Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running issues specific to women

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Any women who use a HR strap - where do you position it in relation to your sports bra!? Does it still work OK if tucked under the lower band? I feel like. I'm constantly moving it around on a run thinking it's too low down then worrying the sports bra affects it if it's tucked under it... What do you all do?

Between the skin and the bra strap, if that makes sense? I'm not sure if that's what you mean by "under". It just feels like part of the bra at this point, although it chafes something awful in the summer. If I wore it below the bra strap, it would just fall down.

I noticed on your log you're starting to notice the impact where you are in your cycle is having on your HR. I am only really starting to realise the huge impact myself. There is a week where there is nothing I can do to keep it low.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Any women who use a HR strap - where do you position it in relation to your sports bra!? Does it still work OK if tucked under the lower band? I feel like. I'm constantly moving it around on a run thinking it's too low down then worrying the sports bra affects it if it's tucked under it... What do you all do?

Hi V. I wear it just below the band of a normal bra (Shock Absorber etc). If I'm wearing a crop top type sports bra then it's in the same spot but sits partially under the thick band.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Between the skin and the bra strap, if that makes sense? I'm not sure if that's what you mean by "under". It just feels like part of the bra at this point, although it chafes something awful in the summer. If I wore it below the bra strap, it would just fall down.

I noticed on your log you're starting to notice the impact where you are in your cycle is having on your HR. I am only really starting to realise the huge impact myself. There is a week where there is nothing I can do to keep it low.

Same ladies and have noticed my RHR is higher that week too :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Yeah I think we're talking about the same place so! It will probably never feel totally comfortable but oh well.

The HR and my cycle thing took a while to realise but I have to say the Roar book by Stacy Sims helped a lot. I hadn't realised how the different hormone levels increase and decrease at certain days, so for me the last few days before my period are the craziest HR wise.

That book also made me very mad about little we are taught as teens about what our body is going to have to manage every month (if you're lucky enough to be regular) and expected to just put up with the cramps and discomfort. I'd hope it has changed but I'm not so sure. But I'll hold back on the rant :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

So lodged under the bra strap? I used to put it there and only back using one now and was wearing it right under the bra. Have a horrific welt to the side where it digs in. Lashed on the body glide and sudocreme to settle it and it is healing. Thought maybe it was too tight so adjusted it and two runs so far this week it is better. Haven't even screamed at a welt in the shower all week, winning?

• Advertisement

aquinn wrote: »
    So lodged under the bra strap? I used to put it there and only back using one now and was wearing it right under the bra. Have a horrific welt to the side where it digs in. Lashed on the body glide and sudocreme to settle it and it is healing. Thought maybe it was too tight so adjusted it and two runs so far this week it is better. Haven't even screamed at a welt in the shower all week, winning?

Nothing like the shock of hot water on a welt you weren't previously aware of :o

Can you not tighten it? I wear it below and it doesn't budge. Though there is a fine line between tight enough and too tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I'm going to try mine again tomorrow. I have always put it on 1st then my bra over it with the strap resting under the bra, I will move it down a bit tomorrow & see if it's any better!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

There's a video here showing the best position. I'm not tiny but I could never get mine to stay put in this position even at it smallest - these things are designed for men which is another #ranttopic!!!

aquinn wrote: »
    ariana` wrote: »
    Can you not tighten it? I wear it below and it doesn't budge. Though there is a fine line between tight enough and too tight.

Put the monitor on first and then the bra rests on top, so the monitor and the bra strap are layered. It's actually super comfy - it's only for the really warm days that I chafe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Nothing like the shock of hot water on a welt you weren't previously aware of :o

The shower is like laser guided missiles for any chafing!

Unfortunately with a lot of weight on like I do at the moment (seriously inactive most of 2020 because of the 'rona and only building slower back now) chafing is seemingly unavoidable no matter how much Body Glide goes on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I always wore it below the bra line, my current watch has it on the wrist though so it's much better but like the HR strap the watch is designed for male wrists so I've to have it super tight to get it to read HR as my wrists are teeny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Morning ladies

Has anybody tried Marks high impact running Bras? Are the any use and how is the sizing ?

Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I used to but they cut into me a LOT, I've worn anita extreme or momentum control ones for years now.
    https://www.anita.com/shop/en/extreme-control-sports-bra-maximum-support-2.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭API

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Morning ladies

Has anybody tried Marks high impact running Bras? Are the any use and how is the sizing ?

Thanks

I bought one last year but returned it as the band was too tight. There was nothing wrong with it other than me choosing the wrong back size. It definitely locks you in and is pretty as far as sports bra's go. Its still on the site (green underband)

I would've bought the same one and got a bigger back but I had also bought another one of their bra's and it fit perfectly and was in the sale so I stuck with that and ordered two more which were reduced from 34 euro to 7 euro online. Last in the line and I got extremely lucky. I had been searching for a good fitting bra for 2 years. Nike had a great one that just pulled over your head and seemed to fit like a glove but like anything you like, it got discontinued.

Apparently it's menstrual month. Anyway, interesting article in the IT about exercising at very points in your cycle:

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/menstrual-month-how-to-exercise-effectively-at-every-stage-of-your-cycle-1.4475075

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Sheedy234

Hi, I bought this one last year and it can be worn on the Bicep or Forearm, you wouldn't even notice it and it is very accurate,highly recommend. I tried the strap myself but was too sore.

https://proownedcycling.com/products/wahoo-tickr-fit-heart-rate-belt?gclid=Cj0KCQiApY6BBhCsARIsAOI_GjZRBW4M34E0oF5dkktIS3DtjWQIP2boqd0Lnrot5-e780J7mnAX74caAspXEALw_wcB

Sheedy234 wrote: »
    Hi, I bought this one last year and it can be worn on the Bicep or Forearm, you wouldn't even notice it and it is very accurate,highly recommend. I tried the strap myself but was too sore.

https://proownedcycling.com/products/wahoo-tickr-fit-heart-rate-belt?gclid=Cj0KCQiApY6BBhCsARIsAOI_GjZRBW4M34E0oF5dkktIS3DtjWQIP2boqd0Lnrot5-e780J7mnAX74caAspXEALw_wcB

This looks like the same technology as the wrist HR monitors in watches so I'm assuming (if that's the case) it's not as *reliable as the HRM chest straps (*I find my wrist HRM very reliable, others don't)

This looks like the same technology as the wrist HR monitors in watches so I'm assuming (if that's the case) it's not as *reliable as the HRM chest straps (*I find my wrist HRM very reliable, others don't)

Had the same thought and wrist HR for me really isn't reliable at all I'm afraid. For example, my mile TT last weekend with just the watch HR had me in 120s which I can safely say was NOT the case :pac:

Had the same thought and wrist HR for me really isn't reliable at all I'm afraid. For example, my mile TT last weekend with just the watch HR had me in 120s which I can safely say was NOT the case :pac:

That's mad, are you sure you were trying :D:D:D (kidding). I'm on my second wrist HR watch (had the other one for 4 years) and apart from the very occasional blip, it's spot on and even matched my GP readings to within a beat or two. I wonder why the technology is so hit and miss for some people? And actually, what's the difference between that tech and the tech in the chest straps? Must google that..

• Advertisement

That's mad V. I mostly use the chest strap now too but honestly I found the watch fairly reliable, both the FR235 and FR245, bar the odd blip. There was one 5k race in torrential Summer rain and it was waaaaay off - I think someone suggested I had cycled it based on my HR! I noticed a pattern when it was very wet it would read ridiculously low. I also got odd mad high reading too - like it telling me i got a new max hr on an easy run. So the thing is I just don't trust it despite it being fine probably 95% of the time.

Sometimes it will match up to what I would expect but I suppose the thing is I just can't trust that it always will! The strap is much more reliable once I wet the little sensor pad things before I head out. Anyway, I've been tucking it under my sports bra now most days and it's way more comfortable - I'm sure you'll all be pleased to know :p
    That said, when I'm doing speedwork with it on, I find it seems to get tighter?! Like I'm feeling restricted... I'm gonna guess that's more a breathing issue though. I've been leaving it off for most sessions now as most are on pace as opposed to HR anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Sheedy234

I have 2 hr wrist watches that's are unpredicatble , I got this last January as went to a guy for lactic threshold training based on heart rate for marathon training. I find this is spot on. Works for me anyway. My Garmin watch at the moment I would say is 60-70 percent relaible.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Hi all, enjoyed reading this thread. I'm 19wks pregnant and continuing to run so far with GP clearance, just slow 5km 3 or 4 times a week. 3rd baby but 1st time I've managed to keep up running so learning as I go. Was hoping to get to 20weeks running but its the only thing making lockdown a little bearable so would love to continue for much longer. Just noticed in the past week that even though I've just gone to the loo, 250metres up the road i feel like I need to go again. I manage the run fine, more annoying than anything! I assume its just the increased pressure on pelvic floor. Anyone else run through pregnancy? Would maternity running leggings help with this or a pregnancy belt? Any recommendations or tips to help as I get bigger?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

Hi all, enjoyed reading this thread. I'm 19wks pregnant and continuing to run so far with GP clearance, just slow 5km 3 or 4 times a week. 3rd baby but 1st time I've managed to keep up running so learning as I go. Was hoping to get to 20weeks running but its the only thing making lockdown a little bearable so would love to continue for much longer. Just noticed in the past week that even though I've just gone to the loo, 250metres up the road i feel like I need to go again. I manage the run fine, more annoying than anything! I assume its just the increased pressure on pelvic floor. Anyone else run through pregnancy? Would maternity running leggings help with this or a pregnancy belt? Any recommendations or tips to help as I get bigger?

I'm in this boat.... And like you my biggest problem was needing to pee! It was worse in the earlier days so I would plan my runs around places where I could pee!!!!! It doesn't affect me as much at the moment even though I'm 33 wks now so obviously bigger. Maybe I've just gotten used to it. I don't use a belt but I did switch over to just cotton leggings as I found the lycra running leggings uncomfortable. I haven't felt a great need for 'support' (other than a btr sports bra). So no changes really other than slowing down and fewer miles. Since Xmas I haven't gone further than 3 miles... Lockdown /Homeschooling has probably stopped me from getting out a bit more..... I suppose up to about 20 odd wks I was purposefully slowing down now I'm just slow!!!! I'm wondering if I can even call it jogging anymore........ Still i definitely feel its good for me. Gps/midwives have said its fine. I decided to take every wk as it comes hoping to go another wk now anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I'm 20 weeks and still running the odd bit. Haven't had that problem luckily and no pain/pressure when running, I just can't get over how unbelievably slow I am! More of a shuffle than a run and I get out of breath so easily. I would guess it's pelvic floor alright, particularly if it's your third - doing lots of PF exercises definitely seems to be important for keeping running. I've heard good things about the belts/bands but haven't tried one. There's a few blog posts on this site about running in pregnancy and postpartum - might be something useful there!
    Hedgehoggy wrote: »
    I'm in this boat.... And like you my biggest problem was needing to pee! It was worse in the earlier days so I would plan my runs around places where I could pee!!!!! It doesn't affect me as much at the moment even though I'm 33 wks now so obviously bigger. Maybe I've just gotten used to it. I don't use a belt but I did switch over to just cotton leggings as I found the lycra running leggings uncomfortable. I haven't felt a great need for 'support' (other than a btr sports bra). So no changes really other than slowing down and fewer miles. Since Xmas I haven't gone further than 3 miles... Lockdown /Homeschooling has probably stopped me from getting out a bit more..... I suppose up to about 20 odd wks I was purposefully slowing down now I'm just slow!!!! I'm wondering if I can even call it jogging anymore........ Still i definitely feel its good for me. Gps/midwives have said its fine. I decided to take every wk as it comes hoping to go another wk now anyway...
    Congratulations :) Fair play still running at 33 weeks too.

Hedgehoggy wrote: »

Amazing, id be thrilled to still be running at 33weeks! I was never particularly fast to begin with so can only imagine my pace by then! Must give cotton leggings a try, thanks.

eyrie wrote: »
    I'm 20 weeks and still running the odd bit. Haven't had that problem luckily and no pain/pressure when running, I just can't get over how unbelievably slow I am! More of a shuffle than a run and I get out of breath so easily. I would guess it's pelvic floor alright, particularly if it's your third - doing lots of PF exercises definitely seems to be important for keeping running. I've heard good things about the belts/bands but haven't tried one. There's a few blog posts on this site about running in pregnancy and postpartum - might be something useful there!

Congratulations :) Fair play still running at 33 weeks too.

We must be due around the same time, I'm due July 21. Been doing a bit of pilates but thats probably the only time I remember to do PF exercises so must get better. This will be 3rd section so don't know if that makes any difference! No leaking thankfully so don't think its particularly weak.

Ordered some running maternity capris from fittamamma.com, hopefully won't cost a fortune in custom charges coming from the UK. Hopefully they help. Let's face it, I live in workout gear working from home anyway so they'll be well used I'm sure!

Will check out that blog, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

We must be due around the same time, I'm due July 21. Been doing a bit of pilates but thats probably the only time I remember to do PF exercises so must get better. This will be 3rd section so don't know if that makes any difference! No leaking thankfully so don't think its particularly weak.

Ordered some running maternity capris from fittamamma.com, hopefully won't cost a fortune in custom charges coming from the UK. Hopefully they help. Let's face it, I live in workout gear working from home anyway so they'll be well used I'm sure!

Will check out that blog, thanks!
    I'm the 16th! Though fully expecting to be late if the rest of my family is anything to go by.

Honestly I'm the furthest thing from an expert so you'd know better yourself I'm sure. My pilates teacher recommended an nhs app called squeezy that reminds you to do the PF exercises and I've been doing them religiously since (and not at all before :pac:) so that might be worth a go. It's about 3 euro but I'd say there's others that do the same thing for free too.
    I'm wondering will I end up needing maternity running gear myself, hopefully the stuff you've ordered helps!

• Advertisement

eyrie wrote: »
    I'm the 16th! Though fully expecting to be late if the rest of my family is anything to go by.

Honestly I'm the furthest thing from an expert so you'd know better yourself I'm sure. My pilates teacher recommended an nhs app called squeezy that reminds you to do the PF exercises and I've been doing them religiously since (and not at all before :pac:) so that might be worth a go. It's about 3 euro but I'd say there's others that do the same thing for free too.
    I'm wondering will I end up needing maternity running gear myself, hopefully the stuff you've ordered helps!

That's the one benefit of a scheduled section, I won't go over! Was 11days over on my 1st!

Will def look up that app. You'll probably get away with it for longer on your first, bump seems to appear earlier on subsequent pregnancies! Though I was definitely biggest on my first. Ill let you know how I find them!

Advertisement