Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish media hysteria

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Woman self consciously poses for camera with 'there' instead of 'their' on her back and some jaded old cliche about 'reptiles' on her front! :pac:
    Have you ever seen anything so amateurish and staged in your life? Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

This on the day schools reopen

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0301/1199998-covid19-ireland/

Have they no shame at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Came to post. It's outrageous!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

How can anyone with a brain be opposed to opening things up now? That report broke down the ages of cases but not a peep when it came to ages or underlying conditions of the people in ICU. Scandalous fear mongering article.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Crazy how they've changed the headline now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Claiming possible links to 4 still births now, with the emphasis on 'possible' - not proven etc etc, they have no shame.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

bladespin wrote: »
    Claiming possible links to 4 still births now, with the emphasis on 'possible' - not proven etc etc, they have no shame.

Do you think any possible link should be covered up or kept secret from pregnant women rather than the information being given to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Its ok, they have been included in the age range of deaths already and fear has been sown up and down the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

aido79 wrote: »
    Do you think any possible link should be covered up or kept secret from pregnant women rather than the information being given to them?

Not a bit, but considering there's only the most tenuous association link that hasn't been investigated it's pure sensationalist, outrageously so.

Referring to a "possible connection" between miscarriage/still birth and Covid-19 infection and in the same breath stating that there are no plans to move pregnant women up the queue for vaccination.

I'm sorry, but that is just an extraordinary way to respond if these very sad cases merit "issuing an alert" to maternity staff.

I'm by no means a conspiracy theorist but I am deeply, deeply suspicious of the agenda behind the way in which these four tragedies have been brought forward at this time. The message has the look of propaganda.

Especially given the lack of any support in the evidence available internationally for the "possible connection" being suggested now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,651 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    Referring to a "possible connection" between miscarriage/still birth and Covid-19 infection and in the same breath stating that there are no plans to move pregnant women up the queue for vaccination.

The vaccines have not yet been tested in pregnancy.

It's the reason they are 15th on the list with children.

It's the same in the UK.
    The vaccines have not yet been tested in pregnancy, so until more information is available, those who are pregnant should not routinely have this vaccine. Non-clinical evidence is required before any clinical studies in pregnancy can start, and before that, it is usual to not recommend routine vaccination during pregnancy.

Boggles wrote: »
    The vaccines have not yet been tested in pregnancy.

That is true. Of course, NPHET did not through their official spokesperson suggest that this is the reason.

Perhaps however, we are to deduce that what risks (for which there is no evidence) of a connection between Covid-19 infection and stillbirth/miscarriage NPHET believe are worthy of "issuing an alert" for do not warrant any change to the world-wide approach in terms of priority for vaccinations. It would have been reasonable to expect NPHET through their official spokespersons to make this clear if so.

It seems to me it would have been well within the ambit of a responsible public authority to provide some statistical information regarding numbers of pregnant women who suffer a Covid-19 infection and proceed to give birth to healthy babies. In the absence of a balanced approach, I'm afraid talk of "possible connections" and "issuing alerts to HSE maternity staff" (to do what, precisely?) has the look of what can only be considered scaremongering.

Do you have anything to say about NPHET broadcasting a "possible connection" between Covid-19 infection and stillbirth/miscarriage in this way? Are you pleased to see the Irish public health authorities taking the lead on this? Are we to be grateful that they have established the possibility of a connection ahead of their colleagues across the world so that pregnant women and their loved ones may be better protected from stillbirth/miscarriage?

I'm somebody who is very adherent to public health guidelines and fully respectful of people trying to fulfil difficult duties as best they can. I have no time for anti-maskers/"it's just the flu"/rabble-rousers/contrarians/armchair experts or the like.

But this one stinks, and NPHET are discrediting themselves in how they have tried to deploy this "information".

That is true. Of course, NPHET did not through their official spokesperson suggest that this is the reason.

Did they suggest it wasn't?

Boggles wrote: »
    Did they suggest it wasn't?

Ah come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Not sure what the fuss is.

We have dropped down the rankings by 1 and now only have the 4th strictest restrictions in the world.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covid-stringency-index?tab=table&stackMode=absolute&time=2020-01-21..2021-03-03&region=World

I'm just glad NPHET are not in charge of making plans for dealing with the risk of fires in cinemas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    Not sure what the fuss is.

We have dropped down the rankings by 1 and now only have the 4th strictest restrictions in the world.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covid-stringency-index?tab=table&stackMode=absolute&time=2020-01-21..2021-03-03&region=World

According to that list France has much lighter restrictions than we do.
    They have a 6pm to 6am curfew in place nationwide. And will do for another 4 to 6 weeks.

Ranking the severity of various lockdowns isn't straightforward, and that Stringency Index does a particularly bad job of it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I'm just glad NPHET are not in charge of making plans for dealing with the risk of fires in cinemas.

They would tell you just to stream it at home.

And don't have popcorn because there is a risk you could choke on a kernel.

Also there is a risk you could end up in A&E with a broken baby toe if you dropped the remote control from a certain angle whilst wearing slippers. So probably best to wear steel toe cap boots while you watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

According to that list France has much lighter restrictions than we do.
    They have a 6pm to 6am curfew in place nationwide. And will do for another 4 to 6 weeks.

Ranking the severity of various lockdowns isn't straightforward, and that Stringency Index does a particularly bad job of it I think.
    what they have between 6pm and 6am is what we have been living with for months pretty much:

A nightly curfew is currently in force in metropolitan France. Between 6PM and 6AM you may only leave your residence for the following reasons and with an exemption certificate:

Commuting to and from work, school or training place; carrying out essential business trips that cannot be postponed;
    Medical appointments that cannot be carried out remotely or postponed;
    Essential family reasons, assisting vulnerable persons, persons in a precarious situation or taking care of children;
    Persons with a disability and their accompanying person;
    Judicial or administrative summons;
    Participating in a mission of general interest upon request from an administrative authority;
    Air or rail transit related to long distance journeys;
    Walking a pet outdoors within 1km of one’s place of residence and for a brief amount of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

copeyhagen wrote: »
    what they have between 6pm and 6am is what we have been living with for months pretty much:

A nightly curfew is currently in force in metropolitan France. Between 6PM and 6AM you may only leave your residence for the following reasons and with an exemption certificate:

Commuting to and from work, school or training place; carrying out essential business trips that cannot be postponed;
    Medical appointments that cannot be carried out remotely or postponed;
    Essential family reasons, assisting vulnerable persons, persons in a precarious situation or taking care of children;
    Persons with a disability and their accompanying person;
    Judicial or administrative summons;
    Participating in a mission of general interest upon request from an administrative authority;
    Air or rail transit related to long distance journeys;
    Walking a pet outdoors within 1km of one’s place of residence and for a brief amount of time.

I don't know about you, but I regularly go out after 6pm. Whether it's shopping, playing with my son or just flooting about.
    I find the thought of being required or even sent home very unpleasant, and completely at odds with what we're experiencing.

Anyway, you think France's experience is close enough to ours. Ok fine, but my point was that Stringency Index suggests their experience is a lot less stringent, when as you say, it clearly is not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

on twitter it seems like anyone at all can get a vaccine in the UK

UK not following manufacturers protocols.

Not a bit, but considering there's only the most tenuous association link that hasn't been investigated it's pure sensationalist, outrageously so.

I'm not sure what news outlet you're getting your information from but calling it sensationalist is a bit of an exaggeration I think.

What's sensational about this?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.rte.ie/amp/1200855/

"The Deputy Chief Medical Officer has said that NPHET has been made aware of four preliminary reports of stillbirths in Ireland, that could potentially be associated with a condition called Covid Placentitis.
    Dr Ronan Glynn said that these reports should be interpreted with caution as the coroners have not concluded their findings."

The language of the entire article is anything but sensationalist. It's just precautionary advice for pregnant women that would come under medical duty of care rather than trying to spread fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ElektroToad

In fairness I think some people were too quick on this occasion to whip out the pitchforks for Ronan Glynn over this one.

Seems like he was obliged to answer a question on this from George Lee who most likely only asked that particular question so that RTE could take his response out of context and create a nice click-bait, fear-mongering headline.

Classy stuff from our state broadcaster

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Compo82

In fairness, it the typical of George Lee. He almost gets breathless at the sight of bad news or an increase in cases or hospitalisations. The question was a disgrace yesterday when its still under investigation and they can't confirm it. NPHET is the gift that keeps on giving for the media. Ireland must be have the greatest medics on earth when they have found a new side effect of covid.

I'm not sure what news outlet you're getting your information from but calling it sensationalist is a bit of an exaggeration I think.

What's sensational about this?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.rte.ie/amp/1200855/

"The Deputy Chief Medical Officer has said that NPHET has been made aware of four preliminary reports of stillbirths in Ireland, that could potentially be associated with a condition called Covid Placentitis.
    Dr Ronan Glynn said that these reports should be interpreted with caution as the coroners have not concluded their findings."

The language of the entire article is anything but sensationalist. It's just precautionary advice for pregnant women that would come under medical duty of care rather than trying to spread fear.

I'm not being funny but did you miss where it was reported that NPHET issued an alert to HSE maternity staff?

I'm not being funny but did you miss where it was reported that NPHET issued an alert to HSE maternity staff?

Are you saying NPHET shouldn't have issued that alert and should have kept the information to themselves?
    Or just that the media shouldn't have reported it?

Are you saying NPHET shouldn't have issued that alert and should have kept the information to themselves?
    Or just that the media shouldn't have reported it?

The post to which I replied placed emphasis on the media as driving this story. I pointed out that it was NPHET that chose to "issue an alert" as to a "possible connection" between COVID-19 infections and miscarriage/still birth.

Thankfully, medical professionals independent of NPHET have now come out to assuage the baseless fears engendered by NPHET.

It's not binary in the manner your questions are loaded to suggest. If NPHET felt it necessary to "issue an alert" it was incumbent, as a responsible public authority, to provide full information. Their failure to do so was presumably deliberate, or incompetent (now, that one is binary).

I pointed out that it was NPHET that chose to "issue an alert" as to a "possible connection" between COVID-19 infections and miscarriage/still birth.

Did NPHET issue an alert?

As I understand it the first time Glynn heard anything about it was when the HSPC published their figures.

The 2 coroners who preformed the 4 post mortem's contacted the HSE themselves and made them aware who would have then made the relevant departments aware.

What Glynn did was reasonably explain the factual data he was presented with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

I don't know about you, but I regularly go out after 6pm. Whether it's shopping, playing with my son or just flooting about.
    I find the thought of being required or even sent home very unpleasant, and completely at odds with what we're experiencing.

Anyway, you think France's experience is close enough to ours. Ok fine, but my point was that Stringency Index suggests their experience is a lot less stringent, when as you say, it clearly is not.

I have a friend living in France. No way are their restrictions anywhere near ours. He is shocked by ours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

BPKS wrote: »
    They would tell you just to stream it at home.

Burning cinemas aren't Covid so they would not do or tell you anything.

Only Covid Matters.

Advertisement