Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,253 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

ablelocks wrote: »
    co-op superstores have this online @ €189 (€50 delivery though)

Crate of Kiln Dried Beech Logs 430kg
    Kiln-dried beech logs are perfect and ready to use in most stoves and fireplaces. Product is made from FSC certified wood from well managed forests in EU. The moisture content of Beech Log is less than 20% and log length less than 25cm. Pallet Dimensions, 110 x 80 x 100cm. Pallet size 0.97M. Volume of Firewood 0.80M

edit : Limerick store has 2 of these for €360 and an 850kg crate for €349 :-

I think some one put up earlier in the thread that the centers are wet. If you could buy and open pallet and leave in an open shed to dry they be grand next winter. Small trailer would allow you to collect

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

I think some one put up earlier in the thread that the centers are wet. If you could buy and open pallet and leave in an open shed to dry they be grand next winter. Small trailer would allow you to collect

Timber is like a sponge, Kiln dried timber has a MC of around 7-10%, leave this outside and the MC will increase to between 20-25% over the winter I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

Moisture metres in Aldi this Thursday 25/02 for €12 for those interested

https://www.aldi.ie/ferrex-moisture-sensor/p/803173437477202

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blindsider

They also have a stove fan for €25 for all you freestanding stove owners.

Mine is inset so :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

are the fans any good ?

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    are the fans any good ?

I have a stove fan a d it definately helps to heat the room faster and more evenly than without it. However if you are letting the stove go out later in the night it's a good idea to remove fan from stove

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Sasso wrote: »
    Moisture metres in Aldi this Thursday 25/02 for €12 for those interested

https://www.aldi.ie/ferrex-moisture-sensor/p/803173437477202

For anyone buying keep your receipt, my one from Aldi stopped taking readings after a year. Brought it back under the 3 year warranty and got a refund with no problems

Muahahaha wrote: »
    For anyone buying keep your receipt, my one from Aldi stopped taking readings after a year. Brought it back under the 3 year warranty and got a refund with no problems

Always worth doing with esp. electrical items - they're very good to honour the warranty!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭Firblog

I have a stove fan a d it definately helps to heat the room faster and more evenly than without it. However if you are letting the stove go out later in the night it's a good idea to remove fan from stove

Why so?

Firblog wrote: »
    Why so?

As at that stage it start to create a draft as the air cools

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

As at that stage it start to create a draft as the air cools

But does it not just stop moving when the heat dissipates?

vicwatson wrote: »
    But does it not just stop moving when the heat dissipates?

It dose but it takes time I just find as the stove cooks down it can create a draft like effect

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Scruff wrote: »
    €350 for 1.8m3 kiln dried oak delivered (probably external measurements)
    works out at €195/m3 delivered

https://eireecofuels.ie/product/kiln-dried-oak-firewood-double-pallet/

1.8m3 did indeed turn out to be the external dimensions of the pallet.
    1.45m3 is the actual internal dimensions so price is really €241/m3 stacked delivered. :(

Will be trying truck/trailer loads in future methinks..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

good one wrote: »
    Dundalk Area

Burnwise.ie
    or pick up from EK Fuels on Armagh Rd (R177) AKA Lisdoo Rd.

Kiln Dried Hardwood

2m3 380euro
    1.3m3 240euro
    1m3 200euro

Free delivery nationwide

I got a few bags of ash to try them out. They claim to be <20% but they seem to be about 24% moisture.

Do you know anything about the guy on the old Dublin road that is selling kiln dried bags?

Scruff wrote: »
    1.8m3 did indeed turn out to be the external dimensions of the pallet.
    1.45m3 is the actual internal dimensions so price is really €241/m3 stacked delivered. :(

Will be trying truck/trailer loads in future methinks..

Its a fair whack off, by my calculation the difference between the external and internal dimensions there is just over 20%. I've still to measure my own 2m3 crate internally before I break it down for kindling but would expect similar numbers. The pallet base alone is about 20cms in height so you're already down a bit on that.

I think if you have the storage space then buying in bulk by the trailer load is the way to go. There is a fair saving on price when buying it in that kind of bulk and would definitely work out good bit cheaper than 241/m3. Question though is can you get trailer loads of kiln dried oak or ash? Maybe theyre out there but anytime Ive seen trailer loads advertised it seems to be locally grown softwoods like pine.
    bogman wrote: »
    Timber is like a sponge, Kiln dried timber has a MC of around 7-10%, leave this outside and the MC will increase to between 20-25% over the winter I guess.

Just to confirm this I bought the Aldi moisture meter earlier today just to have it. I was topping up the indoor log store and did a few tests with it. Everything coming from the outside log store was around 20-24% moisture content. The few logs that were still indoors had been lying there for about a month and I checked three of them- the meter read them at 9.2%, 8.4% and one was as low as 6.3%. So they're clearly getting a lot drier when left indoors for a few weeks before burning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

The moisture meter is only testing the surface of the wood. Moisture won’t penetrate hard wood that is sheltered outdoors and having it indoors is not going to make a difference to anything other than the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭skydish79

We are cutting down trees at the minute

- Is it best leave the wood out in the open from now until September
    - Then move it indoor over the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

skydish79 wrote: »
    We are cutting down trees at the minute

- Is it best leave the wood out in the open from now until September
    - Then move it indoor over the winter

The sooner you get it split and under cover the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I think if you have the storage space then buying in bulk by the trailer load is the way to go. There is a fair saving on price when buying it in that kind of bulk and would definitely work out good bit cheaper than 241/m3. Question though is can you get trailer loads of kiln dried oak or ash? Maybe theyre out there but anytime Ive seen trailer loads advertised it seems to be locally grown softwoods like pine.

That's the big problem, only softwoods from what i can find from commercial suppliers that do truck loads. Only other hope is donedeal/adverts for farmers or people clearing land and then ye dont really know what you are getting. If sustainability is a factor in your purchasing decision then best skip the private suppliers altogether. I've a great drying shed so seasoning myself isnt a problem, it sourcing.

Connolly saw mills will do truck loads of kiln dried hardwood but they only take off the cost of the delivery if you order the equivalent of 3 x 1 ton bags and you need to be within 20km. So not much of a saving there.

Years ago, we used to be able to buy a tree and my father, his workmate and 2 kids would go up to the wood for a day. We'd fell 2 trees and split them into lengths, load them on a big trailer and divide them 50/50 for the 2 houses.

Dad's workmate would bring a shotgun and we'd have a few pops each at crows and rats - sworn to secrecy!

Over the next week, we'd split them further at home, and stack them in the shed 6 months before we'd need them. Good times.

I suppose you can't do that nowadays...buy a tree and then fell it yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭philboy

Hi Guys,
    I got a few pallets of coal and a double pallet of Hornbeam wood from Coal Warehouse last month. We split the wood amongst three households and we've noticed over the passed two weeks a large amount or red bettles or Lilly beetles coming out from the wood.

Have any of you purchased the Hornbeam and noticed this?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭kil

philboy wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    I got a few pallets of coal and a double pallet of Hornbeam wood from Coal Warehouse last month. We split the wood amongst three households and we've noticed over the passed two weeks a large amount or red bettles or Lilly beetles coming out from the wood.

Have any of you purchased the Hornbeam and noticed this?

I got a pallet of oak from Dairygold Co-op and the sample happened. Never happened me before, freaked the **** out of me - I went through the wood at a rapid rate just to get of them. I don't think it affects the burning performance.
    Would we worth giving the feedback to Coal Warehouse.

kil wrote: »
    I got a pallet of oak from Dairygold Co-op and the sample happened. Never happened me before, freaked the **** out of me - I went through the wood at a rapid rate just to get of them. I don't think it affects the burning performance.
    Would we worth giving the feedback to Coal Warehouse.

I did indeed give the feedback to them and they said that the supplier hasn't noticed any insects. They also said they contacted someone who also buys wood from that supplier and he also hasn't had any issues.

I said I would check here to see if anyone else came across the issue.

Were the beetles in your wood the same as the ones in my picture?

I did indeed give the feedback to them and they said that the supplier hasn't noticed any insects. They also said they contacted someone who also buys wood from that supplier and he also hasn't had any issues.

I said I would check here to see if anyone else came across the issue.

Were the beetles in your wood the same as the ones in my picture?

Picture?

vicwatson wrote: »
    Picture?

Apologies, here is the picture

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Looks like Pyrrhidium sanguineum - 'Longhorn beetle'

See some of the reported sightings on this page, looks similar.
    https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/uk-and-ireland/species-dictionary/NBNSYS0000011041/pyrrhidium-sanguineum

Fond of hanging out in wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭laros

If its a potential Alien species try get a decent picture and contact Bio diversity Ireland to record the sighting , kill them as you find them. I had a similar problem in work a few years ago with vans coming from England for refurbishment and finding colonies of Harlequin Ladybirds behind the fittings on the vans.
    https://records.biodiversityireland.ie/record/invasives#7/53.455/-8.016

Did the wood seller say where the timber originated?

The wood is from Latvia originally

• Advertisement

Is the beetle native to Ireland anyway or only as an import?

Advertisement