Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can't put weights down ! Fitter at 40?

• 14-03-2021 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

I'm going to track my training here in the hope of some pointers and reflection and maybe someone might benefit.

I was mainly a runner in my late 20's got into cycling outside of commuting mid 30's then eventually gave Triathlon a go about aged 38. Realised i was actually alot weaker than i thought and arms were so fatigued swimming i decided to get into weights last year.

Currently have a squat rack and barbell some kettlebells and resistance bands and pull up bar in shed/home gym.

I was following GZCLP which i found on reddit last year and have seen a lot of gains from that program but really i guess as a newbie lifter i would of made significant gains doing any plan.
    I gained alot of weight when i started actively trying to eat more but in reality it was more fat than muscle. At my lowest while i was training swim bike run daily i was walking around about 64kg i got that up to about 83kg but it was a dirty bulk and i had no real idea about calories.
    I got onto myfitness pal maybe 2 months ago now and have a much better idea of my mainteance levels and i have been cutting down. Aiming for 2250cal a day now with a 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight daily intake has taken me back down to 75kg as of 3 weeks ago. I am in much better shape now less fat and noticeable definition . This last 3 and a half weeks i have introduced creatine to my diet i'm taking 4g a day i've noticed my weight creep up from the creatine which i was expecting and don't mind i am currently at 78kg.

I've moved to a new program also found online called Jacked and tan 2.0.

I'll post my current 1 rep maxs and compare at end of program.
    All tested last week i think i can squat more but fear stopped me lowering with 120kg on bar, but i could do more than 1 rep at 115kg.

Bench 72.5kg
    Deadlift 140kg
    OHP 53kg
    Squat 115kg

I'll be training 4 days a week.

Sunday 7th March
    Day 1
    T1 Bench
    Work to a 10 rep max this was hard to judge after a few warm up sets did
    55kg x 10 ( 10 rep max)
    Then 3 sets of 6 at 46kg with last set amrap , did 6,6,12 tbh weight felt light and the program says shouldn't be doing more than 12 for amrap or you have chosen a weight thats too light. These weights are calculated off a training max on sheet which i think is 1-2 rep max i have 70 for bench maybe too light but better to be conservative.

T2 Close grip bench
    4 sets of 10 at 36kg off 2 mins fairly easy.

T2b Chest supported wide grip row
    Work to a 15 rep max and then perform 3 more max rep sets.
    Couple of warm up sets then tried 41kg x 15 which was too easy.
    moved to 46 x 15 concectrating on holding at the top of each rep for a second and squeezing felt like a fair 15 rep max.
    1 min rest between MRS
    set 2/3/4 - 11/9/7 felt the muscles had worked hard here .

T2c OHP
    Warm up then
    31 x 15
    31 x 8
    31 x 6
    31 x 5
    fairly big drop from 15- 8 i struggle with this exercise.

T3a
    Work to a 20 rep max and then perform 3 more max rep sets.
    Push ups very hard after the other exercises just made 20 on first go
    20-12-8-9 think i was mentally weak for the 8 reps done off 45 secs rest.

T3b
    Tricep band pull down
    Done with resistance bands that have weight in lbs on them
    100lbs x 20/16/11/10 all off 45 seconds.

T3c
    Bicep curl
    25kg x 20/14/9/9

Complete all in about 1 hour 15 took 2 mins between exercises maybe slighter longer if set up required but no sitting around.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

Monday 8th March

T1 Deadlift
    Work to 10 rep max
    50 x 10
    75 x 6
    80 x 5
    100kg x 10 maybe could of went heavier but fatigue from this would impact
    3 working sets of
    92.5g x 6
    92.5 x 6
    92.5 x 9 amrap

T2 Front squat
    Never done this exercise before wrists sore so moved to cross armed , just started really light pain from bar resting on my shoulders more than from squatting
    55 x 10 x 4 sets

T2b Lat Pulldown
    Performed with bands attached to a metal pole
    100lbs x 10
    120lbs x 15
    MRS of 13/10/10 off 1 min

T2c Hip Thrust
    50 x 15 then 12/10/12 off 1 min

T3a Hamstring curl bands
    One leg at a time
    20lbs x 20 then 17/14/10 same on both legs ,also first time performing this.

T3b landmine Squat into shoulder press
    30 x 20 then 14/12/10 i was getting really tired here overall for night

March 10th

T1 OHP
    Find 10 rep max
    Went wth 38.5 based off a rep max calculator
    Then working sets of
    30 x 6
    30 x 6
    30 x 12 amrap could of did more possibly

T2a incline bench press
    4 sets of 10 at 30kg way too easy will adjust next time

T2b upright row
    some warm up
    20x 10
    22.5 x 8
    25 x 15
    then 10/8/10 for the MRS

T2c landmine kneeling shoulder press single arm
    Right arm
    weight added to barbell , barbell weight not counted
    after some warm up
    11.25 x 20 then MRS of 11/8/7 big drop off here

Left arm
    the left arm is not as strong went with
    8.75 x 20 then MRS of 11/9/7

Again i think these numbers are pathetic really weak in this area.

T3a Chest fly with band
    60lbs band x 20 then MRS of 14/14/10

T3b Tricep extension banded
    OVerall general fatigue of session starting to show
    30lbs x 20 then MRS of 14/12/10

Total 1 hour 20 mins.

March 12th

T1 Squat
    Work to a 10 rep max.
    20 x 5
    40 x 10
    60 x 10
    70 x 5
    80 x 10 possibly more in tank concentrating on slow down and driving through feet at bottom.
    Working sets of
    78.5 x 6
    78.5 x 6
    78.5 x 9 amrap

T2a Deficit Deadlift
    Stood on 2 stacked 15kg plates about 3-4 inches
    68 x 10 x 4

T2b Chest supported Row - close grip
    some warm up then went at
    45 x 15 felt close ebough not to attempt more and fail
    then MRS of 10/9/7

T2c Bulgarian split squat with barbell
    First time doing this with barbell , body did'nt like it balance felt hard at start was really conservative here went with 30kg
    Right leg 30kg x 15 then MRS of 10/10/9
    Left leg 30kg x 14 then MRS of 10/10/9
    These all done with rear leg elevated on bench.

T3a Hammer curl bands
    Bands under door with attachment
    60lbs x 20 then MRS of 14/8/6

T3b Face pull bands
    60lbs x 20 then MRS of 20/17/14 don't think first attempt was a 20 max rep but near the end of these workouts fatigue is real and just want to get finished.

Completed 1 hour 10 mins

With kids and bedtimes i sometimes have to cut out an exercise or two.

I have been really really sore in the quads after this session now for 2 days of DOMS. I guess them bulgarian squats are something that works the body much harder than squats .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Patsy167

new2tri19 wrote: »
    a new program also found online called Jacked and tan 2.0.

Go to love the program names they come up with!

March 14th - Week 2
    work to a 8 rep max for T1, a 12 rep max for T2 and a 18 rep max for T3

Day 1

T1 Bench

The plan is to work to an 8 rep max but never to fail a max rep attempt so in theory you should have 1 or 2 reps left in you. After a few warm up sets i checked a rep max calculator based off last weeks 10 rep max it guessed 58.5kg . I loaded the bar up and did 8 reps wasn't a major problem maybe the last rep was slightly slow on lift but never felt i had to bring chest to bar or tense the body up - i was just lifting from my arms if that makes sense.
    So yeah pretty happy with that until i start prepping for the next work sets and realised i made such a newbie error and only had 56kg on the bar had miscounted. Meh decided not to retest the 8 rep max and just continue with workout.
    My glutes and quads are still so sore from the Bulgarian squats a couple of days ago that i actually lay on bench between sets because getting up from bench was so painful. I guess this pain is expected for a newbie lifter to upper lower splits.

Working sets were pretty straight forward with
    50kg x 5 / 5 / 10 last was amrap. Not a true amrap but i don't think you should go more than double the work sets .

T2a Close Grip Bench

I'm never sure how close a close grip should be but for me i make sure my hands are both on the clean part of the bar and not touching the knurling .
    Fairly straight forward
    38.5kg x 8 x 4 sets.
    Can feel the triceps a bit on last set. Incidentally i never feel chest sore on bench its mostly arms i feel.

T2b Chest supported Row - wide grip
    Work up to a 12 rep max and then perform 3 more max rep sets

I do this with a flat bench straddled across two wooden boxes i made i reach down and pull the barbell up till it hits underside of bench hold at top of half second and then slowly down just shy of floor and go again. I don't bounch off floor. I prefer this over bent over row as i don't need to concentrate on leg and back as much , i feel i should move to bent over row soon though as probably gives more core stability work.

My next mistake happened here , checked max rep calculator based off 15 max last week at 46kg and it gave 48.5kg as guess for 12 max rep. I forgot it was 12 reps and did 15 reps at 48.5 i guess that wasn't a true rep max last week. I'm not too hung up on exact numbers i know all my lifts are probably at a level of a 13 year old schoolgirl ! But for me it's just about progressively overloading the muscles week to week and been honest and do each rep slow and controlled with a full range of motion rather than just smashing out a big weight really fast to say i got it done.
    The next 3 Max rep sets all off 45 seconds were 10/7/8 i always try to make sure the last max rep set is not the lowest .

I'm never sure how long to take between exercises but i set a timer for 2 mins and aim to be lifting before that.

T2c Overhead press
    Work up to a 12 rep max and then perform 3 more max rep sets

Not my favourite exercise i have poor mobility and i know my elbows should be higher here but struggle wth that , i also carrying a small bit of a niggle in my shoulder from the last day of overhead press and shoulder exercises i'm thinking ill rearrange the program to have less shoulder focus and swap out for back work but its getting late so i continue with the program as programmed.
    Rep calculator gave a 32.5kg estimate so went with that got the 12 done with maybe 1 or 2 left in tank , then did 8/5/5 for the MRS.

T3a Push ups
    Work up to a 18 rep max and then perform 3 more max rep sets

I decide to skip this as my shoulder twinge is a bit more prominent now , was going to replace it but couldn't immedately think of something else to do

T3b Tricep bands- replaced with skullcrushers.
    Not an exercise ive done much of so had to figure out max rep
    Warm up
    20kg x 10 felt too light
    22.5 x 6 still a bit light but 18 could start to bite.
    decide to attempt
    25kg x 18 felt about right was struggling on the last rep , all done very controlled lowering the bar to just touch my hairline then back up keeping elbows tight.
    The 3 max rep sets 12/7/7 big drop offs but i guess thats expected.

T3c Barbell bicep curl

Calculator gave 26kg as estimate based off last weeks 25 x 20.
    I do these with my back flat against the wall so as not to cheat and get momentum with hips.
    Concentrating on full range of motion here on the down portion touching my quads and aiming to touch my fists to shoulder on top of up portion these start to hurt after a few regardless of weight i find. Manage 26 x 18 then 3 more max rep sets off 1 min ( all max rep sets are done between 45-60 seconds , i try keep it to 45 but allow up to 1min later in workouts as i fatigue more)
    Max rep sets of 13/8/9 and thats my done with a good pump.

Session complete ,briefly contemplate adding one more exercise as i skipped the push ups but again nothing comes to mind only to make a better program when i get to laptop.
    Session time 1 hour 10 mins neither happy or unhappy with workout.

Today no weights so will do 90 mins easy zone 2 on turbo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

new2tri wrote:
    T2a Close Grip Bench

I'm never sure how close a close grip should be but for me i make sure my hands are both on the clean part of the bar and not touching the knurling

I wouldn't go much narrower than shoulder width. If the grip is too narrow, then you're internally rotating your shoulders and it just increases the risk of injury. No need to go fully inside the knurling for it to be 'close grip'.

I wouldn't go much narrower than shoulder width. If the grip is too narrow, then you're internally rotating your shoulders and it just increases the risk of injury. No need to go fully inside the knurling for it to be 'close grip'.

That's interesting thanks i'll adjust to shoulder width.

The youngest in the house was up all night sick which meant no sleep so I opted for a rest day Tuesday and Lay on couch all day . Set alarm for 6am this morning as wanted to train before getting out with family .

No breakfast and off I go , looking at the program there's zero exercises here I would say I like that much but that is my aim I figure doing the ones I don't like are better for me as I must suck at them !

Week 2 day 2 Deadlift
    Week 2 calls for 8 rep max attempts for T1 , 12rep max for T2 and 18 rep max for T3's.

T1 Deadlift
    Work to 8 rep max decided to go for 110kg as last week's 10rep max was 100kg.
    Some warm up sets
    50 X10
    70 X 8
    90 X 4
    100 X 2
    Then 110kg X 8 wasn't a bother really very last rep maybe I'm slower pulling up that last bit , I think my form has improved on deadlift I try think of it as a pushing movement pushing my legs into ground keeping chest up . I'm wearing shorts and notice marks on quads as I've dragged the bar up the quads maybe that's a good sign that I'm keeping bar close to body .
    Working sets then of
    98.5x 5
    98.5x 5
    98.5 x 9 amrap

T2a Front squat
    4 sets of 10 at 60kg
    I couldnt front squat before last week, my shoulders where bruised from this exercise last time , watched a few tutorials online and really happy how this turned out .
    Warm up just the bar , walk under arms out straight and roll the bar over delts cross arms lightly feels great once I remember to keep arms high .
    4 sets of 10 @ 60kg , not a bother it's too light but I'm concerned more on form at this moment , will do this program again with more knowledge and better form , first run of program is to make mistakes and learn.

T2a Assisted pull up
    find 12 rep max and do 3 more max rep sets off 45 sec
    I chose this exercise as I felt it could help with deadlift and it's back focused . I originally had it as a t3 but I didn't fancy doing 18 reps . T2 means 12 reps .

Went with the heaviest band I had first set of 12 was tough enough maybe 1-2 left in tank , holding at top of each pull up squeezing back .
    Max rep sets of 8/5/4 I was very disappointed with this 4 pull ups assisted felt pathetic and the 5 , but maybe it's too be suspected after short rest or my strength endurance sucks anyway it was the best I had in me so that's all that matters and honest reps none of your kipling stuff !

T2b Hip thrust
    find 12 rep max and 3 more max rep sets

Not a favourite of mine.
    Load the bar up with 55kg and place a cushion between bar and hips , have to stop feel slipping out from under me starts to feel like a core exercise also as I'm holding my feet and driving through .
    Complete 12 then 3 max rep sets to 12/9/10 all off 1min

T3a lat pulldown
    work to 18rep max and 3 more max rep sets
    Doing these with bands attached to pole it can feel different how far you are away so didn't record weight of bands against last week just performed a few warm ups concentrating on full range of motion and holding at end of each rep for a second .
    I got the right stimulus 15/13/11 for max rep sets off 60sec

I'll invest in a lat pulldown machine next I think .

T3b lying hamstring curls
    work to 18 rep max and 3 more mrs
    Do these with bands attached down low to an ankle strap , again distance from door varies so I try get an honest effort .
    Get what seems like a fair 18 rep max and make 14/10/9 on right leg and 14/9/8 on left leg for the max rep sets .

T3c Hammer curls
    work to 18 rep max then 3 mrs
    Not on program but bands under door decided to do some hammer curls off 30 seconds to get a pump . Heaviest band for 18 then 14/10/8.

Completed in 1 hour 18mins
    Enjoying the program , 1 hour turbo tonight zone 2 with some short sprints .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Welcome to fitness logs. Long may you last :)

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Welcome to fitness logs. Long may you last :)

Thanks man I started reading your log earlier then got interrupted looking forward to delving into it .

Hopefully I last a while and it's not a slow demise , I like the idea of logging workouts somewhere as a form of accountability and looking back at it , am currently just using the strong app but there are just numbers there no notes.

• Advertisement

Dtp is another one of the elderly crew :pac:

Wake up at 6am , weigh myself 75.8kg I'm still losing weight at 5'11 starting to see ab definition at certain light :D , calories are 2250 a day made up of 150g minimum protein , been tracking on my fitness Pal .

I'm annoyed I missed a couple of days training a few days ago so decide to smash myself.

Week 2
    OHP day
    T1 OHP
    find 8 rep max then 3 working sets of 32.5

Last week 10 rep max was 38.5 in the theme of going hard today after some warm up reps I ambitiously try 42.5kg for 8.
    After a couple of reps I'm realising my hands are to narrow on bar , have to try throw bar up a little to regrip in better position which knocks a bit of strength but I manage 8 reps just , last rep I felt like I was arching backwards trying to get under it not ideal but couldn't stop at 7 .

Working sets of 32.5 for 5/5/11* amrap went fine.

T2A incline bench
    4 sets of 8 at 42.5kg preset weight by program
    Nothing to report last reps of each set maybe a 7/10 effort .

T2b Upright row
    find 12 rep max and then 3 mrs

Concentrating on breathing here and holding at top leading with elbows
    27.5kg X 12 /8/7/7 , rest of 45 seconds between sets.

interrupted workout to add ab work and rest shoulders

Superset
    Reverse crunch X 15
    Ankle taps X 30
    Plank 1 min
    3 rounds with 45 seconds between rounds , feel the burn so good .

T3a Seated overhead press with dumbells
    work to 18 rep max then 3 mrs

I found a set of old 10kg dumbells so decide to make use of them , went straight in for 18 reps at 10kg and it felt like a max rep set , fairly pathetic and annoyed that that's my max but that's my max today so so be it.
    3 more max rep sets of 13/9/9 all of 1 min .

T3b Dumbell chest fly
    work to 18 rep max and 3 mrs

Never done this before and figured 10kg would be way to light this wasn't on my plan but in trying the exercise with zero rest from last exercise I start to tire around 15 and just squeeze out 18.
    Again I'm feeling fairly pathetic about how weak I am at this exercise and almost embarrassed to type it out !
    I'm taking a wide hugging motion with dumbbells and squeezing at top .
    Max rep sets of 16/14/14 and dented pride and realisation that me thinking I wouldn't have enough weights in 25kg dumbbells was very optimistic :o

T3c Lateral raises
    find 18 rep max then 3 mrs

I'm getting a bit tired now over 75mins done so dont hang about with warm up reps , stand on a band and grab the 2 handles and try lead with the elbows out wide , heavier band than the 20 rep max last week so progression .
    Feels hard shoulders are tired
    18 for mrs then 16/14/14.

T3d Tricep extensions with band
    find 18 rep max then 3 mrs

Again straight into this with a heavier band than last week , standing holding the band handles behind my neck and stretching up above my head with band strapped under door .
    Just make 18 then 13/10/11 for Mrs.

Total time 1hr 28mins.
    30min run or 1hour bike later.

Moderately happy with workout humbled my 10kg dumbells though but everyone has to work to there limits can't think of what others can lift .
    Onwards ....

J&T Week 2 day 4

T1 squat
    work to 8 rep max and 3 working sets of 63.5kg
    One thing that was on my mind during the week was the squat . Shortly after I got the barbell I watched an Instagram video of a well respected cycling and triathlete Joe Skipper doing squats he was only going 1/4 way down in the squat and said triathletes and cyclists get more benefit squatting to that range because of angle of quads on bike and run .
    It made sense and I adopted that style .

The problem is I felt there was too much inconsistencies from one squat to the next trying to judge how far I've to go, so I decided to sack it off from now and revert to doing a full range of motion ass to grass or as far as I can go which a decent bit below parallel.

So yeah today was first day of proper squatting. I'd never gone fully down before so on the warm up sets of just the bar I could already tell my training max would be wrong so took time and built up to an 8 rep max of 70kg , that gave an estimated 1 rep max of 87kg and it's alot different to 115 I was squatting with half the distance .
    3 working sets to 63.5 after inputting 87kg as training max into sheet , it feels a long way up when your squatting to the floor . Legs at time wobbling as I try to push up out of the hole.
    Working sets of 5/5/8* amrap .
    I'm happy I've made the change the numbers im squatting are just arbitrary numbers I'm too old to be concerned of it's good or bad compared to others.

T2a deficit deadlift
    4 sets of 78.5 for 10 reps

4 inch deficit fairly straightforward.

T2b close grip row ,chest supported
    find 12rep max then 3 max rep sets

Based off last week's 45kg I go with 48.5kg for 12/10/8/7
    Bit of mental tiredness creeping in here starting to think of quitting the workout not feeling great today , yesterday's bike is in the legs.

T2c Bulgarian split squats
    find 12 rep max and 3 mrs

Did I mention I hate this exercise easily my most feared exercise , I watched another tutorial on this and do some warm ups without weight focusing on the queues from the video.
    32.5kg for 12 then 9/8/8 for right and left leg was same .
    All max rep sets for T2-3 are done off 45 seconds to 1 min.

T3a banded leg extension
    find 18 rep max and 3 more mrs.

Band under door attached to ankle strap , standing and stretching leg out ahead of me , heaviest band for 18/17/16/15 right leg and 18/15/14/13 left leg

T3b seated row with bands
    find 18 rep max then 3 more mrs

Keeping bands under door I gradually add more for warm up sets pulling back tensing my lats and back muscles.
    Hard to find 18 rep max do 18 with all bands attached , another set of 18 and I start moving my bench further from door to make harder 3rd set is 18 and last set of 16.

Completed in 1 hour 30 mins bang on , seems long for 6 exercises but I like to be well warmed up for squat and Bulgarian squat , very much a day for my weaknesses.

Onto week 3 tomorrow starting with bench and 6 rep max attempts. Enjoying the plan feel a bit fatigued which seems to be the general consensus on Reddit where the plan is posted people said the volume is high on the plan .
    I might drop bike I have planned for tonight allow the body to rest before tomorrow . I find the fatigue from weight lifting hits you long after exercising whereas running swimming or cycling it's instantaneous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Bulgarian split squats are a love-hate relationship for most people. It can be frustrating getting the balance and form right for every single set but when you find the perfect groove and feel every muscle moving, there are few exercises as satisfying. Tons of benefits to keeping them in the toolbox as an option.

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Bulgarian split squats are a love-hate relationship for most people. It can be frustrating getting the balance and form right for every single set but when you find the perfect groove and feel every muscle moving, there are few exercises as satisfying. Tons of benefits to keeping them in the toolbox as an option.

Cheers yeah I really like working at stuff I'm bad at and actually did kinda enjoy them yesterday I enjoyed them more that I felt like I did them really controlled.
    I just ordered myself a pair of squat shoes I was squatting in runners yesterday that I use for running and I think that was half the problem with legs shaking as the runner was too soft and cushioned and it was hard to stabilise the foot in the runner.

Week 3 Day 1

T1 Bench
    find 6rep max then 3 working sets of 52.5
    Watched an Alan Thrall tutorial then got going it was after 9pm starting .
    Warm up
    40 X 10
    50 X 5
    57.5 X 2
    Attempted 62.5 X 6 and was perfect 6 rep max , happy that my legs felt part of the lift thanks to YouTube .
    Working sets of 52.5 for 4 was really too light but this is predetermined on sheet based off training max .
    4/4/10* amrap set all of 1minute.

T2a close grip

4 sets of 6 at 42.5kg predetermined by sheet was far too easy to be productive, held the bar slightly wider than inside knurl thanks to Alf here who gave me that tip.

T2b chest dips
    work to 10 rep max then 3 max rep sets off 45 seconds

I put these in as I felt the session was getting away from me and wasn't taxing enough originally had some band presses.

Some warm up sets of 10 reps .
    Added weight belt and 10kg still felt a bit light after 3 reps hard to tell , added another 2.5kg and did 10 reps felt like that was max but it could be psychological you know you've 10 to do so magically fatigue at 10 I dunno .
    12.5 for 10 then Max rep sets of 8/6/6

T2c chest supported row - wide grip
    find 10 rep max and 3 more sets off 45

Some warm ups then 52.5 based off last week's 48.5 for 12.
    52.5 X 10/9/8/7 very uniform.

*AB WORK*
    Same as the other day should of progressed forgot . 3 rounds of ankle taps / reverse crunch / plank off 30-45 seconds good burn .

T3a skullcrushers
    find 16 rep max then 3 more mrs

26kg X 16/12/6:(/8 I found these hard 45 seconds doesn't be long going .

T3b barbell curls
    find 16 rep max then 3 more mrs

27.5kg X 16 /13/10/9 off 45 seconds .

Completed 1 hour 15 , some positives that I felt more full body connection in the bench , some negatives that I didn't change up the T3's much or progress the ab work .also felt like I took the easy option on a few lifts afraid to fail the max rep set .
    Anyway learning curve my plan is to run this for 13 weeks then repeat it 3 more times then quit it and do something else

Just bear in mind that it doesn't always have to feel like you've been hugely taxed for an exercise to be beneficial, especially when it's a supplementary exercise. So don't always feel the need to throw in exercises to make it feel productive.

Just bear in mind that it doesn't always have to feel like you've been hugely taxed for an exercise to be beneficial, especially when it's a supplementary exercise. So don't always feel the need to throw in exercises to make it feel productive.

Thanks man, this is something I struggle with in other sports aswell , I'd often swim/bike and run too hard on easy days and it took a while to realise it was counterproductive.
    One thing I'm struggling with doing the weights is the rest times like 1 minute is ok but 2-3 mins I'm twiddling my thumb's thinking I'm wasting time here , I often cut the 2 mins to 1 min .

I try remind myself that somedays I wake up sore from a session that seemed too easy at the time.

Thanks man, this is something I struggle with in other sports aswell , I'd often swim/bike and run too hard on easy days and it took a while to realise it was counterproductive.
    One thing I'm struggling with doing the weights is the rest times like 1 minute is ok but 2-3 mins I'm twiddling my thumb's thinking I'm wasting time here , I often cut the 2 mins to 1 min .

I try remind myself that somedays I wake up sore from a session that seemed too easy at the time.

It's analogous to the long slow run. You don't always necessarily feel like they're productive because even though they're longer, the pace just feels too slow. Thay doesn't mean there's no benefit though.

It's ok to cut rest times a little if the sets aren't taxing. Just once you don't jeopardise reps or form through being more tired and just grinding some out.

And soreness is definitely not a good predictor of anything.

And soreness is definitely not a good predictor of anything.

Interesting I always assumed you had to stress the muscle and break it down in order for the muscle to repair and grow stronger , so I used pain as an indicator of progress. If I'm not sure after a workout the next day I feel like I went too easy.
    I guess it's not that straightforward, thanks 👍

• Advertisement

Interesting I always assumed you had to stress the muscle and break it down in order for the muscle to repair and grow stronger , so I used pain as an indicator of progress. If I'm not sure after a workout the next day I feel like I went too easy.
    I guess it's not that straightforward, thanks 👍

Soreness isn't a great indicator of exercise-induced muscle damage (EIMD), which is what you're talking about. And if you generate more EIMD by chasing soreness, you potentially risk reducing your power output. Some muscles are more prone to soreness than others so again, not a reflection of training productivity.

But to look at your benching, your 6RM was 62.5kg. That would put your max at about 75/77.5. Sets with 52.5 are at 67-70% of your max. A lot of work will be done in the 65-85% range anyway and you have scope for an AMRAP on the 3rd of the 3 sets so you have scope to do all those extra reps that you're able for.

Tl;dr, don't chase soreness and follow the program as it is :)

Week 3 day 2
    Did a zwift workout last night so legs where sore .
    Very tired in general and was going to sack this off but 4 days a week doesn't leave many nights off when you have to add bike and run in.

T1 Deadlift
    find 6 rep max
    Straight off the bat the 50kg warmup felt heavy I just couldn't get psyched up feeling drained.
    50 X 5 didn't fancy 10
    80 X 3 feels already very heavy
    100 X 2 really bloody harder than it should be .
    Took 3 mins put belt on , punched myself in chest a bit and went at 120kg
    First rep felt impossible but got moving and all went up ok.
    Doubt I had 7 in me .
    Working sets of 105 for 4/4/6*amrap decided 6 would be my max too tired to push for more .

T2a Front squat
    4 sets of 6 at 60kg
    Full deep squats interesting felt better than full back squats , well passed parallel , I am happy with these was due to do 70kg but did last week's 60kg was expecting these to be much harder going so low compared to last week .

T2b Hip thrust
    find 10 rep max and 3 more max rep sets
    60x 10/9/9/9 doubt 60 was heavy enough took 30 seconds rest want to get done tonight .

T3a Lat pulldown
    find 16 rep max and 3 more max rep sets
    Using bands 16/14/13/13 off 30 seconds.

T3b lying leg curls with band
    Heavier band than before 16/15/14/14 did both legs together to get finished quicker . Off 30 seconds

T3c front raises with plate
    find 16 rep max and 3 more mrs

Warm up with 5kg plate then 10kg , 10kg felt light so strapped on a 2.5kg plate to it .
    12.5kg X 16/12/8/7 off 45 seconds could feel the burn here .

Completed 1 hour 5 mins was one of them workouts just happy to tick off , I've a 1 hour bike ride tomorrow and 1 hour run but a break from weights till Thursday thankfully .
    Need to consider calorie intake as I'm still losing weight albeit not at a huge rate maybe 0.25kg a week . Hard to tell as I started creatine about a month ago .
    Currently on 2250 might go 2500 for a month

If you're tired and you're just rushing to get them done anyway, sometimes you're better just leaving out the T3 exercises from a big picture perspective. Are they going to add anything more than they take from recovery ahead of your next workout in this instance?

And if the bike and run elements are always going to mean that at least one of the training days is heavy and hard from the word go, then maybe add in an extra rest day and make your training week an 8-day week, for example.

If you're tired and you're just rushing to get them done anyway, sometimes you're better just leaving out the T3 exercises from a big picture perspective. Are they going to add anything more than they take from recovery ahead of your next workout in this instance?

And if the bike and run elements are always going to mean that at least one of the training days is heavy and hard from the word go, then maybe add in an extra rest day and make your training week an 8-day week, for example.

Yeah it's a fair point I'm not that knowledgeable on weight training so was just trying to follow the plan. Any reviews I've read on people doing J&T described it as very hard especially the first few weeks if your not used to high volume so I expected to be fatigued.

I'm dropping cardio on days I'm too tired today decided to drop the run and just bike. I don't mind dropping cardio at all this year won't be much happening in running and triathlon so happy to give this year to getting stronger and building more muscle mass. I may decide to keep lifting forever as it's enjoyable and the physical gains are certainly addictive .

With regards the T2-T3 exercises my understanding is they are supposed to assist the main lifts so I thought they where important to get done. The plan allows for self selection of T2 and T3 but the aim should be assistance for main lifts or some sort of upper lower split. My choice of exercises are probably not optimal as assistance exercises I try run a rough upper lower split and work on areas in weak at. I did actually consider just doing deadlift and front squat last night cause of time constraints but decided it was better to rush the exercises with a cut rest rather than skip them.

8 day week is something I like the sound of would mean I wouldn't have to ever lift 2 days in a row. I'll try finish this program out as is see how I feel as it supposedly gets easier and then run it again with changes that make it more optimum .

I appreciate your input thanks , it's good having a log to get some info from those more experienced.

Yeah it's a fair point I'm not that knowledgeable on weight training so was just trying to follow the plan. Any reviews I've read on people doing J&T described it as very hard especially the first few weeks if your not used to high volume so I expected to be fatigued.

I'm dropping cardio on days I'm too tired today decided to drop the run and just bike. I don't mind dropping cardio at all this year won't be much happening in running and triathlon so happy to give this year to getting stronger and building more muscle mass. I may decide to keep lifting forever as it's enjoyable and the physical gains are certainly addictive .

With regards the T2-T3 exercises my understanding is they are supposed to assist the main lifts so I thought they where important to get done. The plan allows for self selection of T2 and T3 but the aim should be assistance for main lifts or some sort of upper lower split. My choice of exercises are probably not optimal as assistance exercises I try run a rough upper lower split and work on areas in weak at. I did actually consider just doing deadlift and front squat last night cause of time constraints but decided it was better to rush the exercises with a cut rest rather than skip them.

8 day week is something I like the sound of would mean I wouldn't have to ever lift 2 days in a row. I'll try finish this program out as is see how I feel as it supposedly gets easier and then run it again with changes that make it more optimum .

I appreciate your input thanks , it's good having a log to get some info from those more experienced.

I've made every mistake you're ever likely to make so that's how I can offer some input - learning from my own mistakes :pac:

If you're ok with dropping cardio, that will help as well. It's just about finding the balance that allows you to do both without compromising recovery.

I wouldn't disregard the T3 exercises completely but from time to time, if something has to give, you'd prioritise T1 and T2. But that's not to say drop T3 completely. If you're rushing T1 and T2 to get T3 done, I would think you're not getting what you could out of T1 and T2 and probably not out of T3 either. You'd be better served by doing T1 and T2 normally and getting what you can out of them and if time constraints mean you can't get T3 done that day, then so be it. You don't want to be fatiguing yourself unnecessarily by rushing deadlifts so that you can get front raises done.

But ultimately it's probably not a situation that will occur too often so it's no biggie

Week 3 Day 3 OHP Day
    Thursday 25th

Nice day so did an hour slow run at lunch. Had a busy day at work ,got to shed at 8.30pm with the intention of giving each exercise full commitment and not just ticking them off . I set a limit of 90 mins and would stop regardless then.

T1 OHP
    Find 6 rep max and 3 working sets of 36 for 4 reps

I was watching a guy Joey D on YouTube lifting and I noticed when he overhead presses his palms face the ceiling whereas mine face forward. Obviously his way is right and mine was wrong I changed to mimic him. Hard to get elbows up high enough but did better.

I went with 45kg X 6 and 6 was my max nice controlled lifting till last lift where I limbo'd under the bar a bit to drive it up .I'm feeling like I'm just lifting to my 1 rep max estimate each week and not making gains like I'm just going to end up at my previous 1 rep max's by 6 weeks is my prediction.

3 working sets of 36kg 4/4/10* amrap

T2a incline bench press
    4 sets of 6 at 47.5kg off 2 mins .
    Felt ok.

T2b Upright row

25 X 8
    27.5 X 4
    30 X 10/9/7/7 I stop when I can't hit the bar to my chin

T2c kneeling landmine shoulder press

Don't have heavy enough dumbells yet to do dumbell press for a 10 rep max so decide to do landmine press.
    Single arm stuff takes twice the time which is annoying.
    Right side
    Warm up
    20 X 10
    25 X 5
    30 X 3
    35 X 10/8/6/6

Left side
    Warm up
    20 X 10
    25 X 5
    30 X 3
    35 X 5 ...........( Was a 10 rep max attempt failed )
    Took 2 mins
    31.25 X 10/8/7/6

T3 a reverse crunch / plank , ankle taps
    Did same as last time but 18 reverse crunches , 40 ankle taps , 75 second plank X 3 off 1 min , was sufficiently burning by end .

T3b landmine chest fly

Not done this before but felt I had to progress as did 18 max rep with heaviest dumbells last week decided to try a landmine fly.
    Single arm so painfully slow .
    Right side
    Just the bar
    20 X 10 it's an awkward exercise for me, arm out straight to the side with a slight bend the initial move from ground up is hard once it's moving not so bad could really feel it on front deltoids .
    25 X 16/13/10/10

Left side 25 X 16/14/14/11
    Not a bad exercise but hate single arm or leg stuff because of time involved , all max rep sets off 45-60 seconds .

Time shows 1 Hour 22mins and I decide to wrap it up , I had some tricep work left but a slight shoulder twinge on 3rd set on right side had me fearful of aggravating it more .

Positives - didn't rush through the exercises and did them all correctly .
    Negatives - lack of dumbells meant for a lot of wasted time, also I'm lifting within my range alot and not able to lift above my 1 rep max estimate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Agree with Alf if short on time do less but do it well. Do accessory work another day when less rushed

Agree with Alf if short on time do less but do it well. Do accessory work another day when less rushed

Yeah I tried to do that yesterday it was on my mind to do what he said and not care so much about ticking off exercises just for the sake of it . Thanks

Couple of things to bear in mind:

1) On OHP, I haven't seen the video but I wouldn't assume you're wrong. In an ideal world, you keep the wrist and arm relatively straight but with the bar in your hands the wrists won't be perfectly forward and they shouldn't really be parallel to ceiling either.

2) Single-arm movements are more time consuming but they're good for evening put imbalances.

3) It's primarily a hypertrophy programme as opposed to having a strength focus (that's not to say they're mutually exclusive or anything) and the accuracy of those calculators goes down the more reps you're basing the calculation off so o wouldn't take it as read that there are no strength gains just because of the calculator.

You're relatively new to lifting and you're learning as you go even just in terms of how you can put together accessory movements and how you do them. You're getting it done with what you have. There isn't a negative there

• Advertisement

2) Single-arm movements are more time consuming but they're good for evening put imbalances.

Thanks some good points , in regards this point If I keep lifting heavier on right arm I suppose the balance would never even out.
    So for say a 10 rep max would I better doing weak arm first and use same weight on strong side even though it wouldn't be a true 10 rep max on stronger side but your allowing other side to catch up ?

Advertisement