Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 pdoherty

No - I received it as a letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

pdoherty wrote: »
    Hi all - I've received two invoices from UPS for an 'outstanding balance'. They look a bit dodgy. I tried calling UPS this morning but was on hold for 3 hours and got no response to my emails. The thing is, I did receive a 'high-value' item from the UK with UPS in January. However, neither invoice refers to that delivery. Also, from what I've heard, couriers charge you Brexit tax before they deliver the parcel. Has anyone encountered anything similar? Scam?

It’s a scam - I got one too - I was due a parcel but from a different delivery company. I just ignored it.

ETA I got an email.

Phew! That's a relief. It looks very legitimate. It even includes the actual UPS phone number (not that you can get through). Did your letter look quite legitimate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Phew! That's a relief. It looks very legitimate. It even includes the actual UPS phone number (not that you can get through). Did your letter look quite legitimate?

Mine was via email.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I received the exact same two letters. I've been in contact with UPS and they're figuring out what is what - I did send/receive stuff with UPS recently but the costs seem way out whack with what was sent/received which is why I think it's a scam.

Out of interest, what costs have been on your letters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭corkie

Some couriers charge customs after delivery. And since it is a letter and not email/text it may not necessarily be a scam?

Edit: - UPS usually request payment on delivery at the door.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057825663

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

The initial invoice was for 480.00 odd. I received a second invoice today informing me of a late payment fee of 38 euro. Like you, these figures don't tally with anything that I might be charged for VAT for it the item I ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The initial invoice was for 480.00 odd. I received a second invoice today informing me of a late payment fee of 38 euro. Like you, these figures don't tally with anything that I might be charged for VAT for it the item I ordered.

If its legit itll give you a breakdown of what it was for. Duty can be more than VAT, especially for perfume/booze.

That was my thinking, yes. There is no itemisation of costs. There are two things giving me pause: 1) I received letters, not emails and 2) The phone number included on the letter is legitimate. However, the account number provided on the invoice isn't accepted by the UPS online billing system. Also, the letter was sent from a PO box in the Netherlands. It would be a simple matter to clarify this with UPS, but they're impossible to contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭corkie

That was my thinking, yes. There is no itemisation of costs. There are two things giving me pause: 1) I received letters, not emails and 2) The phone number included on the letter is legitimate. However, the account number provided on the invoice isn't accepted by the UPS online billing system. Also, the letter was sent from a PO box in the Netherlands. It would be a simple matter to clarify this with UPS, but they're impossible to contact.
    tiegan wrote: »
    Not sure if its any good to you but the two numbers I used were 01-4006906 which was the number to ring to pay online. Didn't get through on this one
    Courier also gave me another number for enquiries, this is 01-8581231, and I got a very helpful reply giving me a breakdown of VAT and UPS charges. And were able to tell me that it was definitely not duty.

Maybe try that alternative number during working hours, also reports of scams in that thread as well.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Moved to Couriers

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭user302243

Sounds like it could be legit - they ship their invoices from Netherlands. Is there a tracking number on the invoice?

I find UPS quite good at responding to emails any time I've had to clarify an invoice.

Update: I've managed to clarify with UPS that the two invoices were legitimately issued by UPS. However, I've been told over the phone that the invoices were sent in error and that any outstanding fees would have been collected before my parcel was delivered. The rep on the phone couldn't provide written confirmation of this so I emailed their customer service mailbox. The customer service rep doesn't have access to the system which would allow him to see if there is an outstanding balance. VAT was paid on the UK end by the shipper and there is no customs due. Even if I wanted to pay, there is no facility. The online payment system won't accept the invoice numbers and no one in the billing department is answering the phone. The figures on the invoice are pretty meaningless too. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Update: I've managed to clarify with UPS that the two invoices were legitimately issued by UPS. However, I've been told over the phone that the invoices were sent in error and that any outstanding fees would have been collected before my parcel was delivered. The rep on the phone couldn't provide written confirmation of this so I emailed their customer service mailbox. The customer service rep doesn't have access to the system which would allow him to see if there is an outstanding balance. VAT was paid on the UK end by the shipper and there is no customs due. Even if I wanted to pay, there is no facility. The online payment system won't accept the invoice numbers and no one in the billing department is answering the phone. The figures on the invoice are pretty meaningless too. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Does it definitely not say

"Do not pay. Your payment method has been billed"

on the invoice? Normally on the left hand side around middle of the the page beside the summary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭VG31

user302243 wrote: »
    Does it definitely not say

"Do not pay. Your payment method has been billed"

on the invoice? Normally on the left hand side around middle of the the page beside the summary.

Is that not on invoices for shippers? I always get those letters.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

So take note of the time and date of the conversation, and forget about it.

VG31 wrote: »
    Is that not on invoices for shippers? I always get those letters.

I've had it for both when I've shipped or when customs was billed to a third party and not recipient.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mr j tayto

Would anyone have a direct telephone number or email address that UPS in Ireland can be contacted on?

I'm waiting on an urgent delivery from them that they cancelled for no reason last Friday. On checking the tracking number this morning it looks like they won't be delivering today either.

I've tried to ring them on their"Irish" number, but it redirects to an international call centre. They were less than helpful. I offered to pick up the parcel from their depot directly, but apparently that's not possible either.

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

If its an urgent delivery, then i assume their "express" or day specific service was paid for.

If expedited or standard delivery was paid for, they have up to a certain number of days to deliver.

Customs may also cause delays if it needs to be inspected.

All phone numbers / emails are on their site. I find they answer emails within a few hours and it makes no difference whether its someone in their office in Tallaght or El Paso or Mumbai - they will all have the same access to the exact same information.

Yes, next day delivery was paid for. The suppliers only send shipments this way. The tracking showed yesterday that the parcel would be delivered by end of business but it wasn't delivered.
    I'll email them and see what's happening. Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 AmyMay

Teferi wrote: »
    I received the exact same two letters. I've been in contact with UPS and they're figuring out what is what - I did send/receive stuff with UPS recently but the costs seem way out whack with what was sent/received which is why I think it's a scam.

Out of interest, what costs have been on your letters?

I'm after receiving a letter today, the dates/amount and everything adds up perfectly, It is the only UK parcel I've received this year and I paid on the door as knew what the charges would be and had the cash ready.
    This is an error on the drivers part, but having an awful time getting someone competent on the phone, had my call forwarded three times.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭magoo84

mr j tayto wrote: »
    Would anyone have a direct telephone number or email address that UPS in Ireland can be contacted on?

I'm waiting on an urgent delivery from them that they cancelled for no reason last Friday. On checking the tracking number this morning it looks like they won't be delivering today either.

I've tried to ring them on their"Irish" number, but it redirects to an international call centre. They were less than helpful. I offered to pick up the parcel from their depot directly, but apparently that's not possible either.

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.

I'm having this problem too. Parcel arrived into Dublin on Thursday morning from Gomibo.ie, and the tracking said it was to be "delivered by end of day."

Parcel didn't arrive, so I called yesterday but their Dublin phone number just forwards you onto their international call center - there's no number for their Dublin Depot. They said it would definitely be delivered by last night, but again, no parcel. Yesterday evening, the tracking was updated to say "A delivery change was requested for this package". I contacted them on Twitter and their agent said they tried to call me but got no answer (they didn't).

I was out on a walk today and by chance I saw a UPS delivery van so I flagged down the driver and asked him if he had my parcel onboard but he didn't.

They are an absolute joke of a service. At this rate they're making Fastway look good

Finally got mine delivered after pressure was put on them from the suppliers (they are a huge concern). It was six days late even though my name, telephone number and postal code was on the clearly printed address label. It looks like covid is the answer for all their issues, a joke of a company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 caketopper123

Hi, looking for advise. I ordered a jacket from Tog24 (based in UK) in February. Item was delivered via UPS end of Feb. This week I received an invoice by post for 35 euro from UPS for customs relating to this delivery. Invoice seems legit.

I checked the Tog24 website and see they are now no longer delivering to Ireland/ EU.

I would have thought any customs charges should have been paid prior to delivery. The whole thing seems unusual esp. receiving the invoice by post- they obviously were not passed on my email address/ phone number by Tog24.

Do any of ye know anything about this?

Many thanks
    L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Personally I would feck the bill in the bin.

usually they would have asked before delivery, but sometimes you get the invoice afterwards. Its not UPS, its revenue who have applied the VAT and UPS made the customs entry on your behalf.

UPS fee is about €15 and the rest will be the vat.

When you ticked that little box at the checkout, you agreed to the terms and conditions and vat and duty will be mentioned in those terms and conditions, so Tog24 will be fully covered and UPS will be fully covered too as the T&C's will cover the delivery company that Tog24 use.

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

It's not unusual to receive an invoice from a courier after delivery, in particular if they have no other contact details than your address. UPS have made the customs declaration and payment on your behalf already, and will pass to collection agency if necessary. This is all down to Brexit unfortunately, not every UK company was ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

I got a bill from FedEx €20, threw it in the bin seen its was 7 weeks after the item arrived and also a one off, I won't make the mistake again and order if there is a risk of customs or vat.
    But if intended to order often I wouldn't be ignoring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 caketopper123

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    Personally I would feck the bill in the bin.

This was my first instinct!
    Snotty wrote: »
    I got a bill from FedEx €20, threw it in the bin seen its was 7 weeks after the item arrived and also a one off, I won't make the mistake again and order if there is a risk of customs or vat.
    But if intended to order often I wouldn't be ignoring it.

Did they follow up with you for payment?

Thanks for all the input. Im sure I did tick Ts+Cs but I still feel very hard done by, the bill amounts to almost 50% of the cost of the jacket ! Any other companys I have ordered from have transparency re: charges.

• Advertisement

Before you think of following some random persons advice to bin it - remember that the random person will not suffer one iota from giving such poor advice.

Yes they do follow up. then they sell the invoices to a debt collection firm who follow up and harass you for the money owed. If something comes for you again, they will make sure that fees are fully paid before it goes out for delivery which will create delays

They are unlikely to go to court over it, but you find that the debt collection firms also provide credit checking facilities for many companies and you then start finding that you can't get a phone contract on credit, or when you sign to a utility company they want a €500 deposit etc

All over a debt of €35 that was incurred by you and which is lawfully due.

Advertisement