Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Mumser wrote: »
    Just checking if any of you attend Loughlinstown diabetes clinic and have been called for vaccination?

My HBA1C is a bit above the stated limit of 58 and I haven’t heard anything yet. I have a number for our DNS but they are so busy I’m hesitant of calling them. Rarely get a real voice and usually leave a message anyway....

My dad was done by Loughlinstown. Hope you get yours soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

I just got a text for appointment at 5 PM tomorrow at WIT Arena I didn't think I'd be getting it for a few months (56 years old controlled diabetes). Bit shocked to be honest.

Same age, Type 2, my last HB1AC was over 70, how do they select? Also have NAFLD, When am I likely to get called?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No idea really, The radio ads suggest that anyone judged at very high risk for medical reasons will be done during April however when in April is hard to say.

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/rollout/rollout.html#group4 end April

but also (note difference between VERY high and HIGH)

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/rollout/rollout.html#group7 starts May

Thanks Harry,
    I have emailed the HSE to see if I can get a clearer answer, I will ring my GP tomorrow to see if he knows, but I would not bet on him having an answer I am sad to say. I do not have any contact with a DNS, I am waiting on an email from Diabetes Ireland to put me in touch with who would be my best option in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I got a call today to attend for my vaccine tomorrow. Type 1 and my last HbA1c was 40. I’m not refusing it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

having read the posts of those who have not been called for their vaccine I can't understand how I received mine so soon. Might there be a bit of a lottery in regards to location? some locations working through their lists quicker than others?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

having read the posts of those who have not been called for their vaccine I can't understand how I received mine so soon. Might there be a bit of a lottery in regards to location? some locations working through their lists quicker than others?

A lot is definetly location and number in particular cohort per location so luck dependent,at least while vaccines are in relative tight supply.

How do you know what cohort you belong to?

How do you know what cohort you belong to?

https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/ireland-vaccine-queue
    There's some data there on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Taeholic

I got my first vaccine 8 days ago (AZ) and have found that I need to take an extra unit of Novorapid with all my meals to hit my targets.

Has anyone else had the same issue? I'm on Novorapid 7 months, can you build up resistance to insulin and therefore have to take more?

My DNS clinic who are normally extremely helpful have said not to worry as long as I'm not having hypos. It should settle down. Just curious if anyone has had similar?

• Advertisement

Been vaccinated a week also AZ but not noticed any shift in overall readings. Then again I'm less than rigorous so maybe not be very helpful :) If it's "about" right then it's right as far as I'm concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

I had dose 1 of the AZ vaccine on Sunday. My BG levels were slightly erratic on the Monday, mainly going towards low, in a similar manner as what I would expect 12-24 hours after a few pints, when the pubs were open :(

Mild side-effects (muscle aches, headache and sore arm) have all dissipated. I have been slightly dehydrated in the mornings since receiving the vaccine. My BGs have settled to their "normal" erratic levels now ;)

Been vaccinated a week also AZ but not noticed any shift in overall readings. Then again I'm less than rigorous so maybe not be very helpful :) If it's "about" right then it's right as far as I'm concerned

Thanks Harry, about a 40% increase in my bg readings so I want to get to the bottom of it or maybe a coincidence.

I had dose 1 of the AZ vaccine on Sunday. My BG levels were slightly erratic on the Monday, mainly going towards low, in a similar manner as what I would expect 12-24 hours after a few pints, when the pubs were open

Pubs? I've a vague memory of them lol glad you're feeling like yourself again

I'd raise the basal insulin by one unit per day for two days over a week so it's up 3 units over 6 days or 4 over 8, it's easy to end up chasing after yourself and messing about with carb intake when tweaking the short term insulin which is how dramatic highs/lows can occur. When it gets back to where you were keep basal at that level and just be ready to drop it back quickly if this is a passing phase.

I'd raise the basal insulin by one unit per day for two days over a week so it's up 3 units over 6 days or 4 over 8, it's easy to end up chasing after yourself and messing about with carb intake when tweaking the short term insulin which is how dramatic highs/lows can occur. When it gets back to where you were keep basal at that level and just be ready to drop it back quickly if this is a passing phase.

Good thinking, I'll definitely try that tonight. I went for a long walk earlier so that brought me right back down before dinner. I don't want my bg to fluctuate too much and I can't go for long walks everyday. Thanks a mill for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭uli84

Wish they weren’t giving AZ to diabetics. I am at risk of clots without it...

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mumser

I received a letter yesterday with an appointment for vaccination in the Aviva on Monday. I’ll certainly ask about possible early symptoms of any of the rare but serious side effects and keep an eye out for them.

I’m very happy though to know I’ll get it soon. The uncertainty can be very frustrating for most of us. Thank you to anyone posting about BG control post vaccination. I know it is very individual but can helpful to be prepared, especially if you are feeling under the weather at the time.

I received a letter yesterday with an appointment for vaccination in the Aviva on Monday. I’ll certainly ask about possible early symptoms of any of the rare but serious side effects and keep an eye out for them.

I’m very happy though to know I’ll get it soon. The uncertainty can be very frustrating for most of us. Thank you to anyone posting about BG control post vaccination. I know it is very individual but can helpful to be prepared, especially if you are feeling under the weather at the time.

when I got mine on tuesday they gave out a lot of information on side effects and the like. Have been filling like I have the flu since mind.

Like you said its very individual you might have no symptoms or major fluctuation in your BG. All you can do is be as prepared as possible. Enough insulin/medications, extra glucose monitor strips. Paracetamol too. Monitor your BG regularly.

My readings were high afterwards and continued for a week. One friend suffered with lows and the other had slight increase for 24 hours thats it. Best of luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

I got AstraZeneca on tuesday. Type 2.

Sugars were too bad. A little higher than normal but the highest they got was 7.

Was wrecked yesterday and had a mild fever and headache but I'm good now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Still no word of a vaccine appointment here.

Are things being posted out to people? I wouldn't trust an post with sending out this information based on past experiences

Are things being posted out to people? I wouldn't trust an post with sending out this information based on past experiences

I got mine via text message.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Johann.

Still waiting myself, fingers crossed it's in next week or so.

Registered for the Retina screening yesterday, very quick from HSE but took 3 calls to GP to be signed up - 3rd time i stayed on the phone whilst she done it! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Quick question re vaccine appointments - how are these being organised? i.e. are the appointments being organised and jabs given by specific clinics, or are people's names being put forward by clinics and GPs but the HSE centrally are making the appointments and the jabs being dispensed in a large hub like the Aviva?
    I know of people going to Beaumont who did the whole process there, but seems to be different systems everywhere. Spoke to my own clinic but I'm none the wiser, except for the fact that they definitely won't be dispensing it there.

I don't know specifically but it was almost certainly done via the diabetic unit in UHW for me as I've not darkened by GPs doorway in a few years.

And text message seems to be the only notification used as far as I can tell. Post is hardly much use given that the supply line is the driver and that has varied day by day week by week.

Xofpod wrote: »
    Quick question re vaccine appointments - how are these being organised? i.e. are the appointments being organised and jabs given by specific clinics, or are people's names being put forward by clinics and GPs but the HSE centrally are making the appointments and the jabs being dispensed in a large hub like the Aviva?
    I know of people going to Beaumont who did the whole process there, but seems to be different systems everywhere. Spoke to my own clinic but I'm none the wiser, except for the fact that they definitely won't be dispensing it there.

I THINK the Diabetic clinic in the hospital (UHG) put forward the list of their clients that met the criteria and the HSE appointments system sends out text messages based on that - for the Racecourse vaccination centre in this instance.

It's possible diabetics in the older age groups are getting the jab at the hospital/doctor but they might be getting that based on their age and requirement for the Pfizer vaccinne which I believe is only available for the older age groups and only in certain vaccination settings - may be wrong on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Can anyone help me regarding bread.
    I dont eat a lot of it but i miss having toast.Whats the best low carb bread and where can i buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭davork

Vaccines...

My HbA1C is 58 (tested Mar 26th, down from 100 in Mar 2019, and 69 about the same time in Mar 2020). Weight is also down from ~100kg to 88kg

So strictly speaking, I'm in cohort 4, but who knows ( linky https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/39038-provisional-vaccine-allocation-groups/ with the wording "Diabetes and HbA1C ≥58mmol/mol" )

I have had my first AZ jab, no side effects, but I probably had COVID in Jan 2020 (yes last year) - after catching it in the US (a few of the people I was with also had the same 'bad flu symptoms'). We thought nothing of it, and by the time the start of COVID was pushed further and further back from Mar 2020 to Sep 2019 (by testing water plant stool samples(!)), it was probably too late to get a blood test - not that the GP had any interest in organizing one! As an aside, the brain fog has pretty much gone now as has the anxiety I suddenly gained early last year...

For a data point - My Blood sugar has been consistently reading higher across the board, on the same diet and more walking! Thighs are burning more than usual (for me, indicates a blood sugar spike and lo and behold, its gone from 8.5 to 9.8 in the past hour - time for a walk! )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Xofpod wrote: »

Beaumont put forward a list of their diabetic patients and those who had vaccine appointments were contacted via text message with a time and date, what vaccine you were getting and you had to reply yes or no

Advertisement