Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Actors

Options

Comments

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    I think Amanda Schull from suits (Katrina) is a terrible actor.
    Non of the case are great but she is terrible

I don't know, I get the feeling that she was told to be weird, for when she was Litt's protégée . When she goes to Zane's firm you see her much more normal acting and she was not that weird in the episodes as a DA either

I've not seen 12 Monkeys, she was in that too yeah? What was she like there?

And none of the cast? You leave Gina Torres alone and "Wash" out your mouth...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

A lot of the actors being named here aren't "bad". They're just glorified character actors. They play a particular character in every film they appear in, such as John Wayne or Clint Eastwood. Even Harrison Ford is a character actor. Meaning they have a very limited range and a character they are comfortable in. But what they do with that limited range and the roles they carefully select suit them and they can elevate a film merely by doing their shtick, as we can clearly see especially with the likes of someone like Eastwood or Kevin Kostner. They're really just playing a version of themselves, which is basically par the course for the majority of film actors.

A bad actor is someone who can't act in the role they've been given, such as Keanu Reeves, or in some cases roles they've given themselves, like Neil Breen who has to be seen to be believed.

The reality, though, is that there are few actors that can inhabit a role so completely that they seem to change from film to film. Someone like Daniel Day Lewis throws himself into a part and "becomes" that person for a limited time, so seeing him in 'My Left Foot', 'Lincoln' or 'There Will Be Blood' is like watching very different people. Or looking at Sean Penn in 'Casualties of War' or in 'Carlito's Way'. While both characters are nasty little ****s there are so in very different ways. Or take Meryl Streep in 'The Deer Hunter' or 'The Post' where she plays two vastly different people very convincingly. Each example is an actor who had tried to become the person that is demanded of the role.

On the other hand, someone like Charles Bronson just turns up with his charismatic attributes and says his lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Losendos wrote: »
    Closer to home, the late Mick Lally was a wonderful actor, whom I was lucky enough to see many times on stage.

Anyone who only knew him from the travesty that was Glenroe, would probably not hold him in high regard as an actor.

Speaking of which, his daughters in that show were the worst child actors I've ever seen in anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Losendos

As far as I know, none of his children followed him into the profession.

Acting talent isn't necessarily hereditary, although you wouldn't know that from the various mini dynasties of acting families that have sprung up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Losendos wrote: »
    As far as I know, none of his children followed him into the profession.

Acting talent isn't necessarily hereditary, although you wouldn't know that from the various mini dynasties of acting families that have sprung up.

He meant the people playing his daughters, not his actual daughters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Sakana

I'd have said Morgan Freeman before I'd seen Street Smart. He is a scary man in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Johnny Depp
    Tried too watch Black Mass a few months ago but the make up was too off putting
    Yeah the makeup was petty bad but his performance was easily the best in years. Chilling.

mesmerising, maybe it was the contacts he was wearing but my god what a performance easily his best..he should do more

• Registered Users Posts: 60,426 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Joel Kinnaman I know English isn't his first language however he is just awful.

Jai Courtney as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Sakana

Jai Courtney as well.

A human hamburger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Homelander

I actually agree with Jai Courtney and have always found him horrible but I really like Joel Kinnaman.

He's great in For All Mankind and Altered Carbon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Anyone said Adrian Dunbar yet? Don't know if it's his accent or what, but he always sounds like he's just reading his lines

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Anyone said Adrian Dunbar yet? Don't know if it's his accent or what, but he always sounds like he's just reading his lines

You shut your whore mouth!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Tom Cruise can definitely act. He's just more interested in brand Cruise than the craft of acting. He was superb in Magnolia.

Tom Cruise is a good actor in my opinion even though I wouldn't be into many of his films. He was brilliant in Minority Report and Magnolia.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TheRef

I'm shocked with so many of the names people are putting out. It seems the tone seems to be that either they are one of the the best actors in the world or they are a bad actor.

The only name I've seen listed in the scan of the thread I would agree with is Steven Segal.

I'll add Jaden Smith, but (adult) Abigail Breslin is top of the list.

Abigail played Little Rock in Zombieland: Double Tap and I think this is the only half decent movie I can recall where a main character shows absolutely zero ability to act.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

TheRef wrote: »
    I'm shocked with so many of the names people are putting out. It seems the tone seems to be that either they are one of the the best actors in the world or they are a bad actor.

The only name I've seen listed in the scan of the thread I would agree with is Steven Segal.

I'll add Jaden Smith, but (adult) Abigail Breslin is top of the list.

Abigail played Little Rock in Zombieland: Double Tap and I think this is the only half decent movie I can recall where a main character shows absolutely zero ability to act.

She's good in Once upon a time in Hollywood

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Tom Cruise is a good actor in my opinion even though I wouldn't be into many of his films. He was brilliant in Minority Report and Magnolia.

born on the fourth of july was easily his best, and he should have won an oscar for it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

fryup wrote: »
    born on the fourth of july was easily his best, and he should have won an oscar for it

It was a great performance and Oscar worthy but he was unfortunate to come up against Daniel Day Lewis in My Left Foot which was a level above and a deserved winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Was she in Once upon a time in hollywood?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Are you thinking of Dakota Fanning?

• Advertisement

Relikk wrote: »
    Are you thinking of Dakota Fanning?

Might be right, young girl that Pitt takes out to the ranch?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Might be right, young girl that Pitt takes out to the ranch?

Andie MacDowells young one, Margaret Qualley?

Andie MacDowells young one, Margaret Qualley?

My mistake, whatever notion I had that she was in it, I

If you can name good cage films happy to listen.

Peggy Sue got Married

If you can name good cage films happy to listen.

Seriously?

Moonstrick
    Face/Off
    Adaption
    Leaving Las Vegas - For which he won an oscar.
    Raising Arizona
    Lord of War

That's just a few that spring to mind

murpho999 wrote: »
    Seriously?

Moonstrick
    Face/Off
    Adaption
    Leaving Las Vegas - For which he won an oscar.
    Raising Arizona
    Lord of War

That's just a few that spring to mind

Wild at heart.......he NAILED that one......love that movie

Wild at heart.......he NAILED that one......love that movie

Yes, another one.

I think the problem is that some people can't seem to distinguish between bad films and bad acting.

Every good actor has made a bad film.

Jason Manford turned up in an episode of Death in Paradise, that was bad acting

Dougal, theres another one who sounds like he's just reading lines for the first time... he was brilliant in father Ted, but Death in Paradise, that super-hero one, my family I think it was called, just seemed like an actor reading lines rather than an actual character

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Anyone who thinks Colm Meaney is a bad actor needs to see Layer Cake... he really shines as Gene.

Plus great cast Michael Gambon, Daniel Craig, George Harris , Burn Gorman, the Duke and of course... Sienna Miller ]:)

(Yes I copied it from IMDB :D)
    If you liked Snatch, Lock Stock etc, you have to see this film.

He was the best actor in gangs of London too

• Advertisement

I don't watch Mission Impossible because Cruise is in them.

Plenty of people do, though. Star power is a real thing.

Advertisement