Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Shane12

gctest50 wrote: »
    While yer pump adjusting, check if the :

max-bolus-per thingy is set[/QUOTE]

Forgive my ignorance but what is max bolus per thingy?

The max bolus is 10, but I am not sure how this would affect the insertion of the set.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Prime outside the body and do not prime once inserted it sounds like the issue. I tend to run slightly lower for the first few hours with a new site. If that doesn't work, you cold also pause the bolus after the first 15minutes for 45 minutes. See how that goes. If it works too well (you go high later reduce it to 30 minutes the next time). It really depends on what insulin he is on in total for the day. For example, I now take more insulin for a meal than I took for the entire day when I was younger (exaggerated). So 1 unit now would make little difference to me but back then could send me into a coma.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Shane12 wrote: »

Forgive my ignorance but what is max bolus per thingy?

The max bolus is 10, but I am not sure how this would affect the insertion of the set.

It doesn't affect the insertion of the set - just a safety thing

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Shane12

Thanks for all the replies, definitely good troubleshooting tips, I will let ye know if these make a difference, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,684 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

My uncle suffers with bad burning leg pains that a friend said could be poor circulation from diabetes, any tips or help? He does walk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭banie01

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    My uncle suffers with bad burning leg pains that a friend said could be poor circulation from diabetes, any tips or help? He does walk

Get him to talk to his diabetes team.
    It may well be a neuropathy and all the exercise in the world won't make much difference.

That he's active and walking is good, compression stockings may help if it is a circulation issue, but, best people to assess the pain and diagnose will be his GP or diabetes team.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Sounds like what I had too, pre diagnosis. Neuropathy. Tell him get to the Gp for a test

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

If it comes on whole walking it's more of a vascular issue but if present the rest of the time it's neuropathy as the other posters have pointed out. Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭uli84

I am all up for vaccine and all but this scared me a bit, I think they shouldn’t use this one on diabetics

https://www.thejournal.ie/denmark-suspends-use-of-astrazeneca-vaccine-over-blood-clot-fears-5378263-Mar2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭uli84

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Sounds like what I had too, pre diagnosis. Neuropathy. Tell him get to the Gp for a test

How is this treated usually?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

uli84 wrote: »
    I am all up for vaccine and all but this scared me a bit, I think they shouldn’t use this one on diabetics

https://www.thejournal.ie/denmark-suspends-use-of-astrazeneca-vaccine-over-blood-clot-fears-5378263-Mar2021/

There isn't anything to suggest that the vaccine batch is responsible for the clots, and the rate of people getting clots is no higher than in the population as normal. But like how they suspended one of the vaccination trials back in October (?) after the death of one of the participants, even though it was a totally unconnected cause of death, just through an abundance of caution they have stopped using that one batch of AstraZenica.

Normally you'd never even hear about such things happening, but because of the lack of other news for the last year we get a lot more vaccine and virus related news than normal which makes it seem like it's common.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Phone app with Beaumont yesterday. Once again hba1c was 36...still not discharging me from the service. They have pushed my apps to every 2 years.

I was hoping they would but oh well. I'll take what they give me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Got a date for my retinopathy screening - April 2nd at a local hotel in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Ex wife (56) just diagnosed wit T1. Bit of a shock, reasonably healthy. Daughter says it's more related to auto immune issues, I know type 2 is almost always lifestyle, But is T1 genetic..any info appriciated.

Yes Type 1 is in the genes, the only shock is that it happened in middle age was your ex other half ill in recent past?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭banie01

not yet wrote: »
    Ex wife (56) just diagnosed wit T1. Bit of a shock, reasonably healthy. Daughter says it's more related to auto immune issues, I know type 2 is almost always lifestyle, But is T1 genetic..any info appriciated.

T2 is not always lifestyle related.
    That's a fairly outdated view of disease modality these days.
    Lifestyle is certainly a factor, in some cases a primary one but there is far more as a cause to trigger it.

Similar situation with T1 but one of the actual T1's here might be better placed to comment.
    T1 can indeed come on late in life.
    Can be genetic and it can be a result of viral infections too.
    T1 is an autoimmune disease, bodies antibodies attack and eventually destroy the beta cells in the pancreas.

LADA, or Late onset Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults or slow/late onset type 1.
    Usually diagnosed via an antibody test.
    Treatment is pretty much the same as normal T1 but the discipline of someone diagnosed later in life can be poor.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

But is T1 genetic..any info appriciated.

Yes/ no/ maybe/ haven't a clue/ covid/ they are still trying to figure it out.

All of the above would be correct answers unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Johann.

Diagnosed with LADA in November, 28 years old. Well, warned it would happen in Jan 2019 and officially on insulin since. Highsest bloods recorded were 12's..13's and thankfully no lows (yet!). However, i realise as time goes on my situation will probably become more volatile. :)

Well, nice to meet you all! Appointments were cancelled in Jan, next one is in August so will be interesting to see how I'm getting on but by and large - bloods are within 5-7 :)

Yes Type 1 is in the genes, the only shock is that it happened in middle age was your ex other half ill in recent past?

Hard to say, fond of a drink, eating disorder most of her life.

robinph wrote: »
    Yes/ no/ maybe/ haven't a clue/ covid/ they are still trying to figure it out.

All of the above would be correct answers unfortunately.

Of all the illnesses I thought could affect her I would have thought T1 was way down the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Anyone at any time can be attacked by their own immune system in all sorts of ways - either quick death or long slow drawn out stuff

It's a bit like anuerysms, about 1 in 50 people have one, won't improve your day if one of those bursts

Hard to say, fond of a drink, eating disorder most of her life.
    I found myself trying to attribute it to lifestyle choices - as did my parents. I'm 28 and normal BMI. Enjoy a drink and a takeaway as much as the next person.

Sometimes it's just your body - accept it, offer support and learn about it together.

That's my journey over last few months since starting my insulin. Still enjoy a few beers & still enjoy a takeaway. Small changes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Right anyone any ideas what my kids can get me for Mothers Day,chocs and wine are out.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Taeholic

dubstarr wrote: »
    Right anyone any ideas what my kids can get me for Mothers Day,chocs and wine are out.

FYI Cadburys have a lovely dark chocolate range that's low carb. I have a sweet tooth so this is my go to when I treat myself to some chocolate. Ignore if not suitable for you.

Depending on age; flowers, pamper day eg face masks, bath bombs etc something homemade artwork or cards, a lie on, breakfast in bed, no fighting lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Taeholic wrote: »
    FYI Cadburys have a lovely dark chocolate range that's low carb. I have a sweet tooth so this is my go to when I treat myself to some chocolate. Ignore if not suitable for you.

Depending on age; flowers, pamper day eg face masks, bath bombs etc something homemade artwork or cards, a lie on, breakfast in bed, no fighting lol

Some great ideas.
    Only way I'd get my kids to be quiet is gaffer taping their gobs and hands.🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Taeholic

dubstarr wrote: »
    Some great ideas.
    Only way I'd get my kids to be quiet is gaffer taping their gobs and hands.🀣

Gaffer tape it is so :) enjoy the quiet lol

Anybody heard anything re vaccine yet?

Nope but then I'm well controlled so it'll just be whenever they get around to the middle aged git cohort.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

On the diabetes in Ireland facebook page, there are plenty who have got texts to attend for their vaccine. Not all have a Hba1c of over 58. Hospitals seems to be randomly picking people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

I hope this is the correct thread but I'd appreciate an opinion. Recently over last few weeks I've experienced intermittent slight tingling of the hands. I'm in my 40s. I was wondering if this could be diabetes. I have no other symptoms like thirst, fatigue etc. Is it common to have multiple symptoms when one has diabetes.
    Obviously I will request my gp to do a fasting blood glucose and HbA1C test. Just wondering for the time being. My late father had diabetes which he suffered from since age 60. Thanks for any input.

Advertisement