Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will the Rovers ever Return? Your pub megathread, Part 2 - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I live in north Kildare and certainty wouldn’t be heading up north on a Saturday night for the sake of a few beers and spirits.

The hassle of getting up north then finding an unfamiliar pub or nightclub (possibly sectarian) and probably dealing with hassle from locals...nahhhh

Getting home at stupid o clock would be a nightmare too.

Maybe ppl in border counties will?

Go to Derry, u won’t have any of those problems. The city is lovely and the people so friendly. What u mean getting home at stupid o clock? Surely u would book in overnight?

sabat wrote: »
    The government are terrified of reopening because they know they won't be able to close things down again.

No they will shut it down when every they want? Do u honestly think there won’t be a lockdown again next winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭hynesie08

fin12 wrote: »
    Go to Derry, u won’t have any of those problems. The city is lovely and the people so friendly. What u mean getting home at stupid o clock? Surely u would book in overnight?

3 hour drive or a 4 hour bus each way and the guts of 100 quid on a hotel for a few pints....... Enjoy but it wouldn't be for me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

thats exactly what i will be at too , plan going at least one a month or three weeks to derry, belfast, armagh . great chance to see some of those places looking forwrd to it. i presume by june it wont be hard to head over to liverpool or london if there opened?

hynesie08 wrote: »
    3 hour drive or a 4 hour bus each way and the guts of 100 quid on a hotel for a few pints....... Enjoy but it wouldn't be for me either.

Unlike u if I go to Derry or any place I’d do a lot more than just the pub. Uve obviously never been to Derry to have an attitude like that.

Joke of a post.

• Advertisement

Unlike u if I go to Derry or any place I’d do a lot more than just the pub. Uve obviously never been to Derry to have an attitude like that.

Joke of a post.

You get weirdly aggressive whenever someone even slightly disagrees with you. Maybe you should knock drinking on the head if that's your sober attitude.....

And yes I've been to Derry, gorgeous city, great football and GAA fans, very nice people. Doesn't change the fact I wouldn't be bothered heading up there for a sesh. If you're going for a staycation enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

You get weirdly aggressive whenever someone even slightly disagrees with you. Maybe you should knock drinking on the head if that's your sober attitude.....

And yes I've been to Derry, gorgeous city, great football and GAA fans, very nice people. Doesn't change the fact I wouldn't be bothered heading up there for a sesh. If you're going for a staycation enjoy.

You're all welcome for a session in Derry. Bear in mind that the pubs have been closed since October though (and only were open for a week or two before that since last March). The last night they were open when Derry allegedly had the highest infection rate in the world we had a long session and didn't bother with nonsense like table service when they were closing things anyway.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    You're all welcome for a session in Derry. Bear in mind that the pubs have been closed since October though (and only were open for a week or two before that since last March). The last night they were open when Derry allegedly had the highest infection rate in the world we had a long session and didn't bother with nonsense like table service when they were closing things anyway.

Like I said, spending 4 hours on a bus hanging is not something I have any interest in anymore, but I hope anyone who heads up has a blast, if gigs start running in Belfast before here then I'll probably find myself heading up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Yeah we are planning to do the same in July. Haven't been around the Northern coast for any length of time since I was a kid so win win! Defo would go up to Belfast for the weekend as well earlier if places are open as it's a good auld spot to go out in. Pity football will be over then and I presume the ice hockey as that's a bit of craic to go to
    I wouldn't be booking anywhere around the 12th in the North as things could get violent this year, just my advice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Who knows man, the vaccine is losing it's effectiveness at every new varient. It's already at like 70% now which is still a lot of possibilities. Now there's a problem and it's being recalled.

I want to virus to end as much as the next person but I'm starting to lose hope that the end is in sight.
    That is just factually incorrect, and I can't let such ignorance be posted unchallenged. Yes, admittedly, there does appear to be a reduction in efficacy relating to symptomatic infection with the South Africa variant, but that doesn't seem to be the case for every other new variant. Also, the vaccines are still very effective (against all variants) at preventing hospitalisations and/or deaths - which, less we forget, is the reason why we have restrictions in the first place.

Google "Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine" and "Israel", and you'll see that the vaccine is incredibly effective in the real world (with variants). In fact, it is performing even better than expected. Also lots of evidience now emerging that it reduces transmission of the virus also. This is the holy grail, we just need more of it, a lot more!

• Advertisement

No they will shut it down when every they want? Do u honestly think there won’t be a lockdown again next winter?
    If >70% of the population are vaccinated, why would there be any reason for this?

If >70% of the population are vaccinated, why would there be any reason for this?

This government doesn’t do rational . Just wait and see , there will be a lockdown again in winter.

This government doesn’t do rational . Just wait and see , there will be a lockdown again in winter.
    But why do you think so? I'm not trying to be obtuse or contrarian, but you must have a reason for thinking this way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Way things are going that in itself is a pretty big 'if'.

But why do you think so? I'm not trying to be obtuse or contrarian, but you must have a reason for thinking this way

Because that’s all they ever do lock us up. They will lift a bit in summer cases go up again and lockdown again in winter.

Because that’s all they ever do lock us up. They will lift a bit in summer cases go up again and lockdown again in winter.

Give one example of them "locking us up" pre covid?

But your argument is based on the assumption that we will not be vaccinated. So, if we are fully-vaccinated, do you think we will be in lockdown again? And if so, what would the reason for this be, if we are fully-vaccinated?

Give one example of them "locking us up" pre covid?

When did I say they locked us up pre Covid. I don’t talk to me about being aggressive , ur losing the plot with the way ur replying to me.

When did I say they locked us up pre Covid. I don’t talk to me about being aggressive , ur losing the plot with the way ur replying to me.

Yeah.

But your argument is based on the assumption that we will not be vaccinated. So, if we are fully-vaccinated, do you think we will be in lockdown again? And if so, what would the reason for this be, if we are fully-vaccinated?

A different variant or some other medical emergency that develops.

• Advertisement

Yeah.

Ya they have since this started .

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

I'm nearly 100% certain Leo Varadkar said that the government will be monitoring the flu this winter to see if we need to be lockdown again.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mikekerry

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    I'm nearly 100% certain Leo Varadkar said that the government will be monitoring the flu this winter to see if we need to be lockdown again.

In fairness anything leo says you can take with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

mikekerry wrote: »
    In fairness anything leo says you can take with a pinch of salt.

Tequila?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Officially a year today since the pubs as we knew them shut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭PommieBast

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Officially a year today since the pubs as we knew them shut
    Remembering how many times the old thread title needed to change due to the way the government was stringing everyone along :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Cork2021

It’s sad really, a whole sector was made a scapegoat and are paying for it!
    I feel like I’ve lost an outlet, nothing better in my mind then going for a few pints on a Monday evening read the paper and just relax. I actually miss it terribly.
    It’s just not the same having a few bottles or cans and watching the box at home, I get no enjoyment out of it and have probably cut my alcohol consumption by 90% since March last year. (It wasn’t high in the first place) last time I had a few drinks was watching a United match at the start of February, all I had was 3 staroproman.
    My buddy runs my local, he’s at his wits end, 2 kids a wife and basically no income! Only thing going for him is his landlord halved the rent and gave him a 3 month break. He has said he’s damn lucky the landlord has his money made and isn’t gouging him whilst closed.
    He spent a serious amount of money putting in all the safety measures in place and recommissioned the kitchen so that he could serve food!
    It’s gone beyond a joke and it’s going to eventually destroy 100’s of business and cost us thousands of jobs!
    Let’s hope the Vaccination programme progresses as quickly as possible so that all these business owners and employers of thousands of staff get to open up and stay open in the near future!!

https://www.independent.ie/news/people-urged-not-to-buy-cans-and-meet-up-with-friends-on-st-patricks-day-40200891.html

"We don’t want people to be buying cans and meeting up and drinking them on St Patrick’s Day."

NPHET, aka the mothers of seven. Such carping will have the opposite of the desired effect, treating the public like scolded children breeds indifference. Slow hand clap for Ronan.

I'll be cracking a few in the comfort of my own home on Paddy's day, those who don't like that are perfectly entitled to go to hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Cork2021 wrote: »
    It’s sad really, a whole sector was made a scapegoat and are paying for it!
    I feel like I’ve lost an outlet, nothing better in my mind then going for a few pints on a Monday evening read the paper and just relax. I actually miss it terribly.
    It’s just not the same having a few bottles or cans and watching the box at home, I get no enjoyment out of it and have probably cut my alcohol consumption by 90% since March last year. (It wasn’t high in the first place) last time I had a few drinks was watching a United match at the start of February, all I had was 3 staroproman.
    My buddy runs my local, he’s at his wits end, 2 kids a wife and basically no income! Only thing going for him is his landlord halved the rent and gave him a 3 month break. He has said he’s damn lucky the landlord has his money made and isn’t gouging him whilst closed.
    He spent a serious amount of money putting in all the safety measures in place and recommissioned the kitchen so that he could serve food!
    It’s gone beyond a joke and it’s going to eventually destroy 100’s of business and cost us thousands of jobs!
    Let’s hope the Vaccination programme progresses as quickly as possible so that all these business owners and employers of thousands of staff get to open up and stay open in the near future!!

Yeah we're not all slobbering drunk paddy's on top of each other, singing and dancing etc. I can't wait to get back to the pub without having to buy food, i miss watching the odd match and a bit of music.
    PommieBast wrote: »
    Remembering how many times the old thread title needed to change due to the way the government was stringing everyone along :(

Yeah it was disgraceful the way they were treated esp places that spend thousands on renovations only to be then told 'not yet lads not yet'

Remember this when your voting in the next election

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

https://www.independent.ie/news/people-urged-not-to-buy-cans-and-meet-up-with-friends-on-st-patricks-day-40200891.html

"We don’t want people to be buying cans and meeting up and drinking them on St Patrick’s Day."

NPHET, aka the mothers of seven. Such carping will have the opposite of the desired effect, treating the public like scolded children breeds indifference. Slow hand clap for Ronan.

I'll be cracking a few in the comfort of my own home on Paddy's day, those who don't like that are perfectly entitled to go to hell.

Doesn't matter what nphet say at this stage as no one is listening any more. Take away pints will be the norm again as soon as the weather picks up which is starting. the end game is near for nphet and the government. It is going to be interesting to see our showers response when Northern Ireland opens up. They will probably ask them to stay shut till we all get the jab down here

Advertisement