Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Diabetes Ireland did a lot of working with insurance companies a few years back so there shouldn’t be any loading on your policy. More info on driving and diabetes cane be found here - https://www.diabetes.ie/living-with-diabetes/living-type-1/driving-type-1-diabetes/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭banie01

24hrs in with freestyle libre and I'm so happy with it I've already purchased more sensors.

I'm using the libre app and GLIMP, I think I prefer the functionality of GLIMP at the moment.
    That said the UI of the libre app is far the more visually appealing.

I must take a look into how to extend the sensor life.
    I know it was possible with GLIMP and the older version 10day sensors, I've not yet researched if it's possible to extend the 14day ones?
    But fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Diabetes Ireland did a lot of working with insurance companies a few years back so there shouldn’t be any loading on your policy. More info on driving and diabetes cane be found here - https://www.diabetes.ie/living-with-diabetes/living-type-1/driving-type-1-diabetes/

Cheers, I was aware of that alright.

I suppose the main thing I am concerned about is whether hypo insenstivity will have an adverse effect on your insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 navono

banie01 wrote: »
    24hrs in with freestyle libre and I'm so happy with it I've already purchased more sensors.

I'm using the libre app and GLIMP, I think I prefer the functionality of GLIMP at the moment.
    That said the UI of the libre app is far the more visually appealing.

I must take a look into how to extend the sensor life.
    I know it was possible with GLIMP and the older version 10day sensors, I've not yet researched if it's possible to extend the 14day ones?
    But fingers crossed!

Hi Banie,

I am also using the freestyle libre and I wasn't aware of any way of extending the sensor life, if you figure out how to do this please post it! Also in relation to your post about getting it covered by LTI, its only covered up to the age of 21 in certain circumstances. I know some endocrinologists have been pushing for that to be changed and to cover all ages but I recently had a conversation with my endocrinologist in the rotunda as she favors them but I cant afford them sometimes, which I explained to her and she again confirmed that they aren't covered past a certain age. If they were covered she would have written me a rx. But if you do manage to get it covered please post how you managed it or could you even pm me. I would appreciate it.

navono wrote: »
    Hi Banie,

I am also using the freestyle libre and I wasn't aware of any way of extending the sensor life, if you figure out how to do this please post it! Also in relation to your post about getting it covered by LTI, its only covered up to the age of 21 in certain circumstances. I know some endocrinologists have been pushing for that to be changed and to cover all ages but I recently had a conversation with my endocrinologist in the rotunda as she favors them but I cant afford them sometimes, which I explained to her and she again confirmed that they aren't covered past a certain age. If they were covered she would have written me a rx. But if you do manage to get it covered please post how you managed it or could you even pm me. I would appreciate it.

I will let you know if I find anything.
    I know the older version is unencrypted and there is plenty of info out there regarding extending the old 10 day sensors out to 28 (with potential accuracy issues).

The newer type 2 sensor is encrypted and seems to be set to a 14 day cycle on activation that can't be reset or extended.
    But I am researching it and this thread will be the 1st to know if/when I find out how.

On the Rx, until the HSE change the prescription criteria the only way I could see myself being allowed it, would be to let control go and risk actual harm to myself and try to spin a tale of becoming brittle.

In reality it's not a risk I'd take and is hyperbolic on my part.
    Perhaps a concerted push on our TDs and public reps to put pressure on for it to be available across the board may bear fruit but diabetes Ireland have been pushing for it for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Donutz

Perhaps a concerted push on our TDs and public reps to put pressure on for it to be available across the board may bear fruit but diabetes Ireland have been pushing for it for years.[/quote]

I had a conversation with a freestyle rep about this in December 2019. She reckoned that they would have been on the LTI for everybody only for the overspend on the national children's hospital. Having said that, she still expected it to become available by the 3rd quarter of 2020. I guess that covid put an end to that.

Still though, it's good to see that it's being considered. I actually think the HSE would save money in the long run with the reduction in test strips.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Donutz wrote: »
    Still though, it's good to see that it's being considered. I actually think the HSE would save money in the long run with the reduction in test strips.

If you look at the reduction in HbA1c and then extrapolate the lowering of costs in later life on the HSE its a no brainer, both from a reduced cost and quality of life perspective. Regrettably, governments work on far shorter cycles which is why many nice things are not allowed for a range of things. Imagine if they went to Dexcom, Freestyle and Medtronic and said right, every type 1 in the country gets a CGM, here is the price to get in the door, and the lowest price wins. A back of the envelope calculation, your looking at 60000 sales per month. To become the sole player in the market for 4 years with guaranteed sales, hard to pass up.

Donutz wrote: »
    Perhaps a concerted push on our TDs and public reps to put pressure on for it to be available across the board may bear fruit but diabetes Ireland have been pushing for it for years.

I had a conversation with a freestyle rep about this in December 2019. She reckoned that they would have been on the LTI for everybody only for the overspend on the national children's hospital. Having said that, she still expected it to become available by the 3rd quarter of 2020. I guess that covid put an end to that.

Still though, it's good to see that it's being considered. I actually think the HSE would save money in the long run with the reduction in test strips.[/quote]

There is a major caveat though; it doesn't read accurately at the high or lower end of the scale, my libre will tell me me I am low when I am not and I actually end up using more test strips to check it, but its very beneficial to see trends. I am coming up to my 7th month of pregnancy and I would never have gotten my a1c down without it. The endo in the rotunda was very happy with my levels when I became pregnant but I had been using the libre for over a year to get there. I think its hard to justify/prioritise covering it on lti though due to the fact that it isnt as accurate as blood glucose monitors. Hse will do a cost benefit analysis and unless there is empirical evidence that it actually would reduce spending on secondary conditions caused by diabetes and /or other diabetes suplies they probably won't cover it for everyone.

I will let you know if I find anything.
    I know the older version is unencrypted and there is plenty of info out there regarding extending the old 10 day sensors out to 28 (with potential accuracy issues).

The newer type 2 sensor is encrypted and seems to be set to a 14 day cycle on activation that can't be reset or extended.
    But I am researching it and this thread will be the 1st to know if/when I find out how.

On the Rx, until the HSE change the prescription criteria the only way I could see myself being allowed it, would be to let control go and risk actual harm to myself and try to spin a tale of becoming brittle.

In reality it's not a risk I'd take and is hyperbolic on my part.

Ye It's not worth risking your health, I know we all get frustrated and say /post things tongue in cheek but in reality it is just a way to vent and gain insight into other people's situations to gain support.

I see you work/study in the legal arena, and I wonder if you could see the fact that not all people are covered for the cgms as discrimination and a human rights violation? I am probably reaching a bit here, but just curious for your opinion

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The mentions of 10 day Libre sensors that you'll see online were exclusive to the US market. They never existed anywhere else. Also any extending of the life of the sensors seems to be fairly flakey from everything I've seen. Using Glimp might get you an extra 12 hours, but then the data tends to just loop around and I've not seen anything convincing enough for me to be bothered going through the steps necessary to do the hacking to extend them further. Although I do admittedly currently get my sensors "free" from the NHS which may have a bearing on my motivation for that.

The use of 3rd party sensors to link the Libre to your phone/ smart watch are worth the effort though and make another huge benefit in how useful they are. Although those hacks may become obsolete shortly as the Libre 2 becomes more available and slightly different hacks are then needed to make the Libre an equivalent of a CGM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

robinph wrote: »
    The mentions of 10 day Libre sensors that you'll see online were exclusive to the US market. They never existed anywhere else. Also any extending of the life of the sensors seems to be fairly flakey from everything I've seen. Using Glimp might get you an extra 12 hours, but then the data tends to just loop around and I've not seen anything convincing enough for me to be bothered going through the steps necessary to do the hacking to extend them further. Although I do admittedly currently get my sensors "free" from the NHS which may have a bearing on my motivation for that.

The use of 3rd party sensors to link the Libre to your phone/ smart watch are worth the effort though and make another huge benefit in how useful they are. Although those hacks may become obsolete shortly as the Libre 2 becomes more available and slightly different hacks are then needed to make the Libre an equivalent of a CGM.

Hi Robin,

Do you need to be carrying your phone for the linking of data to the likes of a Garmin watch? Im guessing the data routes to your watch via the phone/app?

I am not a fan of carrying phone while running, but I guess could adapt....eventually.

The mentions of 10 day Libre sensors that you'll see online were exclusive to the US market. They never existed anywhere else. Also any extending of the life of the sensors seems to be fairly flakey from everything I've seen. Using Glimp might get you an extra 12 hours, but then the data tends to just loop around and I've not seen anything convincing enough for me to be bothered going through the steps necessary to do the hacking to extend them further. Although I do admittedly currently get my sensors "free" from the NHS which may have a bearing on my motivation for that

Thanks for the info Rob.
    It really does seem far, far simpler to just hand the cash over for the foreseeable.
    I am delighted with the Libre, its given me far more confidence regarding both my basal dose and my ongoing management.
    Even if I do need to pay for it, it will turn out to money well spent.

I tend not to test often, usually in the morning to see if I need to adjust my basal and leave it at that.

I know people will point to the cost savings that libre and actual CGM can bring.
    Usually that CBA takes in the costs of test strips and lancets, I've not seen any mention in a reduction on insulin costs?
    I recently had to go back on to my basal insulin, and tbh the combo of lockdown and insulin related weight gain have me a bit morose.

Moving to the freestyle libre and by being a bit more aggressive with my control strategy I'd hope to at least significantly drop and if possible nix my insulin need again for a while!
    At least until my pancreas really does give up the ghost! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Hi Robin,

Do you need to be carrying your phone for the linking of data to the likes of a Garmin watch? Im guessing the data routes to your watch via the phone/app?

I am not a fan of carrying phone while running, but I guess could adapt....eventually.

Yes, the setup I have needs me to carry my phone in order to have everything linked up. It's not been an issue though as having the phone with me means that people can see exactly where I am and when I'll be due back as I rarely know how long or far I'm going when leaving the front door, also run the podcasts from the phone.

My current setup is:
    Libre -> Miao Miao 2 stuck on the Libre -> connected via Bluetooth to the phone -> running xDrip+ app on the phone -> links to Android APS app on the phone which then sends me suggestions for changing pump settings during the run -> which then links with Nightscout website which I give access to the hospital for during my reviews. Nightscout also links some of the data it gets from AndroidAPS regarding insulin and carb intake back to xDrip.

xDrip then also provides the link to:
    a MiBand5 watch to show BG levels live (although that part of the setup has currently broken on me)
    a Garmin watch face CGM TIR which also shows live BG data on the watch during normal operation (but not for during activity) and I'm about to start using instead of the MiBand5
    a Garmin Widget and data fields for use during activity xDrip+ Widget which give you the option of showing BG, glucose, carbs, insulin on board levels along side your other activity stats such as heart rate and pace etc.

I also have an automated action created on the phone so that I can just press that whilst running and it adds the glucose for any gels that I've taken on the run to my AndroidAPS app as it needs to know all that I've eaten to be able to give accurate suggestions for changes to pump settings.

I had a similar setup with my pump, where mine went:

Sensor --> Pump--> Contour Next meter --> Phone (via OTG USB cable) --> website/storage --> Garmin app --> Phone --> Garmin Watch

Alas the website was bought and I never followed up to do an alternative so if anyone has one it would be appreciated. My other big issue was the USB oTG cable put such a strain on the USB port on my phone that its now a bit sketchy charging, but I am unsure if this was actually th OTG cable and me moving about or something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

I have managed to used the libre sensor for 28 days (2 reactivations post expiry) after which either the battery died or the filament just gets killed by body tissues !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

My Dad (82) long term type two went on keto at the start of the year, His bloods would always be in the high 7s, after 4 weeks had them down to mid 6s, today he is 5.6 as a bonus he has lost 9kgs.

To say he is happy is an understatement, he cannot believe he can have fat and still lose weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

not yet wrote: »
    My Dad (82) long term type two went on keto at the start of the year, His bloods would always be in the high 7s, after 4 weeks had them down to mid 6s, today he is 5.6 as a bonus he has lost 9kgs.

To say he is happy is an understatement, he cannot believe he can have fat and still lose weight.

Is he doing this under the care of a doctor or consultant? Keytones can be dangerous if not monitored, just to make you aware. Great his blood glucose has improved.

imfml wrote: »
    Is he doing this under the care of a doctor or consultant? Keytones can be dangerous if not monitored, just to make you aware. Great his blood glucose has improved.

No he is not, He has stayed on the meds though, I'll mention that to him to say it to his GP next time, would hate to burst his bubble.

Yes, the setup I have needs me to carry my phone in order to have everything linked up. It's not been an issue though as having the phone with me means that people can see exactly where I am and when I'll be due back as I rarely know how long or far I'm going when leaving the front door, also run the podcasts from the phone.

My current setup is:
    Libre -> Miao Miao 2 stuck on the Libre -> connected via Bluetooth to the phone -> running xDrip+ app on the phone -> links to Android APS app on the phone which then sends me suggestions for changing pump settings during the run -> which then links with Nightscout website which I give access to the hospital for during my reviews. Nightscout also links some of the data it gets from AndroidAPS regarding insulin and carb intake back to xDrip.

xDrip then also provides the link to:
    a MiBand5 watch to show BG levels live (although that part of the setup has currently broken on me)
    a Garmin watch face CGM TIR which also shows live BG data on the watch during normal operation (but not for during activity) and I'm about to start using instead of the MiBand5
    a Garmin Widget and data fields for use during activity xDrip+ Widget which give you the option of showing BG, glucose, carbs, insulin on board levels along side your other activity stats such as heart rate and pace etc.

I also have an automated action created on the phone so that I can just press that whilst running and it adds the glucose for any gels that I've taken on the run to my AndroidAPS app as it needs to know all that I've eaten to be able to give accurate suggestions for changes to pump settings.

Thanks Robin, that saves me a few searches.

Re the running. I follow a few type 1's on Strava. A few seem to chase the BG a lot during their runs (taking glucose on board or even insulin). Is this a dangerous technique? What do you do?

I tend to run around the same time each day (30 mins after breakfast) and I have my bolus and basal regime pretty well set up for that. I don't monitor my BG during my run. I would take a gel if I was doing a session or anything easy/long that's over 70 mins. I need to catch a low with carb intake within 30 mins of finishing run.

Do you think the ability to see the BG readings continuously may actually lead to overthinking and hampering a race performance?

Thanks Robin, that saves me a few searches.

Re the running. I follow a few type 1's on Strava. A few seem to chase the BG a lot during their runs (taking glucose on board or even insulin). Is this a dangerous technique? What do you do?

I tend to run around the same time each day (30 mins after breakfast) and I have my bolus and basal regime pretty well set up for that. I don't monitor my BG during my run. I would take a gel if I was doing a session or anything easy/long that's over 70 mins. I need to catch a low with carb intake within 30 mins of finishing run.

Do you think the ability to see the BG readings continuously may actually lead to overthinking and hampering a race performance?

When I was on MDI I wasn't testing during runs and there was not really any way to alter the basals on the fly so the only option was to try to guess the BG and hope for the best. After some "testing" which involved me getting into what was quite likely dodgy hypo situations, I figured that I could run for about an hour without needing to take on any gels, but if I was going for longer than that I'd need to have been taking on gels from half an hour in to keep BG to a level that I'd stay upright. That also tended to involve me starting with an elevated BG in the low teens.

It wasn't really a great tactic, but was the only thing that worked for me. I did reduce the basal dose, or completely miss it, from the day before when running a marathon, but never really got that system to something I was happy with and was just a muddle through.

When I then got a pump it added huge flexibility in that I could got for longer runs at shorter notice by just turning down the basal rate from an hour before hand. I was still taking on lots of gels though as there was no way to know what the BGs were doing during runs, so was definitely taking on too much glucose despite the pump being a massive leap forwards. With the Libre though, and then getting the live data onto my watch for during the run without needing to even take the phone out of my belt, that made things way better.

I would now only take on glucose when actually needed on a run, and have also changed basal settings during races. Only really on longer races though as I figure anything less than a half marathon by the time I've faffed around with the pump and my phone to make the changes, and then the time it takes for any change to kick in about 15-20 minutes later I'd be nearly at the finish anyway. I have done changes on the fly during longer races though and in my last "regular" race, pre covid, was doing that during a 20 mile event and won 1st place in the age category at the finish and a bottle of wine, so I don't think it did any harm. :)

Things are all a bit random though and doing exactly the same thing two weeks running, at the same time, eat the same things all day, start with similar BG, run the same route, at the same pace, in the same weather and one week I'd get in a 20 mile training run and take on zero carbs along the way, the other week I'd be downing gels like they were going out of fashion just to try to keep levels slightly above hypo and have run out of my extra emergency rations that would never be needed under any running circumstances.

I can see how having to much data could be a problem, but for me I can never have enough of it. I may not always do the most sensible things with that data, but its all good for me.

Edit: taking on a bolus of insulin during exercise is very dangerous and should be done with extreme caution.

• Advertisement

When I was on MDI I wasn't testing during runs and there was not really any way to alter the basals on the fly so the only option was to try to guess the BG and hope for the best. After some "testing" which involved me getting into what was quite likely dodgy hypo situations, I figured that I could run for about an hour without needing to take on any gels, but if I was going for longer than that I'd need to have been taking on gels from half an hour in to keep BG to a level that I'd stay upright. That also tended to involve me starting with an elevated BG in the low teens.

It wasn't really a great tactic, but was the only thing that worked for me. I did reduce the basal dose, or completely miss it, from the day before when running a marathon, but never really got that system to something I was happy with and was just a muddle through.

When I then got a pump it added huge flexibility in that I could got for longer runs at shorter notice by just turning down the basal rate from an hour before hand. I was still taking on lots of gels though as there was no way to know what the BGs were doing during runs, so was definitely taking on too much glucose despite the pump being a massive leap forwards. With the Libre though, and then getting the live data onto my watch for during the run without needing to even take the phone out of my belt, that made things way better.

I would now only take on glucose when actually needed on a run, and have also changed basal settings during races. Only really on longer races though as I figure anything less than a half marathon by the time I've faffed around with the pump and my phone to make the changes, and then the time it takes for any change to kick in about 15-20 minutes later I'd be nearly at the finish anyway. I have done changes on the fly during longer races though and in my last "regular" race, pre covid, was doing that during a 20 mile event and won 1st place in the age category at the finish and a bottle of wine, so I don't think it did any harm. :)

Things are all a bit random though and doing exactly the same thing two weeks running, at the same time, eat the same things all day, start with similar BG, run the same route, at the same pace, in the same weather and one week I'd get in a 20 mile training run and take on zero carbs along the way, the other week I'd be downing gels like they were going out of fashion just to try to keep levels slightly above hypo and have run out of my extra emergency rations that would never be needed under any running circumstances.

I can see how having to much data could be a problem, but for me I can never have enough of it. I may not always do the most sensible things with that data, but its all good for me.

Edit: taking on a bolus of insulin during exercise is very dangerous and should be done with extreme caution.

Thats great information Robin.

I would say that I am currently running blind. It has worked for me up to this point. I have never had any major issues in runs or races, but that could be down to a bit of luck and a conservative approach (starting high and possibly taking excess glucose throughout). In the long run, this strategy might not be ideal with regard to long term health, HbA1c and time in range. It also offers a lack of flexibility. If my plans change and I have to run in the afternoon or eve, then it requires and a little more planning and it could easily go wrong for me. Having the data and live information would make this kind of thing a lot easier.

I did the trial with the Libre a few years ago but at that point I was not carb counting and quite honestly I didn't have enough knowledge to understand and appreciate the data. I am thinking of taking the plunge again as it doesn't look like its coming on to our LTI scheme at anytime soon.

Thanks again for the in-depth response, very informative.:)

No he is not, He has stayed on the meds though, I'll mention that to him to say it to his GP next time, would hate to burst his bubble.

The biggest risk of the Keto diets were that many people don't read up on them and go full on keto which has great short term results. Even the main advocates of it though all plan in a slow reintroduction of a more stable/balanced diet over time, this to me was always the main risk aside but as said above, worth saying to the DS team and talk through it just to make sure there is no negatives. other than that fair play to him.

CramCycle wrote: »
    The biggest risk of the Keto diets were that many people don't read up on them and go full on keto which has great short term results. Even the main advocates of it though all plan in a slow reintroduction of a more stable/balanced diet over time, this to me was always the main risk aside but as said above, worth saying to the DS team and talk through it just to make sure there is no negatives. other than that fair play to him.

Agree with all you are saying, it's difficult to convince him to be careful when he is seeing such incredible results. He is up at the crack of dawn now, whereas beforehand he'd be in bed till noon. On the face of it his diet looks quite good, avacado, eggs, fish, beef etc. I have siad it to him to mention it to his GP and Nurse in clinic, and as I expect from an that generation the answer was...

What would they know:rolleyes:

What would they know:rolleyes:

In his defence, depending on the clinic, he might be right :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Galbin

CramCycle wrote: »
    If you look at the reduction in HbA1c and then extrapolate the lowering of costs in later life on the HSE its a no brainer, both from a reduced cost and quality of life perspective. Regrettably, governments work on far shorter cycles which is why many nice things are not allowed for a range of things. Imagine if they went to Dexcom, Freestyle and Medtronic and said right, every type 1 in the country gets a CGM, here is the price to get in the door, and the lowest price wins. A back of the envelope calculation, your looking at 60000 sales per month. To become the sole player in the market for 4 years with guaranteed sales, hard to pass up.

That is way too much logical thought for the HSE. Sometimes I really, really wonder about our government.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

Galbin wrote: »
    That is way too much logical thought for the HSE. Sometimes I really, really wonder about our government.

You cant just blame the government either.

Dexcom is currently part of the core LTI list. My pharmacy have confirmed they will dispense based on a valid prescription from any source, including GP.

I currently meet the suggested requirements for a CGM (zero hypo awareness and a significant fear of low bloods after 2 nights where i was low and only woken by other circumstances). My endo based in the Mater refused outright to prescribe it, even though he could. I self fund the Libre FGM and my figures "didnt suggest i need a CGM". His solution is to decrease my insulin..... Apparently if the Libre 2 becomes available he will prescribe that and couldnt understand how he was contradicting himself.

If our support teams worked within the current rules to help us more it would force the hand of the HSE to move into modern age and properly offer these devices.

I am arranging and appointment with my GP, armed with CGM guidelines and will see how it goes.

Diabetic now for almost 30yrs, my finger prick routine is awful, CGM has changed how I manage my condition. Dealing with my Endo recently is the first time in a long time I have felt properly drained because of this illness.

Wanton wrote: »

I am arranging and appointment with my GP, armed with CGM guidelines and will see how it goes.

Diabetic now for almost 30yrs, my finger prick routine is awful, CGM has changed how I manage my condition. Dealing with my Endo recently is the first time in a long time I have felt properly drained because of this illness.

I cannot believe I never noticed that Dexcom was part of Core list F previously!
    Thanks for this, I am hopefully in with my Endo team next month (4th time appointment has been rescheduled since Covid kicked off).
    If they won't swap, I know my GP will.

I cannot believe I never noticed that Dexcom was part of Core list F previously!
    Thanks for this, I am hopefully in with my Endo team next month (4th time appointment has been rescheduled since Covid kicked off).
    If they won't swap, I know my GP will.

I remember reading it a number of years ago, but didnt understand the significance. Its only since I started using the Libre, learning so much and seeing my hba1c reduce from over 70 to 54 (past two tests at 54) that I finally understand how important access can be and is.

I just dont understand it, my cousin has CS. Their community fought and won access to extremely expensive medicines (and rightfully so). We hand in a petition signed by thousands and are ignored by two successive Ministers for Health.

Anywho, rant over, I get a little annoyed when I think about it :mad::o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Wanton wrote: »
    I remember reading it a number of years ago, but didnt understand the significance. Its only since I started using the Libre, learning so much and seeing my hba1c reduce from over 70 to 54 (past two tests at 54) that I finally understand how important access can be and is.

I just dont understand it, my cousin has CS. Their community fought and won access to extremely expensive medicines (and rightfully so). We hand in a petition signed by thousands and are ignored by two successive Ministers for Health.

Anywho, rant over, I get a little annoyed when I think about it :mad::o

I know it's touchy area but is it know whether there are any diabetics or parents of diabetics in government?
    Would it be worth approaching these people specificilly to see if more can be done in these areas (I am assuming all of the adovacy groups do this already)

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    I know it's touchy area but is it know whether there are any diabetics or parents of diabetics in government?
    Would it be worth approaching these people specificilly to see if more can be done in these areas (I am assuming all of the adovacy groups do this already)

While Charlie Flanagan was Minister recently I was in close contact with someone in his constituency, they were personally invested after a death in the family partly related to Diabetes.

He approached Simon Harris on my behalf and got a NOTHING answer from his office. It was an insult. But I did appreciate the effort from Charlies office.

I dont know how this one can be pushed forward.

I believe it was raised in Dail again recently, but its not the first time. I have a tweet from Leo specifically saying he would get a response from Simon Harris, it never came.

Advertisement