Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Actors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Penn wrote: »
    Brad Pitt is a fantastic actor. Fight Club, The Assassination of Jesse James, Moneyball...

He doesn't always pick great roles which suit him, but when he does he's one of the best.

He was excellent in the assassination of Jesse James, his greatest performance in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Dobbytoes wrote: »
    3lgs0d.jpg

I agree. A complete plank.

scooby77 wrote: »
    I dunno, I think he manages to convey a complex range of meaning and emotions in some very popular films using only his speaking voice and three simple words...
    "I am Groot!" :-)

Iron Giant, literally enough said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

murpho999 wrote: »
    Did you actually watch him in the show?

He was one of the main characters in DS9 and he played the part very well

If you look at how his character developed in Star Trek The Next Generation and then became a main role in DS9 then you'd see it was by no means a a token Irish character but a key part of the entire show.

In other roles he was good in The Damned United and I also enjoyed him in "Parked", a small Irish film.

He could not be described as a bad actor.

He was brilliant in the Snapper. But you lose all credibility if Deep Space 9 is your yardstick for acting.
    Rubber faced nonsense.

He was brilliant in the Snapper. But you lose all credibility if Deep Space 9 is your yardstick for acting.
    Rubber faced nonsense.

Except that Andrew Robinson, alone, blows your argument out of the water

• Advertisement

Stephen Mchattie played the ultimate smug Romulan in DS9...

Great show

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Anyone who thinks Colm Meaney is a bad actor needs to see Layer Cake... he really shines as Gene.

Plus great cast Michael Gambon, Daniel Craig, George Harris , Burn Gorman, the Duke and of course... Sienna Miller ]:)

(Yes I copied it from IMDB :D)
    If you liked Snatch, Lock Stock etc, you have to see this film.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Have to say Stallone worked and fought so hard for Rocky despite studios preferring to take the script and leave him out , that he deserves his fame :)
    First Blood is a great film. The sequels not so much.

Nighthawks was weird, when he took off his glasses he looked like he dropped 30 IQ points because you're so used to seeing him in stuff like Rocky or dumb action hero.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Anyone who thinks Colm Meaney is a bad actor needs to see Layer Cake... he really shines as Gene.

Plus great cast Michael Gambon, Daniel Craig, George Harris , Burn Gorman, the Duke and of course... Sienna Miller ]:)

(Yes I copied it from IMDB :D)
    If you liked Snatch, Lock Stock etc, you have to see this film.
    It was a game changer for Daniel.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

First Blood is a great film. The sequels not so much.

Nighthawks was weird, when he took off his glasses he looked like he dropped 30 IQ points because you're so used to seeing him in stuff like Rocky or dumb action hero.

Puts all into a genuine movie then cashed in on the franchise :)

Love first blood , if only denehey let him have his breakfast he would have saved a lot of hassle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

And should have won an Oscar for Magnolia, a truly stunning performance. He also gives a better performance than Hoffman in Rain Man.

Thank you! He acted Hoffman off the screen in that film. It's my favourite role of his.
    Cruise is a very good actor when he chooses to actually act. He's merely chosen films which require him to run very fast in recent years, rather like the route Liam Neeson has chosen to go down as he's gotten older (another actor who's wasted his talent on a string of action film fodder). It's a shame, as I really enjoy watching Tom Cruise when he's given a really good role to get his acting chops into.

My pick would be Johnny Depp. He's an overrated ham of an actor, at least over the last 15 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Danny dyer, plays the same cockney Hardman in every film

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭JayRoc

He was excellent in the assassination of Jesse James, his greatest performance in my opinion.

Hugely overlooked film

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Thank you! He acted Hoffman off the screen in that film. It's my favourite role of his.
    Cruise is a very good actor when he chooses to actually act. He's merely chosen films which require him to run very fast in recent years, rather like the route Liam Neeson has chosen to go down as he's gotten older (another actor who's wasted his talent on a string of action film fodder). It's a shame, as I really enjoy watching Tom Cruise when he's given a really good role to get his acting chops into.

My pick would be Johnny Depp. He's an overrated ham of an actor, at least over the last 15 years or so.

Mostly agree but he was immense as Whitey Bulger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Heckler

Don't really get the ragging on Depp. Ok after Sparrow there was the Hatter and such and he got a bit typecast. Have a look at his filmography. Hugely diverse roles. IMO Edward Scissorhands was his finest. Probably 10 lines in the entire movie and its a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Tried too watch Black Mass a few months ago but the make up was too off putting

Tried too watch Black Mass a few months ago but the make up was too off putting

Yeah the makeup was petty bad but his performance was easily the best in years. Chilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Rubber faced nonsense.

I think you’re just wrong.

Watched every episode last summer thanks to lockdown.

Arguably the best science fiction series I’ve ever seen with fantastic acting , plots and character development.

Your rubber faced comment is just laughable to be honest and shows disdain for the genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭MfMan

Mostly disagree. Alone among all the Hollywood pretty boys - Di Caprio, Cruise, Pitt, Damon, Affleck etc. - I think Depp is the one standout who has genuine talent and charisma. I know his life has become a car-crash, getting hooked up with that golddigger hasn't helped, but he's elevated most movies I've seen him in. Donnie Brasco being a particular favourite.

MfMan wrote: »
    Mostly disagree. Alone among all the Hollywood pretty boys - Di Caprio, Cruise, Pitt, Damon, Affleck etc. - I think Depp is the one standout who has genuine talent and charisma. I know his life has become a car-crash, getting hooked up with that golddigger hasn't helped, but he's elevated most movies I've seen him in. Donnie Brasco being a particular favourite.

Oh yeah, earlier Depp is great, it's just his later roles in recent years have been mostly meh for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Heckler wrote: »
    Don't really get the ragging on Depp. Ok after Sparrow there was the Hatter and such and he got a bit typecast. Have a look at his filmography. Hugely diverse roles. IMO Edward Scissorhands was his finest. Probably 10 lines in the entire movie and its a classic.

Nah Ed Wood is his best. His last great film and performance is probably Donnie Branco.

Except that Andrew Robinson, alone, blows your argument out of the water

Actually; thinking of the actors who were on this.

Recurring: Jeffrey Coombs, Frank Langella (Oscar Nom, Tony Win), Louise Fletcher (only Nurse Ratched), Tony Todd, Wallace Shawn

Cast: René Auberjonois, Arimin Shimerman, Meaney

And most of the rest were not at all bad.
    Most large ensemble shows would love that level of engagement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Theworldisy

I love films but i don't know why but i just think for me Cage stands out when bad actors are mentioned. Just can't warm to him. Only film i've seen him in that i taught he was good was On Frozen Ground. Just my opinion. Johnny Deep getting a few mentions. Blow, Donnie Brasco, Blackmass. Can't be having him in that category.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Theworldisy

I know it's film related this thread but i think Dev out of Coronation Street may win by a wide margin if we where including just acting in general.

I know it's film related this thread but i think Dev out of Coronation Street may win by a wide margin if we where including just acting in general.

He's bad but the moaning vicar in Emmerdale leaves him for dust

Al Hansen: Guy who replaced him was not much better...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Losendos

Soap casts tend to be fairly mixed ability, but he is in a league of his own. Whenever I see him, (my wife is a Corrie fan), I'm always astonished that someone so untalented can have a professional career.

Closer to home, the late Mick Lally was a wonderful actor, whom I was lucky enough to see many times on stage.

Anyone who only knew him from the travesty that was Glenroe, would probably not hold him in high regard as an actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I love films but i don't know why but i just think for me Cage stands out when bad actors are mentioned. Just can't warm to him. Only film i've seen him in that i taught he was good was On Frozen Ground. Just my opinion. Johnny Deep getting a few mentions. Blow, Donnie Brasco, Blackmass. Can't be having him in that category.[/Q

You must have a serious issue with Cage. He must have done a bad number on you in the past. Few days ago you put up numerous posts criticising him. Now you're back, randomly on about him again. The man has done well for himself. Won an oscar, nominated in the top or 8 or whatever it is for another film. In plenty of successful action films (Con Air, Face-off, The Rock) etc.
    If you want to pick a proper bad actor, then someone like Aaron Eckhert would fit the bill. Saw him in some detective role in a movie few nights ago. A man of many facial expressions - most of them like like he is constantly riled up about something and looks like he's about to explode.
    People name Depp, Jared Leto etc. because the acting that they do is more subdued than the likes of Pitt, DiCaprio, Cruise. I don't agree with that. I've seen Depp and Leto in many films and they can really play a variety of roles. Saw Leto in a film last night. The little things. He played a bit of a loose cannon character. He was very good. Film wasn't though.

Losendos wrote: »
    Soap casts tend to be fairly mixed ability, but he is in a league of his own. Whenever I see him, (my wife is a Corrie fan), I'm always astonished that someone so untalented can have a professional career.

Closer to home, the late Mick Lally was a wonderful actor, whom I was lucky enough to see many times on stage.

Anyone who only knew him from the travesty that was Glenroe, would probably not hold him in high regard as an actor.

The problem with Irish shows that too many of the actors are stage/pantomime actors and keep hamming too the audience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

I think Amanda Schull from suits (Katrina) is a terrible actor.
    Non of the case are great but she is terrible

Advertisement