Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,492 ✭✭✭✭banie01

kippy wrote: »
    You may have answered this earlier in the thread so apologies but can you advise how much the libre is costing you? Initial cost, consumables etc and that type of thing?
    I am struggling to keep my weight at a manageable level with a few factors impacting this but I'd like to see whether a GCM is practical for me as I feel it would help.

I 1st got the free trial to see if it worked for me.
    The only consumable as since is the libre itself.
    It lasts 14days, and it costs me @€;58 per libre so €116 per month with a 13 month year.

It won't help with weight loss as such IMO, but in my case it allowed me enough improvement in my control to nix my insulin need.
    I find Lantus caused me weight gain and made it hard to shift.
    Having good enough control to drop that made dropping weight far easier for me IMO.

In other news, just got a txt for my Covid vaccine appt.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

banie01 wrote: »
    I 1st got the free trial to see if it worked for me.
    The only consumable as since is the libre itself.
    It lasts 14days, and it costs me @€;58 per libre so €116 per month with a 13 month year.

It won't help with weight loss as such IMO, but in my case it allowed me enough improvement in my control to nix my insulin need.
    I find Lantus caused me weight gain and made it hard to shift.
    Having good enough control to drop that made dropping weight far easier for me IMO.

In other news, just got a txt for my Covid vaccine appt.

Thanks Banie.
    Yep I suppose I know it won't help directly with weight loss but as a relatively recently diagnosed T1 I am still getting to grips with what might work best for me and I think having relatively easy access to the key figure might work to keep me on the straight and narrow. If only for a couple of months to gauge better what is working well for me.
    Again, thanks.

kippy wrote: »
    Thanks Banie.
    Yep I suppose I know it won't help directly with weight loss but as a relatively recently diagnosed T1 I am still getting to grips with what might work best for me and I think having relatively easy access to the key figure might work to keep me on the straight and narrow. If only for a couple of months to gauge better what is working well for me.
    Again, thanks.

IMO as a T1 and a newly diagnosed one at that, you'd be well served by a CGM or Libre anyway.
    It'll help you keep far better control but one of the T1 flok here can better advise on that than me.

I'm a firm believer that more/better data leads to better control and outcomes.
    If I was T1, I'd definitely be pushing for some kind of CGM or flash monitoring.
    Hopefully your Endo team will agree ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not a huge help but better than nothing, all of the libre stuff qualifies for 20% back in regards tax relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

On vaccines, I'm already done as I'm a healthcare worker but my Dad who is 68 and also type 1 has been called for vaccination on Saturday. His hba1c is 6.4 but he would have some heart issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Hey. Am in cork city. Was diagnosed as T1 in January 2020. Have met the diabetic nurse & dietician and also had my first retina screen done but still haven’t met the endocrinologist I saw when I was admitted/diagnosed or any other endocrinologist since. How long is the wait usually?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Champagne Sally

Does anyone know the difference between controlled and uncontrolled diabetes 2? My husband regularly has readings of between 8 and 12 on his monitor and I can't work out what this means regarding the guidelines the HSE have given. If any of our knowledgeable posters can help I would be very grateful.

Does anyone know the difference between controlled and uncontrolled diabetes 2? My husband regularly has readings of between 8 and 12 on his monitor and I can't work out what this means regarding the guidelines the HSE have given. If any of our knowledgeable posters can help I would be very grateful.

Is this for the vaccine cohorts?
    As I read the guidelines my understanding is that it's the Hba1c value being above 59 that is the trigger for the uncontrolled diabetes cohort.

Now that said, my current Hba1c is 46(6.4 in old number)and I was vaccinated last week.
    I do have other health issues that place me in Cat 4 tho.

It may be worth a call to whoever manages your husband's diabetes to see if he is in an at risk group and if he had been identified as such to the vaccination teams.

This chart might be helpful.
    a1c-chart-adag.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

The HSE guidelines stated a HbA1c of over 58 was uncontrolled. However plenty of diabetics with a lower Hba1c have been called to be vaccinated. Is your husband managed through his GP practice or a hospital clinic?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Champagne Sally

Through his GP. I just spoke with the doctor's receptionist there now and she said that at the moment they are only doing the over 70's and they have no instruction after that. They are awaiting guidance from the HSE. So I'm hopeful that as soon as this guidance come's (in the next 2/3 weeks I think) that he will get a call from our GP. It will be such a relief to see him vaccinated.

• Advertisement

Through his GP. I just spoke with the doctor's receptionist there now and she said that at the moment they are only doing the over 70's and they have no instruction after that. They are awaiting guidance from the HSE. So I'm hopeful that as soon as this guidance come's (in the next 2/3 weeks I think) that he will get a call from our GP. It will be such a relief to see him vaccinated.

It seems that those diabetics managed through their GP will be called after the over 70’s are done.

The HSE guidelines stated a HbA1c of over 58 was uncontrolled. However plenty of diabetics with a lower Hba1c have been called to be vaccinated. Is your husband managed through his GP practice or a hospital clinic?

For those attending a clinic, I think the clinic has to recommend them, certainly the way with mine from what I could gather from my DSN.

CramCycle wrote: »
    For those attending a clinic, I think the clinic has to recommend them, certainly the way with mine from what I could gather from my DSN.

Yes hospitals have supplied the HSE with a list but it doesn't seem to be based on HbA1c. Judging by the amount of posts on the Diabetes in Ireland FB page things are moving quickly so hopefully we will all called during April.

Yes hospitals have supplied the HSE with a list but it doesn't seem to be based on HbA1c. Judging by the amount of posts on the Diabetes in Ireland FB page things are moving quickly so hopefully we will all called during April.

Yeah, that was my impression, officially its HbA1c but unofficially its a recommendation from your team. My control is at its best in years, so if they follow guidelines I will get it with everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I just got a text for appointment at 5 PM tomorrow at WIT Arena I didn't think I'd be getting it for a few months (56 years old controlled diabetes). Bit shocked to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,165 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I got a text for my vaccine appointment next tuesday in beaumont hospital. my diabetes is well controlled and i'm early fifties. bit surprised tbh.

Yep it's unexpected - which vaccine for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Got vaccinated a few days ago. Astra Zenica. Had a fairly sore vaccination site the day after but apart from that all good. Am type 1 and my HBA1C was right on the bubble of 58 last check in September last year.
    Wasn't expected to be called yet either but assume they are getting through numbers fairly fast this week. I think this is the first or second proper week of supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,165 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yep it's unexpected - which vaccine for you?

AZ

AZ here too, 41 years old and last hospital Hba1c prior to the jab was 52, got it down to 46 since tho ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Johann.

Was onto Beaumount today and my name was on the list they put forward - they confirmed. Hopefully not too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gazboh17

Johann. wrote: »
    Was onto Beaumount today and my name was on the list they put forward - they confirmed. Hopefully not too long.

Got dose 1 today in Beaumont

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Taeholic

I got a call yesterday morning to get my vaccine at yesterday lunchtime. Not much notice but happy to have gotten mine. Controlled too. Recommendation was from my clinic not GP.
    Didn't feel too bad until last night I had horrific shakes, fever, chills, vomiting and full body ache. I got AZ vaccine.

Oh dear, did it last long? I've got a retinopathy eye test on Friday morning.

Oh dear, did it last long? I've got a retinopathy eye test on Friday morning.

The worst part was last night and all night at that. I got very little sleep so I was pretty out of it until lunchtime today so 24 hours for me. I know others that only had mild symptoms so you might be lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

I just got a text for appointment at 5 PM tomorrow at WIT Arena I didn't think I'd be getting it for a few months (56 years old controlled diabetes). Bit shocked to be honest.

Same got the text this afternoon my hba1c is well in control its AZ too but I wont refuse it

Jab done now waiting the for the side effects beyond a sore upper arm, also just got my retinopathy done so I've just about had enough of being a diabetic for the time being! :)

Jab done now waiting the for the side effects beyond a sore upper arm, also just got my retinopathy done so I've just about had enough of being a diabetic for the time being! :)

Keep the faith, you could be one of the lucky ones. I think the side effects usually start from 6/7 hours later. Sure it would be no fun at all if it was during the day lol

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mumser

Just checking if any of you attend Loughlinstown diabetes clinic and have been called for vaccination?

My HBA1C is a bit above the stated limit of 58 and I haven’t heard anything yet. I have a number for our DNS but they are so busy I’m hesitant of calling them. Rarely get a real voice and usually leave a message anyway....

• Advertisement

Mumser wrote: »
    Just checking if any of you attend Loughlinstown diabetes clinic and have been called for vaccination?

My HBA1C is a bit above the stated limit of 58 and I haven’t heard anything yet. I have a number for our DNS but they are so busy I’m hesitant of calling them. Rarely get a real voice and usually leave a message anyway....

Sorry not with Loughlinstown but I only got a call in the morning to go for my vaccine at lunchtime that day. If you're feeling anxious about it there's no harm ringing your DNS and making sure they have you on their list.

Advertisement