Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"And why do we fall Bruce?"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Fantastic run and a very enjoyable report. Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

That was a great read. The sub-7-minute goal was such a good idea. What a cracking run. Until the cramp issue, you just got stronger and stronger. Really delighted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Brilliant race report & even better race! Well done on such a well executed run, really happy for you:)

Gotta love a bit of Eminem for motivation;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Enjoyed that one J. Brilliant run, just reward for the training. Very dedicated to stay in the game with nobody around!

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Congrats on a super marathon! It must be amazing to feel so good all the way around, bar the darn calf cramp.

My homeplace is Rooskey, but on the Tarmon road, so only a few miles from your route - it was nice to be able to visualise parts of your run. I was going to say maybe next year I'll go down home and cheer you on, but hopefully you'll be back running the streets of Dublin by then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭gucci

Once again a massive well done to you CBG, 2 years of very dedicated and focused training has unleashed the potential pedgeree that I had every confidence that you had.

A very enjoyable report too, had a lump in my throat thinking of being back home. I recall doing that 1 mile race back in the day, I was always blowing out after about 50metres and crying for most of the rest.

Take your time and recover now, and enjoy being in the sub 3 club!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Meanwhile in Wayne Enterprises...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Congrats J. I'm a little bit in awe to be honest, on a few counts. Firstly, such fantastic progress since 2018, and secondly the solo nature of the run - just amazing how you could run a sub 3 in such conditions. As others have said, it just shows what a great runner you are.. well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Been a long long time since I updated here or even touched base with the other logs that I frequent.
    January and February went by with no clear structure to my training other than using it as something to get out of the house to de-stress after rigours of juggling home schooling and WFH!
    With 2 of the 3 kids going back to school a couple of weeks ago I decided to try and get a proper training structure back in place and avoid more time passing by with no progress other than mentally calling it base building.

Having never raced a 5k (yeah I know rolleyes.png) I decided to dip my toe into a 12 week plan from Faster Road running. No real target in mind other than getting in 12 weeks consistent training and seeing where that brings me. So off I go....

Monday 1st March- 9 miles at General Aerobic to ease into the plan. Drawback from leaving it almost 2 weeks before detailing this run is that I can remember absolutely nothing of this one. Average pace of 7:42/mile so it was box ticked and first day done.

Wednesday 3rd- 9 miles with LT intervals of 10, 8, and another 8 mins .Was supposed to do this on Tuesday but the day slipped by with WFH, homework and a bit of procrastination.
    2 mile warm up and into the first interval in the hard shoulder of N5. Try and keep this one relatively tidy and consistent and it averages 6:08/mile. Have the advantage of a bit of a hill to start the second one which pushes me on a bit and it comes in at 5:58/mile. 3rd one starts out ok but starting to feel it towards the end battling a bit of a headwind and glad to see the 8 mins are done and with an average of 6:05/mile.
    Definitely one to air out any cobwebs!

Thursday 4th- 9 mile endurance run.
    Same circuit as used on Monday. Break the run into 3 different pace groups.
    First 3 miles @ 7:45/mile which actually comes in at 7:41, 7:35 and 7:28. Cant remember why those last 2 miles were a bit faster than they were supposed to confused.png
    Next 3 are 7:28, 7:13, and 7:11 with the last 3 at a quicker pace coming in at 6:55, 6:51, and 6:50.
    Just looked at the run on Strava and I now remember that this was supposed to be a 10 mile attempt at the boards progression challenge.
    I was trying for the 5 second block and missed the first 2 splits. Into the thrird split I had to stop to answer call of nature and fix my sock where I could feel it catching on a toenail. I didn't stop my watch so had to lift the pace afterwards to try and meet 7:23 but my on the wire maths were out and I copped too late that I wasn't going fast enough. I baled on the plan at that stage and reverted to the 9 mile endurance run as outlined in the plan.

Friday 5th- 6 miles with hill sprints and strides.
    Birthday run on the way from from my once a week trip to the office!

Was supposed to be 8 miles but I only had time for 6. Just a straight in and out on part of my go to 9 mile loop. Couple of short sharp hills on this stretch so used the second one on it that I hadn't used before. Checked the watch for the first one to mark off the 12 second sprint. This happened to coincide with an ESB pole which was handy!
    I couldn't remember how many I was supposed to do and ended up doing 7 sprints instead of the 6 required, no biggie!
    Few mins later (recovery!) and into the strides. Just did them for 20 seconds each and off for 40. Again I couldn't remember how many the plan said to do so ended up doing 10 instead of the 8 but no biggie!

Saturday 6th- 10 mile progression run.

Attempt 2 at the boards challenge. First mile was 7:44 so "just" a matter of hitting 5 second negative splits from here on. Got the first one bang on but the next 3 slipped by being a second out on each, really hard to judge those last 50 metres! Ended up only hitting 4 splits bang on the 5 seconds with the rest being a second or 2 at but have to say I enjoyed it and it was a nice distraction to pass each mile.

Sunday 7th- 6 mile recovery run

First time crossing the Shannon on a run in ages. Headed out at 4 o clock, 2 hours and roast dinner and second helpings but didn't feel too eugh for it and the pace wasn't too hectic anyways. I had the Manchester derby written off in my head so not fussed about missing the early stages so was nice surprise to come home and the eldest bursting out to meet me to tell me we were 1 nil up smile.png

Is it just me or are there a lot less Liverpool best team ever comments on the training logs lately pacman.gif

So that's week 1 done. Will hopefully get week 2 up on Sunday so that I can actually remember the details of individual runs a bit better!

Good to be back on here!

I read the comments on the "complicated" thread so I would hope to interact more on other people's threads going forward rather than my standard go to of reading and giving a thanks so apologies in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Wottle

Good to be back on here!

I read the comments on the "complicated" thread so I would hope to interact more on other people's threads going forward rather than my standard go to of reading and giving a thanks so apologies in advance!

That's what I've taken from the thread as well. Best of luck with the 5K program.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Welcome back UDH!!!

I was gonna welcome you back but not after reading that Liverpool comment :rolleyes: Defo don't ever remember saying we are the best team ever:P

Will be dying to see how this plan goes & indeed your 1st ever 5k!!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭edinrunna

I honestly don't think I could run on the hard shoulder of a national road! My philosophy on running routes is the further away from cars I am the better. I need to appreciate how lucky I am to have plenty of off road routes close by a bit more I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

edinrunna wrote: »
    I honestly don't think I could run on the hard shoulder of a national road! My philosophy on running routes is the further away from cars I am the better. I need to appreciate how lucky I am to have plenty of off road routes close by a bit more I think!

Yeah hard shoulders only if have to. Wear bright colours and ideally early morning pre traffic. We had a hit and run on our own road this week and Mrs Shotgun now wants to know where I'm running, hi viz, watch charged etc..

I rarely go a run with seeing someone speeding and not just young guys.

Welcome back CBG, have fun with the 5k plan and thanks for participating in the challenges too!

edinrunna wrote: »
    Yeah hard shoulders only if have to. Wear bright colours and ideally early morning pre traffic. We had a hit and run on our own road this week and Mrs Shotgun now wants to know where I'm running, hi viz, watch charged etc..

I rarely go a run with seeing someone speeding and not just young guys.

Welcome back CBG, have fun with the 5k plan and thanks for participating in the challenges too!

I live on a short cul de sac a few hundred metres off the N5 so I have no choice but use it. Any route I do after that I still have a minimum of 3 miles to do on the hard shoulder.
    Not ideal but it is a generous width and I've never had an issue up to now (touch wood). The worst thing though is when running into a strong headwind ya basically experience a wind tunnel anytime an artic truck passes!

Thanks for taking the initiative to set up the challenges M, been great in these times. Planning on trying the 1 second increment one next Monday!

Wottle wrote: »
    That's what I've taken from the thread as well. Best of luck with the 5K program.
    OOnegative wrote: »
    Welcome back UDH!!!
    I was gonna welcome you back but not after reading that Liverpool comment :rolleyes: Defo don't ever remember saying we are the best team ever:P

Will be dying to see how this plan goes & indeed your 1st ever 5k!!

Thanks guys!

Liverpool's form has been just the tonic for me lately E! I'll enjoy it for now cause Klopp is great manager and I have no doubt he'll correct things and ye'll be back next season after summer reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Thanks guys!

Liverpool's form has been just the tonic for me lately E! I'll enjoy it for now cause Klopp is great manager and I have no doubt he'll correct things and ye'll be back next season after summer reset.

Welcome back! Avoiding a target eh...:pac: Sure you can see from Treviso and Lambay Island the territory that lads your age run ;)

As for Liverpool I think their return is less based on Klopp and more on whether their 22 asthmatics can get the same meds they got the last couple of years :D

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Welcome back! Avoiding a target eh...:pac: Sure you can see from Treviso and Lambay Island the territory that lads your age run ;)

As for Liverpool I think their return is less based on Klopp and more on whether their 22 asthmatics can get the same meds they got the last couple of years :D

Thanks S! Oh I have a long way to go to close the gap on those lads looking at the stuff they have been putting up on Strava!
    Ok I have a provisional target of getting under 18 mins but I'm really just looking forward to getting a solid block of training in.

For whatever reason I'm aware of the asthma meds link but never really read into it further. I'd day their distance covered stats would make interesting reading alright!

Great to see ya back consistently on Strava again and having ditched that old profile pic!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ha ha, I twigged that 9/10 mile challenge run before you did!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Ok I have a provisional target of getting under 18 mins but I'm really just looking forward to getting a solid block of training in.

Good to see your sandbagging is as sharp as ever!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Thanks S! Oh I have a long way to go to close the gap on those lads looking at the stuff they have been putting up on Strava!

Gerrup outta that, you have the aul modest act down to a tee. :)

Welcome back UDH!!!

It's literally only after coming to me what UDH means, I was thinking you had made a typo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

It's literally only after coming to me what UDH means, I was thinking you had made a typo!!

I thought I touched a nerve so I didn’t ask weather you got it!! I won’t use it again.

I thought I touched a nerve so I didn’t ask weather you got it!! I won’t use it again.

No not at all lad, i can give it out and take it!

I kept thinking it was Up De something beginning with H but couldn't work out what ya meant until it popped into my stupid UDH out of nowhere!

Mon 8th- 9 miles GA

Working out in the rain for the day so I had well over 10k steps done before starting into this one so can't say I was feeling it early on!
    That feeling passed soon enough and was just a vanilla trek afterwards with an average of 7:42/mile.

Wed 10th- 11 miles with hill intervals

Was supposed to do this on the Tuesday but with work and other stuff the day got away from me.
    Oh what a day of weather this was! Thought the clouds looked pretty threatening as I was setting off and sure enough 3 minutes into the run and my shorts and DCM19 finishers top are absolutely stuck to me after a heavy shower of rain.
    Couple of miles into the run the sun is back out and everything looks good but the wind is getting stronger and stronger and of course I'm facing into it as soon as I reach my chosen hill. Not sure what gradient it is but its a long drag that gets progressively steeper and no problem of running out of hill before the prescribed 3 minute interval is up!
    Didn't enjoy these one bit but that was solely down to the weather. Absolutely drenched and running uphill into a strong headwind along the hard shoulder of main road meant that any time a truck passed I was almost running on the spot thanks to the drag of wind after each one. Couple of beeps from passing cars pointing at the crazy guy running on those conditions did nothing for my humour!
    Pulled the plug after the 4th interval, couldn't face another one!
    Didn't notice it while running but my top weighed a ton taking it off back at the car!

Thurs 11th- 10 mile endurance run

Did this one on way home from work.
    Getting changed and the black clouds are back so put on my light running jacket for this one. Manage to get the first couple of miles done before the first sprinkling of light rain but it feels slightly stingy and sure enough its the start of a hail shower. Running into a really strong headwind means I'm absolutely bombarded with hail for a full 2 mins. I have to put my head down as I'm getting battered and just praying I don't run into someone or something coming in my direction!
    They finish just as mile 3 is completed with this block of the endurance run being done in 7:48, 7:42 and 7:37.
    Out into the open bog for the 4th mile where I have to lift the pace a bit to start the middle block but I'm straight into the headwind now and my jacket is like a parachute. With all the white noise from the wind and my jacket flapping I don't actually hear a couple of cars passing me from behind.
    Once this mile is over though I'm back into an area of trees so out of the wind. Miles 4-6 are 7:27 (Effort wise I'd say that one could have been a minute quicker!), 7:23 and 7:20.
    Last 4 miles take in a different loop but again it's not nearly as exposed and the wind is working with me for the majority of these 4 miles which come in at 7:05, 6:59, 6:55, and 6:56.

Friday 12th- 9 miles with hill sprints and strides

Same as last week but I actually remember the right number of sprints and strides for this one! Take in the 9 mile loop again but in reverse so that I get the hill in the second half of the run.
    Enjoy the effort of the 6 hill sprints and then the 8 sets of 20 second strides straight after. Lovely day out for a run too!

Saturday 13th- 12 mile endurance run.

Same type run as Thursday except an extra mile in each block. Nothing too exciting or memorable about it!

Sunday 14th- 6 mile recovery run

Handy run out around the clonmore loop and home again. Picked Leicester this weekend in LMS and left when it was 0-0 after 30 mins or so. Spent most of the run imagining how they were going to let me down etc so was nice to click into the phone when I got home to see they had won 5-0, I live for another week!
    Average pace of 8:24/mile.

Nice feeling again to put a couple of 50+ mile weeks back to back. Hopefully everything goes to plan and I add another 10 weeks to them!

Monday 15th- 10 miles GA

The plan had 9 miles in it but said I'd try and do the 1 second progression for the Boards March Challenge.
    Lovely day out for a run around my go too loop. This loop is literally the back of beyond, it's so quiet but todays nice pace meant I was really able to take in the amount of littering and fly tipping going on. everything from bunches of bald tires to stair gates and everything in between including bags of used nappies, like WTF like.
    Started the first mile at 7:49 and missed the first 2 splits by a second each time. I then hit the next 6 bang on and was cock a hoop! Was too fast doing the final one so slowed almost to a walk for last 30 metres but miscalculated the couple of seconds it takes for the mile to beep after the face goes from 0.99 to 1.00 so did this one a second too slow and fecked up the whole 10 mile slow progression. To cap it all i forgot to stop the watch until i did the short bit to my car and finished with a distance of 10.05 :rolleyes:

Tuesday 16th- 10 miles with 3 x 10 mins @ LT

Day in the office today so did this one on my way home around my own personal route!
    LT should be in the range 6:10-6:15/mile when I was in better shape but said I'd aim for that this time out. I can't really remember these intervals tbh but i did them a bit on the quick side averaging about 6:05 each, I do remember being glad the third one was over though.
    Before starting this one i caught the tail end of Moncrief Show and he had a guest on talking about some American cocaine smuggler and how he had to shed his load after being intercepted by DEA plane, a bear ended up eating one of the bales and has become pretty famous in death after it. Of course the show ends with Eric Clapton singing Cocaine which i had as an earworm for the whole trip, could have been worse as its a good tune!
    Checked the song out on Youtube later and the comments are hilarious with people inserting their own lyrics to the tune set piece.
    My own favourite being:

"When your parents get shot
    And there's a clown to be fought
    Bruce Wayne" :pac:

Wednesday 17th- 4 miles @ easy

Mrs CBG was on nights so swapped Wednesday and Thursday of the plan around. Handy trot around the Clondra loop on a lovely morning.

Thursday 18th- 10 mile endurance run

Maybe my favourite type of run lately. Nothing too exciting or notable about this one. Hit the 3 target paces and ticked it off the list.

Friday 19th- 8 miles with 2 sets of 5 x 300 metre intervals

First time setting up a workout via Garmin Connect (ReeReeG would be so proud!!).
    15 minute warm up and then into them. Plan said mile pace which last years Boards TT gave me as 5:09 so aimed for that.
    Pushed them too hard early doors not realising how deceptively long 300 metres actually is! The first 5 splits were 5:02, 4:55, 4:53, 5:01 and 5:04. Was glad of the 4 minute break between sets!
    Next 5 on the homeward journey were 5:00, 4:48, 4:54, 5:01, and 5:09 where i was well out of steam!
    Note to self, never underestimate a 300 metre interval again!

Saturday 20th- 10 mile progression

An attempt at the medium risk progression challenge which looks for alternate 1 second and 33 second progression splits.
    Took the first mile nice and handy at 8:46 but did the next one at 8:44 (flip sake!)
    Next mile was 8:11 which was bang on but ended up with the same split for the next mile.
    Moving up a gear again and I land on 7:37 (1 second out). A bit further on and i can see 2 ladies walking and doing so socially distant meaning they are either side of the 1 car width road. If they don't hear me approaching I know i could give them a fright so I abandon the loop and just turn around.
    For whatever reason I have a nose bleed during this mile and of course I'm wearing a plain white t shirt! Luckily its a light enough one so i don't quite look like roadkill when it finishes.
    I miss the next progression with another 7:37 split but get the next one bang on at 7:04 but am too quick for next one at 7:02.
    Miss the last 2 splits as well by a second or 2 with splits of 6:28 and 6:25 but an enjoyable run none the less and really helps with motivations so shout out to Shotgunmcos for the great idea!

Sunday 21st- 6 miles @ easy

Lovely morning out for a gentle run around. Following on from my earlier Clapton earworm, this morning I had another banging tune of his in Layla going through my head. Images of pink cadillacs and poor old Batts in the meat chill for company the whole trip (surely everyone gets the reference!!).

Brill to see ariana and Treviso smashing PBs in virtual TTs, really helps keep the motivation levels topped up, well done guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

First time setting up a workout via Garmin Connect (ReeReeG would be so proud!!).

Only 17 million years later than the rest of us

I haven't listened to Layla in years, isn't it mad how songs can trigger certain memories...My aunt & uncle were obsessed with Eric Clapton & named their 1st daughter Layla. Tragically she was murdered over 20 years ago & that song was played at her funeral, was tough to listen to it after that but I put it on earlier & enjoyed listening to it again...what a classic song!

I haven't listened to Layla in years, isn't it mad how songs can trigger certain memories...My aunt & uncle were obsessed with Eric Clapton & named their 1st daughter Layla. Tragically she was murdered over 20 years ago & that song was played at her funeral, was tough to listen to it after that but I put it on earlier & enjoyed listening to it again...what a classic song!

God E, that's awful. Hope the song reminds you of all that was good in her life.

• Advertisement

God E, that's awful. Hope the song reminds you of all that was good in her life.

I smiled listening to it again, yes lots of great memories! I have now added it to one of my playlists :)

Advertisement