Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭VonLuck

February was a great time for me to get interested in stocks. I'll see green some day I'm sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Gamma1 wrote: »
    All green stocks, electric cars, batteries, H2 taking an awful pounding - the green revolution is dead as per market.

I think the green stock prices got a bit ahead of the green revolution. If you believe we'll all be driving electric cars by 2030, hold electric car stocks till 2030 and you'll be happy. The stock price can't go up 100% every few weeks if the sales aren't going up 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I think the green stock prices got a bit ahead of the green revolution. If you believe we'll all be driving electric cars by 2030, hold electric car stocks till 2030 and you'll be happy. The stock price can't go up 100% every few weeks if the sales aren't going up 100%

I think the profits people have made from the likes of TSLA and NIO have distorted the view people have of EV.

By 2030 they are currently predicted to hold about 30% of car ownership globally, maybe closer to 50% in US/EU, and then their growth will likely stall as barriers become more about access to the infrastructure needed to charge them than cost/trust in the products themselves.

TSLA have an advantage as they are more than a car company but I wouldn't be surprised to see EV stocks decline/stall for a couple of years, until they have actual usable products (ie QS) or have moved past their early version products and gained general credibility.

https://www2.deloitte.com/uk/en/insights/focus/future-of-mobility/electric-vehicle-trends-2030.html

Having said that, there are some bargains to be had in the EV area currently, that someone could park some cash in for a LTH.
    ie NGAC/XOS, an EV truck spac that still pre-merger @ 9.98. As companies come under more pressure to be green, something like an electric truck is going to be very tempting for any delivery related company, with rumours of Amazon trialling their trucks currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Cpfm

pioneerpro wrote: »
    Honestly, as much as everyone here disparages Reddit, this entire thread is well worth the read. Unless you're in pure indexes at the moment, you're bleeding out regardless of how well your portfolio is diversified, or how much DD you've done, or how 'safe' you should be based on market trends and demands.

https://www.reddit.com/r/stocks/comments/mceprg/its_not_just_me_right/

jaysus thats a depressing read :pac: :pac: ... but good to know, I've been starting to question my selection decisions and wondering...

thanks for posting .. makes me feel a little better... we'll all be insolvent together :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

Everything I have is down pre market, and it's raining....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 VertBlue

VonLuck wrote: »
    February was a great time for me to get interested in stocks. I'll see green some day I'm sure!

In a similar boat here Von. Although everything I have I'm in for the long haul so I'm OK, but it is tough to look at.

Is this the great reset people were warning about?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Time in the market beats timing the market, for anyone in the likes of NIO or Tesla for 12months+ have most likely seem their money 5x and in some cases 10x, even at the current depressed price's.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bawnBeag

Just don't panic and sell, especially if you're in the red

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Timmaay wrote: »
    Time in the market beats timing the market, for anyone in the likes of NIO or Tesla for 12months+ have most likely seem their money 5x and in some cases 10x, even at the current depressed price's.

This is also the mantra from Emmet Savage from MyWallSt and he has the figures to prove it over time .

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

VonLuck wrote: »

Same as me! Have had interest and dabbled over the years but took the plunge in Feb, great timing indeed

Now, I’m stuck looking at dips and pumping more money than I ever intended weekly just because feel like trying to average out the cost.

Maybe I should try not look everyday, I only down 3% but feel like constantly wanting to reload account keep buying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Don't make me tap the sign ->
    Fidelity - Since 1920 the S&P 500 on average has recorded a 5% pullback 3 times a year, 10% drop once every 16 months and a 20% correction every 7 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

I think I’d like to stick to topping up my “banker” picks regularly and steadily and then having maybe 100 odd quid a week on gamble penny shares.

I’ve chopped and changed mindset on a weekly basis it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

The worst part of this ‘’correction’’ is that you buy dips here and there, and when it dips even further, you come to a stage where you run out of money to buy anymore dips, and you just look at the screen and think to yourself, gosh I wish I didn’t buy those dips earlier on...

It’s like having a limited budget and buying a couple of shirts for a special price of 14€..only for it to come down to 10€ 2/3 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

The worst part of this ‘’correction’’ is that you buy dips here and there, and when it dips even further, you come to a stage where you run out of money to buy anymore dips, and you just look at the screen and think to yourself, gosh I wish I didn’t buy those dips earlier on...

It’s like having a limited budget and buying a couple of shirts for a special price of 14€..only for it to come down to 10€ 2/3 days later.

A good quote I read afew weeks ago, "cash is also a position", and its definitely a sin I'm guilty of also, I have like 10 or 20% cash and I spent it all too soon, always good to take some profits the whole way along and leave sitting as cash to be spent sparingly across the blood on the streets times.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jams100

Timmaay wrote: »
    A good quote I read afew weeks ago, "cash is also a position", and its definitely a sin I'm guilty of also, I have like 10 or 20% cash and I spent it all too soon, always good to take some profits the whole way along and leave sitting as cash to be spent sparingly across the blood on the streets times.

But, lets take for example the Nasdaq, 3 weeks ago it was at 12,300.
    That was a dip, I bought then. It's still at 12,600 right now. So when you step back sometimes you actually realise its not actually that bad and you already bought at these or lower prices.

So don't be kicking yourself because there are a few red days. Just make sure your buying solid long term companies.

Came across this very high level way of judging if a stock is a good stock recently, how are you answering these questions in relation to a stock your buying?

High inside ownership?
    Market CAP (Relative to peers)?
    More cash than debt?
    Great return on equity?
    Sales growing year on year?

Strong company culture?
    Sustainable competitive advantage?
    Evangelist Customers?
    A growing industry?
    Visionary leaders?

Simple, but if the answers to these questions are bad your probably buying a SPAC/former SPAC or some Chinese company
    Don't panic sell take a step back and look at the reasons why you bought the company in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

jams100 wrote: »
    Simple, but if the answers to these questions are bad your probably buying a hype/meme SPAC/former SPAC or some Chinese company

FYP. Plenty of extremely solid SPACs out there, and some very prominent post-ticker changes (DKNG, BFLY or DM for example)
    Don't panic sell take a step back and look at the reasons why you bought the company in the first place.

This x1000. You should be able to walk away for a full quarter without fretting about anything other than insider trading, major lawsuit or industrial disaster in relation to just about anything you plan to hold long.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jams100

FYP. Plenty of extremely solid SPACs out there, and some very prominent post-ticker changes (DKNG, BFLY or DM for example)
    Oh Yea I own DKNG, OPEN, 4D Pharma

Some of the ones that came out initially we're actually good companies a lot of them are pure garbage now though and there are way too many coming nowadays. Of course there will be a few good ones.
    My point is the stocks that are falling hardest right now and over recent weeks are generally the Spac's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chuckie_Egg

16:20 B 10 Intellia Therapeutics $ 56.35
    16:00 B 10 CRISPR Therapeutics $ 108.55
    13:05 B 50 WisdomTree Cloud Computing UCITS ETF USD Acc € 38.56

Done a bit of shopping while we were in the red

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

16:20 B 10 Intellia Therapeutics $ 56.35
    16:00 B 10 CRISPR Therapeutics $ 108.55
    13:05 B 50 WisdomTree Cloud Computing UCITS ETF USD Acc € 38.56

Done a bit of shopping while we were in the red

Bought myself back into CCIV at $22 earlier having previously sold out at $29.5. Let's see, I've been holding mostly cash for the past month avoiding the declines, but hard to call the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chuckie_Egg

Hard to call a bottom but after 3 days of red it makes for a good swing trade even if the sell off continues. I saw CCIV too but as I haven't kept up with the goings on, I sat on my hands for that one
    CCIV up to $24 now, nice 10% for an afternoon watching red

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

LTBR on a run.
    Opened a small position on this on Monday after reading about Thorium nuclear energy over the weekend, forgot to post here.
    It dropped further on tues/wed, but have earnings today, and announced funding from the US Dept of Energy for further research which has caused a 30% spike

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Is it over? Is it safe to buy again?

Anyone have an opinion on Cloudflare (NET) vs Fastly (FSLY)? Both in the dip, NET more established player, FSLY the innovative up and comer, with Signal Sciences in their locker too. Then there's also the likes of Amazon or Google to think of who could muscle their way in.

Bacchus wrote: »

Anyone have an opinion on Cloudflare (NET) vs Fastly (FSLY)? Both in the dip, NET more established player, FSLY the innovative up and comer, with Signal Sciences in their locker too. Then there's also the likes of Amazon or Google to think of who could muscle their way in.
    I like the idea of both, but don't understand the differences, so I bought both. I can see Fastly getting bought out by a bigger player (someone like Cisco) at some point this year.

Honestly, as much as everyone here disparages Reddit, this entire thread is well worth the read. Unless you're in pure indexes at the moment, you're bleeding out regardless of how well your portfolio is diversified, or how much DD you've done, or how 'safe' you should be based on market trends and demands.

https://www.reddit.com/r/stocks/comments/mceprg/its_not_just_me_right/
    Good thread for a bit of context isn't it.

My own portfolio, start of the year was ridiculous, up 30% in the first 6 weeks of the year.

Now back down 25% down from that high.

Been a rollercoaster of a start to the year. Net effect, currently up 7.5% for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Ark filed for ARKX today, it’s space exploration etf. Active from Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Have to agree with everything being said here to date.
    My own strategy is to buy on the way down...it has to turn at some point.
    I bought one share in tesla few weeks ago .set my limit at 550 thinking not a fear of it happening,a day or two later it actually dropped to 540 but hit straight back over 600 immediately.
    I didn't think such a wild swing could happen in an hour not to mind a day.
    set your buy limit low and gtc.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

Bacchus wrote: »

Cloudflare imo. The anti-DDOS and their DNS services are only going to grow in value going forward, and their tech stack and business model is pretty solid imo. They're both good companies tbh, but Cloudflare is a little more diversified (albeit smaller).

The difference between the two?

Fastly is, in many respects, an infrastructure play. They focus on content delivery - CDN - which basically means they've a load of data centers around the world and will route a Brazillian vs. an Irish user of a website to the most appropriate 'copy' of the site (well, the assets of the site) to serve up the data quicker. They've some big clients like Reddit/Amazon. This same plethora of conveniently placed data centres also allows them to offer edge computing services - like content delivery, but for processing of data rather than just 'dumb delivery'.

Cloudflare does a fair bit of CDN too, but its mainly known for its DNS - Domain Name Server - stuff. DNS being the mapping between a websites handy address (www.boards.ie) and it's 'actual address' (http://172.67.144.191/). Because of this DNS routing ability, its basically the first line of defense against many types of volume based hacking attacks - rerouting malicious traffic to a black hole and allowing 'actual' traffic to access the site unscathed.

Tbh, you've almost certainly seen something like this accessing boards.ie at some point in the past. This is CloudFlare.

image.png

I'd also highlight the Digital Ocean IPO of recent times. Already discounted from their launch, and its a solid SME cloud/hosting play that I've good familiarity with. Very good chance of scaling up well or being acquired in a rapidly heating market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Ha! I forgot that boards used Cloudflare. Well if it's good enough for boards :D

It's FSLYs approach to CDN that I find attractive, shaving milliseconds off fetches (valuable valuable milliseconds), but I hear you on NETs more diverse capabilities. TBH they both look like good value, I don't think either will be sluming it in the mid-long term.

I hadn't considered Digital Ocean in the same bucket. I'll have a look at them too though, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

richie123 wrote: »
    set your buy limit low and gtc.

I would recommend doing anything but this! I had a gtc buy order set low for a stock that I completely forgot about. The stock crept down over a few weeks and then dropped 12%. I was instantly down 10% on that stock. I was sickened.

I would say gtc are only second to stop losses in the ranks of bad ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

bfa1509 wrote: »
    I would recommend doing anything but this! I had a gtc buy order set low for a stock that I completely forgot about. The stock crept down over a few weeks and then dropped 12%. I was instantly down 10% on that stock. I was sickened.

I would say gtc are only second to stop losses in the ranks of bad ideas.

I should have also said.. And always keep an eye on it:)
    Modify order if nesscessary.

Advertisement