Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Break80

iancairns wrote: »
    Just curious to know if anyone’s gold clubs have adjusted annual membership fees or if there is any intention. Considering we’ll be probably 5months no golf this year on top of 3months last year.

I know our membership fees support the club but surely most clubs would be in excess by now?

What are current overheads other than course maintenance?

Am I just a tight bastard. I’d just love to know next membership is even couple hundred cheaper. Anything to acknowledge what is going on.

I got an email from my club Friday.
    We have increased members times, no restrictions on the amount of golf you play, all greenfee tickets you bought last year to be extended to Oct this year and €200.00 on your card to be spent in the clubhouse,
    You need to pay in full by middle of March.
    I think that's very fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Break80 wrote: »
    We have increased members times, no restrictions on the amount of golf you play, all greenfee tickets you bought last year to be extended to Oct this year and €200.00 on your card to be spent in the clubhouse,
    That's more like it and very fair I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Break80 wrote: »
    Can’t wait to get down and help you out with those green few vouchers;)

My club have extended the payment date till the end of March, usually would be due end of January.
    Anyone who pays before end of March gets 4 green fees and free use of driving range till the end of May. Any unused bar vouchers from last year are carrying over too.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Break80

Seve OB wrote: »
    Can’t wait to get down and help you out with those green few vouchers;)[/QUOTE

When this is done. We will rock on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,055 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

of course he hasn't. I'm not sure he has even left his house as he was very clearly very upset at someone going on a bike ride with their kid.

Thanks for keeping it a nice, adult conversation.

(and for the record, it was lunch at a market that I had the issue with, but you carry on regardless there chief!)

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Greebo have you been in Marley near the coffee shop especially, there is plenty of interacting going on. Place is rammed most days and especially w/ends, not to mention the other parks around there.

Yep I have, but as I said earlier, the problem there is the morons who are not social distancing, you don't solve that by allowing even more people the opportunity to act moronically!

We don't remove rules or laws just because some people break them, I don't see why this would be any different.

FWIW I don't see this behaviour nearly as much in Bushy, people are spread out and keep 2m gap when queueing for coffee/ice cream, you even see people wearing masks in the playground.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Yep I have, but as I said earlier, the problem there is the morons who are not social distancing, you don't solve that by allowing even more people the opportunity to act moronically!

We don't remove rules or laws just because some people break them, I don't see why this would be any different.

FWIW I don't see this behaviour nearly as much in Bushy, people are spread out and keep 2m gap when queueing for coffee/ice cream, you even see people wearing masks in the playground.

Well maybe if you allow the sensible people to move onto the golf course so that they are away from the morons it will help things.

And just talking with a work colleague earlier on who is in Bushy every day with her dog, her comment to me was “if you want to get COVID, just head on up to bushy park” and she specifically mentioned the ice cream van.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭willabur

A member at my club got an email from the company running it telling him that hard times, yada yada yada, but if he didn't renew on time he would not be allowed to rejoin the club for 6 months.

Sound

• Registered Users Posts: 20,778 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

It is all about perspective too. People also have different perceptions of what is necessary.

If we were all honest - why is coffee so necessary - it is something that results in queues and gatherings - there is a significant amount of handling and common contact points and natural tendency to interact.

During the very high numbers - I looked at kids in Playgrounds etc. And in my mind doing a quick risk assessment - It didn't feel right.

I actually do agree with golf being closed. But at the same measure - there is so much stuff open of equal to higher risk. There is so much stuff that is open that is not necessary.

The good news at this point - we are going to reverse out now - open up more in a far more controlled way. But much slower than what people think (IMO)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

During the very high numbers - I looked at kids in Playgrounds etc. And in my mind doing a quick risk assessment - It didn't feel right.

I've been the exact same about playgrounds. Sad as it's one of the things that are missed the most. I've used to go early in the morning or after rain but not in a long time now. You think: ah just bring hand sanitiser, it'll be grand. Then you see them literally lick a rung of a ladder that hundreds of kids are climbing :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

willabur wrote: »
    A member at my club got an email from the company running it telling him that hard times, yada yada yada, but if he didn't renew on time he would not be allowed to rejoin the club for 6 months.

Sound

That seems a bit harsh isnt it? Is there plenty of choice for courses in your area and that would welcome a new member rather than give ultimatums?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

At least we wont have to deal with this when we're back. Saw this on reddit. Snow golf in Finland. :)

9s1sjdaiusk61.jpg

Looks like fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

At least we wont have to deal with this when we're back. Saw this on reddit. Snow golf in Finland. :)

9s1sjdaiusk61.jpg

Looks like fun.

Any picture of what the green looks like?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

No, just this shot. But I'd say google might bring some stuff back.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

There you go :D

Santa1-1024x683.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Earleybird

Sound

Carr Golf?

RoadRunner wrote: »
    I've been the exact same about playgrounds. Sad as it's one of the things that are missed the most. I've used to go early in the morning or after rain but not in a long time now. You think: ah just bring hand sanitiser, it'll be grand. Then you see them literally lick a rung of a ladder that hundreds of kids are climbing :eek:

Any evidence of any transmission from playgrounds though?
    You can't demand that golf courses be opened based on no transmission and then want playgrounds closed without also providing some transmission evidence!

Well maybe if you allow the sensible people to move onto the golf course so that they are away from the morons it will help things.
    Ah, so now the argument is that golfers are all sensible?
    And just talking with a work colleague earlier on who is in Bushy every day with her dog, her comment to me was “if you want to get COVID, just head on up to bushy park” and she specifically mentioned the ice cream van.
    Well I see it every weekend and there is always a 2m gap between people, now the van itself might be a problem, but thats true of any establishment that is serving the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 elgstring

https://www.golfireland.ie/news-detail?newsarticleid=108&tags=Golf%20Ireland%20HQ;Covid-19

"Golf Ireland are also continuing to engage intensively with the Irish Government, highlighting the safety and health benefits of golf and working towards the resumption of golf as soon as the public health situation allows."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

elgstring wrote: »
    https://www.golfireland.ie/news-detail?newsarticleid=108&tags=Golf%20Ireland%20HQ;Covid-19

"Golf Ireland are also continuing to engage intensively with the Irish Government, highlighting the safety and health benefits of golf and working towards the resumption of golf as soon as the public health situation allows."

So if the Golf ireland are told by our so called government that golf cannot restart safely and courses are to stay shut, have they the power to keep courses in NI closed even though they might have got the go ahead from UK gov as they come under their juristiction. A new Good Friday agreement might have to be sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

9s1sjdaiusk61.jpg

Looks like fun.

There's no golf like snow golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

etxp wrote: »
    Any picture of what the green looks like?

footprints-in-the-snow.jpg

Ah, so now the argument is that golfers are all sensible?

clearly some of us are not

Mark Kennelly, the Chief Executive: Golf Ireland.
    "You will be aware of the recent government decisions to maintain current COVID-19 restrictions. We understand the frustration and the difficult situation that many clubs are currently in with the courses remaining closed. I want to assure you all that we are engaging intensively with the relevant government departments and agencies in both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland to highlight the safety and health benefits of golf. All of you did a great job last year in keeping golf safe at club level. That strong track record is really standing to us now as we make the case for golf to be one of the first sports to restart as soon as the public health situation allows. Last month, Golf Ireland made a detailed written submission to the Irish Government on how golf can be safely resumed under the various levels of its Living with Covid Plan and a similar submission was made to the Northern Ireland Executive. We will continue to work closely with the public authorities to ensure that our sport is up and running again as soon as possible."

i fear we could be facing stupid measures again when we open.

oh and the app will be available in 3 weeks time

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

I hope we don't have the idiotic 2 household codswallop that was suggested before the last lockdown. If they need to have a restriction just allow 3 balls for the 1st month and move to 4 balls in may and I manage most will be happy.

clearly some of us are not

My thoughts *exactly*.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,778 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Mark Kennelly, the Chief Executive: Golf Ireland.

i fear we could be facing stupid measures again when we open.

oh and the app will be available in 3 weeks time

Hopefully they do not have that daft 2 ball stuff - if they do - I give up on them .

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

@Seve OB is there any info what the app will be able to do ? Hoping we will be able to pre book the round to contribute to the handicap analysis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Sound

They tried the same at my course and its up for discussion at the next committee meeting. But they have agreed to not make this final till after we have meeting

There is an issue about fairness, and it is unique to Carr golf rolling membership. If at another club if they dont pay until courses reopen they will need pay a full 12 months to rejoin so it is the same situation

And it is pay outstanding fees due or wait 6 months to rejoin. It is fair on everyone in the club

We are hoping that some of this may be waived for members who can demonstrate they have been effected (eg on PUP)

Advertisement