Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Hippo wrote: »
    She's a terrific contributor and I think her slots reveal quite a few other contributors as being absolute wafflers.

She's fantastic. I couldn't care less about tennis 90% of the time, but I always find her appearances excellent.

She's so knowledgable and precise and can talk about the sport and its wider context with such authority - it never feels like she's overreaching when talking about the social and political aspects of sport - her observations always feel effortlessly bang on the money. And her sense of humour is excellently dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

The new audiobed is an absolute banger

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭jones

yermandan wrote: »
    The new audiobed is an absolute banger

I love the "put some respect on my name" from Ken haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

ongarite wrote: »
    Excellent podcast again today.
    Tim Vickery has some great insight on Pele documentary & the politics of the country of the time.

The Ken sound-bed is top tier too.

Top top sound bed

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Top top sound bed

It was one of the best

Mark Horgan must produce music professionally as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

i usually save the pod for my post work jog around the forest by where i live. i haven't met a lot of the neighbors yet because of restrictions but i know a few faces to see. listening to the pod today and the new audio bed comes on and caught me off guard .i absolutely am losing it laughing out loud and i come around a corner to meet a full family who live across the road from me head on. they now think i am completely mental laughing my head off running in woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

I think this is possibly Ken not wanting to get sidetracked on the point he's trying to make. Murph has a serious tendency to interrupt at just the wrong time.

Ya I do think this is the case too. Ken and Murph have good back and forth at times, however I think on Mondays pod Ken had enough of Murphs fact checking :D

On a side note has anyone watched the Pele doc they’re talking about today?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

When they had the TV run Murph was excellent, remember a bit they done on a Ireland Soviet Union game from 1974 that was hilarious and the skills of hurling with John Mullane.

The Blackboard Jungle story was one of the funniest things they've ever done.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Deadly, love it when Vickery is on.

Just wandered into the kitchen OTB on the radio, he's on that too.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Was up early one morning a while ago, put on TG4 and they were playing France 24, they had Vickery on talking about the Amazon burning, a man of many talents.

Edit: Here it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

On Mondays pod Murph corrected Eoin's pronunciation of the word film (fillum). Has anyone on the show ever called out how Muph pronounces the word "made" as "med"?

It drives me mad. Is it a Galway thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

On Mondays pod Murph corrected Eoin's pronunciation of the word film (fillum). Has anyone on the show ever called out how Muph pronounces the word "made" as "med"?

It's not a Galway city thing and I know a few out Milltown direction but not heard it.
    I have heard other people use the same pronounciation before but no real link between those that med it.

To be fair, I can barely speak good myself so I find it hard to criticise others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Pretty sure Ken made a thing of it a year or two ago.

Mad how we fixate on how people pronounce things slightly differently but not a massive deal if it's completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Do you not remember Ken ripping the piss a few weeks back about this exact thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

I live in Mayo and lots of people pronounce it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Do you not remember Ken ripping the piss a few weeks back about this exact thing?

ah no, must have missed that plus I'm not a subscriber anymore.
    Delighted to hear that.

It was recently!?! Time is going very slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Would be common enough in parts of the west, especially north and east Galway/South Mayo. Which is smack bang in the middle of Murph territory.

That audiobed is a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Arghus wrote: »
    That audiobed is a classic.

Anyone know what the interview section of the bed is?

• Advertisement

ah no, must have missed that plus I'm not a subscriber anymore.
    Delighted to hear that.

Ah right, it wasn't on a Monday episode I don't think anyway.
    It was recently!?! Time is going very slowly.

I think so yeah, I would have said 2/3 weeks ago? Pretty sure someone remarked on it in this thread actually.

jones wrote: »
    The bit were Ken said "med" as you'd say Ciaran...I nearly crashed the car the med (made) thing has WRECKED my head for years ha ha ha

So turns out my idea of time has lost any relation with reality :o

This was over 2 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Anyone else finding Ken's reading of stats getting a little tedious? The one where he was talking about tackles (Walcott/Hendrick having completed none etc) was funny but he's been aimlessly reading stats for like 10 minutes on a few pods recently. Just find it doesn't add anything to the pod and takes away from the better topics. Especially when they start going off on a tangent on the stats!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Anyone else finding Ken's reading of stats getting a little tedious? The one where he was talking about tackles (Walcott/Hendrick having completed none etc) was funny but he's been aimlessly reading stats for like 10 minutes on a few pods recently. Just find it doesn't add anything to the pod and takes away from the better topics. Especially when they start going off on a tangent on the stats!

Yeah, now you say it, yeah. Nerd nonsense as Craig Burley would say.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I'd be delighted if I never heard about expected goals again.

I'd be of the view that I find stats as one of the interesting ways to think about the game. I like when they contradict what I thought about a player or game but I'll also bask in the glory of them proving me right.

That being said I've no interest reading stats sites to find the one article that might interest me. I'd much prefer someone like ken or a paper journalist sift through the dross to pick out particularly interesting stats every now and again.

I really enjoyed the Haaland stats. I was about to text some non listener friends to tune in, it would be their bag. The reason I liked it is because I don't watch much German football. Less than 5 games a year. I am keen to know more about Haaland and to be honest highlights don't tell the story very well for him. (Now I know why).

Getting the likes of Honegstein, Au Clair or Sid Lowe on for their respective leagues is fine. They're talented word people and they are able to paint a picture of a player but comprehensive stats really add to that picture for me. I'd listened to things about Haaland before, and watched a few games but the stats element really added to it for me.

It can be a bit boring when you've heard some of those same stats already on another podcast - Zonal Marking - that Ken obviously listened to the day before too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

I found the stats about who's running the most and how fast really interesting, Lampard saying the players aren't running enough when Werner and Havertz were near the top

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Does Eoin take a lot of holidays compared to the two lads or is it just that his loss feels greater when he's not presenting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Does Eoin take a lot of holidays compared to the two lads or is it just that his loss feels greater when he's not presenting?

He has a young kid (dont think the others have) which would add some complications to life. I think he's probably got more side gigs going on than the other two lads as well so maybe, not necessarily "holidays" as such.

EDIT:
    Cant find any confirmation he has a young kid - thought he did but I could be wrong.

Advertisement