Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

United Ireland Poll - please vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭MOH

There won't be a political party in the south supporting the partitionist agenda.

Partitionists will have to depend on Peter Casey and Kevin Myers types while all the political parties will be coming up with proposals for a UI.
    It will be 'get on the train' or be left in the station time.

No Irish political party will turn it's back on Unification. That's a big hill to die on.

"Partitionist agenda". ROFL.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

This constant urge to extract NI from the UK, to Green the North like it's part of the South, when it's clearly not - it's a place apart, and it's a region within the United Kingdom.

It's got a different history, a different lineage, different culture, different customs, different tribal affiliations, different health service too!

So why the urge to upset the hard won peace?

Leave them be I say, I'm sure they'll tell us (if & when)? they want Dublin to pick up the tab and finance them and their NHS instead of London.

We're always at it, always preaching to them about when they should leave the UK, always warning them that any minute now there will be more Catholics than protestants, hence it's only a matter of time before . . . . . . .

I remember the Troubles, and I don't want them back, so leave them alone up North I say, and stop trying to push the "United Ireland" agenda against their will.

They are Orange, they are British, they are Northern Irish, they are Irish from the North of this island, and most of them do not want to be shoehorned into this Republic of ours that > can't afford them anyway :)

Leave the UI dream be, and let it remain a dream, just in case it becomes a nightmare (if a UI is forced).

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

We are at this point because Northern Ireland as a 'state' has failed, it cannot govern itself, it requires an internationally binding agreement between two sovereign states in order to function.

An 'independent' state is not viable therefore and creating one would be as irresponsible as partition was.

And you think replacing Dublin for London will fix all ills. All you'll have is a Unionist Francie saying he wants London back and so it all begins again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

This constant urge to extract NI from the UK, to Green the North like it's part of the South, when it's clearly not - it's a place apart, and it's a region within the United Kingdom.

It's got a different history, a different lineage, different culture, different customs, different tribal affiliations, different health service too!

Leave them be I say, I'm sure they'll tell us (if & when)? they want Dublin to pick up the tab and finance them and their NHS instead of London.

We're always at it, always preaching to them about when they should leave the UK, always warning them that any minute now there will be more Catholics than protestants, hence it's only a matter of time before . . . . . . .

I remember the Troubles, and I don't want them back, so leave them alone up North I say, and stop trying to push the "United Ireland" agenda against their will.

They are Orange, they are British, they are Northern Irish, they are Irish from the North of this island, and most of them do not want to be shoehorned into this Republic of ours that > can't afford them anyway :)

Leave the UI dream be, and let it remain a dream, just in case it becomes a nightmare (if a UI is forced).

What if northern Ireland said. Stop right there lads. Where do you think you are going with this? We are voting for you to become part of Northern Ireland. The new Country will be called Northern Ireland and we will have the red hand for a flag. And we have some ideas for a national Anthem too. And the Capital will be Belfast.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Francie et al who are united Ireland at all cost.... Put your self in Bill Unionist shoes for a minute. You seem to think they will shrug their shoulders and go meeh. SF/IRA didn't/havent

Republicans had a better future to fight for. The unionists can only look back to the "glory days" of the British empire.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭eire4

Republicans had a better future to fight for. The unionists can only look back to the "glory days" of the British empire.

Which were not so good to put it mildly from a human rights etc perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Brings it all back to an independent Northern Ireland state.
    50 years on their own feet. Then have a referendum...

never going to happen, so you may as well accept it.
    suggesting it is just more burying one's head in the sand in relation to the reality, that reunification is coming.
    suggesting it is also irresponsible.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

No.

Is that you saying that or Ulster? :)

They better frame the question though so that no means yes.
    Because Ulster only says no.

JimmyVik wrote: »

The question is what would I vote for, in the context of a United Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

What if northern Ireland said. Stop right there lads. Where do you think you are going with this? We are voting for you to become part of Northern Ireland. The new Country will be called Northern Ireland and we will have the red hand for a flag. And we have some ideas for a national Anthem too. And the Capital will be Belfast.

:)

Ireland is the geographical name of the island. Northern Ireland is a political name invented in 1921 for the 6 counties of Ireland to the north east of Ireland that remained part of the UK. If you united the island of Ireland into one sovereign independent nation why would you call it anything but Ireland. Even some educated unionists refer themselves as Irish as they all did 100 years ago. The binary system where if you are British therefore you cant be irish has only taken off since the troubles due to the apartheid in the North.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

suggesting it is just more burying one's head in the sand in relation to the reality, that reunification is coming.

Explain to us how suggesting an independent NI is irresponsible. I agree it's not going to happen, but that doesn't mean people can't throw it out there as an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

Not all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

Please indulge me... Irresponsible how?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

No it doesn't.

There shouldn't be any return to the Troubles as any Protestant and/or Unionist will be treated equally. This was not the case for Catholics and/or nationalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,283 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

And you think replacing Dublin for London will fix all ills. All you'll have is a Unionist Francie saying he wants London back and so it all begins again.

It will fix a lot.

And the challenge will be demonstrating to Unionists that they have more say and better futures here.
    That won't be hard on the back of the several shaftings they have got in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Zaph wrote: »
    Explain to us how suggesting an independent NI is irresponsible. I agree it's not going to happen, but that doesn't mean people can't throw it out there as an option.

it's irresponsible as you are leaving a state that has already shown to be unable to govern itself and to be a failed state to continue on the same path,, but without checks and balances in place to stop toxic forces like the DUP.
    remember the DUP would turn northern ireland back into an apartheid state in a heart beat, so leaving it to govern itself is just to dangerous.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I voted yes on the basis of all the assumptions in the OP coming true but otherwise not

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/opinion/letters/my-father-gave-his-life-for-a-safer-ireland-and-someone-must-answer-for-his-murder-by-ira-terrorists-3180188

still far to many unresolved issues , would you really support a party that lauds and protects to this day those who murdered our police , army and prison service members

"
    Therefore, you can appreciate how distraught I personally felt to see Mr McFarlane topping the bill of an online Sinn Fein St Patrick’s Day Concert in recent days when my father has missed out on so many of life celebrations, including St Patrick’s Day, these past 37 years."

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/opinion/letters/my-father-gave-his-life-for-a-safer-ireland-and-someone-must-answer-for-his-murder-by-ira-terrorists-3180188

still far to many unresolved issues , would you really support a party that lauds and protects to this day those who murdered our police , army and prison service members

"
    Therefore, you can appreciate how distraught I personally felt to see Mr McFarlane topping the bill of an online Sinn Fein St Patrick’s Day Concert in recent days when my father has missed out on so many of life celebrations, including St Patrick’s Day, these past 37 years."

Sadly, thousands could tell that story.

• Advertisement

Sadly, thousands could tell that story.

the murders of thousands of people are being protected by the political party you rabidly support ?

yes I agree

we are still generations away from a united Ireland due to such ongoing criminality of sf

the murders of thousands of people are being protected by the political party you rabidly support ?

yes I agree

we are still generations away from a united Ireland due to such ongoing criminality of sf

Not just the actions of the IRA Stevo.
    We had afternoon tea with the head of the British Defence forces and all our monarchists got to wave their flags at her, despite the fact that her forces have information on the killing of many people here in THIS state as well as northern Ireland and they have locked that info away for another 40 or 50 years.

Perhaps it is long since time that Britain, Ireland and all the players in the conflict agreed to the proposal to take part in an all inclusive Truth and Recovery process?

Guess who is proposing that and guess who is running a mile from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

A UI isn't about Sinn Féin, or the Troubles, or the bodies buried in West Cork, it's about securing the best possible future for the maximum number of people in Ireland.

How monumentally thick do you have to be not to understand the malevolent force Britain is in Ireland and will continue to be until we have all Ireland sovereignty?

Not just the actions of the IRA Stevo.
    We had afternoon tea with the head of the British Defence forces and all our monarchists got to wave their flags at her, despite the fact that her forces have information on the killing of many people here in THIS state as well as northern Ireland and they have locked that info away for another 40 or 50 years.

Perhaps it is long since time that Britain, Ireland and all the players in the conflict agreed to the proposal to take part in an all inclusive Truth and Recovery process?

Guess who is proposing that and guess who is running a mile from it?

the british army didn't murder those people I mentioned

the pira did , why cant you ever do anything but deflect when you are called out on your unwavering support for terrorism and murder ?

the british army didn't murder those people I mentioned

the pira did , why cant you ever do anything but deflect when you are called out on your unwavering support for terrorism and murder ?

I didn't support the IRA Stevo...not now or at any time.

This thread is about a UI by the way, not the IRA nor electing SF to government.

A UI isn't about Sinn Féin, or the Troubles, or the bodies buried in West Cork, it's about securing the best possible future for the maximum number of people in Ireland.

How monumentally thick do you have to be not to understand the malevolent force Britain is in Ireland and will continue to be until we have all Ireland sovereignty?

that "mentality " is akin to re-electing the Nazis after ww2 because they were good administrators
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:

which bodies are your referring to that are buried in west cork by the way tom ?

I didn't support the IRA Stevo...not now or at any time.

This thread is about a UI by the way, not the IRA nor electing SF to government.

your support of the party who support the ira is very clear francie

there are still a lot of murderer being protected by sf .

sf are the ones pushing for a border poll as they would be in government

do you follow ?

its really the same conversation with the same people over and over again here isn't it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

that "mentality " is akin to re-electing the Nazis after ww2 because they were good administrators
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:

which bodies are your referring to that are buried in west cork by the way tom ?

This thread is about a United Ireland and you're using it to cry about Sinn Féin.

Is there not a SF hate thread for you lot?

your support of the party who support the ira is very clear francie

there are still a lot of murderer being protected by sf .

sf are the ones pushing for a border poll as they would be in government

do you follow ?

its really the same conversation with the same people over and over again here isn't it

The IRA are no longer a threat, I checked that before I voted for SF. SF do not own that vote.

The thread is NOT about the IRA Stevo or electing SF into government.

It is about a United Ireland - supported by all political parties in our state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,175 ✭✭✭✭jm08

yes I agree

What do you propose should be done with former members of the paramilitaries? Keep them all in jail?

Advertisement