Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I ordered a crate of kiln dried beach I think it was from PJ O'Mahoney, it was delivered wrapped in plastic. When I ripped it open to start stacking in the shed it looked like great wood, dry, clean and nicely packed. But unfortunately as I got through the crate I found that about half the wood was soaking wet, looks like it must have got wet in storage or transport. Unusable stuff and I have no means of letting it dry out.

That was over a week ago, I'm still waiting to hear back from them. I guess it's a lesson learned to check the delivery before they leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

How can you check the wood in the middle of the crate?! The delivery driver won't hang around for 20 mins while you check the crate.

bailey99 wrote: »
    How can you check the wood in the middle of the crate?! The delivery driver won't hang around for 20 mins while you check the crate.

Yeah true but in my case all the wood and the crate was wet down two sides, if I had removed the plastic when it was delivered I would have seen it. It got wet from the outside in (I'm positive the wood had been kiln dried) and then at some stage after that it got wrapped in plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Sconsey wrote: »
    I ordered a crate of kiln dried beach I think it was from PJ O'Mahoney, it was delivered wrapped in plastic. When I ripped it open to start stacking in the shed it looked like great wood, dry, clean and nicely packed. But unfortunately as I got through the crate I found that about half the wood was soaking wet, looks like it must have got wet in storage or transport. Unusable stuff and I have no means of letting it dry out.

That was over a week ago, I'm still waiting to hear back from them. I guess it's a lesson learned to check the delivery before they leave.

I know this is no use right now but if you leave the wood in the shed over summer it should dry out a bit. Just ensure there is some ventilation like an open window or door. If you've space to store it indoors in the same room as the fire it will dry out even quicker. It will take about 3 to 4 weeks but it will get drier so you can use it. Ive tested wood that has been about 20% moisture coming from outside and after about 3-4 weeks inside near the fire it has dropped to 8-10%

Still pretty bad the company havent got back to you though, maybe follow it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It looks like this wood was stored outside for a while at some stage in the last while. . When water got into it the outside of the stack dried. This left the middle wet as the logs are stacked, the centre has failed to dry. However hardwood is slow to soak water...unless these stacks were out in the rain for a longtime. You would be amazed how fast they will dry out but it is annoying when you are paying a premium price. Try to store a few under or near your stove after 3-4 days they should be dry enough to burn.do not put them in at the start of the fire but rather after 90 minutes when it is well going . This way you may mange the issue

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭skydish79

Who are the top wood suppliers - could we make a list

http://www.monahans.ie/kiln-dried-logs.php

skydish79 wrote: »
    Who are the top wood suppliers - could we make a list

http://www.monahans.ie/kiln-dried-logs.php

Galway based suppliers...

https://www.ecofuel.ie/
    Never had any quality issues, always dry, well packed, great service, etc. But they are way more expensive than their competitors. I appreciate the good service but the extra cost is too much. I don't buy logs from them anymore, because of the price, but all their options might suit some.

http://www.connollysawmills.com/firewood-galway.html
    This guy has good quality logs at a great price (cheapest I've got) but he only delivers locally, or collection with a trailer. Obviously collection is not a runner at the moment.

https://www.mcdonoghdirect.ie/wood-c102x2898624
    Only bought one crate off them in the past but it was good quality, fair price.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It looks like this wood was stored outside for a while at some stage in the last while. . When water got into it the outside of the stack dried. This left the middle wet as the logs are stacked, the centre has failed to dry. However hardwood is slow to soak water...unless these stacks were out in the rain for a longtime. You would be amazed how fast they will dry out but it is annoying when you are paying a premium price. Try to store a few under or near your stove after 3-4 days they should be dry enough to burn.do not put them in at the start of the fire but rather after 90 minutes when it is well going . This way you may mange the issue

I would not do this, unwanted moisture in living areas is not good

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

I'm still pretty green when it comes to buying firewood so this looked like good value to me for people in the Galway-clare-limerick region: 8m^3 loose load of Larch for €450
    https://midwestfirewood.ie/store/Aged-Larch-8-Cubic-Meters-p255736337

if using the conversion rate of loose = 0.6 stacked volume and soft = 0.7 calorific of hard (found that some where on here)then
    8 x 0.6 x 0.7 = 3.36m^3 of stacked hardwood?

Which still seems like great value at that price but am wondering if it its as its Larch? Anyone any experience of that wood?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Not a personal experience, but I expect similarity to pine or spruce.

https://www.stovesupermarket.co.uk/blogs/the-learning-center/whats-the-best-wood-to-burn-in-your-stove
    Larch - Rating: 3 / 5
    A nice scented hardwood when burnt, Larch is a very crackly firewood. It emits a good amount of heat however, it needs to be well seasoned. The oil and sap emitted when burning can clog up flue systems very fast if used regularly.

• Advertisement

Your calculation is correct and as you know larch is softwood so it will burn quicker and not produce as much heat log for log. 3.35m3 hardwood equivalent for 450 is good but before buying that volume of wood it might be an idea just to ask for enough for a couple of fires and test it yourself.

Ive burnt softwood before (the stuff that petrol stations/supermarkets sell) and tbh Ive found it a bit frustrating. You throw a log or two on, they blaze up with flames for about 6 or 7 minutes and then the flame dies out and the heat output drops. Its also more smokey. Whereas with hardwood the flame gets less after the initial burst but is still there flickering away all the time and the logs eventually end up as glowing embers which give off a lot of heat. Also with softwood you find yourself having to top up the fire more often, if you forgot about it for 20 or 30 minutes the fire could go out.

Thats not to say there arent good softwoods out there that might burn differently to that but before buying such a large load of it have a test of it and do your research. I've a neighbour who burns another softwood (pine) and while he knows he needs a lot more of it he still likes it, his wife loves the pine smell it sends throughout the house. But he does say it burns pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Has anyone purchased from https://www.buyfirewooddirect.ie/ ?

ciarsd wrote: »
    Has anyone purchased from https://www.buyfirewooddirect.ie/ ?

A poster here did a few weeks back and they received the wrong species of wood and the crates were not full up as advertised. Read post #860 and the few after it and also #909 onwards for more details. Up to yourself but Id avoid them given the experience that they had, the company never rectified their mistake when given the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Muahahaha wrote: »
    A poster here did a few weeks back and they received the wrong species of wood and the crates were not full up as advertised. Read post #860 and the few after it and also #909 onwards for more details. Up to yourself but Id avoid them given the experience that they had, the company never rectified their mistake when given the opportunity.

Thanks, I don't know how I missed those, even in a search. Appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gizit

Scruff wrote: »
    I'm still pretty green when it comes to buying firewood so this looked like good value to me for people in the Galway-clare-limerick region: 8m^3 loose load of Larch for €450
    https://midwestfirewood.ie/store/Aged-Larch-8-Cubic-Meters-p255736337

if using the conversion rate of loose = 0.6 stacked volume and soft = 0.7 calorific of hard (found that some where on here)then
    8 x 0.6 x 0.7 = 3.36m^3 of stacked hardwood?

Which still seems like great value at that price but am wondering if it its as its Larch? Anyone any experience of that wood?

Yes it is Larch used him a few years back, never again wood was really bad to burn and had to be dried out in the hot press before it could be used

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

€350 for 1.8m3 kiln dried oak delivered (probably external measurements)
    works out at €195/m3 delivered

https://eireecofuels.ie/product/kiln-dried-oak-firewood-double-pallet/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

That's never scruff from ballincollig is it?

Scruff wrote: »
    €350 for 1.8m3 kiln dried oak delivered (probably external measurements)
    works out at €195/m3 delivered

https://eireecofuels.ie/product/kiln-dried-oak-firewood-double-pallet/

For an extra 20 euro Monahans do a 2m3 crate of oak which is slightly better value.

And yeah any time a crate is measured it is the external dimensions they are referring to. Ive been meaning to measure the internal of mine just to find out how much we are losing on it, might be about 10% Im guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

Monagans seem to be out of stock on their website for a good bit of the dry kiln stuff - anyone rang them recently to see what they have in stock? Anyone buy the 2m oak pack for 370 recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 cianaldo_

First time ordering a crate of wood as I've just had a stove installed. Has anyone used Coughlans Fuels in Cork https://www.coughlanfuels.com/woods-and-timbers.html and is 1.2cubic meters for 230e delivered good value? Any other better suggestions for Cork area?

TIA!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I’ve used them, very good people to deal with and good quality wood
    Price wise it’s hard to beat in the cork area, I’m out of their area but they still came out to me

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

cianaldo_ wrote: »
    First time ordering a crate of wood as I've just had a stove installed. Has anyone used Coughlans Fuels in Cork https://www.coughlanfuels.com/woods-and-timbers.html and is 1.2cubic meters for 230e delivered good value? Any other better suggestions for Cork area?

TIA!

My initial thoughts are around the size of the logs v your stove. If you have a large stove, then it should not be an issue. I have a small 6Kw (Non boiler) inset and live in the city so don't really have room to split logs and store large quantities. I'm heating an average size room - 4.5m x 4m

Would you be better to try a few different wood types etc before commiting to a large order?

I buy the Megatherm logs from MD O'Shea in Ballincollig - 3 x 10 kg for E12.

I split these in half with a claw hammer when filling the basket and 3 full logs keeps the stove toasty from 17h30 to 21h30 - the stove emits heat for at least another hour. (E2 per night + kindling and firelighter.)

I have a small bag of smokeless coal and I add a shovel of coal at 19h00 on a very cold night. (1 small bag of coal lasts all winter.)

Enjoy your stove!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

TIA!

You should take a read over this thread to familiarise yourself with the ins and outs of wood purchase, some great stuff on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

TIA!

They're out of stock at the moment afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

blindsider wrote: »
    My initial thoughts are around the size of the logs v your stove. If you have a large stove, then it should not be an issue. I have a small 6Kw (Non boiler) inset and live in the city so don't really have room to split logs and store large quantities. I'm heating an average size room - 4.5m x 4m

Would you be better to try a few different wood types etc before commiting to a large order?

I buy the Megatherm logs from MD O'Shea in Ballincollig - 3 x 10 kg for E12.

I split these in half with a claw hammer when filling the basket and 3 full logs keeps the stove toasty from 17h30 to 21h30 - the stove emits heat for at least another hour. (E2 per night + kindling and firelighter.)

I have a small bag of smokeless coal and I add a shovel of coal at 19h00 on a very cold night. (1 small bag of coal lasts all winter.)

Enjoy your stove!
    the kiln dried oak and ash from the link posted fit perfectly in a small 6kw stove and are split already, im burning the oak now

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Good to know - might look at it for next year.

franglan wrote: »
    Monagans seem to be out of stock on their website for a good bit of the dry kiln stuff - anyone rang them recently to see what they have in stock? Anyone buy the 2m oak pack for 370 recently?

Monahans/logs for sale are back in stock, if site not updated it's worth giving them a call

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

vicwatson wrote: »
    Monahans/logs for sale are back in stock, if site not updated it's worth giving them a call

They only have the bulk (~tonne) bags for sale.not the 2 metre crates. 120 for a bulk bag for the hard stuff, comes from the same factory, same wood.

Did Monahans say if/when the crates will be back in stock? The tonne bags are about 0.5m3 of logs which are loosely stacked so not the same value as crates that are hand stacked

• Advertisement

franglan wrote: »
    They only have the bulk (~tonne) bags for sale.not the 2 metre crates. 120 for a bulk bag for the hard stuff, comes from the same factory, same wood.

When did you call them last?

Advertisement