Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭91wx763

Yeah, you'd never seen men stand around having the chats..............................

Yes yes. While you miss the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

EvFyCtHXUAk-cPN?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

I passed the park again today and plenty of people about the playground and the skateboard area!

If this then is deemed ok could we have a beer garden in the park?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Slide1.jpg
    Slide11.jpg

Latest LEA
    25-02-2021.jpg

Looks like Dungarvan now the hotspot

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

I passed the park again today and plenty of people about the playground and the skateboard area!

If this then is deemed ok could we have a beer garden in the park?
    Had this conversation with my family recently. I think the beer thing is the issue. I'll hold my hands up and say straight out I'd love to have a few drinks out. but your guard is down without realising it. At least in the park people are constantly moving. Ss regards the playground in there, I'm on the fence, too many common touch surfaces I've been in there myself walking and wearing a mask. It's a great amenity 2 k from my house and a flat walk with no hills.Obviously nobody planning on drinking in the park but the comparison is there because theres so many people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Daffodil.d wrote: »
    Had this conversation with my family recently. I think the beer thing is the issue. I'll hold my hands up and say straight out I'd love to have a few drinks out. but your guard is down without realising it. At least in the park people are constantly moving. Ss regards the playground in there, I'm on the fence, too many common touch surfaces I've been in there myself walking and wearing a mask. It's a great amenity 2 k from my house and a flat walk with no hills.Obviously nobody planning on drinking in the park but the comparison is there because theres so many people

Plenty of people drinking take away pints from the hatch in T&Hs around JR and Arundel square as well as the quays/plazas. No stopping anyone drinking in the park.

There is no law about drinking on the streets but atm you cant drink outside a takeaway pub

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Government voted down a bill for mandatory quarantine for people entering the country for non essential reasons. We now have the south African, Nigerian and british variants.
    F**k the Government and F**k their restrictions.
    We will not be out of level 5 in April. We will be lucky to be in level 3 by July.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

The government is doing appallingly badly regards helping people mentally with this virus, so people will do whatever it takes to maintain their own well being, hence this behaviour, you can't blame people for doing this

• Registered Users Posts: 14,025 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

91wx763 wrote: »
    Yes yes. While you miss the point.

If you learned how to make a point without needing to fall back into using tired tropes it would serve the argument better I think? Whatever you think yourself though I suppose, far be it from me to stop you hurting your own points.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I think the governments handling of this has been beyond bad overall, they made a good start but it all fell apart very quickly and it is simply unacceptable to be still in a scenario where as a small island we are still getting causal soundbites of "ah sure another few weeks at least" instead of having suffocates this virus by actually shutting down the borders, there would be no better 'circuit breaker' which they seem to love.

We shouldn't be 12 months into this and still the only real plan is to wait until the vaccine saves the day.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

I think the governments handling of this has been beyond bad overall, they made a good start but it all fell apart very quickly and it is simply unacceptable to be still in a scenario where as a small island we are still getting causal soundbites of "ah sure another few weeks at least" instead of having suffocates this virus by actually shutting down the borders, there would be no better 'circuit breaker' which they seem to love.

We shouldn't be 12 months into this and still the only real plan is to wait until the vaccine saves the day.

I agree with the sentiment of what your saying.

However the reality of closing the border with the North was never, ever going to be achievable.
    And unless you had a cross-border policy agreed upon, we were always only ever going to be as "good" as our northerly neighbours when it came to suppression of the virus. And we know how they did.

strict border controls is just too politically sensitive at a national level but also at a European level, no political party would dare go there, but the governments overall approach, is declining rapidly

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

i agree with you-but just because the Government is making a hames of this-its no excuse for people to ease up on the restrictions.I fear that even with the good weather the last two days here in Waterford are people planning on extending their 5k?

niallo76 wrote: »
    i agree with you-but just because the Government is making a hames of this-its no excuse for people to ease up on the restrictions.I fear that even with the good weather the last two days here in Waterford are people planning on extending their 5k?

it depends on what you intend on doing outside of that 5k, if its very likely you ll be on your own, i dont see an issue, i and others have been doing this all a long, this is fine, people need to do what they need to do

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭91wx763

If you learned how to make a point without needing to fall back into using tired tropes it would serve the argument better I think? Whatever you think yourself though I suppose, far be it from me to stop you hurting your own points.

Well come back to me when covid visits your door or when we are in lockdown 7 or 8 and say I wonder why it all went wrong, must be someone elses fault, government, brazillian meat factory workers, english coming here etc etc

Well come back to me when covid visits your door or when we are in lockdown 7 or 8 and say I wonder why it all went wrong, must be someone elses fault, government, brazillian meat factory workers, english coming here etc etc

It won't matter where he goes. Once infected people can freely move around once entering this country we will never be out of restrictions.

Hijpo wrote: »
    It won't matter where he goes. Once infected people can freely move around once entering this country we will never be out of restrictions.

we will indeed, when the vaccine becomes more widely introduced, we should see a rapid decline, as some countries are showing, its the beginning of the end

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    we will indeed, when the vaccine becomes more widely introduced, we should see a rapid decline, as some countries are showing, its the beginning of the end

So what is the criteria for coming out of lockdown now? Zero covid? Less than x 14 day moving average? Enough so that the health system cannot be overwhelmed? When someone in government decides to pick a number out of their hole?

If its zero covid the enforced quarantine needs to be done.
    If it's once the health system cannot be overwhelmed then what does that take into account? The region you are in because each hospital had a different amount of ICU beds.

Its all a mess, it's been a mess for far too long.
    You can say you can't predict xyz but the fact is we knew how contagious this thing was, we knew it would come in from outside Ireland and nothing was done to even give any of the systems a chance to catch it before it was released into communities.

So what is the criteria for coming out of lockdown now? Zero covid? Less than x 14 day moving average? Enough so that the health system cannot be overwhelmed? When someone in government decides to pick a number out of their hole?

shur no one truly knows how to deal with this thing, all governments are struggling with it, we will be in far better shape in a few months, id imagine the situation with the health system will be critical in these decisions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If people can't move at least within county boundaries come April then the whole system will collapse. So we better do the right thing now and government needs to get its messaging sorted on that date. Behave now get a reward sort of thing. It feels like it's been left to NPHET.

• Advertisement

If people can't move at least within county boundaries come April then the whole system will collapse. So we better do the right thing now and government needs to get its messaging sorted on that date. Behave now get a reward sort of thing. It feels like it's been left to NPHET.

id say many business owners will have enough in a couple of months, im expecting mass protests there by opening, cant blame them either

shur no one truly knows how to deal with this thing, all governments are struggling with it, we will be in far better shape in a few months, id imagine the situation with the health system will be critical in these decisions

All governments don't have the bottleneck opportunities ours do. You might not keep it out, fair enough, but they can do so much more to slow it down.

All governments don't have the bottleneck opportunities ours do. You might not keep it out, fair enough, but they can do so much more to slow it down.

they can indeed do a lot more, but....

Slide1.jpg
    Slide11.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

Is there a deaths by county breakdown anywhere, how is waterford doing these days?

MacGyver wrote: »
    Is there a deaths by county breakdown anywhere, how is waterford doing these days?
    CSO up to 19/02/2021
    https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/br/b-cdc/covid-19deathsandcasesseries25/

click on show table at the bottom for totals

Show Table: Table 1 Profile of COVID-19 Deaths and Cases up to and including Friday February 19 2021

and Show Table: Table 2 & 2A Weekly Profile of COVID-19 Confirmed Deaths

Covid has visited my door, where do I sit?

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0227/1199696-coronavirus-new-zealand/

New Zealand are well and truly dealing with it,in the best way...astonishing and heartbreakingly sad that Ireland hasn't followed their template from day one...25 deaths since Covid started compared to our 4000 plus...and yet our government still not imposing mandatory quarantining.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

niallo76 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0227/1199696-coronavirus-new-zealand/

New Zealand are well and truly dealing with it,in the best way...astonishing and heartbreakingly sad that Ireland hasn't followed their template from day one...25 deaths since Covid started compared to our 4000 plus...and yet our government still not imposing mandatory quarantining.

If we were 2000 km from the next country we could have done things differently as well.

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    If we were 2000 km from the next country we could have done things differently as well.

I don't get what you mean?

Advertisement