Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

dulpit wrote: »
    If there was no gambling then horse racing either wouldn't exist or would be super niche.

Absolutely.
    It's the only sport that is reported on where gambling odds form part of the coverage.

Sadly not the case, as Arsenal's social media feeds demonstrate... a new low that.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Absolutely.

Sadly not the case, as Arsenal's social media feeds demonstrate... a new low that.

Forget about clubs doing their own ads/etc. I mean main news. RTÉ/BBC/etc.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Synth Week!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Just because it's made news in US/Australia/Japan does not mean it's newsworthy.

It gets clicks because it's emotive. But in and of itself it's a non-story and bores me.

Yes but all I countered was your claim that the rest of the world “shrugged”. Now you’re accepting it made the news worldwide but was not newsworthy.

A bored bear does not mean it’s a non story.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I have zero interest in horse racing. I find it incredibly boring: it's just animals running around, with a few lads up on their backs, to me. And I find the way it is intrinsically linked and defined by betting in a way that no other sport is to be another major turn off.

I'm glad the lads don't cover horse racing, but, having said that, I wouldn't be too saddened to hear their takes on the story.

One way or another it has become a huge media story and I think how it's been covered in the media is interesting in and of itself. In one way I think, ah who gives a shyte about a guy sitting on a dead horse; no-one gets too sanctimonious over the dignity of the deceased pigs that go into your sausages. But then on the other hand I think, Jesus, it is a fairly mad story for a top trainer to be taking pictures like that and it does lead to further questions about wider issues of animal welfare in the industry and what exactly does happen behind closed doors.

And there's other angles to discuss - Is the media hysteria justifiable? Over done? What does the whole thing say about horse racing generally and it's outsized role in Irish life. I think there's potentially thought provoking stuff worth talking about there, even if you couldn't care less about racing - and the lads, being relative outsiders, might have something interesting to say. But, if they don't mention it, no biggie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dante

can we talk about Ken's appreciation for 80s synth football themes instead.
    I fell asleep while listening to Tuesday's podcast, woke up right in the middle of that god-awful 80's synth track at the end wondering what the fúck was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I fell asleep while listening to Tuesday's podcast, woke up right in the middle of that god-awful 80's synth track at the end wondering what the fúck was going on.

Less rugby more synths.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

I'm not sure if this was meant in the way I took it but for me Horse racing isn't a sport, its an activity for gambling companies and has absolutely no business being discussed as part of Second Captains.

That’s exactly how I meant it !

Raisins wrote: »
    Yes but all I countered was your claim that the rest of the world “shrugged”. Now you’re accepting it made the news worldwide but was not newsworthy.

A bored bear does not mean it’s a non story.

Rest of the world was clearly distinct from the media if you re-read my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

God-awful?

Wouldn't necessarily agree with anything DaaaaaaaaaaN has to say about music...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

redbuck wrote: »
    Did anyone else find the Zlatan stuff extremely tedious to listen to today?

Don't know why but I found it hard going.

A load of nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Not a rugby fan but really enjoyed the Jerry Flannery episode

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I want to preface this by saying I like Rory Smith's stuff generally, but my god he was talking absolute nonsense in relation to Liverpool the other day.

A really good audio bed remains relevant even when the circumstances change. That Liverpool bed (with The La's music) really caught me at the end of last week and I'm a Southampton supporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Still Ill

humberklog wrote: »
    A really good audio bed remains relevant even when the circumstances change. That Liverpool bed (with The La's music) really caught me at the end of last week and I'm a Southampton supporter.

Yeah, Mark really nailed it with the song choice on that one. As a bonus, it made me revisit an album I hadn't listened to in a long time. What a record!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Ken being pretty critical of City. He's expecting them to crumble for the rest of the season the way he is talking

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Nah he reckons they'll bottle the CL again, which they probably will if past form is anything to on. League is all over bar the shouting.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Flashdance is an even bigger banger when you hear it at 1.2 on pocketcasts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I know it's bad but how refreshing was it to listen to today's pod without Murph constantly interrupting Ken or Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭jones

kilns wrote: »
    I know it's bad but how refreshing was it to listen to today's pod without Murph constantly interrupting Ken or Eoin

I don't mind Murph (apart from how he says MED) but he is definitely the weak link in the trio although maybe he's needed to balance the other pair. Who knows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭bamayang

jones wrote: »
    I don't mind Murph (apart from how he says MED) but he is definitely the weak link in the trio although maybe he's needed to balance the other pair. Who knows

I think he has a role, a bit of light fluff between the two boys. I hope he doesn’t read this page tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

bamayang wrote: »
    I think he has a role, a bit of light fluff between the two boys. I hope he doesn’t read this page tho...

He's an egomaniac of course he does :))

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

SYNTH WEEK

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

lawred2 wrote: »
    Flashdance is an even bigger banger when you hear it at 1.2 on pocketcasts

Same with the tune that was sent in. I had listened to it at 1.3 speed and thought it was excellent. Then I decided, I should listen to it at regular speed and well not so enthused at that point.

Still good fun though :).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Can't remember what he was talking about, but Ken nearly quoted this word for word yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

why were they concentrating on BBC theme tunes today for synth week? Out here in the west, all we got was RTE. They should have gone with europe - the final countdown for sports stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

why were they concentrating on BBC theme tunes today for synth week? Out here in the west, all we got was RTE. They should have gone with europe - the final countdown for sports stadium.

4 of the 5 lads are from the Pale I guess?

I think "The Final Countdown" was mentioned last week and Ken rightly put it in its box- it's "Hair Rock" and has no place in Synth Week.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭al87987

Even though i don't really have any interest in the royal interview, I could listen to Ken talk about it all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

al87987 wrote: »
    Even though i don't really have any interest in the royal interview, I could listen to Ken talk about it all day.

From now on the Friday show should just be Ken covering the royals/Harry and Megan ... with some synth music thrown in as well.

Advertisement