Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's calving starting 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

jfh wrote: »
    We usually pour cold water in the ear to shock them

We put water in this lads ear, put straw up his nose. Lifted him over a gate. I'd say the calving was too hard on him

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »
    We put water in this lads ear, put straw up his nose. Lifted him over a gate. I'd say the calving was too hard on him

How's the cow?

Reggie. wrote: »
    How's the cow?

She's fine but it was pretty :eek: had to run and drop daughter to work in the middle of it all. I'd say my blood pressure was mental. Cow got up after.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

We usually pour cold water in the ear to shock them

They need air rather than water. The heart can still be going but breathing stopped. Quick short bursts into the ear,
    Any calf that water revives wasn't too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭jfh

They need air rather than water. The heart can still be going but breathing stopped. Quick short bursts into the ear,

Never heard this before, thought the idea with the water was to stimulate them to shake the head & wake up, genuinely interested in the idea of air in the ear?

• Advertisement

Never heard this before, thought the idea with the water was to stimulate them to shake the head & wake up, genuinely interested in the idea of air in the ear?

Ear connected to the airways
    Idea like CPR,
    Lamb the other day , heart was beating , mouth open , eyes not responsive, wasn't responding to water, started blowing in his ear and he came around after a few mins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Had a freak bivouac bull on Wednesday out of a 500kg cow he is easy 80kg plus and got stuck at the hips. Cow was down and the messing trying to feed the calf.
    I have been lifting her every day but wasnt expecting much.
    Today both got up themselves and the calf sucked the cow.
    I cannot express the joy that brings

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭squinn2912

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Had a freak bivouac bull on Wednesday out of a 500kg cow he is easy 80kg plus and got stuck at the hips. Cow was down and the messing trying to feed the calf.

That’s fantastic news well done! Last year we had a similar situation last year with a wee bb heifer. The calf had to be cut out of her after giving her an awful time trying to calve her. She got up 4 or 5 days afterwards lifting every day. Great feeling. You’ll enjoy looking at that wee outfit all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

grassroot1 wrote: »

That's amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Years ago after a hard jacking the calf wasn't breathing. We tried water, straw, compressing his ribs and swung him between two of us. I did mouth (mine) to nose (his) resuscitation. I cupped one hand around his mouth to seal it and the other over one nostril and kept breathing/blowing into the other for 10 or 15 times. It worked and the calf started breathing by itself. I reckoned that it was going to die so I may as well try.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Ear connected to the airways
    Idea like CPR,
    Lamb the other day , heart was beating , mouth open , eyes not responsive, wasn't responding to water, started blowing in his ear and he came around after a few mins

Eardrum is in between.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The Rabbi

The eustation tube connects the ear to the throat to balance air pressure.Blowing or water in the ear can trigger a gag or swallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I was telling our Vet at the time about the experience and he recommended that we keep a single shot of Dopram on standby. I used to keep it in the press for a "just in case" situation and if needed you would squirt it under the calves tongue. I had to use it once after and the response was immediate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Had a heifer look like calving to an AI bull yesterday morning but wasn't making progress. Handled her and she wasn't open but forcing like mad. Vet came gave her an epidural and induced her.

Last night she started forcing and so off I went this time calf was ready so tried the jack but I wasn't happy with her so said f it rang vet. By the time he came 30 mins or so she had kinda done the splits so we shackled her and got the calf out handy enough.

Gave him an hour and he was sitting up no way would he suck so milked a few bottles about a litre or so and gave him that wrapped him in straw he was still sitting well and trying to get up that was at 1am.

Down this morning at 7 and f*cker was dead. Was it the lack of not enough beistings or what I wonder. I had a trusti tuber but I hadn't used it before and this lad looked fine.
    Ah well..life goes on and heifer is flying around

Dozer1 wrote: »
    Had a heifer look like calving to an AI bull yesterday morning but wasn't making progress. Handled her and she wasn't open but forcing like mad. Vet came gave her an epidural and induced her.

Last night she started forcing and so off I went this time calf was ready so tried the jack but I wasn't happy with her so said f it rang vet. By the time he came 30 mins or so she had kinda done the splits so we shackled her and got the calf out handy enough.

Gave him an hour and he was sitting up no way would he suck so milked a few bottles about a litre or so and gave him that wrapped him in straw he was still sitting well and trying to get up that was at 1am.

Down this morning at 7 and f*cker was dead. Was it the lack of not enough beistings or what I wonder. I had a trusti tuber but I hadn't used it before and this lad looked fine.

That’s very peculiar a calf you left all fine very annoying. I wouldn’t have thought a lack of bieslin would take him that quickly - if it did him in I’d think it would be over a few days and he’d take a chill or something. Was his breathing ok and everything? Maybe he got injured when the heifer crashed down doing the splits? It’s not so bad she’s ok at self.

Would the heifer had laid on her?

whelan2 wrote: »
    Would the heifer had laid on her?

Aye I was wondering that too. Or maybe stood on him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

had one like that and RVL diagnosed volvulus - twisted gut - a development issue in the womb.

A neighbour has said not to have too deep a straw bed as cow doesn't see sleeping calf as she lays down.

Nope cow didn't lie on him she gave him a good licking with me there. Then I made a small pen for the calf so she could only see him as vet advised she could trample him when she was wobbly. I should have had a lamp but it was an outside yard and bulb was at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    That's amazing.

Only the second time ever I have seen a paralysed cow get up TBH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

The two from Friday, difficult to get a photo of the blue as he's so dark. Have the lamp off him today. Little heifer is a bit bigger than I expected off LM2014 but flying it, future cow I reckon.

ljW1WXEl.jpg?1
    BL3Gv1ql.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

One last night, nice Knell heifer of AAx 3rd Calver. Nice long calf. 281 days

This morning then Lodge hamlet bull of HEx 2nd Calver. Carried 290 days.

All calved themselves and up sucking within 15min.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Wouldn't be lack of Beisting, the calf would live for a few days without getting some as long as it was dry and warm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭minerleague

Easy to say I know but there was no need to rush in tubing the calf after 1 hour, try to let them get up themselves or help them to stand, often left them 2 or 3 hours (or more ) after a hard calving and never did them any harm. Most will make some effort to suck but you have to be there just then or they mightnt have energy to go twice

Something wrong with his gut, one of those things .

Thanks all he was in an outside place so I gave him every chance thought once he was trying to get up I'd give him a small feed. its one of those things once the heifer goes right I'll not worry too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭endainoz

Thanks all he was in an outside place so I gave him every chance thought once he was trying to get up I'd give him a small feed. its one of those things once the heifer goes right I'll not worry too much.

Those "at birth tubes" can be handy to give them if they haven't sucked and you want to go to bed, gives them a good dose of vitamins but as poster above said likely something wrong with the calf anyway. It likely wouldn't have made any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭endainoz

The two Droimeanns calved in the last week! The white one was a heifer and the black one was the first bull this year. Apparently the Droimeann bulls can bring the dark colours sometimes and while neither have the supermodel looks of their roan sister, they're both alive and healthy so I'm happy with them. Both needed a little assistance but nothing too difficult. Plenty of lmx cows to go yet to bring those nice colors though.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

A dbz bull call 10 days over, knuckle caught, straightened and big pull. Cow was down for a while but up now, calf making a few goes to stand but is unable. Have him propper up but is very thrown down after he tries to stand. Have couple ltrs gone into him.
    2 after a shot for pain off vet.
    Cow calved a hefier off same bull last year 4 days shorter. Fingers crossed.
    This was a hard one one all involves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Just copped the a calf 10 days old drinking the other cows in the pen, they are all due to calve this week.

Is this going to make a mess of their beastigns now?
    Was amazed by how well she had come on since born.

Advertisement