Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Enquiring wrote: »
    When all else fails, the begrudgery line or the anti Dublin line gets thrown out. It's a victim complex that is totally misplaced. If any other county had been over funded by the governing body of our sport for 2 decades, there would be calls for action to be taken with them also.

But that's exactly what it is right now and also this 21st century culture of I want it now, I want immediate change and having not a clue about the complexities of it all. When Kilkenny were on top there was moans from people outside about their dominance, same with the Kerry footballers, same with the Cork ladies.

Why is this argument only recent - your posts keep harping on about two decades of funding. Why is it only in the last two years that we have posters jumping on the bandwagon oh for the good of the game and the survival of Gaelic football etc etc etc.

I said it 12 years ago about Dublin, looking enviously at the Games Development happening there, I used a lot of their resources in my coaching. If Dublin got their act together (which they did), they were always going to be successful, weight of numbers if nothing else. GAA was sliding downwards in terms of participation rates in the capital, and the Dublin GAA chair at the time saw an opportunity to get funding from the ISC, an opportunity open to all and they took it - but the basic argument being made TIME and TIME again on here is that money = success. It doesn't. It helps, but doesn't guarantee the success like the Dublin footballers have had, and no acknowledgment of the work and effort it takes to get there.

The argument is ridiculous and frankly that statement above is incorrect given that the funding doesn't all come from the GAA, it may be transferred through the GAA but the ISC/SI funding cannot be touched by the GAA - old coals keep getting raked over, especially in your posts, and no acknowledgement of the changes that are coming in place and the fact that these changes will take time to come through, exactly like the Dublin changes took time to come through, but they will. The funding has been decreased in Dublin and hugely increased in other Leinster counties, it is not going to have an overnight impact but it will have an impact - as stated, it has taken at least a decade for the work in Dublin to have an impact.

I've said it before about how to effect change in the GAA - the structures are there and have been there for years. But keep posting on here and going around in circles and getting nowhere - this idea of "public pressure" forcing change never happens. I'm bowing out of this thread now, if anyone wants to DM me for advice about how to work on effecting change, feel free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

thesultan wrote: »
    Dublin are full time athletes but hurling is another thing who being supremely fit alone won't do. Hence the Dublin hurlers are a long way off..

No they are not, you know that, but it will get a reaction. They are teachers, doctors, physios, work in finance. But hey, you knew that. Your statement is a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Rosita

Dublin are full time athletes

Really? So none of them have jobs? Can you give a few examples and what their arrangements are then? How are they funded etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭ooter

Dublin are full time athletes but hurling is another thing who being supremely fit alone won't do. Hence the Dublin hurlers are a long way off..

What else do the hurlers in Dublin need to do, surely lads receiving professional coaching for the guts of 20 years should be as good as anyone out there now, if not better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

ArielAtom wrote: »
    No they are not, you know that, but it will get a reaction. They are teachers, doctors, physios, work in finance. But hey, you knew that. Your statement is a lie.

I've seen this suggested a few times. To my mind this is not only a lie but a tactic used to tarnish the players achievements.

I have yet to see a single iota of proof but forward to back up this assertion and frankly without such proof I do not believe posters should be allowed to put forward this claim

• Advertisement

ShyMets wrote: »
    I've seen this suggested a few times. To my mind this is not only a lie but a tactic used to tarnish the players achievements.

I have yet to see a single iota of proof but forward to back up this assertion and frankly without such proof I do not believe posters should be allowed to put forward this claim

Look it is just a poster looking for a reaction. He got it, he feels great now. But a lie is a lie, no matter how they dress it up. There is another word for it, but its against the forum charter, hence I will not use it.

Why is this argument only recent - your posts keep harping on about two decades of funding. Why is it only in the last two years that we have posters jumping on the bandwagon oh for the good of the game and the survival of Gaelic football etc etc etc.

Most of the country hoped/thought that Dublin wouldn't do 3 in a row but when they did people started sweating, then they got 4 and people got really worried and then 5 and the meltdown was complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭SheepsClothing

ooter wrote: »
    Most of the country hoped/thought that Dublin wouldn't do 3 in a row but when they did people started sweating, then they got 4 and people got really worried and then 5 and the meltdown was complete.

It's people who want Dublin to continue fielding a single team who should be worried now. After every All Ireland the calls for change have been getting louder. With no end to the dominance in sight those same calls are going to be deafening in a few years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭superbluedub

What a bitter nonsense post .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Enquiring

But that's exactly what it is right now and also this 21st century culture of I want it now, I want immediate change and having not a clue about the complexities of it all. When Kilkenny were on top there was moans from people outside about their dominance, same with the Kerry footballers, same with the Cork ladies.

I said it 12 years ago about Dublin, looking enviously at the Games Development happening there, I used a lot of their resources in my coaching. If Dublin got their act together (which they did), they were always going to be successful, weight of numbers if nothing else. GAA was sliding downwards in terms of participation rates in the capital, and the Dublin GAA chair at the time saw an opportunity to get funding from the ISC, an opportunity open to all and they took it - but the basic argument being made TIME and TIME again on here is that money = success. It doesn't. It helps, but doesn't guarantee the success like the Dublin footballers have had, and no acknowledgment of the work and effort it takes to get there.

The argument is ridiculous and frankly that statement above is incorrect given that the funding doesn't all come from the GAA, it may be transferred through the GAA but the ISC/SI funding cannot be touched by the GAA - old coals keep getting raked over, especially in your posts, and no acknowledgement of the changes that are coming in place and the fact that these changes will take time to come through, exactly like the Dublin changes took time to come through, but they will. The funding has been decreased in Dublin and hugely increased in other Leinster counties, it is not going to have an overnight impact but it will have an impact - as stated, it has taken at least a decade for the work in Dublin to have an impact.

I've said it before about how to effect change in the GAA - the structures are there and have been there for years. But keep posting on here and going around in circles and getting nowhere - this idea of "public pressure" forcing change never happens. I'm bowing out of this thread now, if anyone wants to DM me for advice about how to work on effecting change, feel free.

So a lot of people have been discussing the over funding of Dublin for a long time now. And like you and others have done there and previously, calling these people whingers, moaners, anti Dublin, jealous etc has been a common tactic from the start. It's an effort to silence debate on the topic. Other tactics include a huge level of whataboutery, whatabout kilkenny, whatabout Kerry, whatabout this county building a stadium, whatabout that county with a centre of excellence. Then of course, there's a huge amount of abuse thrown at anyone who has the cheek to question the millions pumped into Dublin GAA. If an individual posts about it on social media, if a radio program dares to cover the topic, if a player mentions it in an interview etc they will be bombarded with abuse.

Why the calls for change are growing now is because the senior footballers are gaining all the headlines and people are realising just what happened here. The thing is, many people are unaware of the facts and just how much funding Dublin received. You posted numbers and used population stats yesterday for example. The money was for development of under 18's so using the entire population of Dublin is an incorrect measurement. The funding also hasn't been divided along population lines. There have been other untruths like the money was just for primary school children, the money had no effect on elite standards, it was only for a limited time etc. Dublin people don't even know the funding began in 2002.

The thing is, all the lies, abuse, deflection and so on is not working as well anymore. People are coping on to it. The money increased standards in Dublin across the board and the effect of the money can be seen clearly with unprecedented results at underage, winning titles at grades they never had before, hurling especially saw an incredible change and of course that has transferred to senior level. Dublin ladies are a clear example of that. But what you have ignored and what all the defenders of the financial disparity have zero argument against is the resources available to Dublin now. They have yearly income levels of 5 and 6 million higher than most counties. This is ever increasing and the funding scheme that was only available to Dublin has been a major player in these numbers.

I've stated on numerous occasions where the money came from. We can't mention his name but a former Taoiseach was involved to grant the government funds, the Leinster council and the GAA were also involved in the distribution of funds. Without GAA approval, this would not have gone ahead. The Strategic review committee drew up the plan that was implemented. At the same time of approving the development of Dublin GAA, HQ were rejecting funding applications from other counties.

With knowledge of this, the huge amount given to Dublin to develop standards and the resulting resources now available, close to 4 million spent on games development yearly for example, the only option left is to split Dublin in my view. The east Leinster project has already led to improved results but it should not be limited to a small number of counties. It should be spread nationwide. That and splitting Dublin are essential. Now, how to effect that change?

Spreading the actual facts to counteract the lies is key. Not being silenced by abuse, deflection and being called begrudgers is another important element. Media organisations will have to stand up to it especially. Next those in favour of change will have to make representation to our clubs and county boards. With the previous president of the GAA now replaced, the opportunity to get things moving has been improved. Momentum for radical change is growing among many counties. There are already plans to target the Congress next year. Getting the facts out there, getting publicity for the movement, outlining the benefits for all within the GAA must be done now. After that, we can see what happens.

• Advertisement

It's people who want Dublin to continue fielding a single team who should be worried now. After every All Ireland the calls for change have been getting louder. With no end to the dominance in sight those same calls are going to be deafening in a few years time.

Sorry, I typed a long post out but you summed it up in a much more concise fashion. The realisation that the status quo cannot continue is now becoming obvious to many.

I see the poor individual that tried to get a motion before congress was not so much an individual but a thinly veiled attempt by a county board to get the motion in play. They could not get their research done in time.

The address used by Connellan on his letter to every club chairman used this address:

Fair and Equal Funding for all GAA clubs
    Cusack Park
    Mullingar
    Co Westmeath.

And the fact that not one Dublin club was included in his/their correspondence says it all about the motives. The GAA is a body, and like it or not Dublin clubs are members. He/they should have at the least included them as a matter of courtesy.

I see the poor individual that tried to get a motion before congress was not so much an individual but a thinly veiled attempt by a county board to get the motion in play. They could not get their research done in time.

The address used by Connellan on his letter to every club chairman used this address:

Cusack Park
    Mullingar
    Co Westmeath.

And the fact that not one Dublin club was included in his/their correspondence says it all about the motives. The GAA is a body, and like it or not Dublin clubs are members. He/they should have at the least included them as a matter of courtesy.

The motion that's planned for congress next year is in relation to stopping funding for Dublin as they already have enough. I believe that funding should not be stopped, it should continue amongst the 4 new counties in our capital.

Although I disagree with the motion, the abuse John Connellan has received just for daring to raise this issue has been disgraceful. Not in the least bit surprising however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Cusack Park
    Mullingar
    Co Westmeath.

You mean the motion he was never intending to bring to congress this year anyway?

hurling especially saw an incredible change and of course that has transferred to senior level
    Nonsense, laois beat them in 2019.

the kelt wrote: »
    You mean the motion he was never intending to bring to congress this year anyway?

Then why did he make a statement he was seeking the support of every club chair to get it to congress? He didn't bring it due to him not being prepared. A bit like his ill prepared debate with Mr Teehan. PPPPPP.

Then why did he make a statement he was seeking the support of every club chair to get it to congress? He didn't bring it due to him not being prepared. A bit like his ill prepared debate with Mr Teehan. PPPPPP.

This was the same debate in which Teehan had to admit to the huge impact the over funding of Dublin has had? Where he was using the total population of Dublin when trying to defend funding for under 18's? While also bringing up the random topic of land issues which is completely irrelevant to the huge resources made available for coaches?

I don't think John Connellan deserves abuse on Twitter just because he's making Dublin supporters uncomfortable.

Questions over the land issues must also be raised. Why are Dublin GAA pumping so much into player development if clubs are struggling for pitches to play on? Close to 4 million.

The same question in regards to spawell and Hollystown golf club, if some clubs are struggling for space, why are Dublin GAA investing about 20 million so far into elite development centres?

the only option left is to split Dublin in my view.

You should be careful what you wish for. If you do that right now you'll have four Dublin teams in the Super 8s and two in the final quite often.

There is the disingenuous argument by Colm O'Rourke which laments the amount of young footballers in Dublin who do not get to play in Croke Park or play county football. It would solve that problem.

But it won't solve his real problem, spoken from the other side of his mouth, which is Dublin dominance. It'll guarantee it in perpetuity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

Questions over the land issues must also be raised. Why are Dublin GAA pumping so much into player development if clubs are struggling for pitches to play on? Close to 4 million.

The same question in regards to spawell and Hollystown golf club, if some clubs are struggling for space, why are Dublin GAA investing about 20 million so far into elite development centres?

If you knew anything about the availability and price of land in dublin you wouldn’t be asking this question. How much would a space the size of the spawell cost in Westport or Athlone? The four million you’ve listed wouldn’t come close to buying one club a sliver of a pitch a few years back

I’m sure I’ll have the poster back soon who tells us it’s a zero sum game and they can sell the land for the same profits.

• Advertisement

Rosita wrote: »
    You should be careful what you wish for. If you do that right now you'll have four Dublin teams in the Super 8s and two in the final quite often.

There is the disingenuous argument by Colm O'Rourke which laments the amount of young footballers in Dublin who do not get to play in Croke Park or play county football. It would solve that problem.

But it won't solve his real problem, spoken from the other side of his mouth, which is Dublin dominance. It'll guarantee it in perpetuity.

And people doubted that there would be a buy in from supporters in Dublin. It won't take much for big crowds to start attending matches of the new 4 counties.

tritium wrote: »
    If you knew anything about the availability and price of land in dublin you wouldn’t be asking this question. How much would a space the size of the spawell cost in Westport or Athlone? The four million you’ve listed wouldn’t come close to buying one club a sliver of a pitch a few years back

I’m sure I’ll have the poster back soon who tells us it’s a zero sum game and they can sell the land for the same profits.

If land for clubs is an issue, why are Dublin GAA investing so much in elite developments instead?

And people doubted that there would be a buy in from supporters in Dublin. It won't take much for big crowds to start attending matches of the new 4 counties.

So it's now about increasing crowds. Presumably that scraping noise was the goalposts being moved.

If land for clubs is an issue, why are Dublin GAA investing so much in elite developments instead?

Dublin aren’t buying land Because there isn’t affordable land available in dublins so other approaches need to be taken to how dublin do things

By elite development you mean teaching kids how to hold a Hurley or kick a ball. By all means you can have that opinion even if the facts don’t support it, just don’t expect me to just answer without pointing out the fallacy.

So it's now about increasing crowds. Presumably that scraping noise was the goalposts being moved.

Eh? It's about having fair competitions. Splitting Dublin and funding other counties will go a long way to achieving this. People have questioned whether Dublin fans would buy into it but your post is a clear sign that some definitely will.

Stick around and you’ll see that quite often. Apparently there’s huge benefits that absolutely none of us can see to the split :). Just a little light on any details though so I don’t think anyone’s convinced

Dublin aren’t buying land Because there isn’t affordable land available in dublins so other approaches need to be taken to how dublin do things

By elite development you mean teaching kids how to hold a Hurley or kick a ball. By all means you can have that opinion even if the facts don’t support it, just don’t expect me to just answer without pointing out the fallacy.

Dublin have spent around 20 million on Spawell and Hollystown. You do know the plans for these sites don't you?

2 centres of excellence. Honestly, you know very little about GAA in your own county. I'm constantly having to provide data and information for you.

Stick around and you’ll see that quite often. Apparently there’s huge benefits that absolutely none of us can see to the split :). Just a little light on any details though so I don’t think anyone’s convinced

Rosita here is evidence that in contrast to what's been spouted. There will be plenty of buy in to the new counties.

Dublin have spent around 20 million on Spawell and Hollystown. You do know the plans for these sites don't you?

2 centres of excellence. Honestly, you know very little about GAA in your own county. I'm constantly having to provide data and information for you.

And I’m constantly having to correct the misinformation you provide

Quite the dance we have going on it seems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Enquiring, if you got your wish of a Dublin split into 4. What crusade would you embark on after a few years of all Dublin semi finals and Dublin domination? Because with the quality and numbers they have, that's a distinct possibility.

Advertisement