Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grapevine (OFF TOPIC CHAT) Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭White Clover

greysides wrote: »
    That video is 'somewhat' disingenuous, lambs that young are not slaughtered, but they do look cuter and better suited to making the desired point.

I "suspect" that the ad is aimed squarely at an audience that wouldn't have the foggiest idea of what age that lamb is. It is deliberately misleading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

I "suspect" that the ad is aimed squarely at an audience that wouldn't have the foggiest idea of what age that lamb is. It is deliberately misleading.

They're killed between 8-12 weeks in Israel which is were the advert is from. Still a baby and it's still barbaric even at six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭White Clover

Bigbooty wrote: »
    They're killed between 8-12 weeks in Israel which is were the advert is from. Still a baby and it's still barbaric even at six months.

What age do you think that lamb is?

What age do you think that lamb is?
    Probably about about a week or two. It's an ad and is meant to draw a connection with the victim of their food choices which it does quite well without resorting to showing the usual gore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

73 cows - Bafta award winner.
    The story of Jay Wilde, the first farmer in the UK to trade beef farming for sustainable organic vegan farming, giving up his entire herd of cattle in the process.
    https://vimeo.com/293352305

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

What I found sad that even after making the decision giving up farming cattle to concentrate on producing organic vegetables to sell on the vegan market - Jay and his family were attacked and inundated with social media bullying and criticism for amongst other things eating eggs ..

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/823906/Countryfile-Adam-Henson-Matt-Baker

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

gozunda wrote: »
    What I found sad that even after making the decision giving up farming cattle to concentrate on producing organic vegetables to sell on the vegan market - Jay and his family were attacked and inundated with social media bullying and criticism for amongst other things eating eggs ..

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/823906/Countryfile-Adam-Henson-Matt-Baker

Yes that's unfortunate, I didn't read that. He makes this great compassionate decision yet gets abuse. It's not on. He said he is vegetarian and not vegan. There's times for criticism and this shouldn't be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

"While he is running a vegan cookery school, he has only ever been a vegetarian himself"
    Jeez, tough crowd in that night!

My brother's trying to go vegan but he's not the greatest cook. The bosh recipes look fairly accessible so I'm going to recommend that. I've not personally cooked any of their recipes but they look pretty good. Any other recommendations for entry cooks on a budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

Bigbooty wrote: »
    My brother's trying to go vegan but he's not the greatest cook. The bosh recipes look fairly accessible so I'm going to recommend that. I've not personally cooked any of their recipes but they look pretty good. Any other recommendations for entry cooks on a budget?

https://www.theveganstoner.com/

Also, i find https://www.tinnedtomatoes.com/ excellent, not too complex, comfort food

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Anyone got some good quick breakfast ideas?
    I'm porridge every day at this stage so would be nice to mix it up. Would previously have mixed it up with a fry up, scrambled egg, french toast etc but since cutting all that kinda thing I have little idea what else to have for breakfast. Never a fan of beans but I could try that on toast I guess.
    I login to work at 7am so breakfast generally needs to be pretty quick to pull together. Don't have much interest in veggie sausages etc or trying to replicate a fry.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Would you like a hot breakfast or would something cool do? A smoothie might do the trick (provided nobody minds you using a blender before 7am...).

New Home wrote: »
    Would you like a hot breakfast or would something cool do? A smoothie might do the trick (provided nobody minds you using a blender before 7am...).

I usually have a fruit smoothie as my sweet evening treat :D

Have thought about doing a smoothie bowl or something alright. My smoothies are just orange juice and frozen fruit so I'd be starving in an hour if I had just that, so would need to bulk it up a bit.
    Breakfast has always been a big meal for me as I would always have trained in the morning, so habitually I'm still starving in the morning. (was known to eat a chicken breast in the mornings for breakfast in office)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

EDIT: NVM

What about an egg (poached, boiled, etc) and soldiers? Sorry, eggs are probably a no-go.

Seriously speaking, would you have a preference for sweet or savoury? Muffins (maybe made with stuff like butternut squash or courgettes plus other additions) might be a good alternative. Or pancakes, or quiche.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Anyone got some good quick breakfast ideas?
    I'm porridge every day at this stage so would be nice to mix it up. Would previously have mixed it up with a fry up, scrambled egg, french toast etc but since cutting all that kinda thing I have little idea what else to have for breakfast. Never a fan of beans but I could try that on toast I guess.
    I login to work at 7am so breakfast generally needs to be pretty quick to pull together. Don't have much interest in veggie sausages etc or trying to replicate a fry.

I'm not a veggie, but love hummous on toast for breakfast.
    Or guac on toast might be an option? (I don't like avocado much!)

There is also tofu scramble, but I've yet to attempt that.

These are just savoury options, as I am not a sweet lover at all.

New Home wrote: »
    What about an egg (poached, boiled, etc) and soldiers? Sorry, eggs are probably a no-go.

Well I'm not officially vegan or veggie...I just dropped pretty much all of it a couple of months ago more because my lovely female hormones were causing me to feel sick when I ate meat and eggs at certain times of the month, :rolleyes:
    Just kept at it though, no desire to eat meat or eggs and I was a 3 eggs a day kinda girl but last few times I ate them I felt sick after so no inclination to go back now :)
    igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I'm not a veggie, but love hummous on toast for breakfast.
    Or guac on toast might be an option? (I don't like avocado much!)

There is also tofu scramble, but I've yet to attempt that.

These are just savoury options, as I am not a sweet lover at all.

I hate avocado :pac: Tofu scramble is something that I've been looking at...and can add plenty of flavour to that.

I could just do what I always did and not seek out 'breakfast foods' - nothing really wrong with roasted veggies or something for breakfast I guess.

Instead of porridge, would you do a rice pudding? I usually make mine with rice milk and jasmine rice, then I add a "custard" made with rice milk, sugar, and thickened with potato starch and a pinch of salt, and whatever "flavour" you like, I usually add lemon peel and/or a few drops of essential oil of lime or bergamot, but you can make it with vanilla or cinnamon or some other spice. Or you can leave it plain and add a spoonful of jam or nut butter of your choice, and seeds and dry fruit (papaya, mango, pineapple, raisins, cranberry, etc) or even a few of these with their syrup. Mind you, it'll be more like dessert than breakfast...

Also, finally! Someone else who hates avocado!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Peanut butter and banana on toast/bread if you don't mind the calories.
    Smashed peas on toast (peas are good for protein I think and I actually prefer them over avos these days, I've had too many avocado duds recently).
    Chia seed pudding made with plant milk and some fruit.
    Overnight oats (the texture is different from porridge so it might feel like something new).
    Soy or coconut yogurt with granola and fruit.

These are all more on the sweet side because I usually can't stomach savoury stuff in the mornings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Peanut butter on toast is my go to break from oats.

if you are really looking for quick and effortless , grab a bag of the happy pear granola. its as quick and effortless as you get :P

Question peeps, where are people going for there protien these days ? ( yes yes i know get it from your food but sometimes a shake is handy) myprotien delays are insane at the moment!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I ordered from myprotein the other day and they shipped that day, so maybe they are resolved? Bulkpowders is the other site I use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I ordered from myprotein the other day and they shipped that day, so maybe they are resolved? Bulkpowders is the other site I use.

I ordered on 8th of February, I live in hope but I think it's gone :( will get onto them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Toasted bagel topped with with a nut butter and/or banana?

Beans on toast?

Overnight oats is always good, mix some nut butter through the next morning for a protein boost. Top with fruit/berries and some agave or something to sweeten it a bit..

Good old cereal and plant milk, with some good wholemeal bread and topping or spread of your choice.

Your choice of hot drink with any of the above :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I make batches of lentil dahl and freeze it, often have it on toast for breakfast with broccoli and tomato salad, wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea but I love it

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/24/meatless-school-menu-sparks-political-row-in-france

It's mad isn't it, meat taken off the menu temporarily and people going nuts, it'd be the same here. How would these people have lived a few decades ago when eating meat every day wasn't the norm?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

A few decades ago, it also wasn't the norm to be vegan/vegetarian. The issue seems to be that they don't have the time to produce 2 different menus. So taking the number of non meat eating kids at 5% or even 10%, they're pandering to the minority.
    It's just as easy to have meat/veg cooked separately & pick & choose what to eat. Taking meat off the menu entirely does not make sense.

It's still food, and the world needs to eat less meat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

It's still food, and the world needs to eat less meat

But the option should be there, to choose if you want to eat meat or not. Instead of just making the decision for the kids with no input from parents or the kids themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The above story seems to be based on efficiency, and as everyone can eat the vegan meals, it makes sense. They said they can't serve students fast enough otherwise, not like we can question that without the information re logistics that they have.

It'll be similar stories re adding vegan food to a lot of places soon. My brother is finishing up a PhD in Oxford, they (non-vegans) have introduced some vegan days there (and along with some other universities have voted to completely ban beef and lamb etc, which I believe is being discussed now as it is really a vote to engage about it with the University) and there was similar outrage from some people but as it was people in Oxford they were talking to it was a great read to see the logic and non acceptance of any logical fallacies from the staff and students there.

Advertisement