Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grapevine (OFF TOPIC CHAT) Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It's still food, and the world needs to eat less meat

From the health point of view which you refer to - I'd say its more correct to say much of the west needs to stop eating too much food of all kinds. Especially highly processed foods.

The average persons daily consumption of meat and seafood equates to approx 9% of daily intake and as foodstuffs remain an important part of recommended healthy and balanced diets.

Sugar and fats make up approx 20% and whilst providing energy - make up way too much of our daily intake and are generally advised to be limited

Grain and vegetables at approx 56% make up the bulk of average persons daily consumption and are also part of recommended healthy and balanced diet.

Obviously these are averaged figures but it remains that both meat / grains / vegetables are important sources of nutritious food and provide a secure source of income for many millions of poor people around the world.

The above story seems to be based on efficiency, and as everyone can eat the vegan meals, it makes sense. They said they can't serve students fast enough otherwise, not like we can question that without the information re logistics that they have.

It'll be similar stories re adding vegan food to a lot of places soon. My brother is finishing up a PhD in Oxford, they (non-vegans) have introduced some vegan days there (and along with some other universities have voted to completely ban beef and lamb etc, which I believe is being discussed now as it is really a vote to engage about it with the University) and there was similar outrage from some people but as it was people in Oxford they were talking to it was a great read to see the logic and non acceptance of any logical fallacies from the staff and students there.

Id agree insomuch it appears to be more about current covid restrictions - rather than any specific dietary type restriction or promotion tbf.
    The city council has said the decision to provide the same meatless four-course lunch was purely practical, saying physical distancing rules necessitated more sittings in school canteens and it could not serve 29,000 children in two hours if there was a choice of meat and vegetarian menus.

As detailed the meals are neither vegan nor vegetarian
    The Lyon city council has promised canteens will offer a meat option again as soon as restrictions are relaxed and pupils have more time to eat, also pointing out that the temporary menus are not vegetarian, but contain fish and eggs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

What they're doing is taking away the meat option despite people not looking for that option to be removed. People should be able to decide if they want to eat meat or not, instead of having that option forced upon them. I eat a lot of veg, but dislike (for the most part) pasta, bread, rice & potatoes. I wonder what they're serving instead of meat? Things like lasagne are just as easy to make with meat as without. If one was made with lentils I couldn't eat it as I can't take their consistency, despite trying them over & over, but no, it's grand, I'm supposed to eat it regardless of my preferences.
    The obvious thing to do would be to not serve a bloody four course meal to kids but hey...France :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,804 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

What they're doing is taking away the meat option despite people not looking for that option to be removed. People should be able to decide if they want to eat meat or not, instead of having that option forced upon them. I eat a lot of veg, but dislike (for the most part) pasta, bread, rice & potatoes. I wonder what they're serving instead of meat? Things like lasagne are just as easy to make with meat as without. If one was made with lentils I couldn't eat it as I can't take their consistency, despite trying them over & over, but no, it's grand, I'm supposed to eat it regardless of my preferences.
    The obvious thing to do would be to not serve a bloody four course meal to kids but hey...France :pac:

It sounds like you've got issues with food if you're that fussy.
    Tough, you're getting lentils and no meat, you can eat or go hungry.

But yes hopefully these kids grow up and realise you don't need to eat animal products with every meal. There's policy in France now to try and reduce the amount of meat consumed by the populace. Paris is getting cars out of huge swathes of the city, now they're cutting down on meat, they did invent revolution after all. Plus ca change.

It sounds like you've got issues with food if you're that fussy. Tough, you're getting lentils and no meat, you can eat or go hungry.

But yes hopefully these kids grow up and realise you don't need to eat animal products with every meal. There's policy in France now to try and reduce the amount of meat consumed by the populace. Paris is getting cars out of huge swathes of the city, now they're cutting down on meat, they did invent revolution after all. Plus ca change.

I think it is fair to say that everyone has preferences with regard to food. Good, bad and indifferent. In the French scenario above changes were made due to covid based restrictions on catering facilities.

I do have to wonder what the reaction would be in an equal butc opposite scenario where a service provider made a decision to provide only meat based dishes without consultation?

Would there be some protests? Would some people go hungry?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The way I see it, this is like a "toilet seat up or down" kind of thing. For instance, in a house where there are 1 male and 1 female, the toilet seat should stay down because 3 things are done sitting down (One N1 and two N2s). In a house with 2 males, the seat can be kept up or down (2 of each). In a house with all females it should stay down (all 4 sitting down).

So, since omnivores also eat veg based food, it makes sense to switch to the one type of food they have in common with vegetarians.

As for what I'd have done... as I keep saying, "Life is short, eat dessert first".

It sounds like you've got issues with food if you're that fussy.
    Tough, you're getting lentils and no meat, you can eat or go hungry.

Wow ok.
    'get lentils or go hungry'

= eat our way or no way?
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Wow ok.

= eat our way or no way?

Death to the infidels!

Wow ok.

= eat our way or no way?

My game my rules, you're expelled.

New Home wrote: »
    The way I see it, this is like a "toilet seat up or down" kind of thing. For instance, in a house where there are 1 male and 1 female, the toilet seat should stay down because 3 things are done sitting down (One N1 and two N2s). In a house with 2 males, the seat can be kept up or down (2 of each). In a house with all females it should stay down (all 4 sitting down).

So, since omnivores also eat veg based food, it makes sense to switch to the one type of food they have in common with vegetarians.

As for what I'd have done... as I keep saying, "Life is short, eat dessert first".

Fair 'nuff - see your logic and raise you one. Looking at this slightly differently and taking your scenarios - decisions are based on the theory of majority rules of types of no's 1 or 2's. So if there are more 'seat uppers' than 'seat downers" then the former win by default or is it put to to a vote? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Even if there are five seater upper (so, 5 up and 5 down) and only one sitter downer, that one sitter downer is the tie breaker, because the sitter downer would have 2 down, so it'd be 5 up and 7 down.

That's a lot of discommoded commode arrangements - might just be easier to go for separate seating arrangements altogether. .. ;)

My game my rules, you're expelled.

95% of the population disagrees with you.

95% of the population disagrees with you.

Not in this forum! Actually 95% of the viewers in here are probably farmers so yeah maybe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Lady Haywire, let's keep the chat thread light hearted. Let's dial it back a bit, no need to get into a row

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Not in this forum! Actually 95% of the viewers in here are probably farmers so yeah maybe.

Nothing sadder than a forum with only a posting or two a week.....

Lady Haywire, let's keep the chat thread light hearted. Let's dial it back a bit, no need to get into a row

Why pick me out? Takes two to make a row.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Nekarsulm do not post in this thread again

Lady Haywire, discussing moderation on thread can derail it and is not allowed, PM me or any of the forum mods if you have an issue you want to discuss

Lady Haywire, one week forum ban

If you post in this thread for any reason upon your return I'll upgrade it to a permanent forum ban

Everyone else, let's move on please...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Has anyone tried these?
    https://jackedup.ie/

Spotted them online about a week ago and was going to buy but appeared in my local greengrocer today so picked up the BBQ and Tex Mex. Never had jackfruit and keep meaning to pick up a can to try so something I was curious about, handy to pick up ones already flavourful but still no idea what else to do with them...'pulled pork' burger and chips maybe with the bbq one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,951 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Has anyone tried these?

Spotted them online about a week ago and was going to buy but appeared in my local greengrocer today so picked up the BBQ and Tex Mex. Never had jackfruit and keep meaning to pick up a can to try so something I was curious about, handy to pick up ones already flavourful but still no idea what else to do with them...'pulled pork' burger and chips maybe with the bbq one.

I got a jackfruit ready meal in Aldi last year and wasn't sure if I liked it or not. I can't remember what it was and I haven't seen them recently.
    I do remember it was very filling and had somewhat of a fig texture when it was eaten through the sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

That applewood cheese seems to be back in my local supermarket. If it’s there, it’s probably back in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Worztron

Has anyone tried these?

My favorite vegan pizza is the 'Chicago Town Sticky BBQ Jackfruit Pizza'. It's the first time I ate jackfruit - I love the taste and texture. It's available in Iceland, Tesco, and likely a few more places. I must try those jackedup.ie items. You can also buy jackfruit in tins. Cheers.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Worztron wrote: »
    My favorite vegan pizza is the 'Chicago Town Sticky BBQ Jackfruit Pizza'. It's the first time I ate jackfruit - I love the taste and texture. It's available in Iceland, Tesco, and likely a few more places. I must try those jackedup.ie items. You can also buy jackfruit in tins. Cheers.

This pizza is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Worztron

This pizza is amazing.

Absolutely! 🍕

A very close second would be the One Planet Pizza (Hawaiian).

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I was actually thinking of making pizza with it today. But I was too lazy to make a dough and pizza sauce. :) I picked up violife shredded mozzerella flavour last week in Dunnes...must check that hasn't gone bad as I opened it and haven't touched it in days. :pac:

Maybe I'll prepare sauce and dough this evening and use if for pizza tomorrow if the cheese still looks ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Omar Devone Little

I tried to cook jack fruit and I made a balls of the marinade. That Chicago town pizza is lovely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭65535

Is jackfruit always sweet.
    Even burgers made with it I can still taste a residual sweetness.

Eating meat linked to wide range of illnesses – study

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/eating-meat-linked-to-wide-range-of-illnesses-study-1.4499364

Thank god for lentils

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

The headlines are a bit misleading, BMI was associated with greater risk of illness.

The authors said that having a higher body mass index (BMI) accounted for a “substantial proportion” of the increased risks found among regular meat eaters.

Advertisement