Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

Enquiring wrote: »
    I'm not sure why but you've left out the Games development section on the Dublin GAA accounts. It's under the Strategic Review Committee heading. Do you want to write off the 2.7 million there? Also, you've decided to compare it with 2 of the counties with the highest level of fundraising in the country, not sure why you didn't choose other counties for a comparison?

But as we have the accounts to do a direct comparison, we can choose Mayo and Dublin's from 2016. The total income for Dublin is 7,022,308, the total income for Mayo is 3,076,988, which included over 800,000 in fundraising activities. We can assume both have increased their income since then but that's a massive gap and Mayo would be up there with the highest levels of income in the GAA.

Here are the accounts:

http://archive.stsylvesters.ie/t2/news/reports-for-dublin-county-convention

http://sportlomo-userupload.s3.amazonaws.com/uploaded/galleries/21_uploaded/e72a9d45499535c4e5e22e637a12d314e9330af0.pdf

So the question remains, how can allow a county with the level of resources available to Dublin compete against counties with far less?

How can you say I have left anything out when you provided the figures? Baffling

Equally baffling why you want to focus on old figures. After googling Kerry and Mayo I just googled dublin 2019 figures

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/dublin-gaas-annual-commercial-income-breaks-through-the-2m-barrier-38779148.html

The problem is it doesn’t really support your notion of a huge juggernaut with vastly greater revenues than everyone else. In fact the income reported is between the other two.

Now you might well come back and say there’s something you think should also be in there. But to be honest, especially with the funding to dublin being progressively cut, it’s still really not going to support your arguments. It wouldn’t be a surprise for dublin to be able to deliver better than others on the commercials, for reasons rebel girl already outlined coupled with their current level of success, but the difference in income is actually surprisingly small, and certainly far far too small to in any way be the basis of a split dublin argument

Or to put it another way, if a county with dublins resources shouldn’t be competing with counties with “far less” then several other counties are a problem also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Enquiring

tritium wrote: »
    How can you say I have left anything out when you provided the figures? Baffling

Equally baffling why you want to focus on old figures. After googling Kerry and Mayo I just googled dublin 2019 figures

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/dublin-gaas-annual-commercial-income-breaks-through-the-2m-barrier-38779148.html

The problem is it doesn’t really support your notion of a huge juggernaut with vastly greater revenues than everyone else. In fact the income reported is between the other two.

Now you might well come back and say there’s something you think should also be in there. But to be honest, especially with the funding to dublin being progressively cut, it’s still really not going to support your arguments. It wouldn’t be a surprise for dublin to be able to deliver better than others on the commercials, for reasons rebel girl already outlined coupled with their current level of success, but the difference in income is actually surprisingly small, and certainly far far too small to in any way be the basis of a split dublin argument

Or to put it another way, if a county with dublins resources shouldn’t be competing with counties with “far less” then several other counties are a problem also

You omitted the 2.7 million under the Strategic Review Committee section, did you look at the full account I linked for you? Are you trying to fiddle the numbers again?

I'm not trying to focus on old numbers, we have access to the full accounts for both Mayo and Dublin for 2016. That's a fair comparison. Dublin are miles out in front. The evidence is right there. How is a gap of 4 million to a county with one of the biggest income levels surprisingly small? It's huge! Dublin are 5 and 6 million ahead of other counties and that's comparing up to date figures with Dublin's in 2016. We know Dublin's income and expenditure has increased since then, 3.8 million spent on Games Development in 2019 for example.

This really puts the nail in the coffin for those defending the financial disparity. The millions pumped into Dublin GAA has left them with a huge level of resources. The only option is to split Dublin and the resources are there for 4 counties to thrive!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

The split will never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

You omitted the 2.7 million under the Strategic Review Committee section, did you look at the full account I linked for you? Are you trying to fiddle the numbers again?

I'm not trying to focus on old numbers, we have access to the full accounts for both Mayo and Dublin for 2016. That's a fair comparison. Dublin are miles out in front. The evidence is right there. How is a gap of 4 million to a county with one of the biggest income levels surprisingly small? It's huge! Dublin are 5 and 6 million ahead of other counties and that's comparing up to date figures with Dublin's in 2016. We know Dublin's income and expenditure has increased since then, 3.8 million spent on Games Development in 2019 for example.

This really puts the nail in the coffin for those defending the financial disparity. The millions pumped into Dublin GAA has left them with a huge level of resources. The only option is to split Dublin and the resources are there for 4 counties to thrive!

You know you really need to learn when your arguments dusted and buried. If you really are trying to argue that counties that have between 3.5 and 6+ million in income aren’t getting a fair shake you need to step back and think about things a bit. It actually sounds comical. I mean, stating the obvious here but, how big a gap is acceptable? Because the relative gap from say dublin to Mayo or Kerry is smaller than the gap from say Mayo to Sligo (2019 income of 1.17 million) or Kerry to Waterford (1.9million income in 2019).

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭superbluedub

I don't see any other option looking at the facts; splitting Dublin is the only way forward in my opinion.
    That's no problem and your entitled to your point of view , however , it's my humble opinion that the split doesn't need to happen any time soon if ever

• Advertisement

tritium wrote: »
    You know you really need to learn when your arguments dusted and buried. If you really are trying to argue that counties that have between 3.5 and 6+ million in income aren’t getting a fair shake you need to step back and think about things a bit. It actually sounds comical. I mean, stating the obvious here but, how big a gap is acceptable? Because the relative gap from say dublin to Mayo or Kerry is smaller than the gap from say Mayo to Sligo (2019 income of 1.17 million) or Kerry to Waterford (1.9million income in 2019).

Ignoring the Strategic Review Committee section won't make it go away. The article you linked noted expenditure of 4.27 million for Dublin in 2019. You know how much Dublin spent on Games Development alone in 2019 don't you? Do you want to do the maths on that?

Dublin GAA had income of 4 million more than Mayo in 2016. They have income of 5 and 6 million over most other counties like Sligo and Waterford. That is an incredible amount of resources and it has gone up since then. I fail to see how you could make a statement saying this gap is surprisingly small. It's actually a shockingly big gap.

Dublin GAA are entering teams into competitions with not only having the advantage of having their own multi million euro development plan devised and funded for them since 2002, but they also have income and expenditure levels dwarfing other counties to the tune of millions. It's extraordinary. I think this puts the success of the Dublin men's and women's footballers and all other areas of Dublin GAA into context. How could they not win bucket loads of titles? Actually, to not have won more is quite embarrassing when you look at the facts.

That's no problem and your entitled to your point of view , however , it's my humble opinion that the split doesn't need to happen any time soon if ever

Well, the level of resources on top of the Dublin only scheme for 2 decades makes the split inevitable I'm afraid. This is an amateur sport, counties entering with professional structures can not be allowed.

As I’ve said the split will never happen. Pipe dream by a few internet posters, oh and John Connellan, who was incapable of getting his proposal to congress, not really surprising based on his prep for his debate with the Leinster Chairman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Enquiring. I'll ask one final time. You've stated that this is a national issue. I asked twice what you were personally doing to effect change beyond posting on Boards.

I await your response. Or perhaps I shouldn't hold my breath

Well, the level of resources on top of the Dublin only scheme for 2 decades makes the split inevitable I'm afraid. This is an amateur sport, counties entering with professional structures can not be allowed.
    Don't be afraid , your entitled to your opinion , I understand your position on a split , however it's not gonna happen anytime soon if ever .

• Advertisement

Don't be afraid , your entitled to your opinion , I understand your position on a split , however it's not gonna happen anytime soon if ever .

Momentum for the split is growing. I'm well aware that those who defend the funding disparity will not want a split. Getting the facts out and showing the level of resources available to Dublin will only increase the appetite for change. The more publicity the better.

Momentum for the split is growing. I'm well aware that those who defend the funding disparity will not want a split. Getting the facts out and showing the level of resources available to Dublin will only increase the appetite for change. The more publicity the better.

Perhaps you might tell us what your doing to increase publicity beside posting on Boards ie

Happy days bring it on , let's vote on this and see where this brings us .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Dublin holding the rest of the gaa to ransom ? Jesus wept
    If the gaa decides Dublin splits!! The key word here is IF !! Not gonna happen , your only fooling yourself lad .

I disagree. It sounds like you are trying to convince yourself here. The split is a very real possibility. It was mooted by the gaa already, we both know this. Your mantra of 'it will never happen' sounds more like a guy with his fingers in his ears and eyes closed, chanting over and over again, to hide from reality. The odds of it coming to pass are actually quite high

ArielAtom wrote: »
    As I’ve said the split will never happen. Pipe dream by a few internet posters, oh and John Connellan, who was incapable of getting his proposal to congress, not really surprising based on his prep for his debate with the Leinster Chairman.

And if you were following that, rather than just taking from it what you wanted to hear, you would know that the chairman was since proven to be not telling the truth in a lot of what he was saying...

ShyMets wrote: »
    Enquiring. I'll ask one final time. You've stated that this is a national issue. I asked twice what you were personally doing to effect change beyond posting on Boards.

It is a national issue. The future direction of the gaa across the country is very much intertwined with how this plays out. There is a reason why this topic was arising on basically every thread on boards - it affects every facet of the gaa.

As for enquiring personally going out and doing something, the same can be asked of anyone in this discussion, I dont get what point you think that makes. Cant you go out and do things to forward your views also?

And if you were following that, rather than just taking from it what you wanted to hear, you would know that the chairman was since proven to be not telling the truth in a lot of what he was saying...

Connellan was schooled, went in ill prepared and was shown up, hence his reticence to bring his motion to congress this year, despite all his guff on Twitter.

It is a national issue. The future direction of the gaa across the country is very much intertwined with how this plays out. There is a reason why this topic was arising on basically every thread on boards - it affects every facet of the gaa.

As for enquiring personally going out and doing something, the same can be asked of anyone in this discussion, I dont get what point you think that makes. Cant you go out and do things to forward your views also?

In my opinion it's not a national issue. Covid, homeless, drug addiction are national issues.

This is a GAA issue. Enquiring seems very passionate about the issue. I asked what else they were doing because solely posting on Boards won't make a blind bit of difference to future changes in the GAA.

I've been doing nothing forward my views because I don't feel that strongly about it

I disagree. It sounds like you are trying to convince yourself here. The split is a very real possibility. It was mooted by the gaa already, we both know this. Your mantra of 'it will never happen' sounds more like a guy with his fingers in his ears and eyes closed, chanting over and over again, to hide from reality. The odds of it coming to pass are actually quite high

HMMM and it sounds like you are trying to convince yourself that a split is on the cards , again you are entitled to your opinion , nothing will be sorted on Boards.ie thankfully, in my opinion the split is a long way from happening if ever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

How in gods name is it a national issue? The government should be getting involved if that’s the case, far more important things to worry about than one county being successful

• Advertisement

EICVD wrote: »
    How in gods name is it a national issue? The government should be getting involved if that’s the case, far more important things to worry about than one county being successful

100%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Garzorico

EICVD wrote: »

I think the poster meant it is a national issue for the GAA.

Garzorico wrote: »

i think we all understand what the poster meant , i think you dont understand the reponse;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 TheDalioLama

Garzorico wrote: »

Exactly

It's a national issue in terms of the GAA is what was said.

Nobodies comparing it to Covid & Homelesness.

The disprortionate funding argument is an open and shut case at this point. The Leinster chairman is on record acknowledging it's impact on the competition.

I don't know what the solution is, but something radical will need to be done outside of the what is being proposed, or Gaelic football will end up being a cautionary tale for other sporting bodies.

Exactly

Two posters mentioned it as a National Issue. One of the posters I believe meant it in the above context.

Other I suspect was just being a tad hyperbolic

Exactly

Nobodies comparing it to Covid & Homelesness.

The disprortionate funding argument is an open and shut case at this point. The Leinster chairman is on record acknowledging it's impact on the competition.

I don't know what the solution is, but something radical will need to be done outside of the what is being proposed, or Gaelic football will end up being a cautionary tale for other sporting bodies.

You're better off ignoring the deflection.

You're right in saying something radical needs to be done and I think appetite for it is growing. Many are still unaware of just how much funding was pumped into Dublin, the huge effect it had across the board in terms of standards and then the resulting increase in income off the field.

The more this can be publicised, the more the movement for change will gather pace.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I don't think you'll get an answer to this. At least other people who hold a similar opinion are actually doing something about it, besides posting on a discussion forum, though judging by below, not well!
    ArielAtom wrote: »
    Connellan was schooled, went in ill prepared and was shown up, hence his reticence to bring his motion to congress this year, despite all his guff on Twitter.

When was this? The last thing you want to do when you are trying to get an issue off the ground is to go in ill prepared. You need to know the rulebook and the issue inside out, or you will be shown up. Having been in provincial council meetings and Central Council, if you aren't 100% prepared, you will be found out, unforgivingly. Same when writing appeals, you have to drill into the nitty gritty or they will be chucked out - I'm on 100% success rate so far for that reason.

In my opinion it's not a national issue. Covid, homeless, drug addiction are national issues.

This is a GAA issue. Enquiring seems very passionate about the issue. I asked what else they were doing because solely posting on Boards won't make a blind bit of difference to future changes in the GAA.

I've been doing nothing forward my views because I don't feel that strongly about it

It is a national issue because it is going to affect the sport across the entire country. Covid, homelessness etc are more serious issues, but nobody said they werent. The reality is this will affect the game across the entire country, hence it is a national issue.

Enquiring is entitled to make his points, the same as you are. This auld spiel of 'well what have you done about it' is a load of disingenuous bs, and generally, the guy making that point is struggling in the argument. That is the reality here, people dont have an answer for him so they go off with petty stuff like that. If the split hinged on this debate, dublin would be split long ago.

• Advertisement

I don't think you'll get an answer to this. At least other people who hold a similar opinion are actually doing something about it, besides posting on a discussion forum, though judging by below, not well!

When was this? The last thing you want to do when you are trying to get an issue off the ground is to go in ill prepared. You need to know the rulebook and the issue inside out, or you will be shown up. Having been in provincial council meetings and Central Council, if you aren't 100% prepared, you will be found out, unforgivingly. Same when writing appeals, you have to drill into the nitty gritty or they will be chucked out - I'm on 100% success rate so far for that reason.

This was when the Leinster council chairman admitted to the financial disparity and agreed that it has decimated the championship.

Advertisement