Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New York Jets Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

hots wrote: »
    Hmmm who's left now for realistic FA targets? Throw the bank at Thuney or similar and scrape up whatever WR is left and want to earn some cash?

For some historic perspective, Shanahan has never highly valued OGs, he invests in OT and C. Hard to know how much Saleh and LaFleur take from him but it is pretty likely they might feel the same way - meaning they wouldn't break the bank on him.

Definitely expect you to steal a few of our FAs - hopefully if you steal them you'll pay them well enough for us to get decent comp picks - Williams, Juice, Sherman, Hyder, Verrett, Blair, Tartt, Jones, Witherspoon could all be options - wouldn't be surprised if you picked up at least 3 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Foxtrol wrote: »
    For some historic perspective, Shanahan has never highly valued OGs, he invests in OT and C. Hard to know how much Saleh and LaFleur take from him but it is pretty likely they might feel the same way - meaning they wouldn't break the bank on him.

Definitely expect you to steal a few of our FAs - hopefully if you steal them you'll pay them well enough for us to get decent comp picks - Williams, Juice, Sherman, Hyder, Verrett, Blair, Tartt, Jones, Witherspoon could all be options - wouldn't be surprised if you picked up at least 3 of them.

Sherman feels like a no brainer anyway, he's still better than anything we have at CB, likes Saleh and wants to be paid one more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

hots wrote: »
    Sherman feels like a no brainer anyway, he's still better than anything we have at CB, likes Saleh and wants to be paid one more time.

I'd beware of him. He would be worth nearly just for what he brings culture wise but he physically struggled a lot last year. He was never a top end though this was a new level of difficulties. He was getting beaten on most plays but the QBs weren't targeting him, eventually the mystique will ware off. It might have been him dealing with some niggling injuries, however I'd limit my expectations.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I'd beware of him. He would be worth nearly just for what he brings culture wise but he physically struggled a lot last year. He was never a top end though this was a new level of difficulties. He was getting beaten on most plays but the QBs weren't targeting him, eventually the mystique will ware off. It might have been him dealing with some niggling injuries, however I'd limit my expectations.

To make the cut for us he needs to have literally played CB once and he's making the field. Our bar is impressively low there. We've 3/4 young guys that could make the cut with a jump up, even if Sherman started the year as CB3/4 for us he'd be worth it, depth, semi-coach and culture lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Carl Lawson, Corey Davis and Jarrad Davis are the 3 newest members of the Jets.
    Delighted to get Lawson, we might get to see an actual edge rusher for the first time in years!
    Corey Davis seems like a good addition as well, hopefully he can continue his form from over the last 2 seasons
    I know very little about the LB Davis, but given how injury prone that unit was last year I've no issues with them adding to it.
    Obviously a little disappointed to not see one of the top iOL come to New York, but as I said in an earlier post the Jets might be able to afford them but would the players chose to come to a 2-14 team.
    Going forward I'd like to see some secondary moves at both CB and S and get some more depth in on the offensive line. I wouldnt be surprised to see some more moves at the linebacker and WR positions either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,939 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Keyshawn Johnson's daughter dies at age 25. RIP young lady.

No details beyond that.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Like the Lawson signing and Davis will be an upgrade at WR but disappointed to miss out on Thuney. Also the top two TE going to new England is a concern. TE is supposed to play a large part in new offence so its hard to know why the Jets weren't in on either. I also don't accept the argument that Douglas is smart for not overpaying. Everyone overpays in Free Agency and the Jeys are so bereft of talent that they need to be more aggressive. So called middle of the roster guys from other teams would be starters on the Jets. Bargain basement shopping didn't work last season so it's time to get more aggressive. There are no trophies for having the most cap space. So hopefully today we will see a few more additions.

Lack of action here is mirroring Joe Douglas's lack of action in free agency. Any one else concerned he is being too passive? Talks of JuJu today, would be happy with that signing (or any signing of a starter really).

I think the balance is about right, 1 signing short or so. Missing the big OLs is no surprise, if you look at where they've gone and how much for we were never in contention. Juju would have been a luxury and at the expense of Crowder surely so a bit of a toss up. Feeney was a bit of a surprise, he's an awful center and mediocre guard, but he's elite at staying healthy and can move across the line so as a pure backup that's fine (and lovely hair). Rankins is really out of nowhere imo, and exciting in a couple of ways, the line is now really strong and with some great interior depth, and this will be the first draft where I'm confident we won't be taking an early D-Lineman :D Our defense as it stands has a very strong line, middle lb, solid safeties and then corners with very few positives to say about them. Kroft from the bill is fine, a 21 set with him, Mims, Davis and a FB (expecting one to be drafted) is made for some wild down field blocking for whoever is at RB!

Assuming no trades, we're surely looking at QB > CB > IOL or some combination of the same in the first 3 picks, the 3 positions are so far behind the rest of the team it's surely them. In the later rounds some shots on RB/TE/WR are needed for sure.

Darnold off to Carolina.

Traded for picks in the sixth round in 2021, second and fourth round in 2022.

Darnold was the known, not that great, quantity. But not like the team has a history of great QB's. So, we'll see

• Advertisement

Such a good deal for us, had resigned myself to only getting a third, and even that was looking like we might have to wait until someone got injured somewhere.

I really hope he does well there.

10 high value picks (1-3 rounds) now in the next two years is huge, compare what our new QB will come into (top second year LT, serviceable rest of the line, serviceable receiving group) vs what Sam had to work with (not a lot), and then add in say another ~4 high value offensive picks over the next two years too, huge for them. I guess the next question is which vet we get in to backup?

It will be interesting to see who we sign as backup QB. Alex Smith and Nick Mullens seem to be the two most popular names and I have even seen Geno being mentioned! If Carolina end up cutting Teddy he would make a great signing but would probably be expensive for a backup.

We should have enough cap space to not make anyone an issue as long as it's not too many years of it tbh. Smith I'd imagine might fancy one more shot at starting somewhere after someone else gets injured this time.

Well that was pretty much an ideal first round for us, the trade is about balanced and we now have one side of the line locked down. With the big names still available, but none of them beings CBs, I'm almost expecting a trade down from us, if not a double dip at O Line maybe? Maybe JOK is too much talent to pass up and they leave CB?

Seems like a great draft so far, really like the OL out of USC. I think stack the OL for years to come and maybe Wilson can develop something beyond his 'running away from danger' skills.

Hard to find fault with the first two picks. I think they will trade back but if Jenkins is there the temptation to double dip at OL will be massive. I wouldn't have any problem with that strategy except our interest in day 2 would be over very early!!

Trade back feels like the best option, we're no longer quite as OL hungry and there's some big names up there for someone to want to come up and get... A lot depends on how we value the remaining CBs imo, there's probably only 3 left in that second tier, I don't think we could afford to miss on them all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Deise boii

The jets are off to London on the 19th of October are there many planning to go.

Just looking at the schedule what are peoples. expectations for next season. I'm thinking something like 7-10 with them being competitive in a lot of games.

Deise boii wrote: »
    The jets are off to London on the 19th of October are there many planning to go.

Just looking at the schedule what are peoples. expectations for next season. I'm thinking something like 7-10 with them being competitive in a lot of games.

Was there the last time they were there but don't think I'll make it this time eventhough I'd love to see our new QB playing. You would have to happy with the offseason now that the Jets seem to have a good coaching ticket working in tandem with a competent GM. Also the roster appears the strongest it has been since the Jets were in London in 2015. My prediction is 8-9 or 9-8 with the Jets playing exciting, watchable football.

Deise boii wrote: »

I'd expect the exact same, and will be doing my best to go but not sure. I think anything more than 7 would be a surprise.

We'll know by the bye week for sure, the opening fixtures are all relatively in the mix of being winnable I think, but there's no sure things (obviously coming off of last season)

• Advertisement

Don't know if any Jets fans left after recent revamp. Anyway my early season optimism is back and I am just back from my yearly holiday to Brazil where I got game pass again. First preseason game tonight. Looking forward to seeing Wilson.

Good to see Wilson didnt look out of place, but it is only the first pre season game and I dont think the Giants had many of their starters playing, so I wont get carried away yet.

Does Mims start to move back up the WR depth chart after his performance? Reports from training camp have been saying hes doing most of his work with the backups

Good start for Wilson and probably a good way to ease him in with most of the Giants starters on the bench. Also it was good to see lots of reps for the rookies as it looks like we will have a fair few starting or making major contributions early in the season. I am not worried about the Mims thing as I feel he is the player who is being used to signal the culture change by the new coaching staff. Maybe his work ethic wasn't up to scratch and wise receiver is currently a position of strength for the Jets. He will probably end up as WR 4 but the Jets will have a few tough cuts to make at this position.

Lawson out for the season, thats a devastating blow to the team

Terrible news about Lawson. Jets have no luck with big free agent signings. Lots of teams having joint practices this year and lots of injuries. Makes you wonder about the wisdom of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Anyone else having problems buying tickets for Falcons game?

Terrible first half for Jets. Could be a lot of teething problems this season. Hopefully we will see some improvement especially with the offensive line.

Second half was more watchable, but there's still no O-line and Becton gone '4-6 weeks'. Punter gone too. And it's only the first game.

Joyner out for the year as well, more problems for an already depleted secondary. Linebacker position took another hit as well with Sherwoord being hurt

• Advertisement

Ooh and here come the Pats this week. Not going to be pretty. Well, I'd hoped for 6-10 this year, feels like that'd be a stretch if they can't field their proposed starters.

Poor Zach Wilson. Baptism by fire and I think Belicheck will have them champing at the bit.

Advertisement