Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

And the winner of dreamer of the year is...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Its not just the covid effect, its that watches in general are more popular than ever. They have transitioned from something you use to something you wear. Instagram, rapper culture and the fact that anyone who get a little success seems to flaunt one has the "watch IQ" pretty high. Talking modern, popular sports watches here.

We only travel forward in time, and if we look back all we see is the disappointment of deals we missed. I said to you before Unkle....its not TIMING the market, its time IN the market. There is also the fact in Rolex that there have been RRP prices increases every Jan for the last 3 years. 15% up now from 2017. That prices back into the used market.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Fitz II wrote: »
    watches in general are more popular than ever. They have transitioned from something you use to something you wear. Instagram, rapper culture and the fact that anyone who get a little success seems to flaunt one has the "watch IQ" pretty high. Talking modern, popular sports watches here.

Not sure if there is (yet) any impact on the value of watches, but the brand recognition and desirability of Rolex watches among young people - even very young (pre-)teenagers - is huge because of those reasons. Pretty much confined to Rolex though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

It’s not immaculate by any stretch either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

How does anyone expect to be taken seriously in selling a €10k+ watch, when they can't even take a picture in focus?

That set of photos makes it look like the worst of Balearic Island specials.

Baffling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I could never understand that either, though down the years on ebay I got serious bargains on some rare watches because the sellers uploaded pics apparently taken with a potato. In the dark. Bad spellings have helped too. I got one vintage "Lomgines" for under a hundred quid.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

+1

Bad ads are the business if you're buying :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Wibbs wrote: »
    I could never understand that either, though down the years on ebay I got serious bargains on some rare watches because the sellers uploaded pics apparently taken with a potato. In the dark. Bad spellings have helped too. I got one vintage "Lomgines" for under a hundred quid.

Hirsch seems to be a difficult word to spell too.;)

Best deal I got on ebay was a sliver cigarette case for a fiver, damn thing weighs over 200 grams.

Bargains are still out there and always will be IMHO.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Too many vultures on eBay. The best bargains are right here on adverts.ie :D

And back to the watch in the OP. Still for sale, for many months now. Price has been dropping gradually down to €5k. You see people finding the thread, offering an amount and getting rejected unless they state it's for PM. Then a day or two later their accepted offer is cancelled. Obviously the seller wasn't playing ball and still had unrealistic expectations

The one thing in favour of the seller is that if he keeps this up long enough, he will for sure get his asking price at some stage :p

The Polar explorer has gone up quite a bit in value recently. I'd say so much so that it has now lost it's "poor man's Rolex" moniker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭893bet

Cheapest Swiss only explorer on c24 is 7.9k. I asked several times in this thread for examples of super cheap ones for sale? Show the links. Where are all these loose head explorers for 4k? Or full sets for 5-6k?

That’s what’s needed to make him look a dreamer....

Did you not sell yours for 7k? That two K difference is the bracelet and papers really. His original asking was 5.5. Not dreamer territory really. I think 5k is about right but adverts is not the place for a loose watch. Not sure why you are obsessing over his watch and keep referring back to it.

Haha, not obsessed, I have clicked to watch the ad, so any replies to it or any price changes etc. I get a notification

It's an interesting one to follow as I reckon the Explorer II is probably the professional Rolex series that has been making the most gains of the lot of them in the last 2-3 months. Even Paul Thorpe is now expecting a lot of growth for it for this year and posted it in his video this evening. Already happened Paul :D
    I was fairly lucky to have jumped right in the middle of this rise, I made a substantial gain on the watch in just 3 weeks. Didn't buy to flip it (bought from a dealer anyway), loved the watch, but at 40mm it is just too small for me. So that was the beautiful blue yachtmaster out for me too. And onto the bigger ones...

https://www.adverts.ie/22626091

5111 Patek Gongolo....apart from the lack of desirability, the chrono average on these is 11k....this one on boards from a user that posts a lot of nice watches 17,500. Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

https://touch.adverts.ie/sports/mens-watch/16848516

Sweet Jesus. The best part of this is the seller is pleading with you to check a website so you'll believe the price.

maxresdefault.jpg

That seller is bat **** crazy but picks up some unusual stuff.

Below was a good one. Is listed a few years at this stage. Think it was up for 5k at the start of I recall.

https://www.adverts.ie/5902589

893bet wrote: »
    That seller is bat **** crazy but picks up some unusual stuff.

Below was a good one. Is listed a few years at this stage. Think it was up for 5k at the start of I recall.

https://www.adverts.ie/5902589

He has some weird stuff, would love to know the story alright. A wise man pointed out to me that this seller has a very similar attitude to another adverts watch seller of some grumpy renown.

https://www.adverts.ie/22701874

Weird stuff! And knows how to add his margin!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Maybe it's me, but IMHO that watch has been utterly ruined by the "customisation". Why would anyone pay extra for a custom job that would be laughed out of a Seiko modders forum?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Maybe it's me, but IMHO that watch has been utterly ruined by the "customisation". Why would anyone pay extra for a custom job that would be laughed out of a Seiko modders forum?

Nobody does, modded watches are less valuable. Only the seller does seem to have grasped that.....

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »

OP41 are red hot. I told you they would be. Particularly the one that I like :D

Smartest move Rolex have made in decades

unkel wrote: »
    OP41 are red hot. I told you they would be. Particularly the one that I like :D

Smartest move Rolex have made in decades

Not that red hot you’d get one plenty cheaper on c24

Cyrus wrote: »
    Not that red hot you’d get one plenty cheaper on c24

Over 300 for sale in 41mm on chrono, for a watch only released less than a year thats a very large amount. Only 430 of the 36mm ones out years and years. People are just buying to flip immediately, I think a few euros profit is the thing people desire about that watch.

I think a few euros profit is the thing people desire about that watch.

This is of course nonsense. The reason the turquoise sells for double retail is that it is in high demand and plenty of people are prepared to pay silly money for one. Of course this attracts sellers who bought the watch at retail

Does any other current Rolex even sell for double retail?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Reminds me of this

Stephen-Ireland-Range-Rover.jpg

This is of course nonsense. The reason the turquoise sells for double retail is that it is in high demand and plenty of people are prepared to pay silly money for one. Of course this attracts sellers who bought the watch at retail

Daytona

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

That guy is mental. Will trade a diamond ring for a Samsung S6 edge, a 6 year old phone.

Are they really double? What’s RRP of the OP? Thought it was around 5.6? Are these 11k somewhere?

Reason they are selling high is a combination of newness, they are flashy and showy and that appeals to the entry level Rolex buyer to announce they are in the club, the fact that people are hoping for profit and mostly that they are entry level, somewhat available (compared to Daytona, GMT’s, and even subs) and cheap compared to Daytona, GMT’s etc.

They are pure dog **** (except for the navy blue one at a stretch). And terrible terrible terrible value for money IMO.

That guy is mental. Will trade a diamond ring for a Samsung S6 edge, a 6 year old phone.

He is bat**** crazy.

Below add is funny. Seller says the cheapest one is 29k on c24 in USA.

Someone else then posts one of the many ones that is listed around 15k and he goes off on one.

He has the sales ability of a rock. His price ain’t terrible, if it’s a full set and assuming he is open to negotiation.

https://www.adverts.ie/22669079

HE ALSO LIKES TO SHOUT

• Advertisement

Can all new Rolex trade at above retail every year? I thought not but it is certainly the trend.

Advertisement