Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

And the winner of dreamer of the year is...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Cyrus wrote: »
    Daytona

Hulk, Blue Skydweller, Pepsi GMT....you will find asking prices double retail for them all on Chrono

I would doubt many end users are buying these OP's at 11k it's just resellers eating their own crap asking mad money thanks to the "shortage". The op is a fine entry level Rolex but at 11k you are into subs and batgirls. Seadwellers, datejust 41 etc...you would want rocks in you head. I don't know what nonsense I am talking? But ain't nobody on the Rolex forums showing these off unless it's on a for sale thread. People seem to take them from AD if offered cause they want to "build a relationship" or if they have to have any watch with the Crown and dont mind the crayola dials. People are so deperate to take any crumbs from the Rolex table due to FOMO.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It certainly seems to be a feeding frenzy with Rolex at the moment. A lot of dealers and flippers in the market and way more engagement with the wider world of non watch nutters and way too much talk of investment. Not good signs IMHO and all the hallmarks of bubble market. Personally if I had one and it wasn't my "forever watch" I'd be offloading it and getting what cream from the top I could before the wider interest wanes and the market softens.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Wibbs wrote: »
    It certainly seems to be a feeding frenzy with Rolex at the moment. A lot of dealers and flippers in the market and way more engagement with the wider world of non watch nutters and way too much talk of investment. Not good signs IMHO and all the hallmarks of bubble market. Personally if I had one and it wasn't my "forever watch" I'd be offloading it and getting what cream from the top I could before the wider interest wanes and the market softens.

already done :P hulk gone and gmt is off today, im sure i have timed this wrong but i think my money is going to go into watches that are selling at a steep discount (like my JLC PC) rather than a steep premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,752 ✭✭✭✭unkel

893bet wrote: »
    Are they really double? What’s RRP of the OP? Thought it was around 5.6? Are these 11k somewhere?

Spot on, €5.6k

Cheapest turquoise on C24 in the EU is from a private seller in France for €11.2k, next cheapest from a dealer in Germany for €11.9k

So yeah that's about double in my book, I'd say you'd struggle to find one anywhere in the EU from a grey seller / dealer for less than double €5.6k (€11.2k) after negotiation

already done :P hulk gone and gmt is off today, im sure i have timed this wrong but i think my money is going to go into watches that are selling at a steep discount (like my JLC PC) rather than a steep premium.

I think you have a good history of getting your timing right :D

Your profit on that hulk alone would buy you a nice JLC :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭893bet

unkel wrote: »
    Spot on, €5.6k

Cheapest turquoise on C24 in the EU is from a private seller in France for €11.2k, next cheapest from a dealer in Germany for €11.9k

So yeah that's about double in my book, I'd say you'd struggle to find one anywhere in the EU from a grey seller / dealer for less than double €5.6k (€11.2k) after negotiation

Hadn’t looked. Just saw the one on adverts for 7.8. Didn’t realise such a difference between colours. Especially the dog **** colours.

Are these selling or dealers chancing their arms trying to inflate the market.

Fitz II wrote: »
    People seem to take them from AD if offered cause they want to "build a relationship" or if they have to have any watch with the Crown and dont mind the crayola dials. People are so deperate to take any crumbs from the Rolex table due to FOMO.

This is 100 percent a factor.

I think you have a good history of getting your timing right :D

Your profit on that hulk alone would buy you a nice JLC :p

Honestly they dont sell for anywhere near asking. We all list high to low when selling and low to high when buying. I am also a grey market buyer and seller, so there is only ever 500 - 1000 in profit at most (when I get out of a watch for what I am in it for I consider myself lucky). Its the notion that a AD selling you a watch at RRP is giving you free money that has people hoovering up anything they can get. And these OP's are just the latest dirst in the hoover bag. On TZ new OP's are selling for more modest profits.

My profit on the Hulk and Pepsi would buy me a nice Oris, of 21 vostocks.

The OP dial variants are just the entire rolex thing in microcosm. The blue power ranger is more desirable than the others, so that when the AD wheels out a white dial you take it. No questions, no discount. The turquoise one is sold directly from the AD into the gray market along with a few bimetal datejusts. But the hope of getting one is maintained. Dont loose sight that Oyster Perpetuals are the most basic of entry level.

i think my money is going to go into watches that are selling at a steep discount (like my JLC PC) rather than a steep premium.

This is how I look at it also.

Do you want a 6k watch that is selling for 12k (well yes if you can get it at retail obviously but assuming you have to go grey and pay the 12k)

Or a 20k watch that is selling for 12k.

I choose the latter anyway. It’s a much simpler place to be.

I choose the latter anyway. It’s a much simpler place to be.

You also end up with much nicer watches. The warm fuzzies are not there for me when I pay the premium. You are like the guy on the street that paid 1mil for the house when all your neighbours paid 600k a few years before. Sure you have a nice house, but you need a "greater fool" always as an escape route.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Much better bet in my humble and follows the age old good advice of sell when everyone else is buying, buy when everyone else is selling.

And the current Rolex market looks near letter perfect for a market bubble. The degree of how far it will go and how far the market will soften is in my humble the only variables.

We've got a wider talk about the brand far beyond the norm and beyond the usual watch buyers. We have a boom in prices along with that wider interest and we have media and dealers egging it on and we have more dealers and flippers in the market. We've talk of investment in an area not noted for it before. We've got the fear of missing out as Fitz noted. People being priced out of the original top assets buying anything at the "lower end" that's connected to them. We've had a fairly recent rise in the number of sellers thinking they'll get out when the getting's good, or hoping to. We see some hoarding on the worry that this rising market will keep rising so hang onto assets until they get more valuable at some unspecified point in the future is another sign. The only sign I haven't seen is the getting into debt to get onboard? That and the fact that Rolex are making new watches on an industrial scale, but restricting supply.

It doesn't take much to burst a bubble. The slightest ripple of "eh hang on?" can start it. Stagnation can do it too. They were significantly smaller markets but I've seen similar with early Oysters in the 90's, Panerai for a time, military watches. Outside of watches, movie posters followed the same trajectory, as do classic cars. When the dust settles values fall across the board, the most insulated being the truly rare/sought after examples. The "entry level" goes back to under value in the used market.

Something like a Rolex Comex is always going to hold big value, ditto for say an original King Kong movie poster, or a Mclarern F1. A basic Oyster perpetual or a Jurassic park poster or a Peugeot 205 not so much.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rootsblower

This is why(if the plaintiff is to be believed) OP 41’s are going for mad money.

https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.ilnd.396016/gov.uscourts.ilnd.396016.1.0.pdf

Bulk selling to grey market dealers creating the illusion of rarity. I’d imagine a lot of AD’s are up to this malarkey.

I think you’d need a kick in the hole paying 11k for a OP. Had a OP 39 on the wrist last year brand new from AD, it felt very flimsy tbh. The new colours are horrendous but that’s my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

I find the new colours very garish I have to say. I really don't like them.

With ladies watches getting bigger I’d say the new colours especially the turquoise and baby pink are aimed at that market therefore bring a whole lot of a “new” demographic into the sales sphere

With ladies watches getting bigger I’d say the new colours especially the turquoise and baby pink are aimed at that market therefore bring a whole lot of a “new” demographic into the sales sphere

Asian buyers and rich kids also like the new colours. I find them all except the dark blue to be horrific. Have seen the red in hand in 36mm and it looked like a Orient...hell the orient looks better.

Asian buyers and rich kids also like the new colours. I find them all except the dark blue to be horrific. Have seen the red in hand in 36mm and it looked like a Orient...hell the orient looks better.

To each their own I suppose.

Agree about the dark blue but I actually preferred the dark blue with the green accents on the OP39

To each their own I suppose.

Agree about the dark blue but I actually preferred the dark blue with the green accents on the OP39

That green accent coloured OP39 was a stunner, and an excellent value proposition. The green really popped and it looked quite sports which went well with the brushed bracelet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭fat bloke

http://www.adverts.ie/23038091

OK. I know nothin about values of the particular model but I can't but take exception to the seller's "absolute bargain" claim!! :)

"This is highly collectable and will only go up in price" more BubbleSpeak.

This is more for the older chaps and chappesses around here, but some of you might remember the Buy&Sell weekly classifieds paper. Remember the buzz over the Circle of Hands 50p piece? Lord knows how it kicked off but it someone, somewhere, somehow got it into their heads they were vey rare and worth a few quid and convinced more that this was the case, who in turn convinced more and more until remarkably quickly they were changing hands for 50 quid. Until after warnings in the media seemed to make people cop on and it collapsed overnight. A tiny Ireland based Tulip madness. Now no way in hell is a Rolex a relatively valueless item. They are a very nice watch, but the madness seems very similar.

fat bloke wrote: »
    http://www.adverts.ie/23038091

OK. I know nothin about values of the particular model but I can't but take exception to the seller's "absolute bargain" claim!! :)

He is about 2k off the mark on a 2015, but its not ridiculous. 6-7k under RRP which in Rolex land is a "bargain".

Wibbs I have been waiting for the Rolex bubble to burst for ages, any decade now its going to pop.

• Advertisement

17-18 would be a bargain. 19-20 about right. 22 = typically irish seller who looked at chrono and thinks those prices are real.

Wibbs I have been waiting for the Rolex bubble to burst for ages, any decade now its going to pop.
    They said the same about house prices in the boom... :D

While Rolex prices have steadily climbed over the last twenty years that was mostly in the vintage realm and along with most other brands in that market. Rolex RRP themselves climbed, just like most of the others. Just cos... Well the market it seems didn't baulk at it. The Swiss plateaued around the time of the downturn, but before that they were chancing their arms.

The demand being so high that brand new grey market stuff is going for well over RRP, that SS can be worth more than gold models, that dealers are vetting customers to be sure they're not flippers, that the brand is being touted well beyond the usual watch eejits like us :D and even talked about in wider investment terms, that people are paying above RRP for entry level models just to get on the bus and all the other madness is around five years old and has really spiked in the last two to three. Some reckoned that covid would hit the market, but I say it will increase it for a time. People who are still earning/working from home, not going on holidays, not going out etc will have more disposable and more time on the interwebs so sales will go up.

By the by I don't think the bubble will burst in the sense of collapse or anything. When the market rejigs itself I see the best models will stay fairly OK, the entry level stuff will tank, but mostly the market will stagnate. People with too much "invested" won't want to sell, people looking for their dopamine fix will look elsewhere and grey market above RRP sales will die away.

Ahem.....I hope there is 3.5k to 4k of wiggle room lol

https://www.adverts.ie/23553051

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭scwazrh

And I thought I was being optimistic with my OP ad !!

Discontinued seems to strangely make a Rolex ultra desirable overnight sometimes with prices shooting up. But the Explorer ain't no Hulk :p

Discontinued seems to strangely make a Rolex ultra desirable overnight sometimes with prices shooting up. But the Explorer ain't no Hulk :p

Plenty from c24 from dealers available at 8 to 8.5. And that’s before you to deal with them outside of c24 and save those fees!

Aye, but someone has to be the first to up the price of this newly hot Rolex :p

Aye, but someone has to be the first to up the price of this newly hot Rolex :p

There are plenty up at the price. Generally brand new and unworn one, from dealers also dreaming. But sher a seller can ask what they like same as any watch. But that’s a 7.5k watch at a push at the minute IMO.

BA7-AFA64-B1-F9-4518-86-FC-A3-D4943-B24-C7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i was wondering if i had missed something!

• Advertisement

that’s a 7.5k watch at a push at the minute IMO.

Oh no, I totally agree with you. I was just laughing at the very idea of a watch gaining 40% overnight just because it was discontinued. Some watches might get away with that (for a while) but the Explorer is not one of them.

Advertisement