Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midleton Very Rare

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I got an email earlier today than Celtic Whiskey Shop were selling some stock of the 2019 - priced €250.
    Out of curiosity I checked the site now and it's sold out.
    So still a lot of interest there.

It was sold out almost as soon as the email went out. Had a gander as well when I got the mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lightscribe

I've been give a bottle of Barry Crockett Legacy as a gift and I'm just wondering if it's worth storing for a few years, is it one where the value will more than likely go up?

I know little to nothing about whiskey so thanks for opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I've been give a bottle of Barry Crockett Legacy as a gift and I'm just wondering if it's worth storing for a few years, is it one where the value will more than likely go up?

I'll mind it for ya.

They being said, most on here are of the "drink it" sort and as the BC is genuinely a gorgeous drop, I'd be of the same opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Bottle of 2021 Midleton I was watching on Catawiki auction just went for 600 euro.

It's a lovely gift. It was released in 2011 and is still available for sale so it's not a limited release like the annual Midleton Very Rare or something like the Dair Ghaelach series. I saw a few go for around 220 at auction in the last two months. There has been a couple of packaging redesigns which might be a factor for collectors one day. I'd say it'll remain steady price wise unless it's discontinued but that doesn't look likely at the moment.

As Bonnie says I'd drink it as it's a stunning whiskey and certainly lives up to its name.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Drink it, that's likely what the giver intended you to do.

Small scale whiskey investment - one or two bottles - is near impossible to make money on due to the fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Cazale wrote: »
    Bottle of 2021 Midleton I was watching on Catawiki auction just went for 600 euro.

There is never a shortage of idiots.

There is another release of the 2021 in June/July and another release in oct/nov where you can get it for 180.

So someone’s got one bottle where they could have got 3.
    One to drink, two to keep for a few years and get your 600 back easily.

There is never a shortage of idiots.

There is another release of the 2021 in June/July and another release in oct/nov where you can get it for 180.

It's madness especially at the moment with MVR 20 and 21. I follow the auctions fairly closely out of interest but I've never bought anything off them as I'd end up drinking anything I bought for investment.

odyssey06 wrote:
    I got an email earlier today than Celtic Whiskey Shop were selling some stock of the 2019 - priced €250. Out of curiosity I checked the site now and it's sold out. So still a lot of interest there.

Celtic Whiskey will have more 2019 for sale tomorrow.

Cazale wrote:
    Celtic Whiskey will have more 2019 for sale tomorrow.

On sale now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

for 250 though. I've seen it in stock in Tesco and Dunnes fairly recently for it's normal retail price. The hoopla over 2020 and 21 seems to have created a demand that wasn't there for 2019 though it's still in stock

Weepsie wrote:
    for 250 though. I've seen it in stock in Tesco and Dunnes fairly recently for it's normal retail price. The hoopla over 2020 and 21 seems to have created a demand that wasn't there for 2019 though it's still in stock

Yeah I saw it up North a few months ago in an off licence for 130 Sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭head82

Cazale wrote: »
    On sale now.

Is it not a bit strange that this latest 2019 batch is 75cl ?
    I would have thought all releases to be a consistent 70cl.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,386 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

head82 wrote: »
    Is it not a bit strange that this latest 2019 batch is 75cl ?
    I would have thought all releases to be a consistent 70cl.

I wonder if it could have been destined for a market where bottle size is 750ml.
    Drop in travel retail sales.
    Redirected here.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭head82

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I wonder if it could have been destined for a market where bottle size is 750ml.
    Drop in travel retail sales.
    Redirected here.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. There's an image posted on another thread of a pallet load in a warehouse and on the side of one of the cases is a label with 'USA' clearly visible.

odyssey06 wrote:
    I wonder if it could have been destined for a market where bottle size is 750ml. Drop in travel retail sales. Redirected here.

Yeah it's US stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BBoomerang

Hi,
    Just wondering if there is a place where people sell/exchange MVR? I'm not into this at all but my husband started to collect them in 2013 and has all of Brian Nation's collection, except for 2020. I know they're like gold dust but he has two of some years so hoping he might get lucky in a swap if their is a hole in their collection.....can anyone direct us to a virtual marketplace? Thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭sceach16

BBoomerang wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just wondering if there is a place where people sell/exchange MVR? I'm not into this at all but my husband started to collect them in 2013 and has all of Brian Nation's collection, except for 2020. I know they're like gold dust but he has two of some years so hoping he might get lucky in a swap if their is a hole in their collection.....can anyone direct us to a virtual marketplace? Thanks very much

few groups like this on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/376064726329631

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BBoomerang

Thanks a mill!

Looking to pick up a bottle of this for a present, wasn't expecting the demand to be so high. Does anyone know anywhere with it in stock currently? Preferably not for sky high prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭mikeecho

$hifty wrote: »
    Looking to pick up a bottle of this for a present, wasn't expecting the demand to be so high. Does anyone know anywhere with it in stock currently? Preferably not for sky high prices.

A bottle of 2020 or 2021.?

2021 will be back in shops in the coming months.

Some time in July for the next batch and the remainder in October is what I've heard. There will be higher quantities available too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

mikeecho wrote: »
    After auction fees etc.. you'll be at a loss.

So the recent auction results:
    €470, €500, €520, €450, €430, €380, €460.

Effects wrote: »
    So the recent auction results:
    €470, €500, €520, €450, €430, €380, €460.

They'll drop soon enough.. 2021 will be back on the shelves again in a few months.. and again for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

mikeecho wrote: »
    They'll drop soon enough.. 2021 will be back on the shelves again in a few months.. and again for Christmas.

Doesn't matter if they drop later on in the year. If I had put my bottle in the auction when i thought about it, I'd have a tidy profit to spend on other whiskey to drink. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ContinentCat

Anyone have updates on when to expect the next batch of very rare 2021 to be released?

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

Anyone have updates on when to expect the next batch of very rare 2021 to be released?

Anywhere you can pre order for when it is released.

Also a pre order for 2022?

When the last batch was released we were told July for the next one, now we are being told September before it's out again.

AFAIK , they are making sure that they have stock for the Xmas/ corporate market.

It'll be interesting to see that the 2022 roll out will look like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Got a bottle of the 2016 when it was released and kept it for a special occasion. Only found it again recently. Wondering if it's worth holding onto for another few years? From a quick Google it seems to have been the last release before they modernised the bottle and box. Wondering if that would make it more collectible?

Advertisement