• Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭circadian

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Fair Play for holding the crypto - always the Hardest thing in that game is to hold them.

Yeah I mined the BTC back in 2011 or so, sold a lot during the first boom around the end of 2013, I think it went over $1k then but it went towards buying a house, which worked out great considering the insane rental prices.

I'm currently mining ETH just because I can with a good amount of profitability and I'll either hold or trade for BTC, not sure yet.

Largely I hold and don't look at what's going on for the most part, I get serious FOMO so the best thing to do is ignore it and focus on maintaining my own portfolio.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭jams100

Plan on investing more here. Great idea as alternative to ETF. d
    Agree with selecting Berkshire over an ETF and BRK^B bought back $24 billion of their own shares in 2020, which will continue this year (not at the same level, but still...), better than paying dividends for us Irish
    And I am with you on the tax thing. So complex. The cynic in me would suggest the large pensions and investment group lobby to keep this kind of passive personal investing awkwar

But if you set up a lump sum or regular investing account with the likes of Zurich your still paying the same CGT etc.? So how does it benefit them? (Pensions excluded)

My lack of tax knowledge showing up. Assumed investments in funds they setup don't get treated like ETF investing and came in under CGT rules instead. Had that in my head but probably wrong. Key point is there is something a bit dodge in how complex they have made it for people to do the simple this of just investing in few passive index funds. I just do not understand why it is treated different to buying shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

The cynic in me would suggest the large pensions and investment group lobby to keep this kind of passive personal investing awkward
    If you're talking about Deemed Disposal, that came from Michael Noonan when he was Minister for Finance. Country was broke, they knew everyone would pay CGT eventually when people cashed out, this was a method of getting some of that money up front when they needed it in 08/09

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Kamu

Shedite27 wrote: »
    If you're talking about Deemed Disposal, that came from Michael Noonan when he was Minister for Finance. Country was broke, they knew everyone would pay CGT eventually when people cashed out, this was a method of getting some of that money up front when they needed it in 08/09

And has fecked us over ever since. Stupid fecking thing. Makes me hesitant to place any money in etfs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭robman60

Anyone with T212, you can make a pie, which could effectively be an ETF, but without the tax consequences as you would still own the shares individually. Could be an option.

robman60 wrote: »
    Anyone with T212, you can make a pie, which could effectively be an ETF, but without the tax consequences as you would still own the shares individually. Could be an option.
    Some ETF's have thousands of companies though. I wouldn't have the patience to go through them all individually.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

gudede wrote: »

Castor maritime is well back unfortunately for me !.Time to buy more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

CCIV is back down low again. Although so are lots of things.

DMYD looks cheap also.

Advertisement