Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

deravarra wrote: »
    I know someone who moved over there. Not Irish mind you. He's Italian.

I think I know who you're talking about, I met him in a corridor here and there was mutual recognition exchanged. Didn't know him at Intel really though

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

There were opportunities for folks to take a work day off to attend college - and get paid while doing it!

No pleasing some people

No pleasing some people? :rolleyes:

Give it a rest.

Working four x twelve hour night shifts and then faced with study in between your next batch of night shifts isn't for everybody.

People have different commitments outside of work, some find remote study difficult and need a more structured set up, but enjoy the high horse anyway.

Sorriest thing I ever did was turn down numerous chances to do further studies when they were throwing money at us all to do it.

This whole thread is liked a linked in wall.
    L1011 wrote: »
    You absolutely do not transfer your latest semiconductor tech to a cheap economy that is going to be exceptionally open to industrial espionage

Intel has a plant in China which makes end of life stuff.

China isn’t that cheap. People seem to under estimate the Chinese industrial processes.

Brian? wrote: »
    I didn't have to do it, I chose to do it. I could have comfortably stayed as a technician for the next 20 years. I chose to get a Masters for my own career. I didn't do it Intel, I did if for my family.

Then I left, so it seems like I'm the one who really benefitted and not Intel.

3 days off one week, 4 days off the next. Perfect time to study.
    I think you're great for going ahead and getting an education, but so, you're obviously intelligent enough to know that Intel aren't doing this for any philanthropic purpose.

They're doing this because they're in the business of manufacturing valuable assets. Intel know that most people will not leave. If their scheme works, then they are having their workers go off and study for extended periods to improve the Intel workforce, unpaid.

It's a little bit genius, a little bit dystopian.

• Advertisement

I think you're great for going ahead and getting an education, but so, you're obviously intelligent enough to know that Intel aren't doing this for any philanthropic purpose.

They're doing this because they're in the business of manufacturing valuable assets. Intel know that most people will not leave. If their scheme works, then they are having their workers go off and study for extended periods to improve the Intel workforce, unpaid.

It also seems to encourage individualism, rather than a joined up workforce organising as a union. Notice the response to layoffs here, no collective bargaining but contempt for those who didn’t change their L levels whatever that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

*takes out begrudgery-meter to measure the level of bregrudgery in-thread.

Ah I see ...we're hovering at around.... 110% ...can someone cross check.

Also working in Intel encourages people to use lots of initialisms.

I only know one guy who worked there. He said they engaged in competitive yearly reviews - ie bob vs John - or across teams.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If their scheme works, then they are having their workers go off and study for extended periods to improve the Intel workforce, unpaid.

As opposed to studying at your own expense prior to getting the job I the first place?
    It is not as if you are studying Intel specific items. I got 6 years of engineering qualifications done. All paid for.

And 4 days off every second week - this wasn't explained correctly.
    One week you had 3 days off. the next week you had 4 days off. Loads of time off to spend with family and also do some study.

That sounds good actually. I’d be happy right now to trade in the 8 hours 5 days a week with 12 hours 3-4 days a week. That’s a long weekend or a very long weekend every week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I didn't see any previous posts on lack of collective bargaining, but I am not remotely surprised. And yet there will be dupes here, defending Intel to the very end.

Re collective bargaining the redundancy package in 2009 was 10 weeks pay for every year of service. This was a voluntary redundancy scheme. That is one of the best payoffs I have heard of before and since. People are quite entitled to unionize if they want but a company has no responsibility to talk to a union. There has never been enough unhappiness there that drove the workers onto a picket line. I remember 1 time in 1996 it came close but the company just threw cash at the problem and contented all but the most belligerent. They would never let the industrial relations get bad enough where a union would be required.

That sounds good actually. I’d be happy right now to trade in the 8 hours 5 days a week with 12 hours 3-4 days a week. That’s a long weekend or a very long weekend every week.

Down side is that your shift could include Friday, Saturday or Sunday night. The hours can be fairly unsocial which is why I am happier I a normal hours job. Suits some though.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Re collective bargaining the redundancy package in 2009 was 10 weeks pay for every year of service. This was a voluntary redundancy scheme. That is one of the best payoffs I have heard of before and since. People are quite entitled to unionize if they want but a company has no responsibility to talk to a union. There has never been enough unhappiness there that drove the workers onto a picket line. I remember 1 time in 1996 it came close but the company just threw cash at the problem and contented all but the most belligerent. They would never let the industrial relations get bad enough where a union would be required.

Down side is that your shift could include Friday, Saturday or Sunday night. The hours can be fairly unsocial which is why I am happier I a normal hours job. Suits some though.

Haha, I actually deleted my post because I thought "nobody seriously cares about defending multinational corporations, that's deathly boring",and now here ou are defending how generous Intel is when it makes you literally redundant.

The best redundancy in town! Jesus Fcuking Christ.

Haha, I actually deleted my post because I thought "nobody seriously cares about defending multinational corporations, that's deathly boring",and now here ou are defending how generous Intel is when it makes you literally redundant.

Their redundancies were indeed brilliant. You really seem to be blowing what they’re saying out of all proportion.

It was a VOLUNTARY redundancy. That means that people VOLUNTEERED. So nobody was forced out. It was their choice and with that choice came a massive wad of cash. Many had jobs line up elsewhere already so this was money in the bank to pay down mortgages etc.
    Did you work there? Why so negative about the place?
    I did work there and as I said I didn't like it much but that had nothing to do with how the staff were treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

For the record I have never worked for Intel, but every employee is making a company money. They're a business at the end of the day. If they want to get more out of their employees through education so be it. At least the employee has a personal gain with qualifications they can take elsewhere but will also be beneficial if they stay.

Stop acting like you're somehow worse off by having Big Corporate pay for it. If you get a degree on your own accord it still benefits a company in someway only you're thousands out of pocket.

All three of my sisters are currently in college. One works for a small engineering company in an office, they're paying for her degree. The other two are doing a master's on their own while working. They're all doing them as it benefits them in their jobs. Whether it's just a leg up when it's time to review salaries or expand their skillset for future roles. The ones doing them of their own accord are no better off because they're paying it themselves.

Of course it’s in Intel’s benefit. But that’s what makes them a great company to work for. They treat their people like assets and not liabilities.

It’s all part of the lean philosophy. They know If they invest in people they get the best results.

I was one of the few who paid for my own college. But I did get extra time off when I needed it for exams etc. absolutely no problem. You see something sinister to it, I don’t. It’s a symbiotic approach. We were encouraged and incentivised to improve ourselves, which benefits intel in the medium to long term. It’s not dystopian, it’s a smart way to run a company.

they/them/theirs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Joe4321

Intel redundancy back in 2009/ 2010 was not voluntary, hundreds of employees were made redundant, from what I know the package was average compared to what was been given out at the time but the big kick in the teeth for long term employees at the time was the redundancy package was capped at 24months, a lot of employees was not compensated for their length of service,

Joe4321 wrote: »
    Intel redundancy back in 2009/ 2010 was not voluntary, hundreds of employees were made redundant, from what I know the package was average compared to what was been given out at the time but the big kick in the teeth for long term employees at the time was the redundancy package was capped at 24months, a lot of employees was not compensated for their length of service,

It was voluntary. I was one of them. I volunteered and got redundancy. It was not capped at 24 months. It was capped at 10 years service ie the most you could get was 10 weeks x 10 years = 100 weeks pay

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It was voluntary. I was one of them. I volunteered and got redundancy. It was not capped at 24 months. It was capped at 10 years service ie the most you could get was 10 weeks x 10 years = 100 weeks pay

There was involuntary after you left. It was the one and only time it happened. 50% of the techs in IFO were let go. The place was on its last legs.

they/them/theirs

Your wrong in what you say, it was not voluntary for most people, as they done multiple times before that they asked for people to volunteer but this time around they did not get as many people to volunteer, a few hundred people were laid of, that is not voluntary, they were brought in one by one by there respective manager and the majority cam out with a white envelope with there redundancy package in it, people did not know who was been laid of until they went in to talk to there manager on the day, they did not have to work up there notice period as they got paid for that,

• Advertisement

@Brian? You are correct in what you say, people were told that if they appeal their decision that the same redundancy package most likely would not be on the table again hence people just accepted it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Sounds like intel are being paid a fortune by the IDA for any new job they add. As for unions intel and any other American company hate them. I laugh at this American idea of corporate culture where "team members" are valued.your only valued as long as you can make money for them and don't object to intel or any other company you work for making you jump through hoops. From reading the thread it does seem to be for some people though.

Intel is a good company to work for but this type of work it not suited for everyone, the shift that they work sound great but it is tough on your body, one month of days followed by a month of nights, you work some part of the weekend every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

sounds like they're the aldi/lidl of the manufacturing world

@fryup what do you base that on

Aldi and lidl actually pay above the market rate

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Joe4321 wrote: »
    @fryup what do you base that on

the comments in this thread,

the vibe is..they pay well but you have to sell your soul to them, they own you

Not a fan of either aldi or lidl but same can be said of a lot of employers who pay minimum wages but it's more noticeable in this type of working environment

Sounds like intel are being paid a fortune by the IDA for any new job they add. As for unions intel and any other American company hate them. I laugh at this American idea of corporate culture where "team members" are valued.your only valued as long as you can make money for them and don't object to intel or any other company you work for making you jump through hoops. From reading the thread it does seem to be for some people though.

The money the IDA give Intel is buttons to Intel. They do get a lot of tax benefits from hiring graduates through. Again, this is a good thing for everyone involved. Intel is the biggest net contributor to the Irish economy in the private sector.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    sounds like they're the aldi/lidl of the manufacturing world

In what way?

they/them/theirs

Advertisement