Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will the Rovers ever Return? Your pub megathread, Part 2 - threadbans in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Yeah.

Ya they have since this started .

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

But your argument is based on the assumption that we will not be vaccinated. So, if we are fully-vaccinated, do you think we will be in lockdown again? And if so, what would the reason for this be, if we are fully-vaccinated?

I'm nearly 100% certain Leo Varadkar said that the government will be monitoring the flu this winter to see if we need to be lockdown again.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭mikekerry

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    I'm nearly 100% certain Leo Varadkar said that the government will be monitoring the flu this winter to see if we need to be lockdown again.

In fairness anything leo says you can take with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Yester

mikekerry wrote: »
    In fairness anything leo says you can take with a pinch of salt.

Tequila?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,881 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Officially a year today since the pubs as we knew them shut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭PommieBast

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Officially a year today since the pubs as we knew them shut
    Remembering how many times the old thread title needed to change due to the way the government was stringing everyone along :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭Cork2021

It’s sad really, a whole sector was made a scapegoat and are paying for it!
    I feel like I’ve lost an outlet, nothing better in my mind then going for a few pints on a Monday evening read the paper and just relax. I actually miss it terribly.
    It’s just not the same having a few bottles or cans and watching the box at home, I get no enjoyment out of it and have probably cut my alcohol consumption by 90% since March last year. (It wasn’t high in the first place) last time I had a few drinks was watching a United match at the start of February, all I had was 3 staroproman.
    My buddy runs my local, he’s at his wits end, 2 kids a wife and basically no income! Only thing going for him is his landlord halved the rent and gave him a 3 month break. He has said he’s damn lucky the landlord has his money made and isn’t gouging him whilst closed.
    He spent a serious amount of money putting in all the safety measures in place and recommissioned the kitchen so that he could serve food!
    It’s gone beyond a joke and it’s going to eventually destroy 100’s of business and cost us thousands of jobs!
    Let’s hope the Vaccination programme progresses as quickly as possible so that all these business owners and employers of thousands of staff get to open up and stay open in the near future!!

https://www.independent.ie/news/people-urged-not-to-buy-cans-and-meet-up-with-friends-on-st-patricks-day-40200891.html

"We don’t want people to be buying cans and meeting up and drinking them on St Patrick’s Day."

NPHET, aka the mothers of seven. Such carping will have the opposite of the desired effect, treating the public like scolded children breeds indifference. Slow hand clap for Ronan.

I'll be cracking a few in the comfort of my own home on Paddy's day, those who don't like that are perfectly entitled to go to hell.

Cork2021 wrote: »
    It’s sad really, a whole sector was made a scapegoat and are paying for it!
    I feel like I’ve lost an outlet, nothing better in my mind then going for a few pints on a Monday evening read the paper and just relax. I actually miss it terribly.
    It’s just not the same having a few bottles or cans and watching the box at home, I get no enjoyment out of it and have probably cut my alcohol consumption by 90% since March last year. (It wasn’t high in the first place) last time I had a few drinks was watching a United match at the start of February, all I had was 3 staroproman.
    My buddy runs my local, he’s at his wits end, 2 kids a wife and basically no income! Only thing going for him is his landlord halved the rent and gave him a 3 month break. He has said he’s damn lucky the landlord has his money made and isn’t gouging him whilst closed.
    He spent a serious amount of money putting in all the safety measures in place and recommissioned the kitchen so that he could serve food!
    It’s gone beyond a joke and it’s going to eventually destroy 100’s of business and cost us thousands of jobs!
    Let’s hope the Vaccination programme progresses as quickly as possible so that all these business owners and employers of thousands of staff get to open up and stay open in the near future!!

Yeah we're not all slobbering drunk paddy's on top of each other, singing and dancing etc. I can't wait to get back to the pub without having to buy food, i miss watching the odd match and a bit of music.
    PommieBast wrote: »
    Remembering how many times the old thread title needed to change due to the way the government was stringing everyone along :(

Yeah it was disgraceful the way they were treated esp places that spend thousands on renovations only to be then told 'not yet lads not yet'

Remember this when your voting in the next election

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

https://www.independent.ie/news/people-urged-not-to-buy-cans-and-meet-up-with-friends-on-st-patricks-day-40200891.html

"We don’t want people to be buying cans and meeting up and drinking them on St Patrick’s Day."

NPHET, aka the mothers of seven. Such carping will have the opposite of the desired effect, treating the public like scolded children breeds indifference. Slow hand clap for Ronan.

I'll be cracking a few in the comfort of my own home on Paddy's day, those who don't like that are perfectly entitled to go to hell.

Doesn't matter what nphet say at this stage as no one is listening any more. Take away pints will be the norm again as soon as the weather picks up which is starting. the end game is near for nphet and the government. It is going to be interesting to see our showers response when Northern Ireland opens up. They will probably ask them to stay shut till we all get the jab down here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭Cork2021

What I’d love right now, walk to the pub (15min walk) especially in this weather cool crisp night. Get to the pub give the barman abuse (messing) then get my cold pint of Bud( I know it’s piss to some but not to me) sit at the bar in my usual spot read the paper, if a match is on throw a fiver on some stupid corner count or something and that gives me a bit of interest If United aren’t playing. Bag of peanuts at half time and just talk utter tripe to the lads that are usually there on a Monday!
    No drama, no messiness just good pints with good company (most of the time)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

Cork2021 wrote: »
    What I’d love right now, walk to the pub (15min walk) especially in this weather cool crisp night. Get to the pub give the barman abuse (messing) then get my cold pint of Bud( I know it’s piss to some but not to me) sit at the bar in my usual spot read the paper, if a match is on throw a fiver on some stupid corner count or something and that gives me a bit of interest If United aren’t playing. Bag of peanuts at half time and just talk utter tripe to the lads that are usually there on a Monday!
    No drama, no messiness just good pints with good company (most of the time)

Jesus. I don't watch football, drink bud or eat peanuts. But that sounds like heaven.

Would it not of been easier for the government if they prohibited the selling of takeaway pints. That way they wouldn't have to worry or keep saying 'you can forget about takeaway pints' etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,862 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Would it not of been easier for the government if they prohibited the selling of takeaway pints. That way they wouldn't have to worry or keep saying 'you can forget about takeaway pints' etc

And how do you propose they do that?

hynesie08 wrote: »
    And how do you propose they do that?

Close all places selling them, that easy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,862 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Close all places selling them, that easy

And how far do you think that would get in court?

"yes your honor, we decided that these businesses can sell alcohol in sealed containers for consumption off the premises, but these other businesses selling the exact same thing but in a slightly different sealed container cannot"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Dickie10

fin12 wrote: »
    This government doesn’t do rational . Just wait and see , there will be a lockdown again in winter.

i think if this was on the cards come october then you would have hundreds of thousands on the streets of every town in ireland not just dublin. pubs and shops would stay open and the gardai would be forced to try and gain entry to close them can you imagine the scenes, total civil disobediance would brak out this is from someone who rarely ever supports protesters. imagine gardai in a small town with shops and say 10 pubs , closeing pubs then they open 2 hrs later this sort of thing. gardai would actually not do it, they would refuse or simply go to ground, they couldnt possibly go around putting out those fires all day every day , it would take 3 days max before the government would recant. there would be just no hope, prob garda union would make thier members go on strike or blue flue if asked to do that. dont be naive to think the ordinary people would lie down and take that type of half communist , crazy **** that would ruin the economy completely. the majority of people (myself included) fully support bing in level5 at the moment and imo until may. when we should have a lot of vulnerable vaxxed. crazy to open now. but no reason for many restrictions once over 65s are vaxxed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i think if this was on the cards come october then you would have hundreds of thousands on the streets of every town in ireland not just dublin. pubs and shops would stay open and the gardai would be forced to try and gain entry to close them can you imagine the scenes, total civil disobediance would brak out this is from someone who rarely ever supports protesters. imagine gardai in a small town with shops and say 10 pubs , closeing pubs then they open 2 hrs later this sort of thing. gardai would actually not do it, they would refuse or simply go to ground, they couldnt possibly go around putting out those fires all day every day , it would take 3 days max before the government would recant. there would be just no hope, prob garda union would make thier members go on strike or blue flue if asked to do that. dont be naive to think the ordinary people would lie down and take that type of half communist , crazy **** that would ruin the economy completely. the majority of people (myself included) fully support bing in level5 at the moment and imo until may. when we should have a lot of vulnerable vaxxed. crazy to open now. but no reason for many restrictions once over 65s are vaxxed.

We will be in full on lockdown 5 for 6 months by mid May if we aren’t on the streets and doing all that by now, can’t see anything happening when they shut down the place in winter again. I’ve just no hope left , I mean listen to how they talk about even summer, may be outdoor dining... like how else are u supposed to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Has there ever been a conversation in this country about how much this will all cost when the bill finally lands on the taxpayers mat? all the businesses that have gone to the wall, and all the resulting unemployment, all the pup and other payments already made and ongoing, the recalibration that will certainly happen, the way the government has spent money with abandon some of it to enrich their cronies who never lose even in a crisis or a financial depression . they cant keep printing euros out in frankfurt for ever, sooner or later the people will have to pay, one way or another

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

It was exactly a year on sunday sine I had my last grogans pint and toasty, its been a shockingly long year for publicans and patrons alike.

My god id love a pint and a toasty now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Dickie10 wrote: »

You'd have thought the same a year ago if someone told you they'd keep the public locked up a year later and intend to continue to do so even after all those at risk are vaccinated, yet here we are, obedience and curtain twitching are still the name of the game.

Don't know why you think lockdowns 5 and 6 would any different to 3 or 4, all they need to do is throw out some bollox about a variant and it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

Has there ever been a conversation in this country about how much this will all cost when the bill finally lands on the taxpayers mat? all the businesses that have gone to the wall, and all the resulting unemployment, all the pup and other payments already made and ongoing, the recalibration that will certainly happen, the way the government has spent money with abandon some of it to enrich their cronies who never lose even in a crisis or a financial depression . they cant keep printing euros out in frankfurt for ever, sooner or later the people will have to pay, one way or another

Not the governments concern. They only focus on short term policy whatever the cost. Be up to some other governemnt formation in the future to worry about costs. Current government will be well insulated with their TD/public sector pension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

fin12 wrote: »
    We will be in full on lockdown 5 for 6 months by mid May if we aren’t on the streets and doing all that by now, can’t see anything happening when they shut down the place in winter again. I’ve just no hope left , I mean listen to how they talk about even summer, may be outdoor dining... like how else are u supposed to think.

Nobody protested the lockdowns when they were introduced because they were necessary at the time. Likewise, if restrictions are necessary next winter, there would be little resistance.

If they’re not necessary then there would be significant opposition - there would have been opposition if the lockdowns the necessary in December too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Dickie10

thak god in some ways for EU and Britain for being half decent set ups. The EU will stop giving us money if they see us at any mad cap antics like closing down businesses in winter for a flu and Britian will be fully open so by july its going to be a full scale migration up north for tourism and hospitality, the same with people heading to London and Liverpool etc in late summer and autumn. the government can shut businesses and not give them PUP, and they just dont have the money to do that. what makes people think the flu will be that bad next winter anyway? surely there will still be a good hangover from covid even up to december of people wearing masks and washing hands more than they used to, that would be enough to bring flu down a good bit.

Nobody protested the lockdowns when they were introduced because they were necessary at the time. Likewise, if restrictions are necessary next winter, there would be little resistance.

If they’re not necessary then there would be significant opposition - there would have been opposition if the lockdowns the necessary in December too.

Why in the name of god would we need restrictions next winter if the majority of the people are vaccinated.
    How long do you think the remaining busineses left in the country can keep closing and reopening like this.
    Has there ever in history been this type draconian lockdowns for a virus?
    Seriously if people want to stay inside stay at home and worry about the virus let normal people get back to living.

mikekerry wrote: »
    Why in the name of god would we need restrictions next winter if the majority of the people are vaccinated....

Same reasons they were necessary this winter -because covid is seasonal and it got out of hand with restrictions in place.

Next winter, with around 65% with the population vaccinated, we may or may not be able to avoid restrictions.

My point was that if they’re necessary then people will obviously go along with them. If they’re not necessary then they won’t impose restrictions. If t hey impose restrictions when they’re obviously not necessary then there would be significant opposition - unlike the last 3 lockdowns where people went along with them because they were necessary.

If restrictions are necessary, then we’re pubs fit in would remain to be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Same reasons they were necessary this winter -because covid is seasonal and it got out of hand with restrictions in place.

Next winter, with around 65% with the population vaccinated, we may or may not be able to avoid restrictions.

My point was that if they’re necessary then people will obviously go along with them. If they’re not necessary then they won’t impose restrictions. If t hey impose restrictions when they’re obviously not necessary then there would be significant opposition - unlike the last 3 lockdowns where people went along with them because they were necessary.

If restrictions are necessary, then we’re pubs fit in would remain to be seen.
    In my opinion, if 65-70% of the population are vaccinated come the summer/autumn/winter, then I think it is very unlikely that restrictions will be in place, other than some understandable (for now) border controls. Afterall, what is the whole point of a vaccination program, other than to get life back to normal as possible. If restrictions are brought in under those conditions (or worse, if they think the seasonal flu warrants restrictions), then I can see a substantial backlash from people.

As you say, people have, and will, comply with restrictions as long as they are considered absolutely essential. If >70% are vaccinated, how can restrictions be justified? They are a last resort measure, not something that can be implemented on the fly every winter from now on to help alleviate a perennially mismanaged health system.

In my opinion, if 65-70% of the population are vaccinated come the summer/autumn/winter, then I think it is very unlikely that restrictions will be in place, other than some understandable (for now) border controls. Afterall, what is the whole point of a vaccination program, other than to get life back to normal as possible. If restrictions are brought in under those conditions (or worse, if they think the seasonal flu warrants restrictions), then I can see a substantial backlash from people.

As you say, people have, and will, comply with restrictions as long as they are considered absolutely essential. If >70% are vaccinated, how can restrictions be justified? They are a last resort measure, not something that can be implemented on the fly every winter from now on to help alleviate a perennially mismanaged health system.

The purpose of the vaccination programme is to get back to normal through achieving herd immunity. The numbers estimated for herd immunity were 70-85%. If we vaccinate 65% of the population by winter then we might get away with it and not need restrictions but that's not certain. The fact that we likely won't be able to start vaccinating the under 18s before winter means we likely won't achieve 70-85% total population vaccination next winter. The following winter will be a different story as the vaccine will be approved for children by then so we can achieve herd immunity unless lots of people refuse to get vaccinated.

It's important to vaccinate the old and vulnerable but herd immunity is the goal as it will mean we likely won't need restrictions from that point on. It's interesting how some people have decided we don't need herd immunity once they realised we wouldn't reach herd immunity. The fact is that we'll likely get close to herd immunity next winter so it remains uncertain whether we'll get away without restrictions or not.

The purpose of the vaccination programme is to get back to normal through achieving herd immunity. The numbers estimated for herd immunity were 70-85%. If we vaccinate 65% of the population by winter then we might get away with it and not need restrictions but that's not certain. The fact that we likely won't be able to start vaccinating the under 18s before winter means we likely won't achieve 70-85% total population vaccination next winter. The following winter will be a different story as the vaccine will be approved for children by then so we can achieve herd immunity unless lots of people refuse to get vaccinated.

It's important to vaccinate the old and vulnerable but herd immunity is the goal as it will mean we likely won't need restrictions from that point on. It's interesting how some people have decided we don't need herd immunity once they realised we wouldn't reach herd immunity. The fact is that we'll likely get close to herd immunity next winter so it remains uncertain whether we'll get away without restrictions or not.
    Where have you seen that?

Where have you seen that?

They’ve been the numbers since early on. I don’t have a source. I’m open to correction if the estimates have been updated.

• Advertisement

They’ve been the numbers since early on. I don’t have a source. I’m open to correction if the estimates have been updated.
    That's fair enough. I initially heard 65-70% being quoted. But, again, don't have a source. But this comes back to justification and public goodwill. I find it very difficult to envisage a situation where we will have compliance with restrictions if we have ~70% vaccinated. People just won't buy into it

That's fair enough. I initially heard 65-70% being quoted. But, again, don't have a source. But this comes back to justification and public goodwill. I find it very difficult to envisage a situation where we will have compliance with restrictions if we have ~70% vaccinated. People just won't buy into it
    I think it will come down to the same factors as Christmas. If the virus is out of control and the numbers are going haywire, then people would go along with it.

The vaccinated population means the number of transmissions won’t be the most important number anymore, but the hospitalisation and death will be important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

With this weather its time to reopen pubs, outdoordining,takeaways etc.....

pottokblue wrote: »
    With this weather its time to reopen pubs, outdoordining,takeaways etc.....

Weather is fickle at this time of year. They’re waiting for April and May to reopen for that reason amongst others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Weather is fickle at this time of year. They’re waiting for April and May to reopen for that reason amongst others.

You can forget about takeaway pints til July at the earliest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭giveitholly

There will be people drinking takeaway pints tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

They're are pubs currently offering takeaway pints.

It's perfectly legal. Though frowned upon

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Really because you can get them now. It's legal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I agree with you no sooner than July.......https://www.newstalk.com/news/fears-dublin-city-will-be-packed-on-patricks-day-amid-spike-in-takeaway-pints-1164848

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seansouth36

Had takeaway pints by the Dodder in Ringsend the weekend before last. Me and the GF sat on our own on the grass, lovely day for it. Lots of places are doing takeaway pints, so not sure what you mean.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0316/1204319-alcohol-pricing/

There's a huge amount of sense in what is being said by this Minister I have to say. Disappointing that these loopholes weren't closed which is going to allow people to take the piss tomorrow.

"Minister of State Patrick O'Donovan has urged people to "drown the shamrock with water" on St Patrick's Day instead of alcohol. The Minister of State at the Office of Public Works urged people to stay at home tomorrow.

Mr O'Donovan said it was a "massive failure" that the sale of alcohol was not "dealt with" before Christmas.

Speaking on RTÉ's Today with Claire Byrne, the Limerick TD said he believes the country paid "a very dear price" for not addressing the volume of alcohol that could be purchased, as well as the trading hours of off-licences."

There's a huge amount of sense in what is being said by this Minister I have to say. Disappointing that these loopholes weren't closed which is going to allow people to take the piss tomorrow.

"Minister of State Patrick O'Donovan has urged people to "drown the shamrock with water" on St Patrick's Day instead of alcohol. The Minister of State at the Office of Public Works urged people to stay at home tomorrow.

Mr O'Donovan said it was a "massive failure" that the sale of alcohol was not "dealt with" before Christmas.

Speaking on RTÉ's Today with Claire Byrne, the Limerick TD said he believes the country paid "a very dear price" for not addressing the volume of alcohol that could be purchased, as well as the trading hours of off-licences."

"drown the shamrock with water" - yeah one of the most stupid comments a minister has said recently and there have been many of those.
    Up there with "stick grandpa" by the window.
    drink all the water you want, let the rest of us enjoy a drink if we want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Looking forward to my few takeaway pints tomorrow, excited actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

There are no loopholes. The law exists that allows for the sale of alcohol in a sealed container.
    Interesting that the ministers brother has a pub but he seems only concerned with off licenses/ supermarkets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Wont someone think of the children

• Advertisement

There are 2500 guards being deployed in Dublin tomorrow. I hope the same amount of pints and cans get poured down the drain if people chose to break the restrictions which are in place for all our health.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

I'm in Cork 2km from city center, no mention of 2500 guards for us ;)

There are 2500 guards being deployed in Dublin tomorrow. I hope the same amount of pints and cans get poured down the drain if people chose to break the restrictions which are in place for all our health.

Stay inside , close the curtains and turn off the lights.
    Most other people will be out in the sun getting vitamin d having a couple of drinks and enjoying themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Except their being deployed for protests.... but I'm sure you already knew that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Hoboo wrote: »
    :D Amazes me why people build a life in a place they hate and presumably work to pay to escape now and again.

Family job mortgages debt and little or no cha be of employment in a country other than here at this stage of life. It’s amazing how touchey some people get with Oireland is criticised.

• Advertisement
Advertisement