Advertisement
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

The Jim Cornette Meltdown Thread

2

Comments



  • J. Marston wrote: »
    Sorry, are Drew and Bobby spitting up black goo? Is Roman prancing about pigtails? Nah. How can that nonsense be compared to other solid stuff?

    AEW's rocky relationship with selling is ever-present.

    Doesn't matter. Either you paint in broad brush strokes or you don't.

    Legit when people parrot that Cornette take I first wonder if those people know what selling is and then I wonder if the only type of wrestling they've ever been exposed to is WWE, which if anyone bothered to gif their weekly shows you'll find numerous examples of what you'd consider bad selling.




  • Selling across the board is inconsistent in both companies I feel.

    That's why when someone like Pete Dunne has a match it comes across really well.

    Doesn't feel like he is just linking moves. Feels like everything that happens in the match had an impact on him.




  • Anyway before I end up in an inane selling debate and break this Jim Cornette thread, I'll say this. There's so many more ways to sell than just what you see in WWE, and in the good companies you'll see different styles on the same show. Best example I can think is Hiroshi Tanahashi and Shingo Takagi within a week of each other. Tanahashi sells beautifully against White at Korakuen, plays a face fighting from underneath in the most classic manner imaginable. Shingo Takagi, a completely different type of wrestler plays the same role basically in his match with Okada. Watch them both, it's essentially the same role they're playing in their matches, they play it in two completely different ways, both to tremendous effect. Point is, if you view wrestling through the prism of "this is the right way, everything else is wrong" you miss out on so much more of what pro wrestling is.




  • Anyway before I end up in an inane selling debate and break this Jim Cornette thread, I'll say this. There's so many more ways to sell than just what you see in WWE, and in the good companies you'll see different styles on the same show. Best example I can think is Hiroshi Tanahashi and Shingo Takagi within a week of each other. Tanahashi sells beautifully against White at Korakuen, plays a face fighting from underneath in the most classic manner imaginable. Shingo Takagi, a completely different type of wrestler plays the same role basically in his match with Okada. Watch them both, it's essentially the same role they're playing in their matches, they play it in two completely different ways, both to tremendous effect. Point is, if you view wrestling through the prism of "this is the right way, everything else is wrong" you miss out on so much more of what pro wrestling is.

    I genuinely think some fans have only ever watched WWE and are pre-conditioned to think their sports entertainment style is the only style of wrestling, even though it's more of an entertainment show than a pro-wrestling programme.

    Like when there was a few time limit draws in AEW and people were like oh they do bs finishes too. They couldn't see that a draw is a legit outcome through their WWE lens.




  • J. Marston wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1367283114951790592

    imk14pzhyon61.gif

    And that's just the last few weeks from two of the top guys. Selling in AEW is clearly extremely inconsistent.
    God I despise Cody at this stage, if you described those two gifs to someone they'd think you were talking about the worst of the indys


  • Advertisement


  • I genuinely think some fans have only ever watched WWE and are pre-conditioned to think their sports entertainment style is the only style of wrestling, even though it's more of an entertainment show than a pro-wrestling programme.

    Like when there was a few time limit draws in AEW and people were like oh they do bs finishes too. They couldn't see that a draw is a legit outcome through their WWE lens.

    Exactly and then they throw opinions at you about selling or the tone of a company that they either don't watch or have no point of reference for. It's a time sink.




  • I genuinely think some fans have only ever watched WWE and are pre-conditioned to think their sports entertainment style is the only style of wrestling, even though it's more of an entertainment show than a pro-wrestling programme.

    Like when there was a few time limit draws in AEW and people were like oh they do bs finishes too. They couldn't see that a draw is a legit outcome through their WWE lens.

    I hope you're not implying that AEW is a pro-wrestling show...




  • Exactly and then they throw opinions at you about selling or the tone of a company that they either don't watch or have no point of reference for. It's a time sink.

    I think one could look at Gallows and Anderson getting cracked with a barb wire baseball bat and sell the damage for a few seconds and not have to have seen a super J Cup to realise its probably not good selling.




  • Sirsok wrote: »
    I think one could look at Gallows and Anderson getting cracked with a barb wire baseball bat and sell the damage for a few seconds and not have to have seen a super J Cup to realise its probably not good selling.

    Equally one might say Randy Orton blocking fire as though he's shooing away a dropkick isn't great either. And if you were to be that picky, there's several examples just like that one in the Drew/Sheamus match from Fastlane.

    And if you haven't seen a Super J Cup then you should, they're great.




  • I hope you're not implying that AEW is a pro-wrestling show...

    This will devolve into an MLW debate, watch out.


  • Advertisement


  • Equally one might say Randy Orton blocking fire as though he's shooing away a dropkick isn't great either. And if you were to be that picky, there's several examples just like that one in the Drew/Sheamus match from Fastlane.

    And if you haven't seen a Super J Cup then you should, they're great.

    I think The Fiend stuff is completely reprehensible by the way. As I said I believe selling across both AEW and WWE is pretty inconsistent.

    Owens Apron power bomb wa initially sold as devastating , however now its a nothing move. Ortons punt kick the same.

    I don't think it's helpful to devalue someone's opinion on current American wrestling shows because they don't watch Japanesse wrestling.

    I could just devalue others opinion because they have never performed in a wrestling ring by saying "oh well you have never been in the ring so what do you know"

    Fair play for watching as much wrestling as you do, but that doesn't delegitimised my or anybody else's view of mainstream American wrestling.

    I gave away all my VHS tapes but kept my 94 Super J Cup unfortunate considering I can't watch Benoit matches anymore




  • This will devolve into an MLW debate, watch out.
    I've never had a single, solitary, MLW debate.

    Unlike you with AEW, I don't take it as an affront if people don't watch/enjoy MLW.




  • Sirsok wrote: »
    I think The Fiend stuff is completely reprehensible by the way. As I said I believe selling across both AEW and WWE is pretty inconsistent.

    Owens Apron power bomb wa initially sold as devastating , however now its a nothing move. Ortons punt kick the same.

    I don't think it's helpful to devalue someone's opinion on current American wrestling shows because they don't watch Japanesse wrestling.

    I could just devalue others opinion because they have never performed in a wrestling ring by saying "oh well you have never been in the ring so what do you know"

    Fair play for watching as much wrestling as you do, but that doesn't delegitimised my or anybody else's view of mainstream American wrestling.

    I gave away all my VHS tapes but kept my 94 Super J Cup unfortunate considering I can't watch Benoit matches anymore

    I can't remember turning anything into a debate about Japanese wrestling. I watch more American wrestling than just AEW and WWE you know.

    My point was if you view aspects of ring work (in this case selling) through the prism of having only watched WWE then of course other styles and methods will look weird (or wrong). I gave 2 examples of excellent selling I've watched recently (they happen to be Japanese) but at no stage is this a "oh you don't watch Japanese wrestling you don't know what selling is" conversation.

    And to be very honest I've very little problems with the selling in either company. At times I think it can be very good and there's examples of excellent sellers in both companies.




  • I've never had a single, solitary, MLW debate.

    Unlike you with AEW, I don't take it as an affront if people don't watch/enjoy MLW.

    Must re-emphasise, I don't take it as a affront if you criticise AEW. But if you call it ****e then I'll probably ask why you think that. If you don't watch Dragon Gate, that I take as an affront.




  • I can't remember turning anything into a debate about Japanese wrestling. I watch more American wrestling than just AEW and WWE you know.

    My point was if you view aspects of ring work (in this case selling) through the prism of having only watched WWE then of course other styles and methods will look weird (or wrong). I gave 2 examples of excellent selling I've watched recently (they happen to be Japanese) but at no stage is this a "oh you don't watch Japanese wrestling you don't know what selling is" conversation.

    And to be very honest I've very little problems with the selling in either company. At times I think it can be very good and there's examples of excellent sellers in both companies.

    I'm sure you watch all types of wrestling LOB, I'm not questioning that. I'm also not suggesting you are turning it into a Japennese wrestling debate.

    What I am saying yourself and Rollie seem to be devaluing peoples opinion because they view Wrestling thru a "WWE Lense". That statement is even skewed as if you have been a WWE fan for the last 30 years the style has changed.

    Wrestling at its very core though has fundamentals. One of them to me would be selling. Regardless of what preconceived notion you have of wrestling, selling is essential. When inconsistencies in selling occur throughout throughout show or match , for me , that tends to devalue the whole experience.

    Lio Rush Canadian destroyer off a ladder thru a table for example, nonsense to me.

    Kenny Omega collapsing from exhaustion before Okada hits the Rainmaker,perfection.

    Moxley and Omega selling the barb wire.
    Good brothers get slapped with barb wire bats and are fine.....same match.




  • Sirsok wrote: »
    I'm sure you watch all types of wrestling LOB, I'm not questioning that. I'm also not suggesting you are turning it into a Japennese wrestling debate.

    What I am saying yourself and Rollie seem to be devaluing peoples opinion because they view Wrestling thru a "WWE Lense". That statement is even skewed as if you have been a WWE fan for the last 30 years the style has changed.

    Wrestling at its very core though has fundamentals. One of them to me would be selling. Regardless of what preconceived notion you have of wrestling, selling is essential. When inconsistencies in selling occur throughout throughout show or match , for me , that tends to devalue the whole experience.

    Lio Rush Canadian destroyer off a ladder thru a table for example, nonsense to me.

    Kenny Omega collapsing from exhaustion before Okada hits the Rainmaker,perfection.

    Moxley and Omega selling the barb wire.
    Good brothers get slapped with barb wire bats and are fine.....same match.

    On the 2nd paragraph I'm not trying to devalue anyone's opinions, if you've watched 30 years of WWE then I can't devalue your opinion realistically and I wouldn't try to. And I agree the ring style has gradually shifted, though I'd argue that inherently what you'll see on a Raw from 1997 (using that as the example because I'm currently watching those) is largely the same with regards to the core structures of matches and what they look for in their wrestlers. Obviously current WWE will have a more modern twist to it.

    My point is simply if you're someone whose only ever watched WWE and you see, for example a run of the mill no sell spot off a suplex and a double down, you might think "nah, that's crap" but to someone whose watched that style of wrestling will understand that it's simply a different way of selling to get the overall story across. Just simple things like that don't translate well if the only point of reference a fan may have is WWE.

    I agree that Rush spot was dirt. And I agree that Omega/Okada spot is a great moment. Some people get very hung up on selling. God forbid there's a match involving limb work because the discourse after it centers solely on the selling of the limb, my view has always been if I don't notice bad selling then it's not bad selling and if the story of the match has come across well by the bell then the wrestlers have done a good job. Literally to me it's that simple. The barbed wire bat spot I swear I didn't even notice until I saw a gif of it afterwards. Fair enough, probably a bad sell in the context of what had gone on previously in the Mox/Omega match. But unfortunately I think AEW has been ripe for what I'd consider hyper sensitive criticism because, whether people want to admit it or not, there's a section of wrestling fans who want it to fail, plain and simple.




  • and blocked by wee Jim, all i said in response to a tweet yesterday was "just like your wife, she loves being touched by wrestlers i have heard" in response to this tweet, https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/1375842681520275461




  • montyrebel wrote: »
    and blocked by wee Jim, all i said in response to a tweet yesterday was "just like your wife, she loves being touched by wrestlers i have heard"

    are you surprised? That's a pretty nasty tweet, not something to be proud of.




  • thats funny




  • montyrebel wrote: »
    and blocked by wee Jim, all i said in response to a tweet yesterday was "just like your wife, she loves being touched by wrestlers i have heard" in response to this tweet




    This is everything that is wrong with the world today. Would you say that to his face, No you wouldn't because he would slap the **** out of you. A hard man behind the keyboard aren't you. There is nothing funny about it that is just a nasty post that say what kinds of person you really are.


  • Advertisement


  • montyrebel wrote: »
    and blocked by wee Jim, all i said in response to a tweet yesterday was "just like your wife, she loves being touched by wrestlers i have heard" in response to this tweet, https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/1375842681520275461

    So you tried to embarrass a man's wife who you've never met because you don't like a character he plays?

    You're not the hero in this story.




  • montyrebel wrote: »
    thats funny

    What’s remotely funny about what you said ?




  • montyrebel wrote: »
    and blocked by wee Jim, all i said in response to a tweet yesterday was "just like your wife, she loves being touched by wrestlers i have heard" in response to this tweet, https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/1375842681520275461

    EDk0WjyW4AEMucJ.jpg

    I mean talk about misreading the room, thinking you'd get a pat on the back, a job well done by posting such an edgy badass response to a tweet? This didn't turn out however you expected.


    Embarrassed for ya lad.




  • I actually like listening to Jim, but then my knowledge wouldn't be the greatest so I've no idea if he's talking ****e or talking shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite.




  • montyrebel wrote: »
    and blocked by wee Jim, all i said in response to a tweet yesterday was "just like your wife, she loves being touched by wrestlers i have heard" in response to this tweet, https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/1375842681520275461

    Wow. I know this thread is mostly negative towards Cornette but where did this come from?

    This reminds me of that infamous James Dean story where he showed up to a party and, as he was walking in the door, the people inside started making orgy noises as a joke. But Dean, upon hearing the sex sounds, immediately whipped out his lad and started pulling himself off, much to the shock of the party goers.

    As someone said above, talk about misreading the room.




  • I wouldn't mind but Cornette wears his block list as a badge of honour.


    Unsurprising who the one and only 'thank' is from.




  • I wouldn't mind but Cornette wears his block list as a badge of honour.


    Unsurprising who the one and only 'thank' is from.

    Ohh I think that might be me...

    I popped. Dude's a creep.




  • Dude's a creep.

    Who...

    Me, you or Cornette?




  • Who...

    Me, you or Cornette?

    Oh Cornette. I don't know anything about you and I know I'm not a creep.


  • Advertisement


  • Oh Cornette. I don't know anything about you and I know I'm not a creep.

    But dude, yeah Cornette is probably a cunty dude at the end of the day, and he may deserve everything he gets (because he seeks it out), but yeah best thing to do is ignore him rather than push more hate out into the world.


Advertisement