Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

130km commute?

Options
  • 24-02-2021 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭

Would a 130km be achievable in a PHEV or EV comfortably? Currently using a Diesel and getting 40MPG...

That's the round trip BTW..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭patmac

Ioniq 28kw would be ideal for this, I have one for 2 years now on a 100km round trip and have saved about €4500 approximately, complete no brainer if you are spending your own money.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Truckermal wrote: »
    Would a 130km be achievable in a PHEV or EV comfortably? Currently using a Diesel and getting 40MPG...

That's the round trip BTW..

In a PHEV, of course. It will be 90% on petrol though.

In an EV, anything from a L40 up should do it.
    Leah 30 may but it will be too tight for comfort on a daily basis in my opinion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Leaf 30 owner coming off 104km daily commute, would not recommend 130kms for depths of Winter, too close to the bone

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Ioniq would be fine for that commute, even on a bad day in winter. One sold last week from a reputable dealer for €13900 but that was a bit of an outlier. Expect to pay at least €15k for a private sale one from 2017. This will still have a years bumper to bumper warranty left and 4 years warranty on battery and drive train

Go test drive one, try get one from a dealer and get it for a 24h test drive if you can. This helps a lot when you are new to EVs and you want to try it out properly while doing your normal commute, try if it fits the stuff you want to carry, kids car seats etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

unkel wrote: »
    Ioniq would be fine for that commute, even on a bad day in winter. One sold last week from a reputable dealer for €13900 but that was a bit of an outlier. Expect to pay at least €15k for a private sale one from 2017. This will still have a years bumper to bumper warranty left and 4 years warranty on battery and drive train

Go test drive one, try get one from a dealer and get it for a 24h test drive if you can. This helps a lot when you are new to EVs and you want to try it out properly while doing your normal commute, try if it fits the stuff you want to carry, kids car seats etc.

No need to carry anything only me! God they look awful compared to other Cars I've owned! Still though if they are comfortable and reliable I'd buy one.

• Advertisement

It's no BMW / Audi in the looks department :p

And it's a FWD econobox with a cheap enough interior. Not a driver's car either but an excellent, reliable and very comfortable car all the same. Go drive one and you might agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

No need to carry anything only me! God they look awful compared to other Cars I've owned! Still though if they are comfortable and reliable I'd buy one.

their looks are certainly up for debate, however there are perfect for your use case. In addition, and this is a personal opinion, there are very comfortable and enjoyable to drive. Our "other car" is a bmw 530e and I personally prefer driving the ioniq. If you can find a UK import of a "premium SE" it's got slightly higher specs, but a spedo primarily in mph.
    I would also look at a Leaf 40 which would easily do what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

The ioniq with 28kWh would reliably do that commute or a 40kWh battery of another car.
    The ioniq typically has 160km at least range in all weathers and all speeds, however there are some downsides:

You are leaving it tight with only 30km range spare. If you need to go shopping in evening, or visit a friend, you are close to running out every winter evening.

If you want to go on a weekend trip beyond range, as in more than 80km from home, you need to publically charge in order to make it back home again. Public chargers are often busy, broken and blocked and there are not that many 40kW+ chargers that you need versus the solder 7kW (for ioniq) typical public charger.

Ideally you need access to a second car for long trips for a stress free life. Another option is a car with bigger battery say 60kW+ which gives you possibly 300+km range, but on trips beyond 150km from home you need to publicly charge and a bigger battery takes lomnger to fill, so might be 1 hour stop.

If you do switch to EV go in with eyes wide open, fuel savings can be 2,000 per year, versus diesel, but public chargers and lack of them is an issue. Try not to public charge regularly and you should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The secret weapon of EVs is that even the cheapest of them have a level of driving comfort that's way, way above comparable petrol/diesel cars. Doing away with the idea of having gears is probably the biggest boost.

Gumbo wrote: »
    Leah 30 may but it will be too tight for comfort on a daily basis in my opinion.

Currently doing 100km daily round trip in a Leaf40
    Min usage 40% max 51%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I did it in a leaf24 (with home and work charging) , and an ioniq28 with just work charging, I never plugged in at home! Even in the depths of winter on the motorway at 120+ , the Ioniq will always do 130km with room to spare.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

My absolute worst range was driving uphill in a winter storm with a headwind, the Ioniq only managed 145km that day. We made it home on turtle mode :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

L40, Ioniq, BMWi3 (94ah), Low battery sized kona, Niro, e-soul, Zoe 40 would all comfortably do that.
    I had the L30 and agree with others it'd be a bit tight on very cold wet winters day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

[Ioniq].God they look awful compared to other Cars I've owned!

The non white Ioniqs look OK, especially with the front wrapped & privacy glass (2019 models), or tinted.

j4yFh9q.jpg
    StmK421.jpg
    6OPec4v.jpg

OK it's me again what's your thoughts on the Leaf offer with 0% finance and the €4000 scrappage?

Clocked my journey and it's 110KM I am sick of diesel and all the hassle of old Cars.

How much electricity would it use? I work for a very good employer and I've been told they would install a charge point at work.

Why is one Leaf so much more expensive?

Also the guy with the 530E how far does it go in just EV mode?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If you're looking new then there is also the Ioniq38kWh car, Kia have some offers going on scrappage and with that car you are looking at circa 290kms range so you will easily get two days commute with one charge.
    Folk are going to come on here soon and say this car has poor rapid charging which it has (compared to the Ioniq28 previously mentioned) but this "poor" rapid charging is very comparable to the poor rapid charging of the new Leaf you are also looking at.

If you are looking new I would take an Ioniq38 over a Leaf42 any day of the week, the Ioniq beats the Leaf IMHO

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Charging time makes no difference because I'll be Home for at least 11 hours every day.

Only thing that turns me off Hyundai is local dealers are a shower of *****...

Kearys BTW..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

OK it's me again what's your thoughts on the Leaf offer with 0% finance and the €4000 scrappage?

So whats your on-the-road price? And what trim level is that for.... SV, SVE?

While the 0% might be enticing you should look at the other cars in that price range also.... e208, Corsa-e, ID.3, Ioniq etc

Any preference on style/size of car? Budget?
    How much electricity would it use?

Guideline figures only since it depends on the car, driving conditions and the weight of your right foot...

22kWh/100km @7c/kWh --> €1.70 for 110km's.
    Clocked my journey and it's 110KM... I work for a very good employer and I've been told they would install a charge point at work.

With a daily commute of 110km you will save a small fortune on diesel (~€2k per year). If the employer makes good on his promise you will save even more. You are an ideal candidate for a BEV.
    Why is one Leaf so much more expensive?

There are two Leaf's.... 40kWh and 62kWh. Is that what you are referring to?

Obviously the 62kWh goes further!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,800 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

slave1 wrote: »
    If you're looking new then there is also the Ioniq38kWh car, Kia have some offers going on scrappage and with that car you are looking at circa 290kms range so you will easily get two days commute with one charge.
    Folk are going to come on here soon and say this car has poor rapid charging which it has (compared to the Ioniq28 previously mentioned) but this "poor" rapid charging is very comparable to the poor rapid charging of the new Leaf you are also looking at.

If you are looking new I would take an Ioniq38 over a Leaf42 any day of the week, the Ioniq beats the Leaf IMHO

Would you buy that over an ID3 at €34K?

Edit: The ID3 Family is €38,500 but is available at 1.9% PCP so the difference in rates between the VW and the Hyundai might mean your monthly payments are similar.

There are three lower spec models of the ID3 as well that are cheaper than the Family Spec with the Life €33,090 on the configurator. The Life is actually available at 0.9% PCP for stock cars as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Clocked my journey and it's 110KM I am sick of diesel and all the hassle of old Cars.

Also the guy with the 530E how far does it go in just EV mode?

530e wouldn't be a good choice for your usage pattern IMO - go full BEV. That said, it'll do anywhere from 25km (winter/cold etc.) to 50km (summer, warm, low average speed etc.).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Over the next 6 weeks I will have 110km return trip 5 days a week, 80% at motorway speed. This morning was my first trip - used 29% in my eSoul. Would certainly not attempt it anymore in my 30kWh Leaf. There are some 39kWh eNiro and eSouls knocking about and I’d say they are a much better value than a 40kwh Leaf...

peposhi wrote: »
    Over the next 6 weeks I will have 110km return trip 5 days a week, 80% at motorway speed. This morning was my first trip - used 29% in my eSoul. Would certainly not attempt it anymore in my 30kWh Leaf. There are some 39kWh eNiro and eSouls knocking about and I’d say they are a much better value than a 40kwh Leaf...

Yes but those 39kWh cars charge very slowly on DC, same as the "Ioniq" 38.

The esoul/eniro/kona 64 are perfect for that trip.

peposhi wrote: »
    Over the next 6 weeks I will have 110km

Do you mean 110KM each way ?
    Our leaf40 does the same trip every day since it was new.
    100km a day, basically 50km at 100kph and 50km at 120kph.
    Heat at 20c , preheated in the mooring off the mains and battery preheat in the evening.

average KW/100 over the last 18,000km is 17.5kw/100km
    Leave with 100% and get home with between 48%-60% winter/summer .

If the roads are quite its easy to use more juice.

-just noticed I had already replied to this !

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-2018/27476903

Any thoughts on this Leaf? I can get a brand new one in SVP spec for 28000..

Don't buy a new one.
    That 2018 should do the trip ok-ish, same as the Ioniq28

ELM327 wrote: »
    Don't buy a new one.
    That 2018 should do the trip ok-ish, same as the Ioniq28

Why not a new one?

Why not a new one?

The leaf is old tech, it uses chademo and has no active cooling. It will (and has already to some extent) depreciate like a stone.

It's like buying a blackberry phone when everyone else is just getting their hands on the first iPhones.

Someone was linking to a brand new Leaf 40kWh for €25k here last week. Try find the link. That's a lot of car for the money if you can live with the shortcomings of the Leaf (inefficient, obsolete and very slow fast charging, higher than typical depreciation), which doesn't seem to bother most owners. Personally I would wait until the base model ID.3 comes out which won't be an awful lot more money than that and it is a far superior offering. Unless you have more than 2 kids, then it's just too small in the back.

• Advertisement

Great car, great price.

Advertisement